Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Runtime Error

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
djselect 3:49 PM - 24 July, 2008
I have the SSL1 with a ttm56. I used my friends 57 for a gig a couple of months ago one night & ever since then, when I close Serato I get a runtime error & it doesn't save alot of the stuff I've worked on. The error: Runtime Error Program:C\program files\Serato\Scratch Live\ScratchLive.exe R6025-Pure virtual function call. Anybody know of a way to fix this, I've reinstalled the disc for Serato & reinstalled 1.8.1, but doesn't help.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:01 PM - 24 July, 2008
Are you using an external hard drive by any chance?
djselect 4:09 PM - 24 July, 2008
Yes, I am using an external hard drive.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:29 PM - 24 July, 2008
Try renaming the databaseV2 file located within the _ScratchLIVE_ folder on your external HD and see if that has any affect.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:30 PM - 24 July, 2008
Rename the databaseV2 file to databaseV2(bad) or something like that.
djselect 4:40 PM - 24 July, 2008
I renamed it, but still get the error when closing Serato.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:56 PM - 24 July, 2008
Try closing SSL with out the external connected, same results?
djselect 5:33 PM - 24 July, 2008
no runtime error with out the hard drive connected. Is there something I can do to stop this, I have to use the hard drive.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:38 PM - 24 July, 2008
Yeah, we'll get to the bottom of this.

If you open the external HD, do you see a hidden .ScratchLIVE folder?
djselect 5:49 PM - 24 July, 2008
Yes, I renamed the V2 file in that one to bad also. it seems as long as I eject the hard drive before closing Serato that there is no issue. thank you for all your help, it's much appreciated.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:03 PM - 24 July, 2008
After renaming both databaseV2 files (one in the _scratchlive_ folder and one in the .ScratchLIVE folder) do you still get the error when closing SSL with the SL1 connected?
djselect 6:13 PM - 24 July, 2008
yes, if the hard drive is connected. If I eject the hard drive before closing Serato, no error, shuts down fine.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:28 PM - 24 July, 2008
Please upload a copy of the .ScratchLIVE and _ScratchLIVE_ folder for the Serato developers to use for testing.

-->> Sending bad files to Serato support -->> www.scratchlive.net
djselect 6:30 PM - 24 July, 2008
just from the hard drive right?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:31 PM - 24 July, 2008
Yeah, from the external :)
djselect 6:39 PM - 24 July, 2008
It doesn't allow me to upload the entire thing, it keeps opening the folder & then sub folders, is there a way around this?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:44 PM - 24 July, 2008
Creating a zip file and copying both ScratchLIVE folders into it should do the trick.
djselect 6:50 PM - 24 July, 2008
Thank you again, upload is in progress. Have a good day!
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:54 PM - 24 July, 2008
Cool, thanks :)
djselect 6:55 PM - 24 July, 2008
there is no down side to ejecting external before exiting serato is there?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 7:02 PM - 24 July, 2008
Only one, SSL won't be able to save updated info (crates, tags, and etc) to that drive :(

Hopefully, the Serato guys will be able to locate the file(s) causing the issues you're having so we can resolve your problem asap.
RnBDJkb 9:16 PM - 24 July, 2008
Not trying to thread jack Shaun, but the issue I had with my external HD sounds very much like what djselect is experiancing.
Moderator RafaelIM helped me to sort things out.
djselect may find something in our thread that may be able to help him out..
link below:
www.scratchlive.net
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:12 PM - 24 July, 2008
no problem, thanks for the assist :)
Serato, Moderator
Andy W 12:38 AM - 25 July, 2008
Hi djselect, we got your upload and will try to reproduce the problem here using your files...

Quote:
there is no down side to ejecting external before exiting serato is there?

There should be no problem at all with this, if you eject it properly through the OS "Safely Remove" function. When the drive is ejected properly Scratch LIVE gets told about it and it will save changes to the library for the drive as it releases it.

In all other cases so far where we've seen this problem it has been because of a problem with one of the crate files on that drive.

If you start Scratch LIVE up without the drive plugged in, the add the external you may see a message describing a crate load error in the status bar. It flicks by pretty fast so you have to be sharp (this is something else we're working at fixing in a future release).

If you can find that crate and move it out of the Subcrates folder inside _ScratchLIVE_ on your external (or rename it to whatever.crate.broken) everything should come right. You may also need to redo the databaseV2 thing again in case the bad crate has screwed up the database file.

We'll try to find the crate for you using the files you gave us, but if you can't see the crate error message and don't want to wait, you could try this (read first, it's a bit tricky):
- Go into _ScratchLIVE_ on your external.
- Rename both the Crates and Subcrates folders by adding "-broken" to the name.
- Start Scratch LIVE (you will see no crates from your external but that's OK), and then close it again to see if the error repeats now.
- If it does, rename your database file (please let us know if you had to do this, it's important) and try starting and closing Scratch LIVE again. You will see no songs at all from your external, this is OK, they're not lost. This should work in any case.
- You can now try moving your crate files from "Subcrates-broken" back into the new empty "Subcrates" folder, one or a few at a time and start+close Scratch LIVE each time. If the problem comes back the problem crate is the last one (or one of the group) you put back in. Take it back to the Subcrates-broken folder, and continue with the rest of your crates.
- If you had to rename your database file to get it going, you will need to do this again once you move the bad crate out again.

Hang tight, we'll get this solved for you as soon as we can...
djselect 3:42 AM - 25 July, 2008
Thank you for all your help, found the crate. I had to close & restart about 10 times, you weren't kidding, the error flashes across the bottom so fast, had a difficult time seeing it.Everything is working fine now, no errors when I close Serato. You have excellent customer support, very few companies offer this kind of service. Thank you again, love this product!
RnBDJkb 6:30 PM - 25 July, 2008
I love success stories like this fam:-)
I was so pleased when I stopped getting the errors from my external I wanted to bake a cake.
If people from all walks of life worked together the way Serato fam does..
the world would be a better place.
But then again we all can't be DJs.
djselect 2:12 AM - 26 July, 2008
Yes sir...I agree, the world definately isn't set up that way. It's a shame really. I've been using Serato for about a year and a half now & I just keep having more and more fun with it, the possibilites are wide open compared to when I only used vinyl. do you have any mixes I can check out online?
Serato, Moderator
Andy W 3:49 AM - 28 July, 2008
Good to hear you have things working again! :)

Can you tell us the name of the crate that was causing the problem? That would really help us stamp this problem out so that no-one else has to suffer through this...

Cheers!
djselect 1:01 AM - 29 July, 2008
Jawnxt was the crate name, it was the subcrate under the hip hop n rap crate.