Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Wave display stuttering when in use

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane SL1
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
reflex1 9:46 PM - 22 April, 2009
Product: scratchlive
Version: 1.8.4
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: mac
---

I'm using a brand new mac book pro 17 inch...As I'm mixing and have two songs load the wave display begins to stutter or shake. All of the music is loaded on the hard drive and i do not use any other programs at the same time. The usb has been on 10, 5 and now 1 and the problem continues. Is there something i need to do to my mac to get it to work right? is there a fix for this?
reflex1 9:47 PM - 22 April, 2009
i just loaded 1.9 and the problem cont...
Rane, Support
Chad S. 9:50 PM - 22 April, 2009
Certain MACs have a "shakey" or "stuttering" waveform.

If the "maximum screen updates" isn't already set to 60, move it there. If you zoom out of the waveform it shouldn't be as present.

I have the same issue with my MAC. Fairly common issue.
reflex1 10:04 PM - 22 April, 2009
How do i zoom out? i never had to do this on my PC i'm new to mac
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:08 PM - 22 April, 2009
you can use the + and - to zoom in and out of the waveform
reflex1 10:19 PM - 22 April, 2009
that only makes it look slow... are you saying i just spent $3000 on a MAC and my PC runs better??? lol I'm confused... what macs dont shake?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 10:27 PM - 22 April, 2009
runs better. lol

There are 3 known issues i can think of with a MAC, this is one.

I can think of at least 15 with PCs off the top of my head.

As you can see, nothing is perfect but your performance is going to be drastically improved and hours of stress reduced from your life.
reflex1 10:32 PM - 22 April, 2009
LOL MAC is the best LOL i know

what other issues may i have so i know?

Thanks for all your help!!!
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:32 PM - 23 April, 2009
You want to make sure to set the HD to "never" go to sleep. If it does while Scratch Live is open and then you pull a song from the internal drive (waking it up)It will not pass audio and you have to restart the computer.

You will also want to set your screen saver to "never" come on and uncheck the "put hard disk to sleep when possible" option.

The other problem was with the new 8.0.? itunes versions but we were able to fix that back in the 1.8.3 version.

Currently the new MB pros with 4gb RAM have a distortion issue. It's on Apples end and the temp solution is to remove 2gb RAM. They have announced a fix for it in their new 10.5.7 release due out soon.

Thats all I can think of.
dj machetie 5:30 PM - 14 May, 2009
Same problem here
Just updated to 10.5.7 and still having STUTTERING wave form display even when sl1 is disconnected have a slight stutter...
my specs are
MacBook Pro 15"
2.2 dual core
GeForce 8600M GT
4GB RAM
500GB hdd
Scratch LIve 1.9 and 1.8.3

Have tried everything. Thinking to install windows plz help
Rane, Support
Chad S. 5:57 PM - 14 May, 2009
That is a known issue. There isn't much i can offer in the way of assistance other than whats already been mentioned.
1:10 AM, 2 Aug 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.