DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

CDJ2000 and CDJ900 support update

Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 7:29 PM - 24 December, 2009
Serato, with cooperation of Pioneer, is dedicated to delivering the
best possible user experience for DJs who use Scratch Live with
the CDJ-2000 or CDJ-900. Due to some technical limitations that came to
light during testing of the CDJ2000, we have rescheduled release of
official support. CDJ900 support will be in included in Scratch Live
in Q2 2010. We will issue a date for a CDJ2000 firmware update and
support in Scratch Live as soon as possible.
Gor 8:53 PM - 24 December, 2009
good stuff :)
DJ Jonasty 5:58 AM - 25 December, 2009
So the CDJ 2000 native support could arrive sometime after June? Damn, I was thinking it would come in January and I already thought that was a long time. Kind of disappointed that they were advertised as working natively with SSL. Advertised by Pioneer, not Serato. Will they work "unofficially" natively?
Millz 2:33 PM - 25 December, 2009
Jon,

CDJ 2000 support will be here SOON. It is the CDJ 900 support that will be in quarter 2. Save yourself a headache and get the 2000s. I have 2 CDJ 2000s and a 900, and imo the 900 is looser than the 800mk2. It takes 3x as long for tracks to load (even control signals). Unless Pioneer does a firmware upgrade on this 900 soon, Im going to sell it and get a 3rd 2000. If you guys have any other questions about the 2000 or 900, hit me up.
DJ Jonasty 2:56 PM - 25 December, 2009
I've got 2 2000's, well one is on return because it was cracked. I'd be happy to keep them if Native Support rolls around soon. I got the impression from Sam's statement that it would be a lot later. But you reckon soon, yeah? You may of just made my day Millz, thanks. Oh Merry Christmas btw.
Millz 2:59 PM - 25 December, 2009
I was just about to put my 900 up on ebay and the power went out here...crazy haha
BriChi 3:46 PM - 25 December, 2009
LOL,,, it's a sign!!! The 900 wants to stay

I agree with ya Millz, sell the 900 and get another 2000, they are such nicer decks
darrenad 4:50 PM - 25 December, 2009
Quote:
So the CDJ 2000 native support could arrive sometime after June? Damn, I was thinking it would come in January and I already thought that was a long time. Kind of disappointed that they were advertised as working natively with SSL. Advertised by Pioneer, not Serato. Will they work "unofficially" natively?

Native support meaning "controlling SERATO without the control box" or will it still be necessary........Sorry if its a dumb question but I really need some clarification on this.
I saw advertisement but people say that is impossible.
VJ Justin Allen 4:54 PM - 25 December, 2009
Currently all versions of ScratchLive MUST have a control box or Rane mixer in order to be used.

When companies like Pioneer say "natively controlled" they mean you do not have to use the control record/cd. For instance, using the Pioneer CDJ-400's you do not need the CD that contains the timecode tone on it in order to use it. But you still need the SL1, SL3 or Rane mixer for ScratchLive to work.

Hope this clears it up for you.
Millz 5:38 PM - 25 December, 2009
darren,

you will still have to connect the sl box regardless, but to my understanding, you will be able to choose between the internal sound card of the new cdjs or continue using the sl boxes as soundcards...

I will say that I believe that the soundcards in the cdjs are better, but that is a logical guess from reading about both on the net.
DJ Jonasty 5:53 PM - 25 December, 2009
The outputs on the 2000's are so hot. I only have the gain on the djm 800 at about 3 oclock and I'm almost in the yellow. The native support on the cdj 400 is awesome, but the jog wheel is too small for any decent cuts. The 2000 cuts like a superstar. Man, I almost got the 900's but threw down for the 2k's, it sounds like a good call.
djtate 8:42 PM - 25 December, 2009
Millz if thats the case, do you think they will be able to this with the 400s?
VJ Justin Allen 3:02 AM - 26 December, 2009
No. The 400's are 100% different than the 900's & 2000's. Pioneer has already said that there will be zero chance of the 400's working with RekordBox or the new system.
DJ Jonasty 3:33 PM - 26 December, 2009
At least all my files play on my CDJ 400's, I haven't gotten any errors with them. I've gotten some 8203 errors on the 2ks on a few tracks.
BriChi 3:48 PM - 26 December, 2009
Quote:
At least all my files play on my CDJ 400's, I haven't gotten any errors with them. I've gotten some 8203 errors on the 2ks on a few tracks.

This is being worked on for the next FW update from what I hear. One of the reasons behind this error is blank spaces in a field that contains no info. For example, I had a song with a blank artist field but for some reason it has 10 blank spaces (Characters) in it so I was getting the error, Once I wiped the artist field clear, it worked great
DJ Jonasty 9:50 PM - 26 December, 2009
I'm still loving the CDJ 2K. Definitely worth the purchase! Now they are only $359 more than a tech M5G. A bargain!!!
Millz 4:41 AM - 28 December, 2009
dont get the 900...its super balled up...poor perfomance...i dont wanna dog pioneer so im just keepin my mouth shut until the firmware update thats due out soon.
DJ GMC 3:58 PM - 28 December, 2009
The firmware update won't affect the tension of the platter - it should replicate the 12 o'clock feel of the CDJ1000MK3. I honestly found it fine.

Those awesome new outputs on the CDJ2000 are thanks to the new Wolfson DACs.

Unfortunately, there is no way the 400s can work with Rekordbox as the hardware was designed for the 400 before the concept of RB was ever developed.

Serato requires their SL box to run so native mode or not the box will be required.
Millz 4:24 PM - 28 December, 2009
im not talking about the tension of the platter gmc, i am talking about the actual sound of the scratch, it is sloppy compared to the 800mk2/1000mk3/2000. on top of that, there is a delay/lag when scratching with the 900 (with or without the use of serato). and on top of that, there is a 6-10 second delay on track searching (with a normal cd or serato control cd). the 900's performance is sub par, and these issues need to be addressed.
DJ GMC 4:30 PM - 28 December, 2009
Cool, I'll take these points and report back.

Thanks Jack
djtate 4:50 PM - 28 December, 2009
i wasnt talking about the recordbox integration, i was talking about utilizing the sound card built in the 400s.
VJ Justin Allen 12:11 AM - 29 December, 2009
Just a note, Pioneer is starting to delete negative comments in regards to the 900 / 2000's now. It's a shame.
DJ GMC 12:15 AM - 29 December, 2009
Deleting comments would be absolutely pointless and detrimental to the whole process of using forums to address issues from customers.

The topics have been moved to the Engineers forum to be addressed by them and resolved as soon as possible.
RogerRabbit 12:22 AM - 29 December, 2009
Quote:
Just a note, Pioneer is starting to delete negative comments in regards to the 900 / 2000's now. It's a shame.

Pioneer have deleting comments for years, by now it should be expected from their site...
Millz 12:28 AM - 29 December, 2009
gmc, I believe you are a cool dude, but over here in Serato's forums, we "kinda" dont believe all the bull shit. With that said, the rules over here are much more relaxed, and quite often there are many important everyday people who voice their opinions, post test results and positive/negative personal feedbacks. Id much rather ask you a question over Pulse, because his online ego is out of this world.
DJ GMC 12:39 AM - 29 December, 2009
I am not jumping to defend deleting comments or posts - quite simply the Engineers do not read any other part of the forum - only the specific section set aside for them. Quite often we will personally email the user and try to get more detailed information so we can log with Japan. BriChi will testify to this - both Pulse and I emailed him on an issue he had.

Despite all the testing we do prior to release, we'll never catch everything hence the forum comments and feedback.

I do appreciate your feedback and would wish to build on user rapport.
CAW 1:02 AM - 29 December, 2009
@DJ GMC:

You work for Pio then? Or just one of the moderators over on their forums?

One of the biggest mistakes I think Pio is making with the 2000/900 is restricting rekordbox to owners of the hardware. They should be pushing reckordbox like it is better than sex. You want people preparing their USB sticks at home, even if they don't own the hardware themselves, as that will in turn get them to pressure the clubs to upgrade their 1000s to 2000s.

As it is right now, the target market that would most likely take on the advanced features of the CDJ2000 are the people who have already moved on to Serato (or other computer-based mixing systems). You need to be doing everything in your power to woo them away from their laptops if you want CDJs to still be relevant in a few years time. That also includes supporting full import from other databases (e.g., Serato). Even if rekordbox was freely available, the idea of re-creating all my cue and loop points for all my music is a major turnoff...
BriChi 1:49 AM - 29 December, 2009
Quote:
BriChi will testify to this - both Pulse and I emailed him on an issue he had.

Yes I can, I have gotten emails and been in touch with them daily working out some issues the 2000 and RB have, They have been listening to the issues and suggestions I have for the deck and assure me they are sending the info to the engineers to see what can be done. So far the support from Pio has been great on my end, Can't complain
Millz 3:19 AM - 29 December, 2009
caw, give it a week or so and you might get your wish.
WarpNote 6:42 AM - 29 December, 2009
Quote:
One of the biggest mistakes I think Pio is making with the 2000/900 is restricting rekordbox to owners of the hardware. They should be pushing reckordbox like it is better than sex. You want people preparing their USB sticks at home, even if they don't own the hardware themselves, as that will in turn get them to pressure the clubs to upgrade their 1000s to 2000s.

I totally agree. And I believe the will do this. It only makes sense. I'm guessing the reason they're holding back, is that RekordBox ain't ready "for prime time" yet...

Lot's of reports about tracks getting corrupted by RekordBox. For now, showing up to a club with a usb prepared by RekordBox and not testet in a 900/2000 player would seem as a game of Russian roulette?
WarpNote 6:44 AM - 29 December, 2009
"And I believe the will do this" = And I believe they will do this
djdragon 6:48 AM - 29 December, 2009
Quote:
They should be pushing reckordbox like it is better than sex. You want people preparing their USB sticks at home, even if they don't own the hardware themselves.

Exact-a-fucking-mundo.
DJ GMC 12:31 AM - 30 December, 2009
I don't want to turn this into a topic of why Pioneer is or is not god almighty. With respect to Serato I don't think its fair to be clogging up their forum with such an argument.

My first post in this thread was to be helpful as I use the Serato forums very regularly and thought I could share some light. I was objective in my post.

I will take all the points you make and pass them ideas along.
Millz 12:34 AM - 30 December, 2009
next week :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 12:01 AM - 9 January, 2010
Hi guys,
I'd just like to clarify that the statement at the start of this thread is still true. We're working on a solution with Pioneer, but we don't have any news at this point. Contrary to what some users are claiming in this thread, this unfortunately means that it is not just around the corner.

Scratch Live passes audio through the Rane hardware interface. While the CDJ900 and CDJ2000 do have great audio interfaces, we choose to use the Rane audio interface because of the fantastic performance this affords us.
djdragon 12:23 AM - 9 January, 2010
Quote:
Hi guys,
I'd just like to clarify that the statement at the start of this thread is still true. We're working on a solution with Pioneer, but we don't have any news at this point. Contrary to what some users are claiming in this thread, this unfortunately means that it is not just around the corner.

Scratch Live passes audio through the Rane hardware interface. While the CDJ900 and CDJ2000 do have great audio interfaces, we choose to use the Rane audio interface because of the fantastic performance this affords us.

Quote:
Translation:

Umm yea. So Pioneer wants our code and Authentication chip for free and doesn't wanna play ball or can't afford our terms. Which is fine because we have a viable business model and kick ass hardware and software.

So um, yea. We rock they suck.

Gee Sam why didn't you just say so LOL
BriChi 2:42 AM - 9 January, 2010
I don't know much about what is going on between Pio and Serato but why can't they just allow any players soundcard to be used with serato and leave the SL box as the dongle, so u still HAVE to have the box plugged in as authentication but you can route the audio out through the players which have a better sound quality (on paper)
CAW 2:46 AM - 9 January, 2010
@BriChi: It's a support issue. With requiring the Rane hardware, Serato has four (at this time) devices to test to ensure audio output is working properly and with minimal latency. If they let you use any arbitrary soundcard, this opens them up to havng to support problems/incompatibilities with other vendors soundcards.

Personally, I think it's a lame excuse. I've posted myself asking for an option to specify the master (or a "record out" mirror of the master) audio device in ITCH. But I get where they are coming from with the support argument.
BriChi 2:52 AM - 9 January, 2010
Gotcha, Thx for info CAW
djdragon 3:11 AM - 9 January, 2010
Quote:
I don't know much about what is going on between Pio and Serato but why can't they just allow any players soundcard to be used with serato and leave the SL box as the dongle, so u still HAVE to have the box plugged in as authentication but you can route the audio out through the players which have a better sound quality (on paper)

Did you not see the translation above?

In essence if it's a hassle and if it opens up the possibility of Serato's intellectual property being abused. Then why support it? I'm sure Serato will be and do just fine without Pioneer. It's seems like Pioneer needs them more.
BriChi 3:27 AM - 9 January, 2010
yeah, but since you don't work for them, We took your translation lightly :)
BriChi 3:31 AM - 9 January, 2010
plus, I don't think either company needs the other to succeed, they are both doing just fine right now.

I just hear talk of people laying off Serato and doing 1 of 2 things because of the new cdj's

1. Use just the cdj's with a hard drive plugged in and leave the laptop at home
2. Use a program like Traktor which doesn't require any box now that the 2000's are native to the software

Me personally, I will most likely always use Serato do to convenience of browsing and searching so quickly but the 2000's are a nice addition to my rig and i'm looking forward to the native support in the future
djdragon 3:45 AM - 9 January, 2010
Quote:
yeah, but since you don't work for them, We took your translation lightly :)

But it's the truth. No matter how you slice it. It's the tech industry, that's how it goes.

Quote:
plus, I don't think either company needs the other to succeed, they are both doing just fine right now.

I just hear talk of people laying off Serato and doing 1 of 2 things because of the new cdj's

1. Use just the cdj's with a hard drive plugged in and leave the laptop at home
2. Use a program like Traktor which doesn't require any box now that the 2000's are native to the software

Me personally, I will most likely always use Serato do to convenience of browsing and searching so quickly but the 2000's are a nice addition to my rig and i'm looking forward to the native support in the future

I feel that Pioneer did nothing for innovation. IMHO

On the flip side NAMM will be a very interesting time I assume for Serato/Abelton.
CAW 6:34 AM - 9 January, 2010
So, for all of you bellyaching about wanting to use the "superior" CDJ-2000 outputs instead of your Rane hardware: have you actually hooked up a CDJ-2000 to your computer and looked at how it enumerates?

My CDJ-2000 with v2.0.2 firmware: USB 1.1 device, *16 bit*, selectable between 44.1k and 48k sampling rates. (As reported by the Audio/MIDI config tool in Snow Leopard.)

So while the CDJ-2000 may have a nice DAC, you can't make full use of it over USB.
djdragon 6:50 AM - 9 January, 2010
Quote:
My CDJ-2000 with v2.0.2 firmware: USB 1.1 device, *16 bit*, selectable between 44.1k and 48k sampling rates. (As reported by the Audio/MIDI config tool in Snow Leopard.)

So while the CDJ-2000 may have a nice DAC, you can't make full use of it over USB.

I'm sorry, did you just say the CDj-2000 is a USB 1.1 device?
Ah good old off the shelf parts. I hope that sound card inside isn't a Soundblaster AWE32
LOL
CAW 7:29 AM - 9 January, 2010
Yes, it is a USB 1.1 device. Thus, for people looking to connect multiple units to a computer using a USB hub (e.g., for those rocking 4 decks), it will be very important to get a USB hub with a multi transaction translator design. This is usually only found in more expensive USB hubs.
djdragon 7:43 AM - 9 January, 2010
Quote:
Yes, it is a USB 1.1 device. Thus, for people looking to connect multiple units to a computer using a USB hub (e.g., for those rocking 4 decks), it will be very important to get a USB hub with a multi transaction translator design. This is usually only found in more expensive USB hubs.

So does this mean the Pioneer USBDJHUB-2000 is coming also? LOL

Said it once I'll say it again. www.scratchlive.net

Quote:
much like their first attempt with DMP-555.
So much promise, so little support and forethought.
CAW 7:46 AM - 9 January, 2010
And, for the record, USB 1.1 is plenty fast enough for a two channel audio device.

What annoys me is that the CDJ-2000 is using a 16bit word size over USB. Especially since all the promo material from Pioneer states that it is a "24 bit/48k USB soundcard".

Not that I need to use the CDJs as my soundcards, anyway. I go straight to the soundcard in my mixer.
DJ Matty G 2:35 AM - 10 February, 2010
I'm not going to buy CDJ-900's or CDJ-2000's until native support is available for serato. Until it is, I'll just stick to my 800's.
DJ Matty G 7:06 AM - 10 February, 2010
Guys, I've just decided, I'm not going to buy the CDJ's at all here's where it's at!
www.reloopdj.com
Reloop RMP3 same as pioneer cdj-900 except for the price!
BriChi 6:14 PM - 10 February, 2010
MattyG, Let us know how you make out with that thing, I am sure it is not the quality or reliability a Pioneer is but you never know.

Thats almost the same as saying,
Gemini turntable TT02 same as Technic 1200 except for the price! :)
Millz 6:21 PM - 10 February, 2010
ow
DJ Matty G 7:17 PM - 10 February, 2010
Quote:
MattyG, Let us know how you make out with that thing

Yeah will do, ordered a pair today. Should get them on Fri. I asked the guy at Sapphires (decks.co.uk) that if I wasn't happy with them could I change to a cdj-900 or 2000 just as a full value part ex and they agreed so it's a win-win situation!
Millz 7:19 PM - 10 February, 2010
better get that in writing.
BriChi 8:31 PM - 10 February, 2010
cool, the other problem I see for ya is the cheaper deck you bought will most likely never get native support for Serato being that it is not that popular, Just keep that in mind too since that was the original reason you were holding out for the 900/2000
Millz 8:35 PM - 10 February, 2010
good point brian.
BriChi 8:36 PM - 10 February, 2010
thx :)
DJ Matty G 3:49 AM - 11 February, 2010
Yeah I knew that they may not get native support but I was holding out for native support with the denon turntables which never happened, so I'm not going to hold my breath. Not only that, the RMP3 decks can alter pitch by increments of 0.02% which basically means more accurate mixes than with a CDJ.
Really can't wait to get them now!
DJ Matty G 6:27 PM - 15 February, 2010
This reloop RMP3 is perfect!
It comes with the traktor software which is better than the Serato software. It's also fully supported natively. You can use your serato box as an output soundcard if you wish OR you can buy a cheaper, BETTER soundcard from M-Audio.

Anybody want to buy a second hand SL-1 let me know.
djdragon 12:54 AM - 16 February, 2010
Quote:
This reloop RMP3 is perfect!
It comes with the traktor software which is better than the Serato software.

Oh look there's the door, don't let hit ya' on the way out LOL
Millz 12:59 AM - 16 February, 2010
och aye
DJ Matty G 3:21 PM - 16 February, 2010
Quote:

You can carry on waiting for something that isn't going to happen or you can do what I did and show that you're not afraid to turn your back on the people who are too greedy to work with other companies to provide a better experience for the customer.
Don't have a huff and puff dragon, it's just common sense.
westell54 3:29 PM - 16 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

You can carry on waiting for something that isn't going to happen or you can do what I did and show that you're not afraid to turn your back on the people who are too greedy to work with other companies to provide a better experience for the customer.

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, I agree with you all the way. On another forum, there are some product reps promoting some other weak DVS programs to take the attention away from all the requests to get native support for their units in ScratchLive.
Millz 3:46 PM - 16 February, 2010
The bottom line fellas is this, Rane/Serato just dropped the djm 800 destroyer...the 68. On top of that, they are releasing 2.0 and 1.2 AND working on making the Ableton Bridge flawless. Then we all know how buggy the CDJ 2000 is/was. Yes Pioneer has already released 2 firmware updates in the past 3 months, but was it enough to fix whatever issue that was slowing the process of HID support for the 2000s/900? Who knows. Any one of these could delay the HID support. On another note, I hope you are talking about the Pioneer guys Matty G, because in my 20 years of being in this business, the guys/gals of Serato/Rane have given me better tech support than ALL the other companies COMBINED.
BriChi 6:24 PM - 16 February, 2010
Quote:
because in my 20 years of being in this business, the guys/gals of Serato/Rane have given me better tech support than ALL the other companies COMBINED.

agree 100%
farrell 1:24 AM - 17 February, 2010
Agreed 10000000000000000000000000000000000000%
DJ Matty G 10:23 PM - 17 February, 2010
Quote:
On another note, I hope you are talking about the Pioneer guys Matty G.

Yeah I am, I bought the Reloop RMP3's.
djdragon 6:52 AM - 18 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Blow it out of alimentary canal.

I don't do CDJ's, and CDJ's with Serato are not a better experience.
Quote:
Quote:
because in my 20 years of being in this business, the guys/gals of Serato/Rane have given me better tech support than ALL the other companies COMBINED.

agree 100%

+1
VJ Justin Allen 1:45 PM - 18 February, 2010
Of course this is just YOUR opinion.

Maybe you don't have the skill level to be able to use CDJ's with ScratchLive.
Maybe CDJ's cannot perform like turntables.
Maybe, using HID, they perform just as well or better.

It's all a matter of opinion.
DJ Matty G 2:03 PM - 18 February, 2010
Quote:
Of course this is just YOUR opinion.

Maybe you don't have the skill level to be able to use CDJ's with ScratchLive.
Maybe CDJ's cannot perform like turntables.
Maybe, using HID, they perform just as well or better.

It's all a matter of opinion.

Not really pal, when you use scratchLive in conjunction with CDJ's you don't get all the functionality of the deck FACT. Which is kinda pointless considdering the price?!

CDJ's can perform like turntables, even when connected to SL, the only problem is we have come to expect more FACT, otherwise what would be the point of all the autoloop, effects etc.

They may well perform just as well or better with HID, but the FACT is that HID is not yet supported and may never be supported. not only that, but I've found a deck that can do it for a fraction of the price.

Thanks for your .00001c.
BriChi 2:10 PM - 18 February, 2010
Quote:
but the FACT is that HID is not yet supported and may never be supported.

FYI: they already said it will be supported, just not for a couple of months
westell54 3:27 PM - 18 February, 2010
Well, at least Pioneer is working with Serato to make this happen. Denon on the other hand, is still suggesting that Serato isn't working hard enough to make it happen. In the end, we buy the gear, so they (Denon) need to get it together.
DJ Matty G 3:48 PM - 18 February, 2010
BriChi: They also said the Denon player (can't remember which one) would be supported, yet in the end it wasn't.
That's the only reason I'm not going to hold my breath.
nik39 4:05 PM - 18 February, 2010
Quote:
BriChi: They also said the Denon player (can't remember which one) would be supported, yet in the end it wasn't.

Whoa, wait. Which one? Do you mean the 5500?
www.serato.com
BriChi 6:14 PM - 18 February, 2010
the denon player is a totally different situation, The 5500 and the 3700 do not use HID, they use midi, and they said something in the players is hard to get it to work smoothly and Denon will not change what they have done.

The pioneers however are a TOTALLY different ball game and is not hard to do being that it is already done on the cdj400 in HID mode and it works great so we already know this is possible plus there are already videos showing Serato and eh 2000's working great in HID mode, it's just a matter of them perfecting which right now is low priority because of the new things Serato is working on, It was already said in some threads, by mods, that we should see native support sometime in April which seems realistic. I cannot see Serato not doing this being that it is already in production and working and just some bugs need to be worked out
BriChi 6:16 PM - 18 February, 2010
and in the thread that Nik39 posted, back in November Nick from Serato posted

Quote:
Sorry to bring bad news, but don't want to lead people on here. Unfortunately, the information regarding native support for the 3700 is incorrect. If / when there is native support available, you will hear it here first. There are still significant technical issues outstanding - i.e the low platter resolution mentioned earlier in the thread.
DJ Matty G 7:10 PM - 18 February, 2010
Quote:
Agree with this too, one of the main reasons I purchased the 5500 is the midi and upcoming native support
- Sound familiar BriChi? It should do, you wrote it.
Quote:
we have not said we will never support the HS-5500. It is on our radar, it's just we can't promise it any time soon
Ok then, I won't hold my breath. LOL
BriChi 9:39 PM - 18 February, 2010
right matty g, but I think you're missing a little bit of my point, first we all thought native support would be done on THE DENONS, then they realized the way Denon did the midi and no HID support is weak and Serato would rather not bother with it because it will not be perfect, therefore we will most likely never see native for the denon 3700 and 5500 which doesn't matter to me because the 5500's are gone and I rarely use the 3700's

But the PIONEER decks like the CDJ400 already have HID native support by Serato so we KNOW it CAN and will be done being that it's based on the same companies technology all around, Plus, Have you read what I posted above, We have already seen Serato and the 2000's work natively together, just waiting on them to let us use it once it's perfected. watch this video, at 4:00 they show it all Watchwww.youtube.com

Either way it doesn't matter, the 2000's are sick and you really don't even need to use Serato anymore so the native support for some people is irrelevant...
msoultan 4:09 AM - 14 April, 2010
I'm looking forward to their being supported, although, the decks are great already!
DJ Jonasty 4:42 AM - 14 April, 2010
So glad I've got my 2K's already. It looks like the price is going up $200 to $1,899! Good grief Charlie Brown!
msoultan 5:02 AM - 14 April, 2010
... you can still get them on amazon for 1699
Millz 5:06 AM - 14 April, 2010
i got mine for 1300 :)
msoultan 5:07 AM - 14 April, 2010
where did you get them for that price?
Millz 5:17 AM - 14 April, 2010
Chino Cali
V-Mag 2:44 PM - 16 April, 2010
Can't believe the price went up. Any reason why? I've been holding off to buy them until Native Support comes out. Tempting me to buy them, knowing I'll have to wait for Native Support in version 2.1 if it goes through.
Millz 2:46 PM - 16 April, 2010
almost every piece of Pioneer gear has gone up in price after the initial release price...
msoultan 3:26 PM - 16 April, 2010
the price didn't go up at all. It's been the same since they've released them. Millz probably got them through a friend or something like that, hence the ambiguity in where he got them.
BriChi 3:30 PM - 16 April, 2010
nope, he is right, they went up $200. Check some websites out, they are now $1899
Millz 3:31 PM - 16 April, 2010
I got mine straight from a regional Pioneer rep. At one point I had 2 cdj 2000s and 2 cdj 900s.
msoultan 8:13 AM - 30 April, 2010
djdragon 4:12 PM - 30 April, 2010
Quote:
checkit!

forums.pioneerdj.com

I heard Jesus rose from the dead too.
Jimyte 10:19 PM - 13 May, 2010
Ive been waiting since nov 09 for cdj2000 to be hid supported but hey guess what all........ There still not.... This really makes me laugh I spend a lot of time and money buying kit ie. 2 serato sl boxes , ttm57sl mixer 2 cdj 400 (which work superbly with scratchlive) 2 cdj2000 video sl for vid mix. So donated much monies too the cause. and still sitting here moaning..... Well let u into a secret...... I use traktor scratch and it works a treat..... No probs with drop outs orcoruption and even allows decent scratching ability... This is where Im at .... so please Serato... we know you can do this little update.. You will please a few DJ's at least.....
BriChi 11:16 PM - 13 May, 2010
ummmmmmmmmm, the scratching using Traktor with the 2000's in HID mode sux, I tried it, the latency is pretty bad when trying to scratch quicly
Matt Allcock 1:10 PM - 24 June, 2010
So full native support has gotta happen soon then yeah?

Has anyone found out a way of just using the 2000's as a straight MIDI controller? I had a play with one today with a view to buying a pair, and I couldn't get anything to talk to anything. With a brief forum search I then found out that it not supported as yet, and all we can do is use the 2000 like a 1000, ie. still using a control sound.

We did kinda figure one thing out with what we reckon is a major issue between Pioneer and Serato - Basically, all Serato software is free to the end user, and to be able to use it you need to purchase a soundcard box (SL1 or SL3, or a Rane mixer) - if you were to use the soundcard built into the pioneer 2000's, then this would eliminate the need for the soundcard, which would lose a lot of business from Serato.

If Serato brought out a licensing thing to eliminate the SL1/SL3 box but still get paid for all their hard work in such a fantastic product, then all of the people who bought a box would have to prove from then on that they have purchased the box to be able to get a licence key for the future software. All new customers will then have to buy the software not the box.

This would open up a lot of issues for Serato - they would have to design an anti-piracy system and employ piracy/hacker experts to fend off the illegal software pirates. Big problem as I'm sure many will be aware.

Or you could use the box as a dongle (quite cumbersome), authenticating your purchase of the Serato product, possibly being able to purchase a smaller USB dongle which does the same thing, but what if you forget to bring it with out, or it breaks, or you just simply need the USB socket?

My own opinion is - I would like the full functionality of the CDJ-2000 and to be able to use it with Serato. I wouldn't mind if I had to still use my SL-1 box to output the sound. If they work out a way of overcoming the problem with who's soundcard to use, and they decide to go with the one built into the 2000's then it would be nice to be able to use the same channel to switch between Serato and a CD, like you can with the SL-3.

Anyone have any opinions? Have I thought about it far too much? Should I get out more?

:)
Millz 3:48 PM - 24 June, 2010
Ive had my cdj 2000s since late Oct/beginning Nov 2009. Just got my DJM2000 a few days ago. Still no HID support for the 2000/900. There hasnt even been any talk about it for a few months now.
DJ Jonasty 4:30 PM - 24 June, 2010
Haha, I have already moved on from the HID support for Serato. It probably won't happen this Summer. The whole Rekordbox dj link is pretty cool if you still want to use a laptop and don't mind a little powered switch in your setup. I guess with that new DJM you'll have that built in. I have debated the new DJM for a while but have decided against it for the moment. I think all the new effects are cool, I just don't see how many of them I would use live. I barely have enough time in between tracks now to pick the next tune and mix it in properly. In any case, I can't wait to have a go on it.

I think there is another update coming for the CDJ's that allows for more precise bpm readings. IE.. 125.4 bpm etc. That will be a nice addition.

Even without the native ssl support, I'm still very happy with the decks. But for $1,899!! You'd have to be out of your mind to pay that much for one deck. You could get a whole system for that much loot.

My prediction for when Native Support is released for the 2k's - September 30, 2010
djtate 4:44 PM - 24 June, 2010
i support the idea of using the sl1/3 as a dongle to activate the software with the sound output thru the cdj400/900/2000, so u still have to buy the box in order to activate it, rane still makes their money on the hardware.
Tunecrew 4:59 PM - 24 June, 2010
other possibility is the interface is built into the units, rane charges a license fee, then the CDJ is essentially the dongle

this would make CDJs more expensive possibly
msoultan 5:22 PM - 24 June, 2010
I think having a usb dongle would be tolerable. I'd definitely consider buying it instead of having to use the box!
BriChi 5:32 PM - 24 June, 2010
or, just do what they did for VSL, enter an activation code for 1 license that hits the net so they know if it's used more then once
V-Mag 3:26 AM - 25 June, 2010
While waiting for Native Support, does anyone use the CDJ-2000's and SSL with the control signal running of a flash drive instead of control CD's? I read about this not sure if it's here or in the Pioneer Forums? Please advise.
BriChi 3:29 AM - 25 June, 2010
yes I do, works perfect just like any other cd player like the 800, 1000 etc.... would work
msoultan 3:37 AM - 25 June, 2010
yeah - I stored a modified version that repeats over and over and saved as an MP3 and it works fine.
BriChi 3:42 AM - 25 June, 2010
FYI: you can also just loop the control signal without having to use a modified version, In REL mode the signal will never run out then
msoultan 3:44 AM - 25 June, 2010
the reason I did a modified version was so that it would go into INT for about 1 second and then back to REL so that there wouldn't be any hiccup
BriChi 4:06 AM - 25 June, 2010
But if you just loop the first couple of minutes of the signal, it will never go into int mode, so no hiccup.
Millz 4:10 AM - 25 June, 2010
im about to loop serato and pioneer if they dont give us HID support! :P
msoultan 4:13 AM - 25 June, 2010
actually it does when the loop resets because there's a "hiccup" in the timecode. It's slight, but I'm trying to minimize any potential audio anomalies, especially during a recording.
BriChi 12:14 PM - 25 June, 2010
oh yeah, I did complain about that once but got no answer, I forgot it even did that
DJ Jonasty 12:29 PM - 25 June, 2010
I keep my control signal on a usb drive and put it in my tag list. This way it's easy to get to from the other deck. I take off auto cue so when it runs out I just hit the track back button and it starts up again. It works fine for now and it allows me to go back and forth between ssl and playing off the cdj's hard drive. I wish I could just map the hotcue buttons via midi for the time being but it looks like you either play with them in Link mode or Timecode but not both; oh well.
BriChi 12:38 PM - 25 June, 2010
yeah, hopefully soon enough we get midi support
Matt Allcock 12:47 PM - 25 June, 2010
I heard from the Serato rep in Australia today - she says that Native support between the CDJ2000 and Serato is in SL2.1 and is in private Beta testing now.

I have the private beta and a pair of CDJ2000s. I can't get them to talk.

Any solutions? I need the lights on my CDJ wheel to be RED!!!
BriChi 12:51 PM - 25 June, 2010
thats cool, are you one of the beta tester? where did you get 2.1 from?
DJWALDO 12:56 PM - 25 June, 2010
Quote:
I heard from the Serato rep in Australia today - she says that Native support between the CDJ2000 and Serato is in SL2.1 and is in private Beta testing now.

I have the private beta and a pair of CDJ2000s. I can't get them to talk.

Any solutions? I need the lights on my CDJ wheel to be RED!!!

buy 1200's... the red light is always red and it save 1500 per deck :)

j/k i've played on 2000's... they are actually kinda dope

Quote:
thats cool, are you one of the beta tester? where did you get 2.1 from?

from the PRIVATE beta area... there's a reason you don't know where to get it...
BriChi 12:59 PM - 25 June, 2010
yeah, but if he was a REAL private beta tester, he would know NOT TO DISCUSS AND BETA INFO OUTSIDE THAT AREA!!! which leads me to believe its from a torrent
BriChi 1:00 PM - 25 June, 2010
AND, if he was a real private beta tester of 2.1 and the 2000's, he would know why he cannot get them to link together :)
Matt Allcock 1:12 PM - 25 June, 2010
Chill ya beans guys... I should have asked that question in the beta test section.

I posted in here because you guys might like to know that it's just what I have heard from the Serato rep today - if the rep told me this via a DJ shop then it's not private information.

Anyway, it doesn't work yet. So there.
BriChi 1:52 PM - 25 June, 2010
Matt, check your PM
Millz 3:53 PM - 25 June, 2010
I have 2.1 as well, but there is no HID support for the cdjs, so I dont know what dudes talkinga bout
BriChi 4:10 PM - 25 June, 2010
if you are a private beta tester, then you are not reading proper areas to find out how to get them to work :)
RogerRabbit 5:14 PM - 25 June, 2010
Quote:
I have 2.1 as well, but there is no HID support for the cdjs, so I dont know what dudes talkinga bout

I guess some guys think it's cool to boost about being beta testers...
BriChi 5:15 PM - 25 June, 2010
exactly! none of this should be discussed outside of a beta area
DJ Jonasty 6:15 PM - 25 June, 2010
1st rule about beta area, don't talk about beta area?
djdannyd 10:17 PM - 25 June, 2010
it's like area 51 people, it doesnt exist!
V-Mag 6:42 AM - 28 June, 2010
Quote:
yes I do, works perfect just like any other cd player like the 800, 1000 etc.... would work

BriChi,

So you would need to use two flash drives for each player correct? And would you then click on the USB button on each player. But just like the control CD's when using relative mode and at the end of the signal of track 1 does it switch to internal mode?
I have the Pioneer MEP-7000 and I use it with SSL 2.0 with native support.
Matt Allcock 7:40 AM - 28 June, 2010
With the 2000s you will only need one USB flash drive and then the network cable between the players - you can use the serato control sound from player 1 and it will drag it across to player 2 via the "Link" button.

And it is excactly like using any CD player with the control CD, just quicker with searching as it's using a WAV file and not a CD. Never acually got anywhere near the end of the control signal so I don't know what happens at the end!
BriChi 11:08 AM - 28 June, 2010
^^^^^^what he said^^^^^ lol
BriChi 9:14 PM - 1 July, 2010
announcement for HID support www.skratchworx.com
Rodbo 1:31 AM - 2 July, 2010
Question: Does anybody know whether or not you can use the cdj2000's hot cues on the cdjs when in native mode?
BriChi 1:37 AM - 2 July, 2010
I am sure you will be able to, it will be mapped so the 2000's buttons control Serato, for example, hot star a,b, and c with trigger cues 1, 2 and 3, not sure how we will access 4 and 5 other then hitting the laptop keys. Also, i am sure the loop in and out buttons will set loops and so on
Millz 1:44 AM - 2 July, 2010
this is good news...only been waitin for it fORever
Matt Allcock 11:59 AM - 2 July, 2010
That IS good news. So it's out the bag now then!

Do we have an actual date of release from Pioneer for the firmware update?

Do we know how far away SSL 2.1 is from being a full, stable release?

Pretty miffed that they have fixed the "bug" where the CDJ2000 in HID mode makes the jog wheel glow red not white... I want my jog wheel red thanks! :(
BriChi 12:14 PM - 2 July, 2010
Pioneer release date is in the article. July 12th.
Matt Allcock 12:15 PM - 2 July, 2010
Ah, read it wrong! whoops... thought it said June!
DJ Jonasty 12:29 PM - 2 July, 2010
Sweet (cartman voice) No more RB!
Matt Allcock 10:29 AM - 12 July, 2010
Firmware now released for serato support (beta only)

www.prodjnet.com

I think we've got a way to go yet before it's totally bug free, but HID now works with the BETA!!!
V-Mag 1:05 PM - 12 July, 2010
Matt,

Are the all the functions on the CDJ's usuable with HID? Are you usuing 900's or 2000's. Gonna pick the 2000's within the next couple of weeks to replace my MKII's. I am currently HID with the MEP-7000 and all the cues and functions on the unit are HID accessible.
msoultan 3:32 PM - 12 July, 2010
Yeah, it's pretty good, but it's a little quirky still. Scratching is a little funky on my 900s.. sometimes when you grab the platter is speeds up for a sec.. kinda weird
DJ Jonasty 5:35 PM - 12 July, 2010
I installed the new 3.1 firmware to the cdj's this morning and ran them with SSL 2.1 beta. They sort of worked, the waveform came up on the screens but scrolling thru crates was really laggish. The scratching has a very noticeable latency and sometimes hitting play/pause won't stop the track. The led jogwheel is no longer on. I'm hoping this is just because it's with a beta version. In any case I made a video this morning half asleep and you can see for yourself.

Watchwww.youtube.com
BriChi 5:37 PM - 12 July, 2010
jonasty, I noticed some latency too and then realized the usb buffer was high, Go into the setup screen (in ssl) and put the usb buffer latency to the lowest setting, all the way to the left, hit apply and try again
BriChi 5:39 PM - 12 July, 2010
jonasty, I noticed in your video you are in HID STANDARD, as per the download, you have to switch HID to ADVANCED when using Serato
BriChi 5:40 PM - 12 July, 2010
the setting is in the cdj2000 in the menu area
msoultan 5:47 PM - 12 July, 2010
I noticed the lag and then I lowered the buffer, but then I got dropouts. It seems like they also need a disconnect option so that you can disconnect and then reconnect because sometimes the connection between the two gets wonky. Anyways, I'm sure this is all stuff I should be putting in the beta forum :)
Serato
James 12:37 AM - 13 July, 2010
Quote:
jonasty, I noticed in your video you are in HID STANDARD, as per the download, you have to switch HID to ADVANCED when using Serato
Yeah you need to set the CDJ-2000 to ADVANCED mode for everything to behave correctly. In the next 2.1 beta we will detect this setting and display a status bar message if it is incorrect.
DJ Jonasty 5:19 AM - 13 July, 2010
Cool, I see the advanced mode now. Everything is working so much better. There is still latency with the platter but I'll move that discussion over to the beta area.
Matt Allcock 10:14 AM - 13 July, 2010
I made the same mistake.... :/

Everything works so much better in Advanced mode! Oops...
DJ Jonasty 12:43 PM - 16 July, 2010
I've installed the new beta and left it in advanced mode so everything is working perfect now. No latency, jog wheels light up and everything is very fluid. I took my Youtube video down as it didn't properly represent how good the control is. Nice work Serato!
BriChi 1:11 PM - 16 July, 2010
Nice! glad you got it working Jonasty, the control is great and only getting better, I love it
Matt Allcock 7:34 AM - 19 July, 2010
+1 :)