Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

how to sync the bridge with an external midi clock source

Product
The Bridge
Version
Ableton
Scratch Live
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
tchan 9:55 PM - 30 September, 2010
Product: thebridge
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.4
---

Hi there,

I'm trying to sync two mac laptops for a collaborative performance. I'm using an ad hoc wifi connection and network midi in os x to sync the laptops via midi beat clock. Here's a list of the hardware/software in each rig:

Laptop 1 (master clock): macbook, os x 10.6.4, ableton live 8.2, monome128, iPad (griid control app), lemur

Laptop 2 (slave): macbook pro-13, os x 10.6.4, ableton live 8.2, serato scratch live 21122, rane ttm57sl, novation dicer, iPad (touchAble control app)

When The Bridge is enabled on laptop 2, the EXT sync switch is no longer accessible in Live. However, I notice that Live is still receiving the MIDI sync information from the master clock (laptop 1). I'm assuming Serato SL is using Live's external sync in order to sync Live's clip matrix with Serato decks.

My question: is it possible for Ableton Live to sync to an external source (ie. network midi beat clock) while the Bridge is enabled?

We want the Live sessions to be in sync on both laptops. However, the decks can remain independent which enables us to scratch on top of the beats from Live.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Cheers!
tchan 2:43 AM - 6 October, 2010
bump ;-)
Ableton, Support
jesseterry 7:58 PM - 12 October, 2010
Hi tchan,
I don't think what you're trying to do is possible as you currently have it set up, as Ableton Live can't be a slave to two different tempos at the same time.

However, you should be able to make laptop 2 the master clock, and Laptop 1 the slave (in effect, Serato Scratch Live on Laptop 2 would be controlling the tempo of Ableton Live on Laptop 2, and Ableton Live on Laptop 2 would be controlling the tempo of Ableton Live on Laptop 1.

Let me know if that works for you...
Best,
Jesse
tchan 3:48 AM - 13 October, 2010
Hey Jesse,

Thanks for responding! I started the same thread in the Ableton forum and had similar suggestions from live users:

forum.ableton.com

Unfortunately, the Bridge/Serato/Ableton laptop can't be the master clock in our setup. The other collaborators in the group use Live and we sync all the laptops wirelessly via network midi.

My collaborator, who uses SSL, wants to branch out and have the option of jamming with us in Live for certain songs. He can scratch sounds in SSL, jam away with max for live monome apps and start scratching again with the same laptop & mixer/audio interface. He's not using SSL to DJ full tracks, he's mainly scratching & manipulating sounds.

Ideally we'd like to have the option to turn OFF the auto sync between SSL and Ableton Transport Control so we can enable EXT sync in Live. However, the only way I could get EXT sync to work properly was to shut down SSL entirely.

With SSL open and Bridge mode DISABLED, we can only select "Serato virtual audio device" as the audio driver in Live. When you run EXT sync in this mode, the timing is horribleā€¦up to +/- 30bpm per half bar! When we shut down SSL altogether, we were able to select Rane's ttm57sl driver, and was able to reliably sync the Live session with the other laptops.

For our needs, we should probably be running separate instances of SSL and Live and use a firewire interface exclusively for Live. However, I'm hoping some modifications can be made in future revisions of the Bridge to accommodate collaborative performance situations like ours.

What we love most about the Bridge is:
[1] routing both SSL & Live audio through the Rane TTM57SL - don't have to carry another audio interface, we can send less inputs to the FOH mixer and we have more control over our own mix
[2] the modified Live session view in SSL - reduces the amount of time we toggle between applications

Perhaps there can be an elegant solution to enable external sync in an upcoming Bridge revision? Or maybe a modification to "Serato virtual audio device" driver where the properties change to match the Rane "TTM57SL" driver if the Bridge is disabled?

Anyway, just throwing out some ideas which can hopefully open up the Bridge to other users :)

Cheers,

Trevor