Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

no FLAC support in ITCH

Product
ITCH
Version
-
Hardware
Vestax VCI-300 +
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
pasik 7:24 PM - 19 July, 2010
Product: itch
Hardware: vestax-vci-300||no-fx-controller
Computer: pc
OS Version: win732
---

ITCH doesn't support playing FLAC audio files. Please add FLAC support to ITCH. Other DJ software like Traktor Pro, DjDecks, VirtualDJ do support FLAC!

I have a lot of music as FLAC files, and I don't want to convert them to another format.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 9:39 PM - 20 July, 2010
Hi pasik.

At this stage ITCH doesn't support FLAC. If you are needing to use these files at present then you may need to do a quick batch conversion (to WAV/AIFF if you want to keep the quality high, or MP3 if you are pushed for space).
Sorry for the hassle.
pasik 10:08 PM - 20 July, 2010
Ok. Is this a planned feature for ITCH?

It seems many people want it, as can be seen from this thread: www.serato.com
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 11:34 PM - 20 July, 2010
You are right, there is a good crew of folk who want this.
Unfortunately this is about balancing development time, software stability etc.
So at present we don't support it, and while we would love to support every single format, there isn't the FLAC support at present.
Sorry.
jshpro2 12:05 AM - 21 July, 2010
Please add flac support.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 12:20 AM - 21 July, 2010
Cool. I'd add your voices into the thread here, the more people who want it, the higher chances this will go further up the list and get development tiem over other features:
www.serato.com

Cheers guys!
ps-partysound 12:50 PM - 29 July, 2010
+ 1

I'm only using flac and mp3 for all music and with 1000's of flacs in my library converting to aiff just for this cute little software makes no sense. Too much useless work and I don't have the disk space for both formats. mp3-320 is no option either, with degrading sound quality even if the audience won't here that most of the time and also juggle with two files for each track.
lunaros 4:16 AM - 9 October, 2010
+1 for FLAC

Serato will have signed a deal with Apple in order to use ALAC as the ALAC codec is owned by Apple. Apple wants to lock consumers into their world of closed platforms and closed codecs. Apple will have told Serato if they want to use ALAC they are not aloud to implement FLAC. They is why Serato have not said another word about FLAC since ALAC was implemented. (THEY ARE IN BED WITH APPLE)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 11:37 PM - 11 October, 2010
It would be a lovely world if Apple called us up and offered something like this, but alas, no, this was simply because ALAC was considerably easier and bug-free to implement.
6:00 AM, 26 Oct 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
pasik 6:07 AM - 26 October, 2010
This is very often asked and required feature. See the other thread for MANY comments/requests: www.serato.com . So I'm re-opening this request.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 11:23 PM - 26 October, 2010
This has been logged as a Feature Request. Cheers.