Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Since upgrade to 1.7, issues

Product
ITCH
Version
-
Hardware
Numark V7 + Numark NSFX
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
jshpro2 8:23 PM - 1 October, 2010
Product: itch
Hardware: numark-v7||numark-nsfx
Computer: pc
OS Version: xp
---

For starters, if I press sync I can't get out of sync mode at all no matter what I do.
jshpro2 8:29 PM - 1 October, 2010
Step 1 - load song onto any deck (with existing song on other deck)
step 2 - press sync on one deck
step 3 - after sync lights up press it again

Expected: on second press (step 3) should turn off sync light and beat should drop to pitch control

Actual: remains in sync with red sync button illuminated
DTPRODJS 2:33 AM - 2 October, 2010
if your using 1.7 I found if you turn the beatgrid off you can get in and out of sync no prob. I had the same issue. I went back to 1.5 though. I had lots of other issues!
jshpro2 6:44 AM - 2 October, 2010
Yup thinking about going to 1.5 myself, it was more stable than 1.6 (1.6 keeps corrupting my library causing a freeze upon exit)

I couldn't believe it when I got the email that 1.7 was released. I was beta testing it and had several issues I had reported that never were addressed - then all of sudden out of nowhere its released. Bad bad bad
jshpro2 7:14 AM - 2 October, 2010
Wow gang starr would get laughed out of the club stuck permanently on +29% for the whole song. Its sad but true one minor slip up like this makes or breaks the thing.

1.7 is not performance ready and should be recalled immediately.
jshpro2 7:22 AM - 2 October, 2010
Yup, its the beat grid that has broken the sync feature. Beat grid is pointless to me anyways.

Another issue, the whole right most half of the wave form disappears in loop edit mode. This only happens sometimes. I click loop on/off button and wave form re-appears and playback resumes. I press reloop and then loop out button (to get in the loop & edit it) and the whole wave form disappears except for the part in the loop and to left of the loop. The whole right most part of the wave form disappears so I can't see if there's a beat to the right of my edit point.

As you see these are pretty major issues that have the ability to screw up someone's show. There are more, too many to list.
Guillaume Paco 11:20 PM - 3 October, 2010
Hey guys,
Have problems too with 1.7.
How do I get back to 1.5?
Thanks
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:18 AM - 4 October, 2010
Hi jshpro2,

The behaviour of the Sync button has changed in 1.7 if you have beatgrid enabled:

Quote:
Once your tracks have accurate Beat Grids you can now use them to easily sync two tracks together. Press SYNC to snap the Beat Grid of the track to that of the Beat Grid of the track on the other deck using the Master Clock. If the tracks start to fall out of time, press SYNC again to re-sync them. To turn sync off, press SHIFT and SYNC. When sync is off, pressing SHIFT and SYNC will toggle turning Auto Tempo on and off.

As DTPRODJS mentioned earlier, if you wish to revert to the previous Sync method you can turn off the "enable beat grid" option in the setup screen.

Quote:
Another issue, the whole right most half of the wave form disappears in loop edit mode. This only happens sometimes. I click loop on/off button and wave form re-appears and playback resumes. I press reloop and then loop out button (to get in the loop & edit it) and the whole wave form disappears except for the part in the loop and to left of the loop. The whole right most part of the wave form disappears so I can't see if there's a beat to the right of my edit point.

Does this issue happen on both decks or just one? Is your music on an internal or external hard drive?

Also could you please give me the specs of your computer?

Thanks.
jshpro2 10:24 AM - 4 October, 2010
Music is on internal drive.

I press shift on the laptop keyboard plus sync, nothing happens.

I press the "loop shift" button and now the platters continue moving, the whole computer is unresponsive, can't even control alt+delete

What "shift" key should I be pressing and why would it crash my whole computer?

The issue with the corrupted wave forms only happens randomly. For example, the left most (top) wave form now is like the top 50% of it were shifted a few hundred pixels to the left while the bottom 50% of that deck's wave form were shifted a few hundred pixels to the right. This occurred just now while trying find this elusive new "shift sync" button combination.

Here's a suggestion - in the future don't change stuff like the controls. Adding a beat grid shouldn't need me to start using my laptop keyboard - wasn't the selling point of this software/hardware?
jshpro2 10:44 AM - 4 October, 2010
After rebooting after that crash, I tried again. Neither of the "loop shift left/right" for either deck combined with the sync key gets me out of sync mode. Neither does pressing "shift" on the laptop keyboard.

You guys also regressed (changed unexpectedly to the user) the beat double up. When I bought this part of the whole selling point was 1 shortcut to double up. Now when I double up the tracks get stuck in different pitches and it sounds *awful*
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:47 AM - 6 October, 2010
Hi jshpro2,

Quote:
I press shift on the laptop keyboard plus sync, nothing happens.

With the release of ITCH 1.5, the Delete button on the NS7 now doubles as the Shift button - allowing you to control more ITCH functions from the NS7. So if you press this plus Sync, it will turn Sync off. If you're not wanting to use this feature at all then the best option would be to disable beat grids in the ITCH setup screen.

Quote:
The issue with the corrupted wave forms only happens randomly. For example, the left most (top) wave form now is like the top 50% of it were shifted a few hundred pixels to the left while the bottom 50% of that deck's wave form were shifted a few hundred pixels to the right. This occurred just now while trying find this elusive new "shift sync" button combination.

I've not seen this issue before, would you please be able to take a screen shot of this and attach it to this thread?

Quote:
Here's a suggestion - in the future don't change stuff like the controls. Adding a beat grid shouldn't need me to start using my laptop keyboard - wasn't the selling point of this software/hardware?

As the ITCH software progresses, there may be be changes to what the hardware controls do. This is to allow you to control new features from the hardware. These changes are always documented in the software release notes and the latest version of the manual. If you don't have this already, you can get the latest NS7 manual here -> www.serato.com (click link).

In the case of setting and editing beatgrids, these are done using the computer keyboard as it is not something you would normally do while performing - ideally you would set your beatgrids beforehand (also beatgrids can be edited in the offline player, with no hardware connected).

Quote:
You guys also regressed (changed unexpectedly to the user) the beat double up. When I bought this part of the whole selling point was 1 shortcut to double up. Now when I double up the tracks get stuck in different pitches and it sounds *awful*

When you say "beat double up" are you referring to the Instant Doubles feature (pressing Load A or Load B twice quickly to load the song playing on the opposite deck to this deck)? If so, this feature shouldn't have changed in 1.7. Or are you meaning a different feature?
jshpro2 12:04 PM - 6 October, 2010
The "delete" gets me out of sync mode. Thanks for that. That is good way to solve the problem guys.

However, instant doubles doe snot work.

Step 1 - load song on deck A set pitch to 0%
Step 2 - Put pitch slider on deck B to +1% or -1% (doesnt matter)
Step 3 - Press "load b" twice quickly

Actual result
Song that is on A loads onto B, but +1% up in pitch. After 1 measure its an 1/8th of a beat behind, after 2 measures the tracks are 1/4 beat apart, etc...

Expected result
Decks locked into same tempo, or half/double if pitch slider was more than 50% higher which it was not.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:21 AM - 8 October, 2010
Hey jshpro2,

Thanks for the bug report, I can reproduce the issue as you've described. I've notified the ITCH development team for a fix in a future release.

In regards to the corrupted waveform issue you were describing before, are you able to get a screenshot of this?
jshpro2 1:34 AM - 8 October, 2010
Perhaps it could be a setting in the setup, some people may like the current functionality. Either way has pros/cons.

When I have to control the pitch manually, it prevents sudden pitch jumps from accidentally going in/out of sync mode. That's a pro. The con is it takes longer to double up.

The pros to the auto sync upon double up include less work to double up a beat. The cons can be implied (when exiting sync mode you have to check where your pitch slider is)

So you see with the one method I have to worry about the pitch slider before the double up. With the other method I'd have to worry about it after. Different users may have different preferences.

I will try to produce the corrupted wave form issue when I get some time.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:43 PM - 11 October, 2010
Hey jshpro2,

Agreed, there are pros and cons to both ways of doing it. The devs are working on it now, so the next beta should have a fix.

Quote:
I will try to produce the corrupted wave form issue when I get some time.

Great, it will be a big help if I can see what is happening.

Thanks!
jshpro2 2:25 PM - 12 October, 2010
I can't replicate it, been trying all weekend. I will be sure to take a screenshot if it ever comes back. It must have been a problem that was solved after reboot or something.
jshpro2 4:02 PM - 12 October, 2010
Another issue just occurred. The wave form was not updating but sound and everything was responding. The CPU was between 50-75% and know usb drop out indicator turned on or anything, however when moving the pitch slider it sounded like a loose wire (kind of like when you have a pair of crappy head phones that are cutting out). However it happened only while I had the pitch slider in motion. As soon as I let it rest on any given pitch, audio came back in. As soon as I touched the pitch slider, it started chopping up & dropping out audio like a loose wire. I was not obstructing or moving the headphone jack in any way it solely correlated with moving of the pitch slider. After a few moments it went away.
jshpro2 4:02 PM - 12 October, 2010
"no usb drop out indicator turned on**" (sorry freudulent slip)
jshpro2 4:31 PM - 12 October, 2010
Here's another instability issue. I got "stuck" in this "mode".

img524.imageshack.us

See the blue LED next to the right deck's pitch slider indicates it is at 0%. The blue LED in the middle indicates both decks are at the same tempo, yet the left deck's pitch slider's LED indicates it is not at 0%. If deck 2 is at 0% and deck 1 and 2 are at the same tempo, how is it possible deck 1 is not also at 0%?

Also notice the sync light is on on that deck. I don't even remember pressing that button, but when I slide the left deck's pitch slider it moves from -60% to -40%. When I have it where it should be at 0%, it says -50%

This makes no sense.
4:35 PM, 12 Oct 2010
jshpro2 attached a file: 2010-10-12 12.11.20.jpg
View· Permalink
jshpro2 10:45 PM - 16 October, 2010
Here's another big issue. See attached video. Sorry for sideways filming. The issue is sometimes hot cue point 1 doesn't light up when loading songs that do have cue points in hot cue slot 1. It lights up if I had just set it (ex. delete it and re-create as in the video), but sometimes upon loading (after fresh reboot), it doesn't show up. As you see in the video, I was even to get it into an odd state where it shows the hot cue on the right deck only, even though the same track is doubled on both decks.
10:50 PM, 16 Oct 2010
jshpro2 attached a file: video-2010-10-16-18-38-26.3gp
Download· Permalink
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:15 AM - 21 October, 2010
Hey jshpro2,

Thanks for the feedback. Some of these issues sound like bugs, however some are not and are how the NS7 is supposed to work:

Quote:
The wave form was not updating but sound and everything was responding. The CPU was between 50-75% and know usb drop out indicator turned on or anything, however when moving the pitch slider it sounded like a loose wire (kind of like when you have a pair of crappy head phones that are cutting out). However it happened only while I had the pitch slider in motion. As soon as I let it rest on any given pitch, audio came back in. As soon as I touched the pitch slider, it started chopping up & dropping out audio like a loose wire. I was not obstructing or moving the headphone jack in any way it solely correlated with moving of the pitch slider. After a few moments it went away.

Did you have keylock on when this was happening? What do you have your USB buffer in ITCH set to? Also, can you please give me the specs of your computer?

Quote:
See the blue LED next to the right deck's pitch slider indicates it is at 0%. The blue LED in the middle indicates both decks are at the same tempo, yet the left deck's pitch slider's LED indicates it is not at 0%. If deck 2 is at 0% and deck 1 and 2 are at the same tempo, how is it possible deck 1 is not also at 0%?

This would be because the two tracks loaded to the deck have different BPMs. So you would adjust the pitch slider to get them to the same BPM - the BPM meter will now illuminate white to show the tracks are the same BPM, and the pitch sliders will be at differentt positions.

Quote:
Also notice the sync light is on on that deck. I don't even remember pressing that button, but when I slide the left deck's pitch slider it moves from -60% to -40%. When I have it where it should be at 0%, it says -50%

Ok, so if the SYNC button is on then the two decks tempos are synced - so the deck which you press SYNC on will automatically match the same BPM of the other deck, ignoring the postition of the Pitch Slider. This is why the pitch slider can sit at 0, but the pitch may not be at 0. If you have Beatgrids enabled, press SHIFT + SYNC to turn sync off, and if you don't have Beatgrids enabled press SYNC to turn sync off.

Quote:
The issue is sometimes hot cue point 1 doesn't light up when loading songs that do have cue points in hot cue slot 1. It lights up if I had just set it (ex. delete it and re-create as in the video), but sometimes upon loading (after fresh reboot), it doesn't show up. As you see in the video, I was even to get it into an odd state where it shows the hot cue on the right deck only, even though the same track is doubled on both decks.

This is a strange issue. Does it happen with the same files every time or is it random? Do you have the NS7 connected to a USB port on your computer or to a USB hub?

Thanks.
jshpro2 2:57 AM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:

Quote:
The issue is sometimes hot cue point 1 doesn't light up when loading songs that do have cue points in hot cue slot 1. It lights up if I had just set it (ex. delete it and re-create as in the video), but sometimes upon loading (after fresh reboot), it doesn't show up. As you see in the video, I was even to get it into an odd state where it shows the hot cue on the right deck only, even though the same track is doubled on both decks.

This is a strange issue. Does it happen with the same files every time or is it random? Do you have the NS7 connected to a USB port on your computer or to a USB hub?

Thanks.

It was happening to all songs that had a hot cue assigned in position 1, on either deck. There is no USB hub. It is not an intel based processor. After deleting and re-creating the hot cue point & re-creating it illuminates again. This had to be done separately for left & right deck, now it works on all song loads. I believe the symptoms persisted even after restarting ITCH.

In regards to different tracks with the sync light is on, that sounds like a plausible explanation. My memory does not serve me well enough to recall for sure if it was the same track or not. I will certainly follow up if I have further information or memories.
jshpro2 3:01 AM - 21 October, 2010
Actually I think my work around of deleting & re-creating the cue points fixed the symptoms for subsequent loads of only that specific track, regardless of the deck. It did not fix the hot cues in all other tracks on either deck upon subsequent loads.

So the fix seemed to apply "per track" not "per deck" as I previously reported. The cue points were still "physically there" like in the video, the only symptom was the button did not illuminate for that track in position 1, for either deck.

I should mention my upgrade history is like this: 1.5 -> 1.6 -> 1.7 beta -> 1.7 I have been using the same track library, periodically running the 'analyze' function of your software.
jshpro2 3:05 AM - 21 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
The wave form was not updating but sound and everything was responding. The CPU was between 50-75% and know usb drop out indicator turned on or anything, however when moving the pitch slider it sounded like a loose wire (kind of like when you have a pair of crappy head phones that are cutting out). However it happened only while I had the pitch slider in motion. As soon as I let it rest on any given pitch, audio came back in. As soon as I touched the pitch slider, it started chopping up & dropping out audio like a loose wire. I was not obstructing or moving the headphone jack in any way it solely correlated with moving of the pitch slider. After a few moments it went away.

Did you have keylock on when this was happening? What do you have your USB buffer in ITCH set to? Also, can you please give me the specs of your computer?

keylock on - i believe it was so, yes.
usb buff - 5ms / 250
specs - 2gb ram, amd athlon x2, if you need more details please follow up in a specific manner
jshpro2 3:21 AM - 21 October, 2010
You guys need a way to disable the sync feature in the settings. With the tempo match indicator its really only useful for doing pitch bends that stay in sync. I'd like to trade my ability to do that, in exchange for the insurance I won't accidentally hit the button :-D
jshpro2 9:53 PM - 25 October, 2010
Managed to produce the wave form issue on video. It is attaching to the thread as a .3gp video (filmed it sideways again sorry)
10:02 PM, 25 Oct 2010
jshpro2 attached a file: video-2010-10-25-17-48-41.3gp
Download· Permalink
DjRicksta 1:11 AM - 26 October, 2010
I have been using My Ns7 with itch 1.5 for year now Flawlessly!!! I switched to 1.7 and had a boatload of probs...the biggest was when i scratch on either deck then release the platter it goes really slow and will not speed up!! I also had the stuck in sync prob! Went back to 1.5!
jshpro2 11:08 PM - 29 October, 2010
In the documentation under 'looping' it states red corresponds to manual mode. On my hardware it does not, white does.
jshpro2 11:19 PM - 29 October, 2010
In the documentation under 'autolooping' it states that pressing the 1,2,4 or 8 button will set a loop that starts from the audio pointer's location when the button is pressed. This differs from observed behavior (that it always starts on a beat marker that is closest to the audio pointer's actual position). So for example, one could not stagger their 'autoloop' from that of the software's perceived position of the beats. This is not a use case I am likely to want, however the way the documentation is worded it leads me to believe I as a user have to worry about that corner case. Also it begs the obvious question what is the 'right' way to do auto loops in one of these situations? Shift the beat grid/use manual loops I would assume?
jshpro2 11:33 PM - 29 October, 2010
Autoloops can be saved, but this is currently an undocumented feature. It was documented at some point but its not in an obvious place or has been removed. I am looking under Advanced Features -> Looping, and nowhere is it mentioned that autoloops can be saved (which they can)
jshpro2 11:35 PM - 29 October, 2010
Under 'Editing a Loop' it is mentioned 'if the platter's motor is on, the normal rotation will move your loop in/loop out points. Since 1.7 this is not entirely true because the software waits until the user "touches" the spinning platter before the platter's movements begin to affect that input. Once I've touched, *then* the platter's rotation affects the loop out point. I don't know if it really matters but the documentation is technically wrong (not trying to be "smart" just helpful)
jshpro2 11:46 PM - 29 October, 2010
In the documentation it shows the 'effects panel overview' and divides it into 4 numbered areas. Number 2 is 'FX MIX". When I select 'repeater', it is shown as 'change' or 'chance' in the software. Which is it, because it behaves as the latter. For example I set the FX parameter to 1/1 timing. I press 'effects on' on a downbeat which uses that beat for the sample (this should be documented in my opinion). However the real problem is it operates like 'chance', it seems like every so often it 'rolls the dice' and depending on the outcome the sample is played basically instead of the main mix. So for example setting it to around 20% the song will just basically be playing with no modification from the FX processor. Nudging it up closer to 30% 'chance' all the sudden it kicks in for 3 seconds, drops out for 1, etc... It is behaving like a 'chance' and not a 'mix'. Is this correct behavior?
12:10 AM, 30 Oct 2010
jshpro2 attached a file: video-2010-10-29-19-48-03.3gp
Download· Permalink
jshpro2 5:33 PM - 30 October, 2010
You need a way to jump to loops quickly. Perhaps be able to press control+l on my keyboard and use my computer's number pad to key in a loop # (eg. '13'). Upon pressing enter it would select that loop (as opposed to having to press select 13x and if accidentally pressing it 14x I must press it 12 more times to make it loop back around)
jshpro2 5:37 PM - 30 October, 2010
Or maybe shift left+right could toggle thru the available loops (if you can differentiate between a button press & release, then one way that would be really great from a user perspective is to just hold down control and press shift left to go to the previous loop. For example consider I have a song like this:

|-----------------------|

There is a bit in the middle I want to loop:

|-------|-------|---------|

And then there is an 'inner' loop of sorts for loop 2:

|-----------|-|-----------|

Let's say I want to switch between these two loops, (while not playing outside of the larger loop) right now if you have more than a few loops its impossible, because 'select' de-activates the current loop, so the play head almost immediately is gone outside the loop.
jshpro2 5:38 PM - 30 October, 2010
'one way that would be really great from a user perspective is to just hold down control and press shift left '

* I mean hold down the 'select' button on the NS7 hardware + pressing the 'shift left' button on the NS7 hardware. That should select the previous loop for me without deselecting the current loop.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:38 AM - 4 November, 2010
Quote:
It was happening to all songs that had a hot cue assigned in position 1, on either deck. There is no USB hub. It is not an intel based processor. After deleting and re-creating the hot cue point & re-creating it illuminates again.

Quote:
Actually I think my work around of deleting & re-creating the cue points fixed the symptoms for subsequent loads of only that specific track, regardless of the deck. It did not fix the hot cues in all other tracks on either deck upon subsequent loads

So re-setting the cue point solves this issue? Do you still have one of these files that you haven't re-set the cue point for, and that has this issue? If so, can you please attach it to this thread for us to take a look at.

In regards to the audio dropout issue:
Quote:
keylock on - i believe it was so, yes.
usb buff - 5ms / 250
specs - 2gb ram, amd athlon x2, if you need more details please follow up in a specific manner

Thanks for the info. I would try increasing the USB buffer to 10 and see if this helps. Also, were you hearing these dropouts just in the headphones or were they in the main output too? Finally, not to alarm you, but there may be audio issues when using machines with AMD processors. See this FAQ for more info -> www.serato.com

Quote:
Managed to produce the wave form issue on video.

Thanks for the video, I can see what you mean now :) What is happening is that ITCH is loading the waveform from the point you are playing at on the other deck, and as you are playing forward, it then fills out the waveform going forward to the end of the song. It then fills in the rest of the waveform. So this is what you are seeing. Earlier I asked you for your specs, can you please tell me your CPU speed and whether you are using an internal or external hard drive? The faster your CPU and hard drive, the less time this should take.

Quote:
In the documentation under 'looping' it states red corresponds to manual mode. On my hardware it does not, white does.

You are right, we'll change this in the next manual. Thanks :)

Quote:
In the documentation under 'autolooping' it states that pressing the 1,2,4 or 8 button will set a loop that starts from the audio pointer's location when the button is pressed. This differs from observed behavior (that it always starts on a beat marker that is closest to the audio pointer's actual position)

True, the manual could be clearer - we'll change this too. The actual behaviour is that when an autoloop is engaged, it snaps to the closest transient (which will not necessarily be the nearest beat marker). If you were wanting to set a loop not on a transient, you would need to create a manual loop.

Quote:
Autoloops can be saved, but this is currently an undocumented feature.

Right again, we'll add this in :)

Quote:
Under 'Editing a Loop' it is mentioned 'if the platter's motor is on, the normal rotation will move your loop in/loop out points. Since 1.7 this is not entirely true because the software waits until the user "touches" the spinning platter before the platter's movements begin to affect that input. Once I've touched, *then* the platter's rotation affects the loop out point.

Correct, it's not entirely true, but the reason why the loop doesn't move with the platter is that as soon as you went to edit the loop out point it would start moving with the platter. We can alter the manual content again to better reflect this.

Quote:
In the documentation it shows the 'effects panel overview' and divides it into 4 numbered areas. Number 2 is 'FX MIX". When I select 'repeater', it is shown as 'change' or 'chance' in the software. Which is it, because it behaves as the latter. For example I set the FX parameter to 1/1 timing. I press 'effects on' on a downbeat which uses that beat for the sample (this should be documented in my opinion). However the real problem is it operates like 'chance', it seems like every so often it 'rolls the dice' and depending on the outcome the sample is played basically instead of the main mix. So for example setting it to around 20% the song will just basically be playing with no modification from the FX processor. Nudging it up closer to 30% 'chance' all the sudden it kicks in for 3 seconds, drops out for 1, etc... It is behaving like a 'chance' and not a 'mix'. Is this correct behavior?

Ahh yes, the Repeater effect is a tricky one - I'll try my best to explain how it works.

First, select how much of the music you want to repeat - e.g. 1/1 is for one beat, 4/1 is for four beats (a bar) etc. When you turn the Repeater effect on, this is the portion of audio that will be repeated.

Next up is the Chance parameter, which is controlled by the FX MIX slider. The Repeater is meant to work randomly, so it will randomly repeat the measure thoughout the song. Adjusting the Chance parameter will increase or decrease the likely hood of the measure being repeated. The only predictable Chance settings are 0% (never) and 100% (always).

It takes a little bit of playing with to get to grasps with it, but it's quite a cool effect :)

Quote:
You need a way to jump to loops quickly

In ITCH 1.7 you can use the following to jump to a loop and set it looping:

Shift + 1/2 X = Loop 1
Shift + 2 X = Loop 2
Shift + Left = Loop 3
Shift + Right = Loop 4

I hope this all helps :)
jshpro2 2:54 AM - 4 November, 2010
My computer is a dual 2.2GHz, 2GB ram, internal HDD. The song is already loaded so why would it take 3-4 seconds to load it on the other screen? It should already be in memory.

Shift (delete) + 1/2 x is not triggering loop one, its just halfing the current loop for me. What if I have 5 loops? That was kind of the idea. Also its not documented (let alone not working for me)
jshpro2 8:50 PM - 7 November, 2010
When adding songs to the library after a fresh install, I get a bunch of 'could not import, quick time not installed' messages. The problem is I'm not going to sit here and watch these messages flash by. Where can I view a text file with each message on it's own line, so I can comb through for errors after library additions?
jshpro2 2:34 AM - 8 November, 2010
You guys need an option to analyze only the songs that have been added since the last analyze took place. If I add an 200MB album to a 1TB music collection, that was last analyzed 5 minutes ago, does it really need to take a day or more to analyze 10 or so newly added songs?
jshpro2 2:51 AM - 8 November, 2010
Also another feature request: 'should remember which range mode the pitch sliders are in, after exiting and restarting itch it always resets to 8%. I like mine at 50%, almost always'.
jshpro2 3:03 AM - 8 November, 2010
Also here's another bottleneck type issue, unable to rapidly toggle between a selected genre and 'all' efficiently. There is a 1 second + lag after selecting all (I'm on a new computer now, desktop tower AMD Athlon 65 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 4GB of ram (cas latency 2). Hard drive array is using raid 1 striping. Windows page file is running off solid state hard drive.

All audio issues are gone as far as I can tell, so now I feel like I am running into software bottlenecks and not hardware bottlenecks. Selecting 'all' should be cached or something. I guess you could cache enough items to fill the window, and how big to draw the scrollbar?
jshpro2 3:04 AM - 8 November, 2010
I'm on the 'browse' tab. Also I meant AMD Athlon 64.
jshpro2 3:08 AM - 8 November, 2010
Also the wave form loading in slowly seems to be resolved on the desktop computer. That's probably because of the Radeon x1950. Everything is amazingly more responsive, great work guys.
jshpro2 11:38 PM - 8 November, 2010
Another performance thing I noticed, if I turn the scroll wheel really fast & jerky it lags out. If I turn it smoothly but almost quickly its really smooth. It seems like if the 'up arrow' signal gets sent too much, the software should not try to update on every command, nor should it try to not update until I stop the fast scrolling, it should instead maybe update after 'a few' scroll commands are sent.

Also I can honestly say I've never completed the library analyze process. I'll let it run non-stop for a few days and eventually I'll need to reboot the computer for work or something like that, when I reboot I have to start the analyze all over again. Needs an option to not analyze stuff that has been analyzed, and not changed. Ex - adding songs, resume after reboot. Right now the 'analyze' function is entirely dead to me.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:42 AM - 9 November, 2010
Quote:
Shift (delete) + 1/2 x is not triggering loop one, its just halfing the current loop for me. What if I have 5 loops? That was kind of the idea. Also its not documented (let alone not working for me)

You're right, unfortunately this feature is broken in 1.7 and 1.7.1. It will be fixed in the next release, but if you want to try it out it does work in 1.5. This feature is documented in the latest version of the NS7 manual.

Quote:
When adding songs to the library after a fresh install, I get a bunch of 'could not import, quick time not installed' messages. The problem is I'm not going to sit here and watch these messages flash by. Where can I view a text file with each message on it's own line, so I can comb through for errors after library additions?

I'm afraid this does not exist, it is a good idea though.

Quote:
You guys need an option to analyze only the songs that have been added since the last analyze took place. If I add an 200MB album to a 1TB music collection, that was last analyzed 5 minutes ago, does it really need to take a day or more to analyze 10 or so newly added songs?

If you click the Analyze Files button ITCH will only analyze files that have not already been analyzed. If you drag and drop files onto the Analyze Files button or hold ctrl + click the button then ITCH will force reanalyze all these files.

Quote:
Also another feature request: 'should remember which range mode the pitch sliders are in, after exiting and restarting itch it always resets to 8%. I like mine at 50%, almost always'.

Good point, I'll pass this suggestion on.

Quote:
Also here's another bottleneck type issue, unable to rapidly toggle between a selected genre and 'all' efficiently. There is a 1 second + lag after selecting all

That's odd, I don't have this issue at all. How many songs do you have in your library? With a large library I could see how there may be a lag.

Quote:
Another performance thing I noticed, if I turn the scroll wheel really fast & jerky it lags out. If I turn it smoothly but almost quickly its really smooth. It seems like if the 'up arrow' signal gets sent too much, the software should not try to update on every command, nor should it try to not update until I stop the fast scrolling, it should instead maybe update after 'a few' scroll commands are sent.

By scroll wheel are you meaning the platters or the scroll knob?
jshpro2 9:25 AM - 9 November, 2010
Quote:
You're right, unfortunately this feature is broken in 1.7 and 1.7.1. It will be fixed in the next release, but if you want to try it out it does work in 1.5. This feature is documented in the latest version of the NS7 manual.

Where in the manual?

Quote:

That's odd, I don't have this issue at all. How many songs do you have in your library? With a large library I could see how there may be a lag.

189GB or 26,266 files. I agree there should be lag the first time I do it, but if it should not lag each time I click it. ITCH should cache it or something. I plan to grow my library much larger than it's current size. I would think a lot of ITCH users will be adding large libraries.

Quote:

Scroll knob.
jshpro2 9:55 PM - 9 November, 2010
Regular mouse scroll wheel does nothing. Should scroll the same as the scroll knob. What if I want to throw my set up on an HDTV, to do a search I might have to physically walk over to the computer. After walking over to the computer I'd have no scroll wheel, would have to walk back to the NS7, access the scroll knob, walk back, do another search, etc. I should be able to scroll (with my mouse's scroll wheel) whether I have the Ns7 right by me or not
jshpro2 11:52 PM - 9 November, 2010
'Relocate lost files' - Need a way to choose which drives/folders to search. All my music is on E:\music - why should I wait for it to search through 10 other drives?
jshpro2 1:09 AM - 10 November, 2010
Dragging items from the 'history' list to a crate does not add it. I have to load it to a deck, then drag it to crate.
jshpro2 3:20 AM - 14 November, 2010
Aif is the default file format. It is impossible to convert this to something usable, without purchasing some program as far as I can tell. What program does Serato recommend to convert Aif to Wav? As long as that is the default format this should be a sticky or something. I think its pretty unacceptable that that is the default format when 90% of windows programs won't recognize it. I did change the option in the setup, now how do I utilize my existing recordings since they are in a proprietary format?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 5:14 AM - 19 November, 2010
Hey jshpro2,

Quote:
Where in the manual?

It's on page 6 of the NS7/V7/NSFX manual.

Quote:
Quote:

Scroll knob.

I'm unable to repruoduce this using the scroll knob. Does this only happen when scrolling the library, or in other panels too?

Quote:
Regular mouse scroll wheel does nothing.

Quote:
Dragging items from the 'history' list to a crate does not add it.

That's odd, both of these functions both work for me in ITCH 1.7.1. Have you tried it using this version?

Quote:
'Relocate lost files' - Need a way to choose which drives/folders to search. All my music is on E:\music - why should I wait for it to search through 10 other drives?

You can drag folders on to the Relocate Lost Files button, ITCH will then only search through these folders.

Quote:
Aif is the default file format. It is impossible to convert this to something usable, without purchasing some program as far as I can tell.

There is a lot of audio conversion software out there, there should be some freeware/shareware software which will do this. I don't have a particular piece of software for Windows that I can recommend, but I purchased Switch for Mac (it's available for PC too) which works great :)
jshpro2 4:52 PM - 19 November, 2010
Quote:

Scroll knob.
I'm unable to repruoduce this using the scroll knob. Does this only happen when scrolling the library, or in other panels too?

In my original post I wrote that its happening under the genre panel, never mentioned the library.

As far as the library goes I have another problem, if you create a folder called "music" and then within it create folders of varying lengths "a", "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa", ""aaaaaaaaa", etc... as you scroll over the folders of varying lengths, the panels "tweak out". This can/should be a LOT smoother.

Quote:

Aif is the default file format. It is impossible to convert this to something usable, without purchasing some program as far as I can tell.

There is a lot of audio conversion software out there, there should be some freeware/shareware software which will do this. I don't have a particular piece of software for Windows that I can recommend, but I purchased Switch for Mac (it's available for PC too) which works great :)
I looked into it I guess I just don't see how I should have to buy a $30 software to get my old recordings back :-( Or to play my flac files. I spent $1,500 on this packages between Numark & Serato, I guess I'm stupid for not looking more into what I was buying but I figured for $1,500 you guys would have the concept of audio codecs implemented.

In my opinion you should buy me and every other paid ITCH user, a copy of "Switch" as compensation. (Either that or add flac support and change the default recording format in future versions)
jshpro2 2:35 AM - 23 November, 2010
When doing 'instant doubles' it doesn't sync, I reported that earlier. However if you let them play at different tempos for a while (why would I do this? multiple songs/samples in the same track.) Eventually they will randomly sync up, so the pitch for the music that is playing jumps around suddenly after a random amount of time.

Also I had activated the 'loop in' button at some point without pressing 'loop out', after the selection becomes large enough wave form glitching happens. I do not believe it is performance related. One way I could replicate it consistently was to activate loop in at the start of a really long track. Then press on the 'strip search' close to the end. The play head jumps to that position, but the wave form to the left of the play head position* is never loaded.

*(subsequent to touching the strip search)
jshpro2 2:38 AM - 23 November, 2010
In regards to the latter issue, sometimes the green overlay representing the loop selection remains flush with the play head. Other times (different decks/songs) after touching the track pad the 'loop in' button is illuminated, the 'loop out' button is not illuminated, however the green shaded area completely disappears. Pressing loop out does not illuminate 'loop out' or have any other visible affect.
jshpro2 5:31 AM - 24 November, 2010
Serious issue: ITCH.exe is using 50% CPU during idle. Both decks paused, not analyzing songs. Hardware connected. Same hardware as last stated. Also does the same symptoms upon trying to exit on this new machine. 1.7.1
jshpro2 5:33 AM - 24 November, 2010
Minor issues: NSFX does not function if plugged in after ITCH.exe is started, only randomly (intermittently). Work around = restart itch.
jshpro2 3:00 AM - 26 November, 2010
Also, if you unplug the NS7 (but not the NS7FX), and then plug the NS7 back in, the NS7FX no longer does anything, pressing buttons, etc.. does nothing, but the buttons are illuminated and the NS7 works fine.

Also on this computer, I'm unable to exit ITCH (like before with the old version and old computer). Upon exiting it locks up, end task under Applications does nothing, have to click on the 'processes' tab and kill ITCH.exe *every time*. Will never quit gracefully. This is so not cool. What do I need to do to help you help me?
jshpro2 10:12 PM - 26 November, 2010
In the middle of playing music and it starts locking up for no reason. Then suddenly the music stops and the whole ITCH.exe crashes with a "windows error report".

Basically theres no way to gig with this crap happening, needless to say. And its extremely annoying while practicing to say the least, just posting these threads consumes my time. I am doing Q & A work you guys should have done.

I'm probably going to have to try reverting to v1.5, I'm just at a total loss with 1.7 - I really tried to make it work but just way too unstable.
10:12 PM, 26 Nov 2010
jshpro2 attached a file: ad04_appcompat.txt
Download· Permalink
jshpro2 10:15 PM - 26 November, 2010
On ITCH v1.7 I can't search for files and view their location either. I'm typing control+f and running a search, it finds 3 songs. I'd like to learn my song's file locations so I don't need the search every time.

However upon right clicking a song in the search results list, nothing happens. Highlighting the song and pressing control+f, nothing happens. You should have consistent behavior anytime I am viewing a list of songs. Why can't I do anything but load a song from the search results list?
jshpro2 10:24 PM - 26 November, 2010
Also I swear to god songs randomly start themselves over for no reason, I'm not not touching anything. I'll be like EQing the outgoing track and incoming track will start over, no loops active, not accidentally touching my 'strip search' (its happened a few times now and I've with-held filing the report in case it was my fault, its not!)
jshpro2 10:26 PM - 26 November, 2010
Where am I supposed to download ITCH 1.5? 1.7 is totally unusable for me.
jshpro2 3:51 AM - 27 November, 2010
I'm now trying to install the software that came with the NS7, off the ITCH disk itself. I am getting 1607 error, in the past you have closed user's issues and blamed their router (WTF!?) serato.com

I am installing it off the original disk and getting the same error. It did begin installing, but it sat there for hours, not responding to 'cancel' on the progress. SO I tried to run it a second time, thats when I started getting the 1607 errors.
jshpro2 6:14 AM - 27 November, 2010
Downgraded to 1.5, it is not stable either! Within minutes I ended up in this "hole". Track was loaded and it's clock ticking, however no waveform & no audio.
jshpro2 6:15 AM - 27 November, 2010
jshpro2 6:35 AM - 27 November, 2010
Now I can't install 1.7, it keeps crashing with that 1607 error. (after rebooting it fixes this 1607 error) - but I still can't install at all, period. See below.

Guys I don't mean to be rude but come on... this is crap for user experience. I can't use my mixer at all, period. When I run the install for v1.7 now I got a billion popups from windows "new hardware wizard", kept clicking cancel and the install progress hangs with the status bar 75% full, just sits there forever.
jshpro2 6:47 AM - 27 November, 2010
After continually running 1.7 installer, and continually rebooting it finally worked. You guys may look at all these issues and say "most of the stuff works", or "it works most of the time". I look at it and say, it never works the 1st time, and sometimes it doesn't work the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th times, etc..

Its terrible user experience I swear. I am still of the opinion the NS7 is the best hardware out there for my needs, and still see great potential in it, unfortunately your software has made me regret my investments.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:12 AM - 29 November, 2010
Hi jshpro2,

I'm sorry that you're running into all these issues, this is definitely not a normal user experience.

In regards to the 1607 error you were experiencing, this is an issue with InstallShield software which we use to install our software. Steps to resolve this can be found here -> support.microsoft.com and here -> consumer.installshield.com. It's not necessarily the fault of the InstallShield software, it can be settings in Windows that can cause this.

In regards to the crash you had, this is of concern to us. How often is this happening? Is it happening with the same audio files or different ones? A crash report is the most helpful thing for us as we can (usually) see where the crash has occurred. There's an article here explaining how to get a crash report here -> www.serato.com (click link). Once you have a crash report please attach it to this thread.

Thanks.
jshpro2 4:26 AM - 29 November, 2010
Yes I have that Dr Watson enabled, log file and dmp file incoming! It has happened only once. Although I have had other programs crash since Serato last crashed (Eg. Virtual DJ)
4:26 AM, 29 Nov 2010
jshpro2 attached a file: user.dmp
Download· Permalink
4:31 AM, 29 Nov 2010
jshpro2 attached a file: drwtsn32.log
Download· Permalink
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:32 AM - 30 November, 2010
Thanks for the report, I've forwarded it on to the ITCH dev team and will let you know what they find.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:55 AM - 10 December, 2010
Hey jshpro2,

Sorry for the delay in reply, the ITCH have been very busy at the moment.

Unfortunately the dump file you attached was not for ITCH, the process that crashed in that dump was C:\wamp\bin\apache\apache2.2.11\bin\httpd.exe, which (from a quick Google search) seems to be Apache related? Were there any other dump files?
jshpro2 6:15 PM - 10 December, 2010
No sorry, I was not running DR Watson at the time of the crash, and have not had any crash since. Do I need to re-arm Dr Watson after any other application crashes?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:22 AM - 14 December, 2010
It looks like once it's enabled it's always on, as this article says that you have to edit the registry to disable it -> support.microsoft.com.
3:00 AM, 28 Dec 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.