Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Snow Leopard Update messed up my whole Scratch live Libary

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJ Case 12:52 AM - 1 September, 2009
Product: scratchlive
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: mac
---

I just finished updating my osx Snow Leopard,
then I turned on scratch live and had to see that the program now shows 3 copies off all my tracks.

One of them works, the other 2 are blank fakes or something.

Can anybody tell me how I can fix that???
That would save me a shit load of work, Thanx!!!
VJ Justin Allen 12:58 AM - 1 September, 2009
I can't help you other than to tell you that Snow Leopard is not yet supported. Hopefully your post will be a warning to others.
Serato, Moderator
Andy W 6:00 AM - 1 September, 2009
Quote:
I can't help you other than to tell you that Snow Leopard is not yet supported. Hopefully your post will be a warning to others.

This is true, although we are right on the verge of announcing support...

In exchange for my advice on how to fix this, I hope you'll help us in return by taking time to provide us with some information so we can help other people as well... ;)

- How many disks or disk partitions are running on your machine, including external drives attached at the time you first ran Scratch Live after updating to Snow Leopard?

- Do you have a _ScratchLIVE_ folder in the base directory of the drive you installed Snow Leopard on?

- Please turn on the "Location" column in your "All..." crate and copy the file path for each of the three "copies" of one of the duplicated files into a reply. I think you might find one copy starts with "/net" and the other starts with "/home"...

[EDIT: DON'T TRY THIS, YOU MAY DELETE YOUR WHOLE LIBRARY!!]
Now to fix things:

- Run Scratch Live and do a full "rescan tags", depending on which version you're running this will be under the "files" panel on the main screen (for 1.9.0 and later), or in the setup screen under the Library tab.

- Go into the "All..." crate and sort by Location, then sort by the Status column. Click it until all the missing files (pink or red depending on your colour settings, and with the '?' icon next to them) appear at the top of the list. All of the "fake" files you described should now be grouped together.

- Select all the "missing" files, then press Ctrl-Delete to remove them from your library.

Everything back to normal?
sheriffp 6:59 AM - 1 September, 2009
same problem for me... however when i deleted the 2 'file not found' copies of the track then shut the program and re-opened the file that was working had gone...

trying to do what you have said andy w. will let u know what happens.

PS i checked and 2 out of the 3 copies do start with net & home... the other with users.
fuckuall 10:32 AM - 1 September, 2009
The fixes you mentioned in your Post don´t work for me on MacOsX Snow Leopard.

First my setup:

MacBook Pro 2GB 2,4GHz
MacOsX Snow Leopard 10.6
Serato Scratch Live 1.9.1.

Im running single partition on my mac, no external hard drives connected when I discovered first Problems, using it saturday.

There´s no _Scratch Live_ Folder in the installation folder

The /net and /home folder you were mentioning seems not to be the Problem.

I fixed the Issues by renaming my ScratchLIVEBACKUP Folder to ScratchLiVE so I used the Backup Folder before opening ScratchLIVE - I renamed the original ScratchLIVE folder to ScratchLIVEx before renaming the backup folder!!

After that I opened ScratchLIVE - did a rescan id3 tags - relocate lost files and killed the red ones from the "All" crate (even in the other crates there were all files in triple appearance, so i had to get rid of them. too)

Then I started playin, no Problems occured.

Before Closing my session i copied the ScratchLIVE Backup folder i was using before and saved it, so i could fall back to that position when i´m playin next time, perhaps the Problems can be fixed till then.

Hope that this might help!
DJ Gatek 11:15 AM - 1 September, 2009
Yeah! The same happened to me with beta version of Snow Leo (build 432, one of the latest). I described the problem here: www.serato.com
sheriffp 11:35 AM - 1 September, 2009
is there a way to delete all pink error files at once?
DJ Gatek 11:40 AM - 1 September, 2009
yeah, but in my case it didn't help. after i reopen the program most of the good files were gone..
however, you can sort library by file status so all your "missing" files are together and then its fast to select them all by clicking on the first and then on the last holding shift and delete them all.
DJ Gatek 11:46 AM - 1 September, 2009
Serato! Please try to solve this problem asap. Seems like too many ppl have the same problem.

To me it looks like there's some new component in Snow Leopard that messes up the way SSL works with files. I heard about some embedded "bad files protection" or something like that. Just an idea... I'm not a software pro, and you are for sure :)

Anyway thanks for amazing product. I know the problem will be fixed soon. We all are just too impatient to run new OS :)
VJ Justin Allen 11:55 AM - 1 September, 2009
Quote:
Serato! Please try to solve this problem asap. Seems like too many ppl have the same problem.

Serato has said time and time again SNOW LEOPARD IS NOT SUPPORTED. While I know they are working on fixes, it is 100% the fault of the person upgrading to Snow Leopard that your files and program is not working.

Just hang tight everyone and let Serato do their job without trying to falsely blame them.
DJ Gatek 11:59 AM - 1 September, 2009
I don't blame anybody at all. I tried, it didn't work. I informed about the problem. I hope it will help to solve it.
Of course its stupid to upgrade to unsupported product and blame anybody but yourself :)
fuckuall 12:00 PM - 1 September, 2009
@sheriffp: The marked files can be deleted by pressing cmd + backspace.

@Dj Gatek: You have to do the same procedure I described above while you´re on 10.6 takes a little time, but it works. Adding new Files is possible, but they will be deleted after recovering to your old backup files.

@ VJ Justin Allen: We´re just tryin´ to tell others about our problems, not to be updated for news we already knew.
sheriffp 12:06 PM - 1 September, 2009
dj gatek

how do i sort my ibrary by file status?
DJ Gatek 12:09 PM - 1 September, 2009
@fuckuall: yeah, I did pretty much the same. It helps for this time, but next time you open SSL it's all messed up again. I spin quite often so I can't do this everytime, so I downgraded back to 10.5 and waiting for official fix from Serato.

@sheriffp: you gotta click on the the top of the first column in SSL. the column that shows little signs "broken" or "missing" etc. it's the same way as you can sort your library by artist or bmp or whatever..
sheriffp 12:13 PM - 1 September, 2009
cheers dj gatek.. i can't be bothered doing this everytime either.. how easy is it to downgrade again to 10.5?

does it mean reinstalling the os x disc i got with the laptop?

i think ill just go back to 1.7.4 as this worked ok for me last 2 nights at work..
DJ Gatek 12:21 PM - 1 September, 2009
not easy. yeah I just killed 10.6 (of course i did a back-up of all my data first) and reinstalled 10.5

so if older Serato worked for you I guess its easier to use it for a while..
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:19 PM - 1 September, 2009
Yikes.
fuckuall 3:46 PM - 1 September, 2009
Right, we tryin´ hard to workaround the problem!
sheriffp 3:48 PM - 1 September, 2009
I can't get it sorted at all. Im back on 1.7.4 until serato sort it. :(

god damn y did i install snow leopard without checking on here first!!!! lesson learnt!!

:( :( :(
djjoefresh 5:05 PM - 1 September, 2009
I'm on 1.9.1 and Snow Leopard, and I'm not having any problems with my crates and library at all.

All songs work, there are no duplicate entries, and no missing entries. I rescanned ID3 tags, as well as added all my songs to Serato again. No duplicates, no red tracks.

Setup:
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM
Western Digital Passport Studio 500GB Firewire Drive
Serato Scratch Live 1.9.1
Rane TTM57SL

I have my TTM57 plugged in right now playing tracks on both decks, I'm gonna keep testing but everything looks good here.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:49 PM - 1 September, 2009
keep us updated
DJSi UK 6:27 PM - 1 September, 2009
Quote:
keep us updated

I did a clean install of snow leopard, both SL and VSL working great, no problems with library or anything. Seems to be just the up graders having problems!!
djjoefresh 6:30 PM - 1 September, 2009
Quote:

I did a clean install of snow leopard, both SL and VSL working great, no problems with library or anything. Seems to be just the up graders having problems!!

I did an upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard, and haven't had any problems. From what I've read from everyone I can't see a pattern of why some people are having problems and others aren't. Weird.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:14 PM - 1 September, 2009
Quote:
. From what I've read from everyone I can't see a pattern of why some people are having problems and others aren't. Weird.

yes, that is what we are looking for too.

Thanks guys, keep it coming ;)
djjoefresh 7:31 PM - 1 September, 2009
To help narrow things down, whoever is having a problem with their crates and library, can you post what kind of hard drive you are using, and how it's formatted (NTFS, HFS+, FAT32)? Is it internal or external (SCRATCHLIVE or _SCRATCHLIVE_ folder)?

I use an external drive, formatted to HFS+, always plugged in with Firewire, and I'm not having any problems with my library and crates.
sheriffp 7:46 PM - 1 September, 2009
major problems with my crates and libary as mentioned b4.

Macbook pro 4
2.4 Ghz intel core 2 duo

4gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram

hard drive is hitachi HTs542525... format says mac os extended (journaled) ???

how do i tell how my hard drive is formatted?
thanks.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 8:42 PM - 1 September, 2009
mac os extended (journaled) is most likely the format of your drive.

but you can highlight the icon for the HD on your desktop and then hit apple + I and the info window will pop up. It should say there.
sheriffp 8:56 PM - 1 September, 2009
cheers chad s.

your right my HD is mac os extended (journaled)

hope that helps a bit. :)
DJ Gatek 12:00 AM - 2 September, 2009
MacBook Pro (early 2008)
Internal HD. Mac OS Extended.

I tried to make another user in OS X. At first everything was working fine. But when I started to run other software the problems with SSL returned. So maybe it's some third party software is conflicting with SSL? And from the fact that many people have that problem it should be some common soft.
saintberry 12:05 AM - 2 September, 2009
I had the common issues everyone is describing. 3 copies, not found tracks etc. On Friday I tired messing around with re-scanning and removing the missing files. I noted that doing this, new "found" tracks will be lost whenever you restart/logout.

The only way I could find a fix was to:

1. Remove all my crates
2. Select the "All" crate and then cmd + a and cmd + delete to remove all the songs from the library
3. Uninstall the ScratchLIVE package
4. Remove the scratch live folder (form wherever it is stored, usually ~/Music)
5. Re-install the ScratchLIVE package
6. Re-build crates

You are just going to have to bite the bullet and re-build your crates if you are going to keep 1.9.1 and 10.6.

I had no other option, I was brash and did not backup my 10.5 install before installing 10.6 - it didn't even cross my mind that there were going to be issues, I mean Snow Leopard is more a service pack than a totally new OS.

I've got gigs coming up this weekend so had to run with whatever option I found. I'm now organising all my songs via iTunes so that if this ever happens again it will be easy to re-build my crates.

I'm also doing hourly time machine backups - lesson learnt.
saintberry 12:08 AM - 2 September, 2009
Oh, my specs for the Serato nerds:

Late 2008 unibody Macbook @ 2.4GHz
2GB DDR3
Internal HDD Mac OS extended (journaled)

It's got to be a permission issue - SSL runs fine when you start fresh.
Ajay 2:39 AM - 2 September, 2009
Quote:

I've got gigs coming up this weekend so had to run with whatever option I found. I'm now organising all my songs via iTunes so that if this ever happens again it will be easy to re-build my crates.

I'm also doing hourly time machine backups - lesson learnt.

So Scratch Live wasn't reading your itunes library before?
saintberry 4:41 AM - 2 September, 2009
No, I never had that option checked in ScratchLIVE before moving to Snow Leopard.
Serato, Moderator
Andy W 6:03 AM - 2 September, 2009
Ok, I don't have a solution for this yet but we're working on it.

What appears to be happening is that immediately after the update, Snow Leopard creates two "false drive mappings", presumably for some internal purpose to allow clean-up after the update is finished. These persist for a short time afterward (or maybe not so short depending on how much re-indexing etc there is to get through) and then disappear.

If you run Scratch Live while these temporary mappings are still hanging around they show up somehow to Scratch Live and the application sees three copies of your files, either as an extra two "ghost" databases or two sets of "ghost crates", that get merged into your library. This is still guesswork at this stage but basically that's what seems to be happening.

Now if you try to delete the duplicate files while these false directories are still there, you may end up deleting the originals from your library as well since the "fake" entries still point back to the originals.

This problem will only happen if you update from an earlier version, not if you do a fresh install or archive and reinstall.

So far I believe the issue only involves OS X and Scratch Live applications, so for now please refrain from guessing about what other apps might be involved.

Since everybody has happily jumped in on this thread, can somebody please post in reply to my original questions?
Quote:
- How many disks or disk partitions are running on your machine, including external drives attached at the time you first ran Scratch Live after updating to Snow Leopard?

- Do you have a _ScratchLIVE_ folder in the base directory of the drive you installed Snow Leopard on?
edit: Click the drive in the Finder sidebar and see if "_ScratchLIVE_" is in the directory along with Applications, Library, System Users...

- Please turn on the "Location" column in your "All..." crate and copy the file path for each of the three "copies" of one of the duplicated files into a reply. I think you might find one copy starts with "/net" and the other starts with "/home"...

I'm especially looking for an answer to the last question, so if someone can help us all out by posting the full file path to each of the three copies of one of these files, from the Location column in the Scratch Live tracklist, it will result in a much speedier soluton to this problem. Keeping the clutter down in this thread will also help, please post only necessary information, thanks.
sheriffp 9:03 AM - 2 September, 2009
hey andy

i only had my laptop's hard drive

no base folder in macintosh HD drive. (however i'm now back on SSL 1.7.4 and cannot remember if there was one when i upgraded to snow and was using 1.9.0, nearly certain there wasn't though)

unfortunately i don't have the full file path now as the problem is not happening in 1.7.4.

hope this helps at least a bit.
thanks
DJ Gatek 9:34 AM - 2 September, 2009
@ Andy
internal drive only, one partition.
there was no _ScratchLIVE_ folder in the base directory of the drive.

unfortunately i cannot post the file paths since i returned to 10.5
DJ P Jay 2:44 PM - 2 September, 2009
Short info:

I only have the problem when I work with the internal HD. I have a MBP 2.4 GHz & several different external HD's...
PopRoXxX 2:53 PM - 2 September, 2009
Here's what I wrote on a different thread:

Okay. I installed Snow Leopard last night before I was heading to bed. This is what I've seen so far:

I didn't notice any duplicate tracks on my external. (I did not plug in my external HD until after I installed Snow Leopard, opened up SSL/VSL, closed SSL/VSL, restarted MBP). Reasoning behind doing that, was maybe - just maybe SSL wanted to rebuild/resave the backup folders with Snow Leopard.

I did have duplicate tracks with a QTZ file I made that was on my Internal HD.

Before doing this I called Apple about Time Machine back-ups and removing Snow Leopard and reinstalling Leopard 10.5 if anything bad happened. So I would have all my ducks in a row. While talking to tech support the guy @ Apple let me know another Serato user called earlier with a problem between SSL & Snow Leopard. It was iTunes related (using iTunes playlists in SSL/VSL). He also stated that the Serato user was trying to transfer files from his iTunes playlist on the Internal HD to the external HD. While trying to install Snow Leopard.

It sounds like the duplicate file problem is happening to files on the internal HD. But this could only be my case ... or may not be, I'm no computer guru. But I am computer saavy. My advice --> Don't do anything while installing Snow Leopard, except for installing Snow Leopard. (USE AT YOUR OWN RISK like the moderators say - or just wait for Serato to give the green light). I'm just too excited to, I'm a nerd.

Anyhoo ...

I turned SSL/VSL on, ran 2 videos simultaneously with both effects running on both tracks and crossfading back and forth with QTZ files overlayed on both tracks. No dropouts, no glitchyness, etc. But then again it was only 2 videos before I headed to bed. I'm going to play/test it today for a good while today and let all you guys know what happens.
saintberry 9:46 PM - 2 September, 2009
What's the deal with this Serato? scratchlive.net

Posted 31st of August, maybe that should be updated or removed.
Serato, Moderator
Andy W 12:38 AM - 3 September, 2009
Quote:
What's the deal with this Serato? scratchlive.net

Posted 31st of August, maybe that should be updated or removed.

Support for Snow Leopard has been announced, the problem we're discussing here only effects certain users under specific conditions and is being treated as a known issue with the update process.

Unless you encounter this problem pretty much immediately upon updating, you're not going to have this problem at any later stage.

The issue only affects a library on your system drive, if you only use an external drive to store your library this is not going to affect you.

In general when dealing with any software (or hardware) that is absolutely brand new, it's a good idea to follow the advice given in our announcement:
Quote:
Serato do however encourage our professional customers to wait before upgrading to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, as usually a new operating system release will be followed by a bugfix or service upgrade within weeks of initial release.

Professional users should follow the "if it's not broken, don't try to fix it" approach, and not jump on a "point zero" version of new software at all unless absolutely necessary.

If you do decide to update now regardless, MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR LIBRARY FIRST. If you don't routinely do this anyway, you should - it's not just updates or bugs that can wreck your library, a hard disk can completely fail at any time leaving you with nothing.
surferdude 1:23 AM - 3 September, 2009
Quote:

How many disks or disk partitions are running on your machine, including external drives attached at the time you first ran Scratch Live after updating to Snow Leopard?

I’m not quite sure about disks and disk partitions, but I believe it’s just one. The computer wasn’t connected to any external drives after the update was completed and I first opened Scratch Live.

Quote:

edit: Click the drive in the Finder sidebar and see if "_ScratchLIVE_" is in the directory along with Applications, Library, System Users...

There is no _ScratchLIVE_ folder in the base directory.

Quote:

1. /net/Users/*name*/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Ya Boy/We Run LA (feat. Dr. Hollywood) – Single
2. /Users/*name*/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Ya Boy/We Run LA (feat. Dr. Hollywood) – Single
3. /home/Users/*name*/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Ya Boy/We Run LA (feat. Dr. Hollywood) – Single

I have had the same issues as others who have posted in this forum. If any of the three files is deleted, the song disappears from the SSL library the next time the application is opened. Furthermore, I am unable to add any new songs. The songs can be added when the application is open, but they do not appear when the application is opened the next time.

I did also notice something interesting regarding songs that I’ve accidentally deleted from my library. I have cue points on each of my songs and when I tried to re-add the songs to the library, they appear with the cue points intact, but even these songs would need to be added to the library again each time the program was re-opened.
Dio 3:00 AM - 3 September, 2009
I also jumped the gun and upgraded to 10.6, started to experience the "ghost duplicates", since Im running it all from my internal HDD. However, I keep a backup of my whole HDD, as a last resort in case, and that one is 10.5.6 ;)

Now, you guys know that there is a backup crate folder created, this one is the one that updates week to week... when I had the issue, I deleted my crates, and used the backup to re-create them..... no luck!

Since I keep my music folders organized (standing ovation), I just re-created my crates, it took a whole 15 minutes, and boom!.... 1.9.1 is working solidly.

My setup:
13" Macbook (black), 2.4 GHZ Intel dual core, 4GB of DDR2 Ram, 500 GB 7200 rpm seagate hdd bootcamped for xp (100 GB used for that). Snow leopard freed up 17 GB on my Mac partition, and sped the system up a bit.

Btw, I work @ Geek Squad, and as a PC technician, my advice to all users is to protect your data by backing up frequently, trust me, it will save headaches.
Thanks for your input guys, I hope mine helps as well.
Conradaroma 4:28 AM - 3 September, 2009
Internal Drive, no _SCRATCHLIVE_ in root.

I did see the 3 ghost files, so I came here, when I went back in to Serato to check out the locations, it showed many files as red. I'm just gonna test deleting one and see if it affects my library, and if not, i might try to delete all the red ones. It's likely that those ghost mount drives from the upgrade are no longer around and Scratch Live can't find those files that it thought was in it's library...?

Of course I'll wait to see what else this thread pops out.
DJ Gatek 8:11 AM - 3 September, 2009
Quote:
Unless you encounter this problem pretty much immediately upon updating, you're not going to have this problem at any later stage.

I'm afraid it's not true. I didn't open SSL until the next day after updating to Snow Leopard. So more than 24 hours passed after updating and the problem was still there.
DJ M4G 3:44 PM - 3 September, 2009
I've got the same problem but I'm able to add new files to the library.
But then it will be displayed as 3 Tracks
With the location /net and /home the one with /users will work.
Please keep me up to date with new ideas!
victor_M 4:06 PM - 3 September, 2009
I've been following the thread and this is what I gather

If your music is on 1 drive (Not partitioned) you get three copies. 1 real and 2 phantom.

However if your drive is partitioned (1 for os and 1 for music) you might not have the problem.

Has anyone done a clean install and do you have the same issue?

for all you techie's this article might give you a little understnading what's happening. looks like apple made some changes how it looks for files.

arstechnica.com
J-Love 10:59 PM - 3 September, 2009
Still not working for me. Deleted crates and songs.... recreated crates, reimported files and everything seems fine, exit SL then relaunch and voila' 3 copies again with locations designated as "net" "users" and "home"
MacBook Pro 3.06 GHZ 8GB ram 500GB Hitachi HD
victor_M 12:50 PM - 4 September, 2009
Quote:
Still not working for me. Deleted crates and songs.... recreated crates, reimported files and everything seems fine, exit SL then relaunch and voila' 3 copies again with locations designated as "net" "users" and "home"
MacBook Pro 3.06 GHZ 8GB ram 500GB Hitachi HD

Try keeping it on for a couple of hours. for me net, user and home went away after spotlight finished indexing and I rebooted.
J-Love 5:30 PM - 4 September, 2009
Quote:

Try keeping it on for a couple of hours. for me net, user and home went away after spotlight finished indexing and I rebooted.

Hmmmm... Things are looking up today. Good Call
J-Love 6:13 PM - 4 September, 2009
Ok... Spoke too soon. After restoring from a backup (pre snow leopard) "home" and "net" are back......
Steffen Hoppe 1:25 PM - 6 September, 2009
Hi,
I also updated (maybe too early) to snow leopard and expierienced the problems in 1.9.1.

I do only have one harddrive and one partition with everything on it.

I experienced the three ghost files...and when i deleted them i got the broken library...

i also do read the itunes library...

Of course I did the file backup before the update...
when i use the SCRACHLIVE-folder i had under 10.5.8 with 1.8.3 everything works fine....(did a gig of 6 hours with it last night)

today i tested around again a little but nothing really helped:
i deleted the hole scratch live- folder....so everyhing was set so zero...
than i tried to bring back the crates using the crates and subcrates folders from my backup...
but again the problem with the three files...i opened a crate file with textedit and the filepaths in there only contain users/USERNAME/music/itunes/ARTIST/TITLE so there is no \home or \net in there even after this (crash) or deleting files....

hope to help to solve this problem as fast as possible...i would also test everything possible to help....
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:11 PM - 8 September, 2009
Another couple of guys with the same triplicate problem.

scratchlive.net
victor_M 3:31 PM - 8 September, 2009
Yea

Definitely looks like when you upgrade that's were the issue lies. If you do a fresh install there are no issues. I performed my issue this way.

*Copied drive using super duper
*blew away drive
*installed snow leapord
*used the migration wizard.
No triplicates.
Steffen Hoppe 3:33 PM - 8 September, 2009
yepp

same here, I did use Time Machine vor backup, did a clean install of Snow Leopard...use the migration wizard....everything works fine now...
victor_M 3:55 PM - 8 September, 2009
Hey
Chad.

Can your team verify this. If confirmed, can we put it as a sticky?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:39 PM - 8 September, 2009
We do currently have a "known issue" in our FAQ about it
scratchlive.net

From what Iv'e heard, frsh installs aren't having the same problem but I don't want to jump the gun on that. Thank you for posting up your research and results.
victor_M 4:53 PM - 8 September, 2009
Solid!!

although not related...I've also experienced a Crash in Snow Lepoard. Would someone be able to look at the crash log?
scratchlive.net
onesixone 7:17 PM - 8 September, 2009
Workaround.
OK. We know that the duplicate Entries only occur if there is only one Drive. I decided to create an empty image with the Harddisk Services Program from Mac OS X.
I made it 50 gig big and copied my Songs in it. Fortunately i have organised the folders like my crates so i only have to move the files into the crates. It Works.
No duplicate Entries after the Restart of Serato.
I guess its also possible to move the Database into that image.
Keep in Mind that the image has to be activated if you want to acess the songs in it.
djjoefresh 7:19 PM - 8 September, 2009
Here's a possible solution to the whole triplicate problem (it was mentioned above but I don't think everyone noticed it):

98% of my music is on an external drive, no problems there. The other 2% on my internal drive did show triple copies of the same songs in Scratch Live after upgrading to Snow Leopard from Leopard.

Solution: I forced Mac OS X to reindex everything in Spotlight using a program called Spotless (info and free download at www.fixamacsoftware.com). I deleted the Spotlight index on both my internal and external drive. This will cause Snow Leopard to reindex both drives (takes a while depending on how many files you have).

Once it was done, I reopened Scratch Live, and the songs that were showing up three times now only show up once.

I hope this works for everyone, and helps with the Snow Leopard issue.
poindxta 8:01 PM - 8 September, 2009
so this makes me a little nervous. i just got my mac book pro yesterday, had an HP windows XP laptop before running SSL and Itch.

since i got the MBP just last night the only thing i have done is load the Snow Leopard update. i don't believe that i backed up unless it was automatic before the 10.6 install. how screwed am i? since i didn't have SSL or Itch on the MBP yet, will it mess me up when i do add the programs? should i be concerned since all of my music is on external drives? should i just move everything over or delete the scratchlive backup files? i would hate to have to redo my crates but thats better than dealing with the triplicate issue.
onesixone 8:28 PM - 8 September, 2009
It only happens with Music, located on internal drives.

Quote:
so this makes me a little nervous. i just got my mac book pro yesterday, had an HP windows XP laptop before running SSL and Itch.

since i got the MBP just last night the only thing i have done is load the Snow Leopard update. i don't believe that i backed up unless it was automatic before the 10.6 install. how screwed am i? since i didn't have SSL or Itch on the MBP yet, will it mess me up when i do add the programs? should i be concerned since all of my music is on external drives? should i just move everything over or delete the scratchlive backup files? i would hate to have to redo my crates but thats better than dealing with the triplicate issue.
Serato, Moderator
Andy W 6:10 AM - 9 September, 2009
Quote:
Here's a possible solution to the whole triplicate problem (it was mentioned above but I don't think everyone noticed it):

98% of my music is on an external drive, no problems there. The other 2% on my internal drive did show triple copies of the same songs in Scratch Live after upgrading to Snow Leopard from Leopard.

Solution: I forced Mac OS X to reindex everything in Spotlight using a program called Spotless (info and free download at www.fixamacsoftware.com). I deleted the Spotlight index on both my internal and external drive. This will cause Snow Leopard to reindex both drives (takes a while depending on how many files you have).

Once it was done, I reopened Scratch Live, and the songs that were showing up three times now only show up once.

Thankyou djjoefresh, this looks like a nice safe workaround so we're interested in how this goes for anyone else who wants to try it...

We're still working to uncover the exact point of failure here, if anyone is still having this problem and wants to help us solve it quicker, please try this:

- Compress your "Music/ScratchLIVE" folder (if you have recordings or music files in there make a copy first and clean the music files out before compressing the copy) and attach the zip file to this thread for us to take a look at.
onesixone 3:10 PM - 9 September, 2009
Mmmh. Didn't work for me. But i didn't had crates at the time spotlight did the index, maybe that's the trick?
Anyone else tried it?

Quote:

Conradaroma 8:17 PM - 9 September, 2009
I tried deleting my spotlight indices as well, and it still keeps on happening. I've even tried with a clean install of ScratchLIVE, and it sees the /home and /net volumes in the file browser without any other trace of Scratch LIVE installed on the system.

I wonder where those volume mount points are being stored such that Serato continues to think they are there... must be some kind of filesystem cache....
sodamnloud 9:21 PM - 9 September, 2009
This issue is most likely not Snow Leopard related. Been having it since 1.9.0 on my iMac, when it first appeared i was running Leopard, it was a few months back. My Macbook does not, however, have this problem. Not after upgrading to Snow Leopard either.
SUBSTANCE 9:22 PM - 9 September, 2009
The issue we're talking about is definitely to do with the Snow Leopard upgrade.
Also having the triplicate issue. If I delete them they seem to re-appear each time I open SSL.
I'm able to retrieve my crates by dragging from my backup 'crates' folder to the 'subcrates' on the main scratchlive folder but I gotta do that before I open SSL every time now.
Running snow leopard on a unibody macbook with SL1... all songs on internal itunes folder.
sodamnloud 9:25 PM - 9 September, 2009
I'm sure the upgrade process triggered it, but it's not isolated to Snow Leopard. That was my point.

But i've got some weirder details of this issue.

Back when the problem first surfaced there wasnt any mention of it in the forum, so i just copied the library from my Macbook into my iMac to fix the problem. The library i use right now on my Macbook was copied from my iMac, before it got corrupted again. This leads me to believe that it's got something to do with specific machines, and not library files. Otherwise i would see the corruption on my Macbook, but i don't.
sodamnloud 9:27 PM - 9 September, 2009
Oh and btw, the fix outlined in the beginning of this post erased my library. Good thing i still got one working just fine on my other Mac..
Dj Dast 9:33 PM - 9 September, 2009
Got the same problems as everybody here after upgrading. The only way for me to fix the problem was to re-install 10.5.8 and use the TM Backup.
onesixone 2:42 PM - 10 September, 2009
I just wanted to inform that my workaround i stated some posts ago is still working without duplicates. Another thing came into my mind. It is possible to make an image for every crate, so if you do not need some crates they could be deactivated in the finder.
J-Love 4:55 AM - 11 September, 2009
Problem seems to be resolved with the Snow Leopard update
Conradaroma 5:21 AM - 11 September, 2009
I'm not so sure. I reinstalled Serato and I noticed that the /home and /net Volumes were still located in the top level (i.e. furthest to the left) of the file browser. Shouldn't those go away when the problem is gone?

Actually, can anyone confirm that those should or shouldn't be there in a properly installed copy of Scratch Live? I've been using those as a determination of whether this problem is fixed or not....
max_imus 10:56 AM - 11 September, 2009
Is there or will there be any reason to upgrade to Snow Leopard if I use my MacBook for SSL and SLL only?
victor_M 11:49 AM - 11 September, 2009
Quote:
Is there or will there be any reason to upgrade to Snow Leopard if I use my MacBook for SSL and SLL only?

I would say yes, but don't rush into it especially if that PC is your bread and butter.
sheriffp 3:05 PM - 11 September, 2009
Why does 1.8.3 work fine with snow leopard?

is it the back up library function that is causing the problems, i have unchecked that box and so far everything is cool in 1.8.3 (afraid to go to 1.9 again just incase)
Colectiv 3:21 PM - 11 September, 2009
Updating to 10.6.1 has fixed my problem of getting triples. The most songs in my crates were "lost" after re-opening SLL, but just rescanned ID3 tags on them and they're golden.
Cid K 3:30 PM - 11 September, 2009
Interesting this issue, ive been running Itch/SSL latest version with Snow Leo from day one and never had that sort of issue before.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:21 PM - 11 September, 2009
Quote:

if what you have is working, NO.

Why fix something that isn't broken?

I'm still running 10.4.11
victor_M 4:42 PM - 11 September, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

if what you have is working, NO.

Why fix something that isn't broken?

I'm still running 10.4.11

nice Chad

I see you rocking this and getting all the honey's at the Drum and base spots

cache.gizmodo.com
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:47 PM - 11 September, 2009
hahaha, nice one.

Still using these though
4.bp.blogspot.com
Cid K 5:51 PM - 11 September, 2009
ROLF hahahahhhaha thats best phone ever. :-P
J-Love 6:22 PM - 11 September, 2009
Interesting... worked for the last 24 hours after Snow Leopard update. I was able to close and relaunch Scratch Live, reboot and now problems. Now, as in right now I closed SL, relaunched, and all 3 copies are back. This immediately after adding a new crate and analyzing files. This blows
J-Love 6:25 PM - 11 September, 2009
FYI... the home and net "directories" are part of OS X and have been there since several prior builds (pre Snow) they are hidden files and for some reason the apple engineer I spoke to hasn't been able to figure out why SL now indexes them with the upgrade of Snow Leopard. Very Frustrating!
victor_M 6:49 PM - 11 September, 2009
Quote:
hahaha, nice one.

Still using these though
4.bp.blogspot.com

can u hear me now...no...wait pull tighter.

Quote:
FYI... the home and net "directories" are part of OS X and have been there since several prior builds (pre Snow) they are hidden files and for some reason the apple engineer I spoke to hasn't been able to figure out why SL now indexes them with the upgrade of Snow Leopard. Very Frustrating!

what happens if you tell spotlight not to index your music or the scratchlive folder?
djjoefresh 2:08 AM - 12 September, 2009
Try updating to 10.6.1 that just came out.

If that doesn't work, try forcing OS X to reindex your computer's hard drive, using a free program like Spotless or Maintenance.

If that doesn't work, I dunno what to tell ya. This is a very weird problem that's only happening to some people.

Btw Chad, you're still running 10.4.11?! You're missing out on a lotta cool stuff man! lol but like you said, if it works, why change it?
max_imus 9:40 AM - 12 September, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

I would say yes, but don't rush into it especially if that PC is your bread and butter.

no, obviously i will or would wait until the two work fine together. but my question really was what the reasons would be, speed perhaps?
matiki 11:28 AM - 13 September, 2009
This is how it works on my mac (hopefully this helps, sorry if it's been covered already):

1. Reboot your computer (airport off, no ethernet) = everything's perfect
2. Shut down serato
3. Turn on airport or connect it to ethernet
4. wait a moment
5. Start serato = /net & /home copies appear
6. Disconnect ethernet / turn off airport & reboot = things perfect again
SeriousCyrus 3:27 PM - 13 September, 2009
OK, just got the tripling of tracks in the crates too, SSL was also very slow to start up. Just upgraded this morning.

I can't see the /home or /net directories from the finder, but can see them through the terminal, they are both empty.

Someone posted earlier that they thought the home and net directories were used during the upgrade, and should have been got rid of or de-aliased, or something, so I wondered if Time Machine was a problem, keeping them for backup or something, as it has been running since the upgrade and was nowhere near complete. I stopped the time machine backup, rebooted, all triplicates gones.
SeriousCyrus 3:35 PM - 13 September, 2009
Just thought, don't do the deleting of the broken links, if that's not been mentioned already, I lost all my crates doing that. If it is time machine that's the problem, you can just restore the scratchlive folder from before the update. Did that, and now all is good.
matiki 7:35 PM - 13 September, 2009
Connecting an external drive after system startup seems to cause triples too... ugh. :-/
sodamnloud 9:53 PM - 13 September, 2009
Upgrading to 10.6.1 fixed the issue for me. Finally! Thanks for all the hints, guys! :)
victor_M 10:58 PM - 13 September, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

no, obviously i will or would wait until the two work fine together. but my question really was what the reasons would be, speed perhaps?

SL is faster than leopard. and the OS ability to use the hardware better. Hopefully that answered your question
J-Love 4:34 AM - 14 September, 2009
Quote:
Upgrading to 10.6.1 fixed the issue for me. Finally! Thanks for all the hints, guys! :)

That's what I thought too, but about 24 hours later, problem returned
DJ M4G 12:05 PM - 14 September, 2009
Problem solved with updating to Mac OS X 10.6.1
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:10 PM - 14 September, 2009
Quote:

Really curious to hear how this works and if there are any other side effects that are waiting to pop up. Software updates are always a bit helter skelter.
J-Love 12:13 AM - 15 September, 2009
Quote:

Started SL this morning and all my crates had disappeared. Went to "files" to recreate and home and net were gone again, created my crates again, tested, closed SL, restarted computer, all was fine... couple hours later, relaunched SL and my good friends home and net were back along with the triplicates of each file
SUBSTANCE 3:12 AM - 15 September, 2009
10.6.1 didn't solve anything for me.
Crates are disappearing in a random fashion, even the ones I drag from backup. I've started building my playlists in itunes. I'll go back to crates when they work reliably again.
I built a 90's crate for my set on Saturday. Booted up SSL at my gig. Gone.
djPhox 3:39 AM - 15 September, 2009
I reverted back to 1.8.3. Its the latest version that works with Snow Leopard. no triplets.
I advise everyone rename each Scratch Live by version in your "Application" folder...ScratchLive 1.8.3, ScratchLive 1.9.1.... and also keep a copy of all the the .dmg Scratch Live install files everytime there is a new version releases. That way its easy to revert back.
DJ Unique 5:34 AM - 15 September, 2009
Quote:
I reverted back to 1.8.3. Its the latest version that works with Snow Leopard. no triplets.
I advise everyone rename each Scratch Live by version in your "Application" folder...ScratchLive 1.8.3, ScratchLive 1.9.1.... and also keep a copy of all the the .dmg Scratch Live install files everytime there is a new version releases. That way its easy to revert back.

Yep that's what I do.
My external HD also has a folder with all the SSL versions going back to 1.4
You just never know when you might need to install an older version.
J-Love 1:16 PM - 15 September, 2009
Quote:

Any way to get a link to 1.8.3 just to use in the interim? I had kept all my DMG's but recently deleted them when I upgraded to the newest MB Pro
victor_M 2:04 PM - 15 September, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Any way to get a link to 1.8.3 just to use in the interim? I had kept all my DMG's but recently deleted them when I upgraded to the newest MB Pro

www.serato.com
SethSC 2:53 PM - 15 September, 2009
Thanks for the link, updating to 10.6.1 did not solve the triplicate problem for me either. Good suggestion for reverting back to 1.8.3.
sheriffp 4:56 PM - 15 September, 2009
i reverted back to 1.8.3, 2 weeks ago after a mountain of problems with 1.9. and its been workin fine for me at numerous gigs..
SeriousCyrus 5:45 PM - 15 September, 2009
Are any of you with the problems running time machine? I'm curious as to whether that was the problem, everything is still fine for me.
DJ Gatek 5:52 PM - 15 September, 2009
No I don't use Time Machine and still have that triplicate problem.
J-Love 3:21 AM - 16 September, 2009
Quote:
Are any of you with the problems running time machine? I'm curious as to whether that was the problem, everything is still fine for me.

No TM here either..... back to 1.8.3 (Thanks Victor and Phox)
Problem solved for now...
DJ AB 4:20 AM - 16 September, 2009
I also messed up my scratchlive when I did this upgrade due to apples new mount points /home and /net .... The fix is to open Terminal and disable these network mount points. Do not try to delete the red missing files in scratchlive!!!! Instead Do this:
Run Terminal from Applications Utilities
then do the following unix commands to become super user
sudo vi /etc/auto_master
and comment out these two lines then save and exit ... if you can edit this file using notepad or any other go ahead ... the path is /etc/auto_master
#/net -hosts -nobrowse,hidefromfinder,nosuid
#/home auto_home -nobrowse,hidefromfinder
after this change reboot and start scratchlive to confirm ... your problem should be solved!!!
matiki 6:41 AM - 16 September, 2009
any chance for a quick patch to ignore these?
DJ M4G 11:06 AM - 16 September, 2009
News from me:
I've installed the update to 10.6.1
the first time I've started SSL, everything seems to be fine.
But now on the second run all songs are displayed 3 times again .... WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?
SethSC 2:14 PM - 16 September, 2009
The reversion sounds good unless you have an SL3 (only supported for 1.9 and higher)DJ AB sounds like he has a good understanding of the problem, anyone else tried this fix? I don't have much experience with unix commands, anyone try this yet?
Cid K 4:48 PM - 16 September, 2009
It's wierd, i have udpdate to OSX Snow Leopard from day one, complet fresh new instal from scratch. Installed SSL and Itch, synced my crates and subcrates with Sctachtools and since then, never had any of those issues mentioned above. No triplets at all.

Am running latest version of everything (SSL 1.9.1 & Itch 1.1) on my Macbook Pro.

Kinda odd issue honestly,
victor_M 6:01 PM - 16 September, 2009
I don't think it's the fresh installs that are the issues. its the upgrades that usually have the issue.
Cid K 8:16 PM - 16 September, 2009
right, well id never do an upgrade.... i always start up fresh specially when it comes down to OS and stuff.
victor_M 9:44 PM - 16 September, 2009
Agree with you 110%
DJ Gatek 9:45 AM - 17 September, 2009
This is definitely an upgrade issue. And something left from 10.5 causes the problem. Look, I installed SL on another clean partition on my hard drive. Then I copied my ScratchLIVE folder from 10.5 to 10.6, opened SSL and all the triplicates were there! So the system was clean, but the ScratchLIVE folder was from previous system.
Cid K 12:22 PM - 17 September, 2009
Yeah, ive worked in IT all my life, and by experience, i would never recommand to do a software upgrade on top of an already installed app. Same goes for a OS Upgrade.

I would always do a FRESH Instal, this way your are sure and certain that its clean and fresh and none of the old bugs come along on the new instal.

Yes, ive seened it worked a few times, but still i dont know any IT guy that would recommand an "Upgrade" insted of a clean instal.
frY_xt 3:24 PM - 17 September, 2009
Quote:
I also messed up my scratchlive when I did this upgrade due to apples new mount points /home and /net .... The fix is to open Terminal and disable these network mount points. Do not try to delete the red missing files in scratchlive!!!! Instead Do this:
sudo vi /etc/auto_master
and comment out these two lines then save and exit ... if you can edit this file using notepad or any other go ahead ... the path is /etc/auto_master
after this change reboot and start scratchlive to confirm ... your problem should be solved!!!

working fine!
tried it yesterday, no problems any more...

phatalbert 12:27 AM - 18 September, 2009
Hey everyone.

I noticed the problem the first time I opened up Serato Scratch Live after install 10.6.1 (I didn't run it when I had 10.6.1.)

I used the above solution of editing the /etc/auto_master and rebooting. It seems to have solved the problem, but I haven't done extensive testing yet.
SethSC 7:24 PM - 18 September, 2009
Can you describe that fix using terminal in a little more detail?
onesixone 7:55 PM - 19 September, 2009
Quote:

sudo vi /etc/auto_master

Press Shift+I to go to insert mode and insert the # before the line as shown:
(navigate the cursor with the arrows keys)

Press ESC to exit the VI Editor. Enter :wq to save the Changes

Works for me.
jonnyb 11:06 PM - 19 September, 2009
i've been experiencing this issue as well. the net and home mount points were showing up in the files tab but when i restarted they disappeared. this would seem to suggest that they are mounted by some kind of finder operations which serato can't deal with
jepe 9:57 AM - 22 September, 2009
the one its available in the mac store for 30$ its the update and not the fresh install correct?
thanks
victor_M 11:46 AM - 22 September, 2009
It's actually a full install.. they just market it as an update. Note to avoid breaking there terms and conditions you have own and operate leopard on your machine.
jepe 11:48 AM - 22 September, 2009
ok. thanks:)
jepe 6:55 PM - 22 September, 2009
hi guys. bought the cd,
just instaled, just did the combo update and everything appears to be ok.
just tested 5 min. i was just worried about the crates.
are ok.
best
DJ M4G 11:04 AM - 23 September, 2009
A Question to Rane Serato:
Why couldn't you just make a little if class when adding the files to the listboxes (SSL library) and if the path begins with "Net" or "Home" then the file wouldn't be added to the displayed list. I think thats a easy bugfix.
You could also implement 1 checkbox to the setup menu where we can enable or disable this feature.
dj-mase 3:07 PM - 24 September, 2009
sudo vi /etc/auto_master

it really works!! :D
Greys 7:55 PM - 24 September, 2009
Same problem here. First I was on Tiger 10.4 and Serato 1.7.2. and everything worked fine. Then I upgrade on Snow Leopard 1.6.1. and Serato 1.9.1. In crates songs are displayed 3times, and also I got some, I don't know drop outs, don't know the word. When playing song, it's just happen that one beat is repeating 2 3 times, then play normal. What's happen'?

Anyone?
matiki 6:10 PM - 25 September, 2009
I think /net & /home mount points are supposed to be there and commenting them out entirely might not be a wise move if you're not sure that it wont cause a dependency issue with some other stuff...

just sayin'
argalias 2:51 PM - 26 September, 2009
i thought Matiki maybe right. So i did the reverse of the commands described above and the things were as it was. i opened SL and there was no triple file. Restarted the machine reopen SL and the things were still ok. i did the procedure sevral and SL seems to work as before snow leopard uprgade. I dont know if this a permanent solution but information will help.
SAM.12 4:30 AM - 28 September, 2009
Quote:
i thought Matiki maybe right. So i did the reverse of the commands described above and the things were as it was. i opened SL and there was no triple file.

by doing the reverse do you mean you went back into the editor and removed the #'s ?
is everything still running smoothly?
argalias 1:01 PM - 28 September, 2009
exactly sam.12 and everything was ok
jepe 1:46 AM - 29 September, 2009
well.. the problem is here too..
but just with the files in my computers hard drive..
not the files in my external hard drive...
anyone with the same issue? can be possible this?
only a few guys upgraded to snow leopard?
DeezNotes 2:26 AM - 29 September, 2009
My problem just popped up today. I've been running 10.6.1 for a few weeks now.

All my music is on my internal drive. One partition. I do not have a _ScratchLIVE_ folder at the root of /Macintosh HD. I did have an additional /net/.. and /home/.. entries for each song. Deleting those (Command+Delete) from the library forced a rescan ID3 tags on SSL restart which screwed my date added -- don't do that.

The "Terminal Fix" worked for me. Only difference I did was use nano instead of vi (the commands are easier in nano). So, perform the steps listed above, but replace "vi" with "nano" and forget about the special keys to edit and save.
jepe 10:08 AM - 29 September, 2009
thanks DeezNotes.
what do you mean with spcial keys?

its this correct?

sudo nano /etc/auto_master

thanks and sorrry for missunterstood.
ps: could this not be problematic for other applications?
i really don t know what this commands mean..
:)
jepe 11:03 AM - 29 September, 2009
done with a friends help...
sorry guys...
didn t work.. triple files appear again.
SethSC 3:41 PM - 29 September, 2009
I would give it another shot all i needed to add was the '#', i'm not sure about the implications of this change but after a month of triplicates, this sh*t worked like a charm.
Can you further explain the 'reverse' commands, would that be just going back in and deleting the '#' that was manually added?
jepe 3:44 PM - 29 September, 2009
maybe i did something wrong.
in my external drive all is working well,
in my internal hd files still have.
will try to do the commands again in 1h and let you guys know.
thanks
Cid K 4:46 PM - 29 September, 2009
I say, people, DO FRESH instal and not upgrade. I have installed 3 Mac with Snow Leopard without any issues what so ever..
jepe 4:50 PM - 29 September, 2009
with the tracks on hd or external Hd? with my tracks on external hd i don t have any issue
Cid K 4:51 PM - 29 September, 2009
Good... Am pretty sure everone that has issues with their librairy is cause they have done a stupid upgrade insted of a REAL fresh instal.
jepe 4:53 PM - 29 September, 2009
but fresh install do you mean format the machine and install every applications again?
DeezNotes 4:56 PM - 29 September, 2009
Quote:
thanks DeezNotes.
what do you mean with spcial keys?

I was talking about using Shift+I to get to insert mode, then the colon w q to quit... with nano, you use the normal keys (delete to delete... nothing extra to insert... when you quit, just press Control+X)

Quote:
its this correct?

sudo nano /etc/auto_master

Yes, the above command is correct.

Quote:

No need for Shift+I in nano. Just use the arrow keys to go to the line you want to edit and put the "#" in front of those lines as you have shown in your quote below:
Quote:

Quote:

In nano, the exit key is Control+X. Press enter to save the file you just modified. Then reboot.
Quote:

thanks and sorrry for missunterstood.
ps: could this not be problematic for other applications?
i really don t know what this commands mean..
:)

I have no idea what that can do to the other applications. I do know that the /home and /net folders are now in the root of /Macintosh HD
Cid K 5:11 PM - 29 September, 2009
Quote:
but fresh install do you mean format the machine and install every applications again?

YES you are correct, from my IT experience and building pc's and mac since i was a kid, UPGRADES are shit, 90% of the time it fucks somewhere and your back to point A where you need to format and instal fresh, so why not do it from the start.

It's always better to FRESH instal.
DeezNotes 5:13 PM - 29 September, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

YES you are correct, from my IT experience and building pc's and mac since i was a kid, UPGRADES are shit, 90% of the time it fucks somewhere and your back to point A where you need to format and instal fresh, so why not do it from the start.

It's always better to FRESH instal.

A fresh install is great if you have the time and the resources (backup hard disk for all your data). On a side-note, Time Machine does a good job backing up your system and when you go to do a fresh install of OS X, it will ask if you have a Time Machine backup to restore your system settings and applications. If you do this, it could minimize the time needed to reinstall all applications if you choose to go that route.
jepe 5:21 PM - 29 September, 2009
ok guys. thanks.
i ve did the commands and it works so far.
i got a help from a IT friend.
here s a short explain about this commands.

lowendmac.com

best
SteveDUH 2:15 PM - 30 September, 2009
Just bought a New MacBook Pro the other week and had no problems for the first few days, then I think when i upgraded to 10.6.1, problems arose.

I did the terminal commands and it works like a charm. Thanks very much for the help!
Cid K 2:23 PM - 30 September, 2009
I honestly have no idea why all this is happening, i know this much, for me, i never had any of those issues, from day one.

Am on 10.6.1 and it still runs like on Leopard. No issues, no fuck up.
Serato, Moderator
Andy W 1:34 AM - 1 October, 2009
From this post further up: www.serato.com
Quote:

By "SL" do you mean Scratch Live or Snow Leopard? The thing that has changed in Snow Leopard is that these two directories are suddenly being mounted as drives, apparently related to Spotlight indexing or some other OS function that triggers from time to time. If they were mounted like this previously then the difference in Snow Leopard is that they're no longer completely hidden from view, at least not to us.

Even though the folders/mounts are supposedly hidden on the boot drive (If you have multiple Leopard or Snow Leopard installs on your disk you can see them in the partition you're not booted to), they are still visible to us using our current method of scanning for drives. There is most likely something we can do in our software to work around this change in behavior even if it's not permanent, we're hoping to do so for 1.9.2...

If the workaround of editing /etc/auto_master is working that's great for now, I don't really know much about how "unhiding" the folder somehow manages to unmount those drives, or otherwise stop our app from seeing them, so I can't comment on what negative side effects it might have. It's obviously fairly easy to undo, as long as no damage is done in the meantime. Use this workaround at your own risk.

If you're not sure, heed the warning given when using "sudo" about possible havoc with your computer, and hold off until we get the fix in, 1.9.2 isn't too far away... :)
SethSC 2:40 PM - 1 October, 2009
Unfortunately i have to be the first to report that i believe the terminal edit messed with my scratch live. Instead of the normal wave form in the right deck, its now this weird display of 3 parallel waves that are the same for every song. Its not the end of the world since I don't really NEED the waveforms to mix, but it looks retarded and i think its indicative of something going wrong.

Anyone else have this problem?

To reverse the the /etc/auto_master just delete the '#'s ?
DeezNotes 2:53 PM - 1 October, 2009
Quote:
Unfortunately i have to be the first to report that i believe the terminal edit messed with my scratch live. Instead of the normal wave form in the right deck, its now this weird display of 3 parallel waves that are the same for every song. Its not the end of the world since I don't really NEED the waveforms to mix, but it looks retarded and i think its indicative of something going wrong.

Anyone else have this problem?

To reverse the the /etc/auto_master just delete the '#'s ?

Click the wave in Scratch LIVE to change the view back. The terminal edit did not affect the wave view.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:49 PM - 1 October, 2009
hold down ctrl + click on the wave form to change it back.
DeezNotes 4:28 PM - 1 October, 2009
Oh it's CTRL click? my bad.
SethSC 7:20 PM - 1 October, 2009
No worries, thanks. Glad I was wrong about the terminal edit messing things up.
K2DaZee 7:25 PM - 1 October, 2009
i didn't read all the posts. i have the same problem with 3 copies and so on. but i wonder why it works with 1.8.3 or other older versions of ssl, but not with the 1.9.1. whatever... i'll use 1.8.3 till there is a newer version without any problems...
Serato, Moderator
Andy W 10:50 PM - 1 October, 2009
Hi K2DaZee, do you have both versions installed on your machine still?

The problem comes and goes depending on whatever it is that the OS does that maps the /net and /home folders as "drives" from time to time. It would be really good to have a definitive answer from someone who can actually see the problem about whether it's a version dependent issue... If you're able to can you run 1.8.3, confirm the problem is absent, run 1.9.1, confirm the problem exists, then immediately run 1.8.3 and confirm it's gone again?

Thanks.
K2DaZee 11:09 PM - 1 October, 2009
sorry, my english isn't very well... 1.8.3 runs without any problems. 1.9.1 makes problems. if i close it and open 1.8.3 again, it runs.
J-Love 6:58 AM - 2 October, 2009
Quote:
Hi K2DaZee, do you have both versions installed on your machine still?

The problem comes and goes depending on whatever it is that the OS does that maps the /net and /home folders as "drives" from time to time. It would be really good to have a definitive answer from someone who can actually see the problem about whether it's a version dependent issue... If you're able to can you run 1.8.3, confirm the problem is absent, run 1.9.1, confirm the problem exists, then immediately run 1.8.3 and confirm it's gone again?

Thanks.

I have both versions installed. 1.9.1 does not work (it works, but wit the triplicates) 1.8.3 works, but with strange behavior. When I launch 1.8.3, on occasion, no crates show up. I immediately close the app (which takes an extended amount of time) relaunch and all is fine, wit the exception of having to use 1.8.3 ;)
J-Love 7:05 AM - 2 October, 2009
Just did a quick test and when I launched 1.8.3 this time, crates loaded, but all were empty. Quit Scratch Live (57 seconds) relaunched, and files were back

MacBook Pro 3.06 GHZ 8GB ram 500GB Hitachi HD - 10.6.1
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:13 PM - 2 October, 2009
Are you giving them enough time to load before shutting down and then back up again?
J-Love 5:29 PM - 2 October, 2009
Quote:
Are you giving them enough time to load before shutting down and then back up again?

Absolutely... it reads everything in the crates, just doesnt load them. 1 min, 2 mins, 5 mins, 10 mins, 30 mins... Doesn't matter. Usually only happens during the initial launch of 1.8.3
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:53 PM - 2 October, 2009
hmmm.....
sheriffp 12:50 AM - 3 October, 2009
this has happened to me with 1.8.3., i just had a copy of my scratchlive folder saved on the desktop so deleted the one from the music folder and replaced it with the copy and it was perfect again on relaunch.. hasnt happened again in about 3 weeks.

i'm still quite nervous though everytime i use it at work as it defo isn't as stable as it used to be pre snow leopard.

i also think unchecking the back up library function makes it work better without these crashes etc.. mine has been unchecked for 3 weeks and no problems.. may just be coincidence.
J-Love 8:14 PM - 5 October, 2009
Just installed 1.9.2 beta 3... Same problem with triplicate files, but also now getting unexpected quit error as well
J-Love 8:47 PM - 5 October, 2009
Ok.. getting way too frustrated with this, so I went ahead and took my chances using the terminal edit.. So far so good. I have a back up, so no harm no foul
Cid K 8:54 PM - 5 October, 2009
Where the hell did u get that 1.9.2 beta bro ??
Ajay 1:01 AM - 7 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

sudo vi /etc/auto_master

Works for me.

So I was running Snow Leopard for about a week with Scratchlive with no problems. Upgrade from Leopard, 1.9.1, all tracks on internal drive. Started it up today and all of a sudden triples!

Luckily ran the terminal fix and Scratchlive seems to be running just fine.

Thanks
Cid K 12:28 PM - 7 October, 2009
As said before, upgrades from one os to another always fucks things up and this not only for Serato... Any IT Guru would say the same thing.

Me personaly i would never do an upgrade... Ive known in the pass to be full of surprises and in the end, had to completly format and start fresh.

Yes if it was a perfect world, those upgrade fonctions would work perfectly (AS they Should) But we are living in a digital life with way too much variables that can make this process fail.
Smartus 1:18 PM - 7 October, 2009
So, I finally got that same problem two days ago (had updated to Snow Leopard right after Serato announced it's supported, then updated to 10.6.1 right after its release).

This might need some more testing to verify that it's not just a coincidence and at the moment I don't have the time to intentionally mess with my library, but: it seems for me it was a network connection to a windows machine that triggered the triple file problem:
I got an old windows machine that I hardly use a anymore and if I do, It's mainly as a file server - so there are a few network-shared folders on there.
I think it was the first time after updating to snow leopard that I had connected my macbook to that windows machine to dump some files on there (noting Scratch-Live-related) and while still connected ran Scratch Live - and now there were the triple files (which I had not seen before).
Right now I have replaced the SratchLive folder with an older version to fix it and the Windows machine is off - no triple files after several restarts of Scratch Live.

Got gigs to play this weekend, but after that, I might run some more tests to verify if there is some correlation between that network connection and the triple files.
J-Love 8:04 PM - 7 October, 2009
Quote:
So, I finally got that same problem two days ago (had updated to Snow Leopard right after Serato announced it's supported, then updated to 10.6.1 right after its release).

This might need some more testing to verify that it's not just a coincidence and at the moment I don't have the time to intentionally mess with my library, but: it seems for me it was a network connection to a windows machine that triggered the triple file problem:
I got an old windows machine that I hardly use a anymore and if I do, It's mainly as a file server - so there are a few network-shared folders on there.
I think it was the first time after updating to snow leopard that I had connected my macbook to that windows machine to dump some files on there (noting Scratch-Live-related) and while still connected ran Scratch Live - and now there were the triple files (which I had not seen before).
Right now I have replaced the SratchLive folder with an older version to fix it and the Windows machine is off - no triple files after several restarts of Scratch Live.

Got gigs to play this weekend, but after that, I might run some more tests to verify if there is some correlation between that network connection and the triple files.

I believe purely coincidence....
And more than likely, they will return. The only solutions that have worked solidly is running 1.8.3 or using the terminal edit, or a fresh install of Snow Leopard then restoring if you have a time machine back up
LOQUITO 3:11 AM - 9 October, 2009
I went to the apple store to have them remove SNOW LEOPARD but they told me they would have to wipe my HD and to make things worse my back up external drive was originally formatted for PC and I would have to wipe it off too....

... It is the wrong time to be Mr. Popular and have all these promoters calling me. I did notice that itunes works just fine when using it with serato but i hear bad feedback even though I know a very popular Dj who happens to use itunes with serato...

... as i type this i am taking a break while im caching up to the red sox game.. and then back to arranging my itunes since it is the only thing that works for me now.

Serato fix this "pronto" please.....
K2DaZee 9:05 AM - 9 October, 2009
yes, i thing serato should find a solution quickly. 1.9.2 or something... last weekend, after i installed snow leopard and serato new, it worked the whole weekend. but on monday i would update serato with new music, and i opened it and from every file there were 3 copies again. so i deleted 1.9.1 and use 1.8.3 now, cause there are no problems. i'm waiting for a new serato version...
Konix 2:20 PM - 9 October, 2009
This issue is fixed with the latest 1.9.2 RC1...

Quote:

Library Triplets

- Fixed bug on Mac OS 10.6 where triplets of tracks could appear in the Scratch Live library.
Cid K 2:23 PM - 9 October, 2009
Noice :-)
K2DaZee 2:59 PM - 9 October, 2009
damn fine! when is it available?
Konix 3:32 PM - 9 October, 2009
1.9.2 RC1 is out now... scratchlive.net , but remember it is a beta version.
Cid K 3:35 PM - 9 October, 2009
Yup
Rane, Support
Chad S. 4:04 PM - 9 October, 2009
\m/
Cid K 4:19 PM - 9 October, 2009
Serato FTW :-)
dpetree 5:25 PM - 9 October, 2009
Chris, let me just start off by saying, you guys are doing a GREAT job with the snow leopard dev.

My question is this. I have the 1.9.2 installed.

I have not updated itunes, or quick time..

What versions do i need to install? Should i just run system update and update everything? What do i need to stay away from, if anything?

Thanks for your help
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:01 PM - 9 October, 2009
If your current version of itunes and quicktime are working well, I wouldn't update.

Is there a reason you must?
dpetree 6:07 PM - 9 October, 2009
i actually never ran the setup on them

I have ran the setup on Serato,and tested with Video and it works great in "testing" only on the mac. I have not hooked up to an external system yet.

I am running the setup now for itunes, and i will not update it.

I also started "quicktime player" by playing a video and it plays OK
merv 9:13 AM - 10 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

sudo vi /etc/auto_master

Works for me.

So I was running Snow Leopard for about a week with Scratchlive with no problems. Upgrade from Leopard, 1.9.1, all tracks on internal drive. Started it up today and all of a sudden triples!

Thanks

Just trying this except i'm i bit concerned if i get it wrong it will screw my laptop up?

could you explain how to save the changes in a bit more detail as i cannot seem to save using :WQ

Thanks
merv 9:22 AM - 10 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

sudo vi /etc/auto_master

Works for me.

Thanks

Just trying this except i'm i bit concerned if i get it wrong it will screw my laptop up?

could you explain how to save the changes in a bit more detail as i cannot seem to save using :WQ

this comes up - E45: 'readonly' option is set (add ! to override)
Thanks
jonnyb 2:40 PM - 10 October, 2009
hi all,

hadn't monitored this thread for a little while since the terminal fix solved this issues for me for the time being. few observations, though:

by installing growl & hardware growler it's possible to observe when the /home and /net drives are mounted. can't really see any pattern, i'm afraid, but it seems to me that the issue has nothing to do with how snow leopard is installed and everything to do with serato too aggressively looking for volumes. i suspect this is as a result of its implementation of reading ipod volumes

on a not-so-light note, however, don't serato have an apple developer license which gave them access to the betas over the past 18 months or more? if not, then its all well and good to say that users shouldn't be early adopters, but the reason that betas are distributed to developers is so that third party developers can be testing and updating their apps well in advance of the release date. if this is the case then it's a very poor show from a professional software developer

not hating, but this seems to be a fairly major issue which should have been noticed more than a year before snow leopard hit the streets
Ajay 3:54 AM - 11 October, 2009
So I take it if we had the terminal edit in place, we would want to undo that before updating to 1.9.2?
10:31 PM, 4 May 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.