Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Rane SL1 device not starting

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
jake_s 2:46 PM - 10 January, 2010
Product: scratchlive
Version: 1.9.2
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: pc
OS Version: win7
---

Hello,
I recently got a Dell XPS studio 16- core i7, running win 7. I was able to get the 64 bit driver installed and listed under device properties. However the ! warning shows up in my device manager with "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" in the device dialogue window. I tested the unit on another computer with XP and it worked flawlessly.
Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thanks.
-Jake
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:51 AM - 11 January, 2010
Hi jake_s,

It seems that the driver is corrupted. I'd suggest un-installing the driver (right click on it and select "uninstall") and installing it again by doing the following:

1) Ensure Scratch Live is closed.
2) Connect the SL 1 to your computer.
3) Click the Windows Start button and go to All Programs -> Serato -> ScratchLIVE
4) In there you will see the Update Drivers program, click and run this.
5) The drivers for the SL 1 will now be installed.

Please let me know if this helps :)
jake_s 10:43 AM - 11 January, 2010
Hi Michael,
I tried this before as well with no luck. I've been having a lot of trouble with drivers and general compatibility on this computer(USB devices, bluetooth). I am going to try a clean reinstall of vista 64 instead of win 7 and see if there is any difference.
Do you have any other suggestions before I give this a go?
Thanks,
-Jacob
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:08 AM - 12 January, 2010
Hey Jacob,

The drivers are designed for Vista, so if you're going to install that they should work fine :) Please let me know how you get on!
jake_s 2:49 PM - 14 January, 2010
Hi Michael,
I think there may be compatibility issue with my hardware system specifically. I tried the same SL1 on a friend's AMD laptop running win 7 64bit - no problem there.
I then tried it on my Intel Core i7 laptop after installing vista 64 and it still didn't work.
I have the Dell XPS Studio 1645 - going to double check the chipset drivers and system bios are correct and up to date.
Thanks,
-Jacob
jake_s 12:16 AM - 15 January, 2010
Hi Michael,
Still no luck after updating the chipset drivers and a fresh OS install. Need to contact Dell about this....tacked on to the growing list of other issues with this laptop.
Let me know if you can think of anything else that may help.
Thanks,
-Jacob
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:00 AM - 15 January, 2010
Hey Jacob,

Thanks for the info. I have another user having the same problem, he has an Asus machine however it also has an I7 quad core processor. We're going to have to some testing on this type of machine and try and isolate what the problem is. Are you having other problems with this laptop also?
jake_s 10:03 AM - 15 January, 2010
Hi Michael,
Not any specific USB device problems. But there is a documented screen flickering issue with this build that a lot of users have complained about(seems to be a hardware problem). I am also having some problems with the bluetooth card as well.
I'd be willing to test things out on this machine if that would be of any help.
Thanks,
-Jacob
jake_s 1:52 AM - 16 January, 2010
I'm guessing that I can't access any midi controllers either without the SL1 properly connected in ScratchLive?
Thanks,
-Jacob
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:51 PM - 19 January, 2010
That's correct, you'll need the SL 1 connected to use MIDI controllers.

I'm afraid I don't have much help to offer at the moment. We're still trying to reproduce this issue so we can work towards fixing it.
jake_s 12:30 AM - 20 January, 2010
Hi Michael,
Thanks, do you know offhand if there have been people with the same motherboard/processor configuration who have gotten the SL1 drivers working properly? Also, do you know if it may work to hook up the SL1 via an express card usb port?....thought about maybe trying to do that and bypass the ports directly on the mainboard.
-Jacob
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:00 AM - 20 January, 2010
Not yet, it's only you and one other user having this problem so far. If you want to take a look at that thread you can find it here -> www.serato.com (click link).

Quote:
Also, do you know if it may work to hook up the SL1 via an express card usb port?....thought about maybe trying to do that and bypass the ports directly on the mainboard.

No I don't know if that would work but if you're going to try it out please let me know how it goes :)
sharky69 7:20 AM - 25 January, 2010
hi, I have an Intel i5 M430 running on Win7 and i have the same problem with the driver
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:26 AM - 27 January, 2010
Hey sharky69,

Have tried using your SL 1 on all your USB ports? Do you get the same error on all of them?
jake_s 8:41 AM - 5 February, 2010
Hello,
Okay so my laptop was out of service for a couple weeks with a bad screen. Dell came and replaced it. Shortly after I decided to test the SL1 once again - and lo and behold it worked! I noticed, however, that my bluetooth card(Dell mini 370) was not working and had the same driver error number that the SL1 previously had. I reinstalled the bluetooth drivers and then the SL1 reverted to it's previous error state! I disabled the bluetooth and restarted - SL1 still not working. Uninstalled the bluetooth interface - still no luck. So then I tried the new usb laptop express card that I bought - that works! Whether my bluetooth device is enabled, disabled, uninstalled or functioning properly - the express card does the trick.
Unfortunately, I can't seem of get my laptop back to the previous state of non-functioning bluetooth interface and functional SL-1. But it seems it's something with the bluetooth drivers and the onboard usb ports that's causing issues. If you can somehow bypass those ports with an offboard usb, then your SL1 should work.
-Jacob
iDashX 7:04 AM - 11 February, 2010
I have an HP laptop Core i7/6GB RAM. I have win7 ultimate 64bit running on it. I have a similar problem that jake_s has. Win7=sl1 no good. WinVista=sl1 good. WinXP=sl1 good. I tried using an pc express USB to make it work, still no good. I'm a computer techie and looking at jake_s' post above about the bluetooth and onboard usbs. BT is going a seperate unit and not controlled by the same chipset as the onboard usbs. Your BT on your laptop should be on the same removable wifi card. I know dell has some tricky stuff to making their equipment work so it might have to do with that. But I do want to know which brand/model PC express USB card you are using
DeejayRanj 9:08 AM - 11 February, 2010
Hey im about to buy a hp with intel i7 (quad core) is there any issues with that processor? i know theres issues with amd but im gena order this online so i cant really return it if it doesnt work.
jake_s 8:35 PM - 11 February, 2010
Hi iDashX,
I'm not sure what Dell is doing, and unfortunately I'm not much of a tech. So it's pretty much trial and error for me at this point.
I have found a solution that works for my specific case...hopefully it can help others as well.
On my XPS1645 there is a button/function that turns off all wireless(wifi and bluetooth) - this allows me to use my SL1 without a problem on the onboard usb ports. Interestingly enough, it is not enough to just turn off my bluetooth adapter via the software UI, I have to use the hardware interface on my laptop. However, if my wifi or bluetooth is on, then the only way my SL1 works is with my expresscard usb(Make: Best Connectivity 2port usb expresscard - 34mm...you don't need the external power either).
I hope this helps.
-Jake
iDashX 6:10 AM - 12 February, 2010
[PROBLEM SOLVED]
So i tried disabling the wireless through DEVICE MANAGER under NETWORK ADAPTERS disable the wireless card. After that, plug in the RANE SL1(using vista64 drivers) and it works fine, no static. Re-enabled the wireless card and connected to the wireless and continue to use Scratch Live, and notices a little humming noise in the background of the audio. So BEFORE you plug in your SL1, you MUST DISABLE the wifi card through device manager then plug it in and it works fine. Serato does recommend turning off your wireless card when spinning so I guess this would fix the issue.

I believe that this is more of a Win7 then any hardware issue with I7 CPU because with my dual-boot to WinVista, the SL1 works perfectly fine without disabling the wifi card.

Specs of comp:
HP Pavilion dv7-3085dx/Intel Core i7/6GB RAM/Intel Wifi Link 5100 AGN
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:29 PM - 28 February, 2010
Hey iDashX,

I'm glad to hear you resolved your issue :) Can you please tell me - were you having the same Driver error (code 10) issue that jake_s was having or was your issue something different?
DJ Frayz 11:31 PM - 3 March, 2010
FYI, I also am experiencing the Code 10 issue on my new Gateway laptop. i3, Model nv7915u, Windows 7 x64. I've uninstalled all USB devices, rebooted, removed all references to Serato on disk and in the registry, disabled wireless, Updated drivers via Start...Programs...Serato, and nothing.

I hope this will be resolved ASAP.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:32 AM - 4 March, 2010
Hey everyone,

For those of you that are having the "error (code 10)" issue, are you able to go to your laptop manufacturers website and see if there is a BIOS update available? We've had reports of this solving this issue, so I'm keen to hear if it works for you all :)
Bloggy 3:47 PM - 5 March, 2010
I also have a Dell Studio XPS 16 (1645) core i7 and have the same problem as jake_s. However I did get serato working by disabling the wifi/bluetooth. I have updated to the latest BIOS (A07) but still have the same problems. Also once I had serato working I plugged in a mouse to a different USB port, the mouse didnt work. An odd one.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 11:49 PM - 8 March, 2010
Hi Bloggy,

Glad to hear you go it working, it's a good idea to always have your bluetooth and wireless devices disabled when using Scratch Live.

Quote:
Also once I had serato working I plugged in a mouse to a different USB port, the mouse didnt work. An odd one.

An odd one indeed! It would be a great idea to raise this issue with Dell, as you're not the only person reporting this. The more people who speak up, the more need there will be for them to make a fix :)
Bloggy 10:13 AM - 9 March, 2010
Michael R

I will definately raise the issue to Dell and see what they say. However just to add a little more detail;

If I plug the mouse in first and the SL1 second the mouse will work and but the SL1 wont (code 10). (Regardless of wireless/bluetooth is on or off)
If I plug in the SL1 box first and the mouse second the SL1 will work (Providing that the wireless/bluetooth is disabled) but the mouse wont.
I have been able to plug in several USB devices at the same time, i.e. a USB flash drive and mouse when not using SSL with the SL1

I have been spending a little more time looking at this issue trying to find a way of using a mouse as using the touchpad can get a little frustrating when in a rush trying to select tracks. After I have got SSL working with the SL1 I am able to re-enable the wireless/bluetooth and connect my Logitech bluetooth mouse. The mouse then works with SSL with no problems. I haven't experienced any drop outs, crashes or static yet with this configuration. I do understand that people don't want to spend out on a Bluetooth mouse. I was lucky that I had one in my drawer which i had replaced with a gaming mouse.

I will see what Dell have to say and then post their comments here for others to read.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 10:58 PM - 10 March, 2010
Hmm so it sounds like some sort of issue with USB connection then, seeing as removal of the mouse makes it work, but you can still use a wireless mouse.

Also if you're interested, another similar issue can be found here ->> reviews.cnet.com

Obviously you're using a Dell, but the HP also have the new i5 chipsets...
David aka "theSAINT" 5:47 PM - 30 March, 2010
Hi there everyone aspecially the team at Serato .... (respect for a awsom product)

I my Alienware M15x arrived 2 weeks ago.
Specs : Core i7, 4Gb Ramm, 1Gb display, Bluetooth, WLAN, SDcard reader etc etc etc.

After loading various programs like Photoshop etc i finally got arround to loading Serato for my SL1. (i did wanna load it first)
To start off, when i plugged in my SL1 it showed the " /!\ " and a (if i remember correct "Code 53" error (basiclly regarding the drivers certif).

I read the forums and tried various things from the forums and some of my own. (im in IT), i even went asfar as running an app that sets your OS in "TEST Mode" for software testing and applied the "TEST" certif. All with no luck.

I then carried on loading programs on my machine and thought ill keep checking the forums.

Later i tried again to reload Serato SL1. THIS TIME it came up with a "Code 10" error (ref to "the usb device needing power" i tried it with and with out power and then tried various others but again with no luck.

So i loaded 3 more programs, BUT they were older prog. (S. i tried the disable bluetooth, mouse and usb's etc)
++++ THEN I TRIED AGAIN ++++
and can you believe it ...... it loaded the RaneSL1 driver without having to unplug the usb mouse or disable ANY devices.

NOW BQS OF EVERYTHING THAT IVE DONE TO TRY AND RESOLVE THE PROBLEM and HOW IT STARTED WORKING LEADS ME TO THINK CHANCES ARE PRETTY GOOD THAT ITS NOT A PROBLEM WITH ALL THE OTHER HARDWARE DRIVERS AS EVERYONE KEEPS SAYING (disable this and unplug that....) TO ME ITS A SL1 DRIVER PROBLEM THAT HAPPENED TO START WORKING AFTER I INSTALL A OLDER PROGRAM THAT JUST HAPPENED TO LOAD WHAT MY SL1 DRIVER NEEDED eg. older java, .net 1 or .net2 etc

Please note that im not saying everyone must now run off and install the oldest program of "whatever" they can find and it will work, this happended to work for me, for now.... and im not saying the problem is fixed bqs to me the problem is only fixed if i can reformat and reinstall my machine AND at base install load Serato SL1 with hassels, bugs or tweaks needed. Im only trying to help by pointing into a dicection that i think the team at Serato / Rane needs to checkout.

Regards
DJ - David aka "theSAINT"
WP 1:06 PM - 15 May, 2010
Im havng the same problem with the SL1 and SL1, I7 windows 7
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:22 AM - 18 May, 2010
Hey WP,

What are the specs of your computer? Have you checked if there is a BIOS update available for it?
David aka "theSAINT" 6:42 PM - 18 May, 2010
Hi There Michael

I know u asked WP the question but id like to give you my spec 2

NEW - Alienware M15x
BIOS is up to date
Core i7, 4Gb Ramm, 1Gb display, Bluetooth, WLAN, SDcard reader etc

If you read the post before WP ull see the work around that a found.

And i have found another.

Install the software as "Administrator" and run the program in Compatipility Mode on Windows 7.
as [Windows XP SP3]

that work aswell.

Regards
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:45 AM - 19 May, 2010
Thanks for the info David, I was after WPs specs to see if he was using an i series processor :)
an-D 6:42 PM - 12 June, 2010
Copy/paste of my post from another similair thread..

+1 to having the same driver issue.. 'The device cannot be started'

Laptop Specs:
Dell Latitude E6410
Intel i7 M620 @2.67Ghz
4gb Ram
Win7 Ultimate N 32 Bit
All the latest drivers from Dell site

I've tried deleting the driver and then manually installing the Win7 32bit driver which didn't work.
Then tried with the Vista 32bit driver, didn't work either.
Also tried the above suggestion using the batch file. didn't work.

My old laptop was a Latitude E6500 w/ Core 2 Duo and ran Scratch Live 2.0 fine, without a drama :(

Intel i series chipset issue?
an-D 8:51 AM - 13 June, 2010
So I manged to get windows to recognise the serato box, so I jammed for about 2hrs & didn't have any dramas.

What I did.
- Open Device Manager
- Connect SL1 - Serato USB Device appears with error 10
- Disable the 'USB Enhanced Host Controller' which SL1 is connected to.
- Disconnect SL1
- Re enable the USB Enhanced Host Controller
- Connect SL1
And it works again! (for me anyway)

on a side note: it seems that I have to do this each time I reboot.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:54 AM - 17 June, 2010
Hey an-D,

It's good to hear that you have a workaround. I wonder what is happening when you re-enable the USB Enhanced Host Controller that makes it work correctly?
Dub D 10:39 PM - 24 July, 2010
Throwing in two cents here because I have a Studio XPS 16 like the original poster (core i7), and I was able to solve the issue by disabling my webcam.

The webcam on these laptops is listed in the device manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers as a USB Composite Device.

Hope that helps someone.
Dub D 2:45 AM - 25 July, 2010
Oh also, forgot to add.... I later tried again only disabling the webcam and didn't work. I realized that when I had it working I had also disabled all wireless devices (bluetooth, wifi, wimax) via the hardware switch.

So to sum up, on my Dell Studio XPS 16, disabling the webcam+all wireless devices via hardware switch, allowed me to recognize and start the SL1.
DJ.Tyme 5:39 AM - 25 July, 2010
trust me i did that also turned off webcam & wireless still no hope im selling my sl1 which is 1.1 usb & buying the sl3 which is 2.0 usb newer technology as u see we are already on usb 3.0 ?
Dub D 6:02 AM - 25 July, 2010
I totally agree with you, and I would definitely do that if I could afford to. I am just hoping that Dell will be able to fix this in BIOS, or that an inexpensive USB Hub will solve the issue. Besides that though, I am just glad I was able to find a work around, and hope it continues to work. Sorry it didn't work for you @DJ.Tyme.
Dub D 6:03 AM - 25 July, 2010
Quote:
So I manged to get windows to recognise the serato box, so I jammed for about 2hrs & didn't have any dramas.

What I did.
- Open Device Manager
- Connect SL1 - Serato USB Device appears with error 10
- Disable the 'USB Enhanced Host Controller' which SL1 is connected to.
- Disconnect SL1
- Re enable the USB Enhanced Host Controller
- Connect SL1
And it works again! (for me anyway)

on a side note: it seems that I have to do this each time I reboot.

I might try this, as it would be better to not have to disable the wireless if at all possible.
DJ.Tyme 6:13 AM - 25 July, 2010
ohhh my sl1 works with a powered usb hub but its jus more crap & more wires i got already stuffed in my coffin :-(
Matt H 12:37 AM - 7 September, 2010
Having an absolute nightmare with this one myself.

I'm on a Dell 1749 i3 Win7x64. Worked fine on a Dell 1745 Pentium Duo and a HP 6715b AMD and only having grief now with this newest lapper.

USB host:
Intel(R) 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 3B34

If I plug in SL-1 first, then it works fine, great. However, when I plug in my Novation Launchpad second, it appears in Dev Manager, no yellow excl but it does not respond.

If I plug in Novation first, that is fine and then that works OK in Ableton etc. Then if I plug in SL-1, it does not work and Code 10 appears.

I have:
- reformatted
- updated BIOS
- flipped various USB BIOS settings on and off one by one
- tried hardware switching off the radios
- tried the disabling the USB host workaround described elsewhere in this thread
- tried rolling back the Intel USB drivers to bog standard M$ ones
...and STILL nothing.

It's driving me insane and I've wasted so much time on this. I'm not sure where the fault lies. Maybe it's a certain Intel chipset? Maybe it's with Dell?

INCIDENTALLY:
With the Launchpad plugged in by itself, when operating Ableton Live I also experience the following "slowness" as noted by these users which never happened before either:

www.novation-launchpad.com

Is that any further help?
DJ.Tyme 3:09 AM - 7 September, 2010
just get an (powered) usb hub the SL1 is old usb 1.0 / core i3,i5,i7 wont let you plug in more than one usb item @ a time. if they are all usb 2.0 its cool but (rane sl1 is usb 1.0) its only a problem with the new intel core i3,i5,i7 so all in all just buy a powered usb hub i plug my sl1 into my laptop & then plug other things into the usb hub
Matt H 5:06 PM - 7 September, 2010
Quote:
just get an (powered) usb hub

OMG if this reason and solution then annoying as it is then at least there's a workaround... I will report back ASAP.
Matt H 1:04 PM - 17 September, 2010
Well bugger me. The powered USB hub worked a treat. THANKS @Tyme!!

Here's the one I got (UK).
www.scan.co.uk

This one seems very decent quality for the price and I hope it does a good job of supplying the right power to the devices as these things can get pretty sensitive, I don't want a big bang in the middle of a set...

Incidentally I have the SL-1 plugged into the hub and the Novation Launchpad directly connected. I figure this way I'll have full power to the SL-1 for the thrus even with restarting the laptop, should the worst happen.
DJ.Tyme 3:38 PM - 17 September, 2010
your welcome always very happy to help out a fellow DJ :-)
DJ Lee 7:32 AM - 24 September, 2010
FYI- I have an I5 and tried a Powered USB hub and it did NOT solve the problem.
I ended up sucking it up and paying to upgrade both of my boxes to SL3.
BOOOOO on Serato for this....
an-D 5:29 AM - 11 October, 2010
Quote:
FYI- I have an I5 and tried a Powered USB hub and it did NOT solve the problem.
I ended up sucking it up and paying to upgrade both of my boxes to SL3.
BOOOOO on Serato for this....

Thats not all that bad, i ended up buying a macbook pro..haha dont regret it now though :D
djnovice.ch 8:17 PM - 21 October, 2010
Matt H
hey. i just had the Same Setup. Strange was, that my LPD8 was working with SL1!!

Anyway, i try to get this things now working with a powered usb device. Hopefully....
I hope afterwards, there is no Problem with audio dropouts when im using the bridge etc..
Z cakes 6:12 AM - 11 January, 2011
Quote:
Hi Michael,
I think there may be compatibility issue with my hardware system specifically. I tried the same SL1 on a friend's AMD laptop running win 7 64bit - no problem there.
I then tried it on my Intel Core i7 laptop after installing vista 64 and it still didn't work.
I have the Dell XPS Studio 1645 - going to double check the chipset drivers and system bios are correct and up to date.
Thanks,
-Jacob

Its seems like majority of the people have a problem with i3, 15, and 17 processors. I have the same problem with my i5 desktop. Do you think SL1 will work if I exchange my PC to an PC with an AMD processor? I still have 3 weeks to exchange by tower. I need to DJ at home!!!

Please help.

Thanks.
Matt H 1:27 AM - 13 January, 2011
Let's see if v2.2 which is just out now has fixed this...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:00 AM - 25 January, 2011
Hey Z cakes,

Quote:
Do you think SL1 will work if I exchange my PC to an PC with an AMD processor?

We don't recommend running Scratch Live on a machine with an AMD processor, see here -> www.serato.com (click link).
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:01 AM - 25 January, 2011
Hey Matt H,

Quote:
Let's see if v2.2 which is just out now has fixed this...

2.2 does contain a workaround for this issue for some machines, try it out and see how you go!
2:00 AM, 8 Feb 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.