Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Hardware Disconnect

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Vestax VCI-300
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Arinb27 3:33 AM - 12 July, 2009
Product: itch
Version: 1.0.4
Hardware: vestax-vci-300
Computer: pc
OS Version: vista
---

I have a windows vista, 32- bit operating system, with 3G RAM...
My problem is that when i install my itch software, and plug in my vci 300, it says hardware disconnected... now i know that there is a more upgraded version of the program on the serato website, but even when i install that it doesn't work. So what am i supposed to do?
Arinb27 8:26 AM - 12 July, 2009
Additional Information:
This was from a free online personal pc audit.. im not sure why it says 64 - bit ready, when on my system properties it says 32 - bit operating system
Processor:
2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Multimedia:
Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800 (Model 78xxx, Combo ATSC/QAM)
Realtek High Definition Audio

The Device itself (vci 300)
My computer reads it as an unknown device, and when i click on it, it gives me this.

This device is not configured correctly. (Code 1)
There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.
To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver.

When i click reinstall driver it goes to driver update, if i let the computer search on its own, it comes up with nothing, when i browse myself, and go to program files to the drivers of itch, i find nothing but the ns7 32 - bit and an images folder. i know there is a separate driver icon in there, but it doesn't show up during the search.

i have tried reinstalling the program, didn't work. I have tried installing it with the original cd, it didn't work. I have tried installing without having having the hardware installed, and that didn't work either. Everything i seem to be trying doesn't work. I've saved up this $1,000 for a long time, and i thought it would be a good investment in this piece of equipment. But all it's done is cause stress and anger. So please if you guys can help me out and get this thing to work, id be extremely happy.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 2:12 AM - 13 July, 2009
Hi Arinb27.
Sorry to hear you've been having issues.

The VCI-300 is a class compliant piece of hardware, meaning that it doesn't need drivers.
If you turn your computer off, then plug in the VCI-300 (and no other USB devices) then turn the computer on, and then load ITCH - do you still get the hardware disconnected message?
Arinb27 7:43 AM - 13 July, 2009
Yes.
Arinb27 7:48 AM - 13 July, 2009
Just to throw in a little more info, when i plug it into my computer, the only things that light up are the power light, and the blue LED under the right deck. Just wondering if that has anything to do with all this.
Also, the first thing that popped up when i turned on my computer was once again, "windows needs to install driver software for your unknown device"
Arinb27 7:16 PM - 13 July, 2009
i just spoke to one of your members on technical support, and they told me that the VCI - 300 isn't compatible with the quad core yet, and that they are trying to come up with a fix for. How long would it take for this update to be available, and where can i find it? Would yo guys be able to keep me updated?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 12:16 AM - 14 July, 2009
So the power light, the left platter and the first two green channel leds don't light up?

Can you also download ITCH 1.0.5 from here and install:
www.serato.com
Arinb27 3:39 AM - 14 July, 2009
nothing lights up other than the power light above the que 1/ loop and the blue led under the right platter
and i already have downloaded 1.0.5, it didn't make any difference, but ill download it again anyways...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 2:52 AM - 15 July, 2009
Do you have a power adaptor you could use with the VCI-300?
Do you have another computer you could try to use with the VCI-300?
Cheers.
Arinb27 3:32 AM - 15 July, 2009
No i do not have a power adaptor.
And i tried using it with my friends Mac, it still didn't work.
Any ball park estimate when the fix is coming out for my computer?
I can't sit here and just look at this piece of equipment, im gonna have to get rid of it asap.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 4:29 AM - 15 July, 2009
There shouldn't be an issue with a quad core processor - multi core processor support should be the same if you have 2 or 4 or 8 etc.
Your issue sounds like there could be a power or USB port fault.

When you tried it with another computer, does it do exactly the same thing?
What was his Mac specifications?
Arinb27 5:04 AM - 15 July, 2009
If its a power or usb fault, then what would you suggest i do?
Yes, it did the same thing.
I'm not to sure, i think it was a mac book pro g4 or something.. its one of those grey ones
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 5:15 AM - 15 July, 2009
If the issue is with the hard drive, or the way the computer is interacting with the data on the hard drive, we can rule out somethings, if it's not, then at least we've ruled out the drive or permissions or formatting etc from the equation.

So the other computer was probably an older one? If you are able to get the specs of that, or try on a computer that you can get the specs for, then we can rule out the other computer from being problematic too! (Sorry).
Arinb27 5:28 AM - 15 July, 2009
By hard drive do you mean my computers hard drive? or the vci 300.

yes, i believe so.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 5:31 AM - 15 July, 2009
Can you please also see if the VCI-300 is working with any other programs on your computer such as iTunes or WMP?
Arinb27 5:34 AM - 15 July, 2009
What do you mean by that?
My computer reads it as an unknown device, and i cant find it anywhere else other than my device manager.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 5:51 AM - 15 July, 2009
What I mean is can you use another audio program to play music out of the VCI-300 as a soundcard?
Arinb27 6:16 AM - 15 July, 2009
i have Ableton live 7, and Virtual DJ... but im not sure how i can connect it to either one.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 10:27 PM - 15 July, 2009
Windows Media Player or iTunes will be fine.
You may need to look in the preferences, or right click the speaker logo / volume in the bottom right of the taskbar next to your time and select playback devices to find playback device.
Arinb27 4:24 AM - 16 July, 2009
it doesn't show up
how can i return the product to the manufacturer?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 12:26 AM - 17 July, 2009
If you download Midiox, install and right click on the Monitor-Output window, then select MIDI Devices, do you get the VCI 300 DJ Controller show up in the MIDI Inputs and Outputs? If so can you select them,and then press ok. If you tweak a VCI-300 knob, do you see a lot of midi data being spewed out in the Monitor-Output window?
www.midiox.com
Arinb27 1:44 AM - 17 July, 2009
Listen, this product is not working out for me. Plain and simple. I do not have the patience to sit here and chat with you day by day not coming up with a solution. So please, all i ask for you to do is answer my simple question. How can i return the product to the manufacturer? I am not willing to give it back to the original seller for a restocking fee of a product i couldn't even use. I believe you guys give me a full refund for defected products. To me this a defected piece of equipment, and there is no reason for me to keep it, and keep trying to find a way around my problem. I just want my money back.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 5:53 AM - 17 July, 2009
Hi Arinb27.

I'm very sorry for the frustration you are experiencing. I understand you just wanting to plug in the unit and use it.

Using midiox will be a very quick way to determine if it is a defective VCI-300, or if it is something else or if there is a quick solution.

The other option apart from using midiox and this help thread will be to take it back to the store you purchased it from. They will either test it out there to determine if the unit was indeed faulty, or if there is something going on with your computer interfacing with it. If it is your VCI-300 then they will talk to you about your options from there.

You can also try contacting Vestax direct here:
Vestax - USA
Phone: +1-323-230-7634 (10:00am - 5:00pm, PST)

Again, I'm sorry that you are having a hard time with this! It's never a good feeling, especially if the troubleshooting seems like it is taking a while :(

So either feel free to keep trying here, or to take it into the store and explain your issue (may help to take your laptop to show them it not working, if they have another unit then they can test on your laptop to).

Good luck and keep me posted with what you want to do.
-Matt
Arinb27 7:37 AM - 17 July, 2009
I used Miidiox and again, nothing came up.
When i did call, they said that my quad processor is what may be the problem.
But all in all im going to be going back to the store as soon as i have some time on my hands.
Thanks for the posts.
Arinb27 1:19 AM - 19 July, 2009
I took my VCIback today and got a new one, turns out that the hardware was what was causing my problem.
Now i have another problem. When i open itch, it freezes on me. When i load a track, the track lags. How can i fix this?
Arinb27 4:27 AM - 19 July, 2009
never mind about that, i got it to work by plugging the vci into another usb port
hey thanks again with you're patience and trying to help me out, even though there was nothing any one of us could have done with that faulty hardware
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 11:51 PM - 19 July, 2009
Cool as - glad you've got it working now :D

If software supports dual-core then any amount of multiple processors will work fine.

This sounded like you encountered a low powered USB port. Most laptops have 'good' and 'bad' ports, so worth checking out which ports on your laptop are good and which are under-powered for future reference.

I'll close this down for now, but feel free to post and the thread will reopen.

Enjoy!
trsreagan3 5:06 AM - 10 November, 2009
I'm having the same problem...vci 300 worked great for about 2-3 months...now all that will light up is the power light and it says hardware disconnected. took it back to guitar center and they said that since it had been over a month that they could not help me. not sure what to do now except call vestax which could take a while.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 9:17 PM - 10 November, 2009
Hi trsreagan3. Can you please start a new help thread detailing your problem as much as possible and including your system specs (make, model, CPU, RAM, hard drive and any other USB devices). We will get onto helping you asap. Cheers.