Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

i am very! disapointed! over closed my bug report over tempo-knoob

Product
ITCH
Version
-
Hardware
Vestax VCI-300 + Vestax VFX-1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
slowhand 12:14 AM - 10 September, 2010
Product: itch
Hardware: vestax-vci-300||vestax-vfx-1
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.4
---

hello serato team,

i am really really disapointed over closing my thread, before you have checked my problem about the tempo/sync knoob... so, hear me and give me answer or make conversation and do not close this thread!!!
goin´ to tell this prob once time again!...
1. load track left, play
2. load track right, (not playing)
3. make right track same bpm as left
4. make left track master bpm (push tempo-knoob)
5. mixin´ and pitch right track eg. 3 bpm faster but nothing happen suddenly the fader on program jumps
there are one more problem
if I pitch my fader wider than the arrow looks than the fader takes the control. that isn’t right. in 1.5 is good.
hope i could explain a bit exactly but in german i can do this better...
and pls don’t close my threat until you have conversation with me so that I can explain my problem exacter
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 10:56 PM - 10 September, 2010
Hello Slowhand,

Make sure the sync button is not activated while you do this and it should not jump. What it sounds like is it is trying to find the BPM while you are pitch bending and changing the tempo. I am not to sure on the pitch fader wider then the arrows, but lets go step by step.
Try to mix without the sync on and see if that helps :)

Thank you for your post

Thank you,
Carl
slowhand 11:33 PM - 10 September, 2010
hello carl,
ok..thx 4 response.
tell u step by step...
v.1.5
left track load 120bpm
right track load 122bpm and set (i was wrong before) auto tempo to pitch f 120-122bpm
with left track. so far ok.
v.1.7 (beatgrid off)
left load 120bpm
right track load 122bpm and set (i was wrong before) auto tempo to pitch f 120-122bpm with left track. so far ok.
the arrow (right) indicates up, and then if i pitch fader OVER the point that where i have the same bpm the fader takes control that isnt right.
next step i will u tell after your response
thx
slowhand 11:40 PM - 10 September, 2010
forgot to say..
in 1.5 the led indicator of autotempo if i push it right, only the right is lightning thats ok
but in 1.7 both are lightning thats delusively.
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 1:23 AM - 11 September, 2010
Me and my fellow technician tried to replicate your issue and could not find the problem your having. Can you please make a video of exactly what your doing and the exact buttons you press and also a video of the ITCH on the screen. This will help me better understand your issue. Can you provide me with this info if possible.

Thank you,
Carl
9:24 AM, 12 Sep 2010
slowhand attached a file: 2010-09-12 10-58-11.840.wmv
Download· Permalink
slowhand 9:25 AM - 12 September, 2010
hello carl,
now i´ve made a video, hope i could show it good enough. if not i´ve made also pics and will write in these pics description.. how do you like it go tell me... if needed
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 12:05 AM - 14 September, 2010
Hello Slowhand,

Thank you for that detailed video and downloading it to the forums.

I think this is the fix for the issue your having-
----One of the AUTO TEMPO'S has to be off when one is on.

On page 15 of the manual an accurate description of auto tempo is given.

I took this from the manual for you:

Auto Tempo:::
To simplify getting your tracks in time, ITCH features auto tempo.
Pressing the AUTO TEMPO button for a deck will disengage the pitch
slider on that deck and automatically match it’s tempo to the other
deck. Auto tempo requires a BPM value for each track to work. While
auto tempo is on, the AUTO TEMPO button will flash for that deck.
Whilst auto tempo is engaged, the playback speed is controlled by the
pitch slider of the deck that doesn’t have auto tempo turned on. Both
decks will follow any changes you make to this deck. If you have both
decks in auto tempo mode, they will follow a “ghost tempo” which is the
tempo that you were at when you started using auto tempo.
On the ITCH GUI there is a “pitch navigator” that shows you how far
away the slider is from the current auto tempo value. This can be used
to get the pitch slider into the right position before switching back to
manual tempo mode.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask me any further questions if needed

Thank you,
Carl
slowhand 12:49 AM - 14 September, 2010
hello carl,
you are right in this description.. but this is for v1.5 in this vers. is everything the same as the manual describes. but in v1.7 i push 1 button then both lights turn on, remember.. only in v1.7 is this prob, this isnt a hardware fault.
in v1.5 i never have these prob.
Once again: e.g in v1.5
left loaded...right loaded...right tempo-knoob pushed.. right LED lights (no blink) can control both track now with left pitch. push left knoob both LED light... all these functions are right.
in v1.7 do the same til pushing knoob right, but both LED lights (see video).
so i thought in my video is everything shown, the manual you put it here is right but not for v1.7 it doesnt work!..
awaiting response
thx a lot
BBN 2:12 AM - 14 September, 2010
Besides wrong Beatgrids and not reanalyzing my files if there's allready a BPM in the ID3-tag, this is another very disappointing bug in ITCH 1.7.

You can push the Auto-BPM/Syncbutton of the deck you don't want again to turn it off, but we didn't have to do this in ITCH 1.5.
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 9:17 PM - 15 September, 2010
I will let Serato know this is an issue and have them investigate it more.
Please message me if there are any other questions.

Thank you both for your input and video

Thank you,
Carl
slowhand 10:19 PM - 15 September, 2010
thx carl,
to tell this prob it has taken many times and nerves of mine...
thx really 4 hearing me, thought serato leave me alone with it... in my 1st helprequest.
greetings
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 11:15 PM - 15 September, 2010
I will be truthful. I have never seen this issue and i want to take care of you to the best of my ability. With a software issue like this i will need Serato's Expert advice.

Thank you for understanding.

Thank you,
Carl
slowhand 3:55 PM - 16 September, 2010
hello carl,
so i´m wating until anyone fix this problem and use v1.5 that runs best 4 me... thx 4 reply.
hear of you
greetings f. germany
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 12:37 AM - 18 September, 2010
Thank you very much for your videos and hanging in there while we tried to figure this one out. I will let Serato know this is a bug.

Thank you,
Carl
slowhand 2:19 PM - 2 November, 2010
hello carl,
I just wanted to know the progress of problem solving...
thx for response

greetings
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 3:09 AM - 5 November, 2010
Hi slowhand.

Sorry about the delay, because this item was logged as a bug, this thread didn't come back to my attention when you re-posted and I only just saw this.

When you press 'AUTO TEMPO' the software will match the BPM of the deck you pressed the AUTO-TEMPO on the deck (ie. Deck B) with the other deck (ie. Deck A).

The pitch sliders on the VCI-300 on Deck A (master deck) will move both virtual decks pitch amounts in the software. The pitch slider on Deck B (the 'slave) won't engage until you 'sweep' past the correct pitch position - this is displayed by the arrow in the software. (ie. in teh video, you would need to press the RANGE down button to engage the pitch slider again and get this to change the tempo of the songs.

Is this not working for you?
slowhand 8:34 AM - 5 November, 2010
Hello Carl,
i´ve try different things in v1.7 and nothing works (just this problem) like (i always said) in v1.5.
if i reach the arrow and go over this point this slave takes suddenly control. don´t know how to explain this bug exactlier but try and see by yourself...
...and besides i did´t see (without lookin on itch software) wich deck as mastertempo i have choosen. in v1.5 i play left choose deck right by push autotempo to make the same tempo as left, the left light didn´t blink (this is right).
i sorry but i feel slowly that serato makin joke... or wouldn´t understand me...
i say again... watch my video and try to understand over what i´m talk about.

thx 4 hearing me
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 12:43 AM - 8 November, 2010
I saw the video, it looked like the correct behavior - there was a small change in how this worked from ITCH 1.5 to ITCH 1.7. This was at the request of users.

Both the slave and master can can control the pitch. I am sorry if this is confusion, maybe we can get you to explain in German and we can ask one of our German users to come and read it?
slowhand 2:28 AM - 8 November, 2010
ok i´m talkin german...

das ist nur ein beispiel egal wieviel bpm..
1. lade ich 1 track links (125bpm), den 2 rechts (127bpm)
2. setze den rechten track durch drücken des autotempo knopf auf die gleiche BPM (125bpm) wie links.
Das erste verwirrende ist wenn ich rechts den autotempo drücke, leuchten"beide" knöpfe in v1.5 wars nur der rechte dann wusste ich mein mastertempo ist links, ohne dass ich auf meinen monitor schauen musste, war in 1.5 also wesentlich leichter!
3. wenn ich jetzt meinen linken pitchfader auf 128 bpm hochpitche ist alles so wie es sein soll, aber es ist ebenso verwirrend wenn beide jtzt auf 128 bpm stehen herauszufinden welche nun mein mastertempo ist.
4. wenn ich jetzt den pitchfader rechts in pfeilrichtung bewege (merke! links! ist mein mastertempo!) springt die bpm anzeige plötzlich und! das mastertempo wird rechts übernommen! das ist nicht richtig! in v1.5 ist dieses problem nicht vorhanden. ich regel den rechten fader schon im vorfeld damit ich, wenn ich links einen neuen track lade, den rechten autotempo knopf ausschalten kann, damit ich später dann rechts das mastertempo regeln kann indem ich nun links den autotempo knopf drücke... so nun ist schluss mit meinen erklärungen.
Fragt nicht dauernd nach wie sich was verhält warum dies u das so ist usw. probiert doch endlich! mal selber meine Erklärungen aus, langsam habe ich das Gefühl ich werde nicht ernst genug genommen...
nik39 8:32 PM - 8 November, 2010
This is just an example no matter what the bpm is used

1. I load the first track to the left deck (125bpm), the second track to the right deck (127bpm)

2. set the right track to the same BPM as the left one (125bpm) by pressing the autotempo button.

The first confusing thing is, that when I press autotempo button on the right deck, then both buttons light up, while in version 1.5 only the right deck was lit, so I knew that the mastertempo is on the left deck without having to check the screen.

3. if I move the left deck's pitchfader to 128bpm, then everything happens as expected. Both decks are at 128bpm, but I still don't know which deck is the mastertempo.

4. If I move the right deck's pitchfader towards the arrow (remember: my left deck has the mastertempo), then suddenly the bPM display jumps and the mastertempo is suddenly on the right. That is wrong and it did not happen in v1.5. [and that's where I lost slowhands german explanation - sorry :-( ]
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 4:04 AM - 9 November, 2010
Thanks heaps nik39.

slowhand.
OK - so this is the correct behavior of the software.
Both pitch sliders work as tempo controls when you are in auto-tempo mode now.
slowhand 7:40 AM - 9 November, 2010
...and why is this so? in my eyes this is an incorrect behavior...
but if your team let this soft so as it is... i´ll never use 1.7
one say this is a bug next one say this is correct, so what´s right now?...
i´m really really confused....
nik39 10:01 AM - 9 November, 2010
slowhand, can you elaborate on the german part which I did not understand? Feel free to do it in german.
slowhand 11:34 PM - 9 November, 2010
(i dont understand why no one make a comparison between the 2 versions!) there is a clearly different between 1.5 and 1.7 with the autotempo knoob they works totally different... :| so slowly i´m boring about to explain my problem with 1.7

this is the part u didn´t understand...
i will rule the right fader before because if i load a track left i can switch off the right autotempo-knoob. here is stepwise (this is in ver. 1.5) ver. 1.7 works different here is what i expect in ver. 1.7
1.stop left track
2.pitch fader right to original tempo e.g. 128
3.switch off the right autotempo-knoob
4.load track left (remember no autotempo is now on)
5.push left autotempo-knoob to take bpm from right
6.now i can rule with right pitchfader the bpm to bring it higher or lower
and so one left...right...right..left...left...right etc.
some things no one can explain good enough, because its to difficult... and an other language makes it more complicated. so once and last again TRY to reproduce
this by yourself.

and if u want to know, what i wrote further... here it is.
...it´s over now with my declaration.
Don´t ask always how some things go so or so why is this and that and so on. try at last by yourself my declarations.
slowly but surely i´ve got that feeling i will be taken not serious enough...

thx (dont understand why maybe no one has this problem) :|
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 1:37 AM - 10 November, 2010
We can reproduce this function as it is the intended functionality.

You are right, there is a change from 1.5 to 1.7, this is because we have introduced Beat Sync using Beatgrids.

The change of button behavior when not using Beatgrids (ie Beatgrids are not enabled) was because the bulk of users requested the change so it was easier with less confusion about what was synced to what as well as making the functionality similar to Sync using Beatgrids.

However, this isn't obviously going to please everyone (ie. you), and that is unfortunate.

We are reviewing the sync process for the next version of ITCH, so you could either use 1.5 for the time being, or wait until the next version to try out?
slowhand 7:37 AM - 10 November, 2010
ok. thx 4 response

i´m continue using ver. 1.5 this ver din´t makes me confused. beatgrid i a nice toy, limiter maybe better (believe your ears)
this kind of settings (programing) brings no advantage... not 4 me. i would make an arrangement to use 1.7 if beatgrid can be disabled and 1.5 behavior come back. but this function isnt´t available. (other people told me it is but it is not)
I did not blow up this discussion so unnecessary, but it would not or could not understand me.
...and the behavior of the button who is not the master, isn´t also right. because if i pitch them they take control over both track and if i slide the fader to the arrow, suddenly he jumps. take a vci300 and try out all possibilities to see whats happen...

thx 4 hearing me and your patience.
slowhand 7:51 AM - 10 November, 2010
here´s one to mention,
i respect the the work the patience and everything to satisfy the users of itch.
sometimes it´s a difficult job, i know what i´m talkin´ about...
greetings
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 11:16 PM - 10 November, 2010
The behavior changed partly to make both decks a 'master' so that users didn't have to think about what pitch slider was the one to move, as that was confusing loads of people.

With your case, is there a reason why you'd want to use the pitch slider? Couldn't' you just un-sync the deck and use the slider?
7:00 AM, 25 Nov 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.