Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Reduce CrossFader Cut on the VCI-300

Dirty Swift 5:41 PM - 12 January, 2009
Hi,

I have to admit the I LOVE the VCI-300 and I do use it a lot.
I am pretty much able to reproduce almost everything that I am doing on regular vinyls (or shoud I say on Serato Vinyls).
But the only thing that I don't like, but this is more related to any Vestax mixer, is the cross fader. The cross does not cut right away like on any other mixer like the Rane TTM57-SL, and it's hard to cut when you are not use to it (saying when you have not been scratching and cutting on vestax mixers for years).
I know that they are the Vestax CLS-1 (Cut Lag Spacer) to do that, but I don't know if they are compatible with the VCI-300 crossfader and how to install them (it looks like to reach the crossfader, you have to remove the plates, which looks very dangerous to me).
Anybody has found a solution?
Thanks,
DJ Dirty Swift
www.myspace.com.djdirtyswift
DJ 2ni 7:17 AM - 13 January, 2009
Hi

I agree

For me it's too difficult to do the CRAB-scratching with the VCI-300 with this Crossfader..! there is about 2 mm without sound coming, it's not cutting well..!

Before I was using a DNX-1500 DENON mixer with the P&G crossfader and it was cutting more more more better, it was so good for the CRAB.

I'm looking in vain for a way to resolve this too.

Thanks.

DJ 2ni from France
Dirty Swift 9:27 AM - 13 January, 2009
There must be a solution...
nik39 11:46 AM - 13 January, 2009
+1 on this topic.
DJ 2ni 3:28 PM - 13 January, 2009
+2
DeezNotes 4:33 PM - 13 January, 2009
I agree. However, I don't think the fader should have an "instant" on/off. My experience with those type of faders have been that there's no dead space at all which makes each "click" almost non-existent. I do believe that the cut should be reduced somewhat on the VCI as well as other Vestax mixers with this same cut-in space. Rane got it right IMO. Fader resistance on the VCI is lovely though.

That being said... I don't have a solution. And modding your equipment with credit cards, spacers, etc. is very 90s. I refuse to do such a thing to any piece of gear over $400 in value.
Deejay Dumb Bii 8:08 AM - 21 January, 2009
+3, and I do agree with DeezNotes too.

On my note, my crabs aren't good on the VCI-300 I have to say, they're almost perfect on my PMC-05pro3.
Serato
Edouard 11:29 PM - 22 January, 2009
Hi everyone.

We've been hearing your requests on this item loud and clear, but unfortunately it isn't a software fix, but a firmware one. What I can say is that Vestax is working on a firmware update that improves the cut. We don't have a date for when this will be ready, but I'd hate to see anyone mod their hardware when things may be improved in the not-too-distant future.

Serato doesn't have this updated firmware yet to test, so I honestly can't say how much of a difference it makes, or when it will be ready, but both companies recognize the problem, and are working towards getting you all a fix.

Stay tuned!
DeezNotes 3:26 AM - 23 January, 2009
Seems like mine got worse... maybe I'm just used to the Rane? But its waaay worse than what it was IMO.
kraal 6:22 AM - 23 January, 2009
there is a temporary solution i came up with. i purchased little clear plastic circled to stick on the bottom of galss table tops...well the square ones stick to the vci-300 and are removable. that should be enough info to figure out... i can take picture if you like
Maskrider 12:47 PM - 25 January, 2009
I've noticed the same thing to that you can't do those fast chirps.
seratosnatch 7:08 PM - 25 January, 2009
Will this firmware also have a chance to make the headphones volume louder?
DeezNotes 11:18 PM - 25 January, 2009
Quote:
Will this firmware also have a chance to make the headphones volume louder?

I don't think so.
Maskrider 2:49 AM - 26 January, 2009
Is here any option to make the Headphones louder?
kraal 4:26 PM - 26 January, 2009
get better headphones id the best option for making the vci-300 headphones louder.
Dj Beware 9:30 PM - 26 January, 2009
I have MDR-V700 which are decent headphones and its still pretty....
kraal 10:27 PM - 26 January, 2009
well i use my sennheiser hd 280 pro right next to the speaker and have no problem
Maskrider 6:37 AM - 27 January, 2009
So HD280 it is.
DeezNotes 2:31 PM - 27 January, 2009
It's not the headphones. The headphone output is limited because this unit is bus powered. All this is mentioned in another thread. The true solution is to get an external headphone amp, not to change headphones. If you were mentioning some $20 headphones or some ipod buds, then yes I'd recommend you upgrade your headphone status. Sony 700s are adequate enough to provide loud and clear sound. The VCI cannot compete with the headphone output of, say a Rane mixer.
kraal 2:59 PM - 27 January, 2009
Quote:
It's not the headphones. The headphone output is limited because this unit is bus powered. All this is mentioned in another thread. The true solution is to get an external headphone amp, not to change headphones. If you were mentioning some $20 headphones or some ipod buds, then yes I'd recommend you upgrade your headphone status. Sony 700s are adequate enough to provide loud and clear sound. The VCI cannot compete with the headphone output of, say a Rane mixer.

ok then why is it not all units are causing and issue???? mine is pretty loud and i use it in a club if it is bus power then would an adaptor make a difference?
DeezNotes 9:06 PM - 27 January, 2009
This thread is about the crossfader cuts, we can continue the headphone output discussion here: serato.com to prevent taking this thread further off topic.
Dirty Swift 10:29 AM - 3 February, 2009
Thanks Edouard... This is a good to hear that both Vestax and Serato are aware of it and recognize it as a problem... I thought it was like this by design. I hope we will get a new version soon, so I can use it as I want to use it.
Thanks a lot,
DJ Dirty Swift
www.djdirtyswift.com
DJ 2ni 2:22 PM - 3 February, 2009
If the firmware update comes, who can update my VCI:
me or a vestax dealer ?

Thanks
Serato
Pene 9:19 PM - 3 February, 2009
Any firmware updates will be done through ITCH - so you will be able to do it yourself :)
kraal 11:49 PM - 3 February, 2009
Quote:
Any firmware updates will be done through ITCH - so you will be able to do it yourself :)

you dont know how good that makes me feel.... i am still three weeks and waiting for a replacement of a damaged vci-300 i recieved and would hate to go through this waiting for a fix
Deejay Dumb Bii 5:09 PM - 6 February, 2009
So when is this firmware coming? or will it delay like the release date of the NS7?

If no release within the next month (i assume), then I will show the VCI-300 world my crossfader cut solution ( it's tested and hardware based/no firmware), and I've got my CF cut reduced down to .5mm or 1mm movement already... it's no longer at the 3mm mark.

I'm going to build a small website tutorial how to do it...but if somebody want's I can do a video tutorial on youtube. But its strictly only for the "brave" owners. It just consists of 2 metal washers and 2 DVD-Rom/Burner computer screws(the very small threads)......and a philips screwdriver. If you know that much, you will be able to get what I've done. The 2 metal washers give the click sound we all love so much. =P This was a random night that I just got my VCI-300 back from my friend, which almost nearly destroyed the middle section of the VCI300. (it was sloping down pretty bad).
DJ SHY 1:06 AM - 8 February, 2009
hey!!!..wouldn't mind seeing that vid...i'm one of those that can't wait any longer!!!...lol
kraal 3:34 PM - 8 February, 2009
maybe i should put a vid up of my 'non-destructive/non warenty voiding' method mentioned earlier
nik39 3:37 PM - 8 February, 2009
Yes, please.
kraal 3:49 PM - 8 February, 2009
it will be up in the next couple days. i will mix it with my cheap laptop skin solution.
Serato
Edouard 3:06 AM - 16 February, 2009
Quote:
So when is this firmware coming? or will it delay like the release date of the NS7?

Vestax is still working on it, but I have no new news to report to you unfortunately.
DJ 2ni 2:10 PM - 16 March, 2009
no answer from Vestax about the firmware that improves the cut of the crossfader ?
OJ 4:22 PM - 16 August, 2009
Can we just put in a Pro X Fader crossfader? I've been checking around and I see that the VCI-100 (which is smaller and uses the same fader) has been moded with it.
kraal 4:39 PM - 16 August, 2009
Quote:
Can we just put in a Pro X Fader crossfader? I've been checking around and I see that the VCI-100 (which is smaller and uses the same fader) has been moded with it.

not the same fader on the vci-300 and vci-100
ReyKwon 4:21 AM - 18 September, 2009
anyone with pics, tutorials or mods for the vci-300 crossfader?
kraal 8:08 AM - 18 September, 2009
yes i taped 2 dimes with electrical tape on each side
DeezNotes 2:06 PM - 18 September, 2009
Quote:
Hi everyone.

We've been hearing your requests on this item loud and clear, but unfortunately it isn't a software fix, but a firmware one. What I can say is that Vestax is working on a firmware update that improves the cut. We don't have a date for when this will be ready, but I'd hate to see anyone mod their hardware when things may be improved in the not-too-distant future.

Serato doesn't have this updated firmware yet to test, so I honestly can't say how much of a difference it makes, or when it will be ready, but both companies recognize the problem, and are working towards getting you all a fix.

Stay tuned!

Any rumors from Vestax on the firmware update?
kraal 2:17 PM - 18 September, 2009
i was thinking the same but there has been no recent post from vestax around here i kinda felt it pointless to ask
krank 7:01 AM - 21 September, 2009
would be interested to see any of the non destructive mods, where are the pics fellas??
westell54 8:52 AM - 24 September, 2009
What about the fader spacers that Vestax makes? Will those work on the VCI-300?
Deejay Dumb Bii 12:02 AM - 25 September, 2009
I tried it already, doesn't work, it slips through, and you have to take it back out.

I did the DVD-Rom PC screws and washers mod to reduce the cut and made it like .5mm cut, works like a charm for me, better with crabbing now. (I mentioned this above already).
J-Reign 7:31 AM - 25 September, 2009
The best I can say for now is to keep practicing on the VCI-300. Eventually your fingers will get used to it.
l.rmx 8:13 AM - 25 September, 2009
Edouard Please be patient that some People have problems with Itch 1.1.0 so if u force them with the firmwareupdate of the pitch to use only 1.1.0 they will be in trouble :)
myki2000 8:01 PM - 29 September, 2009
Quote:
I did the DVD-Rom PC screws and washers mod to reduce the cut and made it like .5mm cut, works like a charm for me, better with crabbing now. (I mentioned this above already).

It's a destructive mod's ? You have some photos ?

Thanks
iiexist 12:57 AM - 4 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Vestax is still working on it, but I have no new news to report to you unfortunately.

i pray this is addressed in the upcoming update.
i'm bouncing back and forth from a vinyl+rane to a mp3+vestax.
BIG DIFFERENCE!
Booyah 4:11 PM - 12 February, 2010
Quote:
Hi everyone.

Stay tuned!

Just wondering if there are any updates on this since its been over a year since the discussion was first started?
Maskrider 4:14 PM - 12 February, 2010
Kraal already made a mod about this problem.
kraal 5:47 PM - 12 February, 2010
Quote:
Kraal already made a mod about this problem.

lilsoulja made the mod .... i just made the video :)
djtekno 10:09 PM - 25 February, 2010
When you guys did the screw mod for the crossfader, did you notice that the height of the crossfader was shorter? like the fader cap rubs against the unit. I tried looking for screws or something that would help, but I've had to no luck. Any ideas guys?
Evin Kepik 12:32 AM - 26 February, 2010
what screws did you use? Did you use one of VCI's screw or something else? Adding screws to those holes does of course increase the distance between the fader assembly and the chassis housing. Thus making the fader look like it sunk deep.

Make sure the heads of the screws are flat as possible. Perhaps bringing the VCI to a hardware store? :P

I work in a company that manufacturers telecom network boards, so I had an abundance of screws to play around with :P
djtekno 4:36 AM - 26 February, 2010
Quote:
what screws did you use? Did you use one of VCI's screw or something else? Adding screws to those holes does of course increase the distance between the fader assembly and the chassis housing. Thus making the fader look like it sunk deep.

Make sure the heads of the screws are flat as possible. Perhaps bringing the VCI to a hardware store? :P

I work in a company that manufacturers telecom network boards, so I had an abundance of screws to play around with :P

Yeah, I used the ones from the VCI-300, first the ones near the audio ports, then the ones from the size, but they still give height. I tried some from a laptop lcd, just because they were smaller, but it wouldn't cut off.

Would you happen to know what type of screws I should get? I read of the electrical tape, and penny tricks, but I think the screw mod works better. Reason for asking is because I didn't really like the crossfader cap that low. My fingers would rub against the board.
kraal 2:33 PM - 26 February, 2010
they are #4 machine screws i beleive
illkid 4:16 PM - 27 March, 2010
any news on a firmware update for the vci-300 to fix the cut-in lag?

or some easy mod?
kraal 6:02 PM - 27 March, 2010
obviously there will be no firmware for it.... this is the only simple mod www.serato.com
illkid 9:01 PM - 27 March, 2010
Quote:
Hi everyone.

Stay tuned!

is vestax still working on the firmware update?

wow i doubt it, a vestax support mod said in another thread that they arent even aware of this problem. see here www.serato.com
kraal 9:29 PM - 27 March, 2010
vestax support is the worst on these and their own forums
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 10:02 AM - 7 April, 2010
I am personally sending an email to Vestax engineers about this issue as I am typing this. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have cause you. When i get news on this I will let you all know.

Quote:

Hi Kraal,

I am sorry to hear this and I apologize. Was there anything you needed help with?. Please let me know. Or PM me if it is a private matter or if you want to talk one on one over the phone to solve any issues please call 1-888-498-4788 :) Mon-Fri 10am-5pm PST.

Thank you all for your time and posts on the Serato ITCH boards

Thank you,
Carl
Vestax USA
Maskrider 2:38 PM - 7 April, 2010
Finally We got the attention we deserve........Since Carl is onboard. When and where can we purchase those VCI-300 accessories? That we have seen on youtube.
illkid 3:21 PM - 7 April, 2010
to bad this is nothing that Serato can fix, im sure it would have been fixed by now.

but no we stuck with Vestax here,and after more than 1Year Vestax Support will send an email about this issue to the engineers.

i agree with Kraal

Quote:
Hi everyone.

Stay tuned!

and whats up with this???
kraal 5:34 PM - 7 April, 2010
Quote:

Quote:

Hi Kraal,

I am sorry to hear this and I apologize. Was there anything you needed help with?.

not anything right now i mean eventually everything has been worked out the only question is still want to know is the availability of the fancy jog wheels that i was told on the vestax forum that they were not for sell then see then on NAMM videos on a display rack.
illkid 6:11 PM - 7 April, 2010
if you are talking about these www.audiopalace.de
they are for sale at least here in Germany.
kraal 6:12 PM - 7 April, 2010
Quote:

yes and a saw that but shipping is too much so waiting for the states :)
Maskrider 8:34 PM - 7 April, 2010
Quote:

That is what I'm talking about give us those Fancy Jog wheels.
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 11:40 PM - 7 April, 2010
I was told from Japan that our US distributor has bought these parts in limited numbers.

Here is their contact info:

U.S.A.
American Music & Sound
www.americanmusicandsound.com
5304 Derry Avenue #C Agoura Hills, CA 91301
www.americanmusicandsound.com
tel:866-474-7711 fax:818-597-0411

Those were a very limited number piece. Once they are gone they are gone

please call 1-888-498-4788 Mon-Fri 10am-5pm PST If you have any questions.

Thank you,
Carl
illkid 5:52 PM - 9 April, 2010
ok back on topic

The CrossFader Cut on the VCI-300 sucks!
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 6:09 PM - 9 April, 2010
I just got info back from Japan and they said they are looking into ways of altering this. No ETA on when this will be out or if a alteration is coming soon.

Thank you,
Carl
kraal 9:45 PM - 9 April, 2010
Quote:
I just got info back from Japan and they said they are looking into ways of altering this. No ETA on when this will be out or if a alteration is coming soon.

Thank you,
Carl

tell them making a replacement fader is a good option even if a firmware isnt possible
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 11:39 PM - 9 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Thank you,
Carl

tell them making a replacement fader is a good option even if a firmware isnt possible

I have :). They told me they are looking into it and if i get any news i will post it A.S.A.P

Thank you,
Carl
Maskrider 10:49 AM - 10 April, 2010
Thanks a lot Carl I've never seen you this active before in the Forums.
Kmxorbit 11:53 AM - 10 April, 2010
Quote:

+1. Keep it up.
kraal 6:37 PM - 10 April, 2010
even though i am glad carl from vestax is 'working on this' it was january 2009 when we were told not to mod our units cause there maybe a solution in the not so distant future.... well my mod works fine :)
DJdaveZ 6:59 PM - 10 April, 2010
Quote:

+2
kraal 7:09 PM - 10 April, 2010
Quote:

he's been around in the help area for a minute ;)
illkid 7:00 PM - 11 April, 2010
Quote:

^trying to prove you wrong

id like Edouard of Serato to chime in and comment on this

Quote:
Hi everyone.

Stay tuned!

that was in Jan. 2009....
kraal 7:10 PM - 11 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

^trying to prove you wrong

that was in Jan. 2009....

how? by posting something that was said (not even from vestax) over a year ago about an issue that has yet to be solved? :)

but actually my statement should read vestax's presence on the discussion forums is the least
Vestax
Carl - Vestax 7:03 PM - 12 April, 2010
Yep :) If you guys need anything just contact me with PM's i am one click away haha

Thank you,
Carl
Vestax USA
Dj Beware 10:47 AM - 3 September, 2010
@Carl is there any update, or is the MKII considered the solution to the problem?
Kepik 9:10 PM - 27 December, 2010
the MKII still has the same crossfader cut level. However, being that they have designed the MKII to have the crossfader upgraded, its more easier to do the temporary crossfader cut solution.
TheFreshmaker 3:29 PM - 7 April, 2011
Hi there,

Just thinking of upgrading to the VCI300MKii (and Itch) having happily used the 'Spin' for the past 12 months, and caught the scratching bug.

Before I take the plunge - Is anyone aware whether this issue (the crossfader cut level) been sorted for this unit? I've read that the fader can be swapped for something called the 'CF-X2' which I assume resolves the issue(?) - its really for doing crabs - but I can't seem to find a supplier or an upgrade path from any suppliers (UK).

Can anyone help?

Apologies if this has been discussed at length.

Any help gratefully received (before I part with the best part of £600!). Many thanks

FM.
kraal 4:01 PM - 7 April, 2011
the replacement fader may not be on shelves yet.
the fader is the same cut (vestax standard )
Kepik 4:09 PM - 7 April, 2011
^agree from what kraal wrote. I was told from a distributor, that June was the expected date
TheFreshmaker 4:13 PM - 7 April, 2011
That's great news - hopefully I'll be able to purchase it pre-installed. Frankly though, I'm amazed that the issue isn't sorted on the base unit - given its 'semi pro' status/price.

Thanks for your help guys.

Cheers

FM
kraal 4:14 PM - 7 April, 2011
Quote:
That's great news - hopefully I'll be able to purchase it pre-installed. Frankly though, I'm amazed that the issue isn't sorted on the base unit - given its 'semi pro' status/price.

Thanks for your help guys.

Cheers

FM

actually it is more of a preferance than a bug.... i know people that can cut like crazy on the standard set up