Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

error on closing program

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
OriS 11:33 AM - 4 July, 2007
hey
im using my ssl with an ibm r50e laptop - although most of my mp3 files are located on an external hd.
lately - and i dont know if its related or not to the fact that i upgraded to 1.7.2 - everytime i run the ssl program - the whole content of two crates (which their mp3s are located on the external hd) gets lost.
it happens everytime with the same 2 crates - no matter how many times i import again and again the mp3 files into them. everytime i run the program - it doesnt seem to "save" the content of those crates.
also, when i want to exit the program - i get the following message:
Runtime Error!

Program: C:\ Program Files\Serato\ScratchLive\ScratchLive.exe

R6025

-pure virtual function call

and it happens only when i operate the ssl with the external hd. if im not using the external hd - there are no problems at all...

ill be very thankful to get some help guys
thanx

ps - ive read a discussion here in the forum about a guy who had the same problem and managed to fix it by himself - but from what he wrote or the way he wrote it i didnt get it...
OriS 9:17 AM - 5 July, 2007
hey is there anyone out there?
i really need to fix this...

thanx
OriS 1:15 PM - 5 July, 2007
i hope im not celebratin too early - but i seem to resolve the problem, and this is my little tip to those having a similar problem:

before you try to remove the hidden database v2 or things like that - first try to remember which are the last couple of mp3s you've improted - try to check if they are corrupted - if they are - delete them - when i deleted a couple it did the trick.

if before u do this - u first remove the database v2 file instead - u might lose most of your file overviews - and u will have to re-do the overviews in order to see if a file is curropted or not...
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:21 PM - 5 July, 2007
I'm glad you got your issue sorted. Although, just so you and others know, deleting the databaseV2 file won't do anything detrimental to your files.
The overview information is stored in the actual song file and won't ever get deleted unless you strip the id3 tags.

Deleting and then recreating the databaseV2 file clears out other system information.
OriS 4:36 PM - 5 July, 2007
cool thanx

although now i still have one problem im trying to solve

im not getting the "error" thing when i exit anymore and thats really cool, but all the mp3s in those two crates are not saved.

i keep importing mp3s in and arranging the crates (added,bpm,length ect..) and after i exit, i run ssl and their whole content is gone....each and every time ...

any idea whats causing this?

thnxxx
OriS 4:38 PM - 5 July, 2007
ps im talking about 2 specific crates (out of about 12 crates) that are not new or anything ...
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:57 PM - 5 July, 2007
I would check to see if the files that your importing into those crates are 'read and write' files.
If they are 'read only' you won't be able to save them in your crates.

To open up a file from within SSL highlight the file and hold down ctrl+R (PC) or apple+R (Mac).
This will open up a separate browser and the song should be highlighted.
From there either right click and go to 'properties' (PC) or hold down apple+I (Mac) to 'get info'.
Once in there you can check to see if the files is 'read and write'.

If it is read only than you will want to change the properties of the folder the song is in and more than likely that will change the properties of all the songs your having issues with.
OriS 5:42 PM - 5 July, 2007
ill try it in a bit

somehow i got the feeling this is not the solution because these crates, including the mp3s in them are old and ive been using them ever since i got the ssl...

any other ideas?
meanwhile ill try the tip u gave me thanx...
OriS 6:53 PM - 5 July, 2007
zach-okay i tried your advise

with the windows explorer - i highlighted all the mp3s in that folder - pressed on properties - and double clicked the "read only" box so i made sure all the files were not "read only".
after that i ran the ssl and imported all those files thru the "import" of the ssl. i closed the program down - and ran it once more to see if the content of the crates was saved - and still they were empty...
evertime it happens the crate seems to even forgret all the columns i made inside them - like artist,song,location,added ect...

what should i do?
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:16 PM - 5 July, 2007
How much hard drive space do you have on the drive your files are importing from?
OriS 12:56 PM - 6 July, 2007
about 30 giga free space out of 250giga, plus that external hd is 4 months old....and works perfect when i connect it to my other pc (which has nothing to do with ssl - i have logic audio projects - im just saying that my external hd is in perfect condition..)
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:54 PM - 6 July, 2007
Can you try importing the same files to your internal drive and importing them into a crate to see if the files and crate save from there?
nobspangle 6:32 PM - 6 July, 2007
It's worth checking to make sure you aren't using files from internal and external drives in the same crate, I don't think this will work too well.
OriS 1:02 AM - 7 July, 2007
zach:
i tried and moved one file to the internal hd - imported it into the crate - and it saved it just fine...
after that i imported the rest of the mp3s from the external straight to the crate (which means everything is the same except for this one file which now was on the internal). closed the program - and not only that it didnt save non of the files except for the on on internal - now i got that error message again...
the next couple of times i ran the program and closed it - it sometimes showed me that error message and sometimes not...even if i made no change with the crates and files at all!

nobspangle - i double checked what u said - and theres no case of files from external and internal in same crates...but thanx anyway ill make sure it wont happen in the future either...

so something is still very wrong and - again - i must remind u that im talking about crates that were there since day one - and only now causing all this trouble

i need a solution please
thanx
OriS 1:15 PM - 7 July, 2007
latest news..
ive deleted those 2 crates - and created new ones - with the exact same name. imported all the mp3s into them - and now when i exit and re-enter - they're finally saved.

2 things are not in place yet:
1-im still getting the error thing when i exit program
2-each time i run ssl the alphabetical order of some crates - icluding those 2 new ones is getting messed up - all i have to do is organize them back by double clicking the artist or song name

these 2 problems may be minor but i think ssl should run without any of those bugs - how on earth do i get rid of these 2 problems?
OriS 8:52 AM - 9 July, 2007
hello?
can anyone help on this one?
thanx guys
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:22 PM - 9 July, 2007
Do you get the runtime error when your external isn't plugged in?
Quote:
2-each time i run ssl the alphabetical order of some crates - icluding those 2 new ones is getting messed up - all i have to do is organize them back by double clicking the artist or song name

Are the order of your crates getting messed up or just the files in them?
OriS 8:37 AM - 10 July, 2007
no problems at all when external hd is unplugged.

sometimes the crates themselves are moving to a different location from where they were.but this has been happening ever since - it doesnt bother me.

most of the time only the files in the crates are getting un-organized. and again - those are minor problems - so im more worried about the error thing when i close the program

thanx
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:45 PM - 10 July, 2007
I'm not sure what the error is but its obvious that it has to do with your external.
As far as SSL goes. Try renaming the databaseV2 file on your external.

To get to your hidden '.Scratch LIVE' folder on your external hard drive follow these directions:

1. Click on the 'Start' menu.
2. Click on the 'Control Panel'.
3. Make sure your in 'Classic' view (if your not in Classic view you will see a link on the left of the browser that says 'Switch to Classic View').
4. Click on 'Folder Options'.
5. Click on the 'View' tab.
6. Check the 'show hidden files and folders' option.

Now open up your external hard drive and you will see a grayed out .ScratchLIVE folder (hidden folder).
Rename the DatabaseV2 to 'DatabaseV2C'.

Close the window and open SSL.

As far as the file information. Try creating a location column in your 'all' section to see where all of your files are coming from and post the file path here.

To create a location column click on the little gray triangle in the little black box directly above the gray scroll bar on the far right side of the main library window.
Cee-T 4:07 PM - 13 July, 2007
I've got exactly the same problem as described by OriS...
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:31 PM - 13 July, 2007
Did that fix it Oris?
Cee-T 7:55 AM - 14 July, 2007
I am still wondering about when the error appears the first time. I guess that was after I plugged in the External in an unusual USB port..i mean.. i used the external 2 months without any problems.. and suddently there occures an error? huhm...
Serato
Josh 12:08 AM - 15 August, 2007
Please start your own help topic Cee-T, we can keep track of helping you much more easily that way :-)

Oris any update?
WakzON 8:20 AM - 31 August, 2007
I had the exact same problem......

The only thing that ended up fixing it for me was to delete the last crate I added. This fixed the problem....

Must have been a kurupt mp3....
DJ Civil 3:50 AM - 31 January, 2008
same issue. everything worked fine, added some crates.. was getting the "send problem to microsoft window" then it progressed into the runtime error as well.. makes you uneasy. I tried renaming the file you were talking about with no luck, and the way I made this issue stop is removing the crates I just added.. definitely something to do with the crates.. really hope there is a fix for this. these posts are a little older, i'm experiening this on 1.8, as it seems a lot of other people are as well
Serato
Josh 10:29 PM - 31 January, 2008
can you start your own topic civil? you should enable dr watson and upload a crash dump also, cheers.