DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Custom Turntable Flight Case Modification

Soulsonica™ 3:25 AM - 2 October, 2008
Hey all - I've received a number of inquiries about the modification I did to my turntable flight cases, so here's a thread outlining what was done.

It was a real simple mod that has many advantages:
• Cables aren't wound up and kinked inside case were they can be damaged due to stress
• Power plug and RCA connectors aren't inside cases where they can move around and scratch TT's finish during transport
• External cables can be quickly swapped out in case one got damaged
• Since factory cables no longer drape over edge of case, lids can be quickly clamped on/off at a gig should area be needed during another DJs set (ie: CD decks)
• All cable lengths minimized
• Ground cables eliminated
• Decreased setup time
• Improved aesthetics

Before I did this mod, I upgraded the factory Technics RCA cables to high-grade cables, shortened length, and used high-grade female terminations instead of male. I chose female so that if I ever found myself in a situation where I had to use the TTs out of their cases or if the custom external cables couldn't be used, I would be able to simply plug on a set of standard RCA cables any length needed and run to a mixer. I also eliminated the pesky external ground wires by grounding them inside the TTs.

Power receptacle: Switchcraft EAC309
XLR receptacle: Switchcraft C3M

Inside the case, underneath the TTs, the power and XLR receptacles are each wired with short pigtails that plug into the TTs' cables via appropriate M/F terminations. This way TTs can quickly and easily be unplugged and removed from cases if ever required.

Lastly, I made a set of custom XLR to RCA cables that are just the right length for plugging into either my mixer or DVS interface.

Hope this helps for all who may be interested.

[img]i177.photobucket.com[/img]

balistikgelhed 3:32 AM - 2 October, 2008
Nice and clean! I don't really get the XLR to RCA thing, tho. Why not just use 1/4'' TS to RCA jacks?
DCM 3:40 AM - 2 October, 2008
seriously,
you're a genius.

If you don't mind me asking, how difficult is this to do if someone has a basic knowledge of soldering? also how much did this cost you per table?
Soulsonica™ 3:50 AM - 2 October, 2008
Quote:
Nice and clean! I don't really get the XLR to RCA thing, tho. Why not just use 1/4'' TS to RCA jacks?

A single XLR provides three conductors (L+/R+/Ground) which is required for splitting out into two RCAs (L/R).

A 1/4" TS only has two conductors and two separate jacks would've been needed.

A 1/4" TRS has three conductors and technically one could've been used (just like a single XLR), however the receptacle needed for a 1/4" TRS or TS jack is much deeper and I wanted to keep the protrusion inside the case as shallow as possible so it would not interfere the the TT chassis.

Finally, high-grade Neutrik XLR connectors have a locking mechanism which provides extra security from being pulled out at a gig when plugged into the jack. 1/4" plugs/jacks do not have this feature.
Soulsonica™ 3:56 AM - 2 October, 2008
Quote:
seriously,
you're a genius.

If you don't mind me asking, how difficult is this to do if someone has a basic knowledge of soldering? also how much did this cost you per table?

None of this is really difficult at all, however basic knowledge of soldering is a must of course. The most delicate part of the whole operation is the precision soldering that is required inside the TT should you decide to upgrade the factory wiring and/or perform the ground wire elimination mod.

Cost was around $100 for everything (all terminals, receptacle jacks, etc.)
DCM 4:59 AM - 2 October, 2008
thanks I'm going to look into doing this for my M5G's this weekend. do any mainstream stores have the terminals receptacle jacks ect, or do they come from the internet.
Liquidice 7:37 AM - 2 October, 2008
I am so doing this as well. Awesome idea Soulsonica. I am ALWAYS looking for new ways to decrease my setup/breakdown time. My current mods so far is I have my SSL box built in under my mixer in the foam of the case. All I see is a subtle glow of the blue light.. no connecting or disconnecting SSL1 box. Then I jsut have 1 simple usb cable running out of my mixer case. If you guys want to see picture I can post that up. I am looking to do the ground wire mod as well. M5G's here.. can't seem to get the platter off though
Soulsonica™ 4:27 PM - 2 October, 2008
Quote:
thanks I'm going to look into doing this for my M5G's this weekend. do any mainstream stores have the terminals receptacle jacks ect, or do they come from the internet.

No sweat.

Regarding the parts - I doubt these would be available at a typical brick/mortar retail store. I didn't even bother looking locally and just ordered them online from www.fullcompass.com

Hope this helps. Good luck and post some finished pics.
Soulsonica™ 4:29 PM - 2 October, 2008
Quote:
I am so doing this as well. Awesome idea Soulsonica. I am ALWAYS looking for new ways to decrease my setup/breakdown time. My current mods so far is I have my SSL box built in under my mixer in the foam of the case. All I see is a subtle glow of the blue light.. no connecting or disconnecting SSL1 box. Then I jsut have 1 simple usb cable running out of my mixer case. If you guys want to see picture I can post that up. I am looking to do the ground wire mod as well. M5G's here.. can't seem to get the platter off though

Just an FYI - You don't need (and really shouldn't) remove the platter for any of this. RCA replacement and ground wire mod is all handled underneath the TT by removing the feet, base, and access plate.
DJBIGWIZ 4:38 PM - 2 October, 2008
Really great job man. Thanks for sharing this.
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user_2.0 7:06 PM - 2 October, 2008
vary knice!
TheMightyThor 7:21 PM - 2 October, 2008
that is awesome, i'd pay someone to do that for be but i'd put the cable outputs on the other side so they don't hit my mixer. (battle style)
kid90nz 7:31 PM - 2 October, 2008
Dope. Nice job. Great idea with the L connectors for the XLRs.
Liquidice 8:35 PM - 2 October, 2008
Do you think it's possible I could work that XLR and power receptacle mod into these flight cases?

us.st12.yimg.com

They are a think alumnum or some kind of metal, just deciding if theirs enough of a wall to build them into. Also what did you use to make your holes and shape them?
Soulsonica™ 1:57 PM - 3 October, 2008
Quote:
Do you think it's possible I could work that XLR and power receptacle mod into these flight cases?

us.st12.yimg.com

They are a think alumnum or some kind of metal, just deciding if theirs enough of a wall to build them into. Also what did you use to make your holes and shape them?

Don't know because I'm not familiar with style case or the materials it uses. If it is just thinwall aluminum, a backing plate placed along inside wall might provide enough support for the sockets. You'll just have to do your homework on it.
Soulsonica™ 1:57 PM - 3 October, 2008
Note for anyone doing this: Don't use regular screws to mount the sockets because they can loosen and back out over times if cases are transported a lot. I recommend mounting socket housings by through-bolting them with high-grade stainless steel machine screws and nuts fitted with lock washers. This method will stay tight and secure during heavy use over long periods of time.
SiRocket 2:40 PM - 3 October, 2008
great stuff soul!!
Soulsonica™ 1:31 PM - 5 October, 2008
OK, so I've received a ton of PMs about this mod and one of the questions that keeps coming up is about the ground wire elimination. I want to clarify so there isn't any confusion that the TT's ground wire technically isn't "eliminated", it's simply re-routed so that it becomes grounded INSIDE the TT's chassis rather than extends outside the case as it did from the factory. This is a huge time saver during setup/teardown and cleans up the overall cable management. Anyway, there are a bunch of DIY instructions on the innerwebs outlining how to do this and here's a link to one of the many: www.electric-circus.net

Hope this helps.
a DJ 2:02 AM - 6 October, 2008
Wow great mod. When I have some time I would like to do this
Big Fred 10:29 PM - 6 October, 2008
Soulsonica where did you get the red and blue sleeves to cover the skinny wires on the rca cables
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:32 AM - 7 October, 2008
Quote:
that is awesome, i'd pay someone to do that for be but i'd put the cable outputs on the other side so they don't hit my mixer. (battle style)

I was waiting for someone (non EDM) to comment on a battle style mod.

looks pretty cool.
kid90nz 2:45 AM - 7 October, 2008
Not all EDM Djs play flat. I've always played "Battle Style" because I used to have a tiny amount of space to set my gear up on. I upset a few of the guys I spin with, because I always complain about having to spin the decks around before I play. :)
Soulsonica™ 2:01 PM - 7 October, 2008
Quote:
Soulsonica where did you get the red and blue sleeves to cover the skinny wires on the rca cables

Those are sleeves over skinny cables - they are actually the cables themselves. When I custom made the XLR to RCA cables I chose Canare's premium grade "Star Quad" series mic cable (link below) which is available in about 12 different jacket colors. I went with black for the XLR to junction section, and went with red (right) and blue (left) for the junction to RCAs. The RCA terminals are Canare's premium F10 model and the XLR terminals are Neutrik (links to both below). Hope this helps.

Cable: www.fullcompass.com

RCA terminals: www.fullcompass.com

XLR terminals: www.fullcompass.com
Soulsonica™ 2:03 PM - 7 October, 2008
Why the hell isn't there an edit feature on this forum? Good grief. Anyway, what I meant to say was "Those are NOT sleeves over skinny cables.."
Big Fred 2:39 PM - 7 October, 2008
Thanks
clore46 11:56 PM - 8 October, 2008
i did this to my cases last year until i got a coffin except i made a small plate with rca'a and a ground. I did the same for the power, works very well!!
Jesus Christ 1:04 AM - 9 October, 2008
This same concept worked great in my old KROM cases. I used the Neutrik 4-post Speakon cables to run the RCA's to the mixer. Great minds think alike. Great execution Soulsonica™.
Maskrider 10:51 AM - 10 October, 2008
Sticky this! Helpful Info.
Maskrider 10:53 AM - 10 October, 2008
Quote:
Not all EDM Djs play flat. I've always played "Battle Style" because I used to have a tiny amount of space to set my gear up on. I upset a few of the guys I spin with, because I always complain about having to spin the decks around before I play. :)

Same here and I do scratch every once in a while.
As-One 3:33 PM - 10 October, 2008
pretty sweet
stevieb 4:27 PM - 10 October, 2008
That is a very clean install. I did something similar with my coffin for my cd decks and mixer - I prefer Powercon over the power connector you used. The difference would be that the power would lock into place, similar to a Speakon cable.

Aside - it is really sweet. Great work
Soulsonica™ 9:57 PM - 13 October, 2008
Hey guys. Glad you all dig. A few people have PM'd about what's going on under the TTs with connectors and such so here's a peek at the guts. As you can see, decks can be simply lifted out and quickly unplugged if ever needed. Note the coiled ground wire should a scenario ever arise where the internal grounding mod not be compatible with someone else's mixer (again, to date this has yet to happen). Hope this helps anyone tackling these mods themselves.

dj_elite 11:05 PM - 13 October, 2008
Quote:
Hey guys. Glad you all dig. A few people have PM'd about what's going on under the TTs with connectors and such so here's a peek at the guts. As you can see, decks can be simply lifted out and quickly unplugged if ever needed. Note the coiled ground wire should a scenario ever arise where the internal grounding mod not be compatible with someone else's mixer (again, to date this has yet to happen). Hope this helps anyone tackling these mods themselves.

HOSA female RCA's? where'd you pick those up, if i may ask?
Soulsonica™ 5:23 AM - 14 October, 2008
Quote:

HOSA female RCA's? where'd you pick those up, if i may ask?

Those aren't HOSA female RCAs, they're either Switchcraft or Neutrik (can't remember which brand right now) on custom cables.

The HOSA you see are male RCA coming from the TT (replaced factory TT cables with them).
Maskrider 5:47 AM - 14 October, 2008
Soulsonica since you started it all can you post the things needed and where to get them in detail.

Thank you.
Soulsonica™ 4:14 PM - 14 October, 2008
Quote:
Soulsonica since you started it all can you post the things needed and where to get them in detail.

Thank you.

Cables: www.fullcompass.com

RCA M Connectors: www.fullcompass.com

RCA F Connectors: www.fullcompass.com

XLR F Connectors: www.fullcompass.com

XLR M Jacks: www.fullcompass.com

EAC M Jacks: www.alliedelec.com
Alexander 6:33 PM - 14 October, 2008
very nice work Soulsonica....the red and blue cable looks like Switchcraft cable. Did you just buy the cable and cut the connectors off the ends?
DJ GaFFle 7:11 PM - 14 October, 2008
Nice work.
DJ GaFFle 7:14 PM - 14 October, 2008
Quote:
...As you can see, decks can be simply lifted out and quickly unplugged if ever needed. Note the coiled ground wire should a scenario ever arise where the internal grounding mod not be compatible with someone else's mixer (again, to date this has yet to happen). Hope this helps anyone tackling these mods themselves.

So did you do the internal mod AND left extra ground wire in standard form for both scenararios?
Soulsonica™ 7:19 PM - 14 October, 2008
Quote:
very nice work Soulsonica....the red and blue cable looks like Switchcraft cable. Did you just buy the cable and cut the connectors off the ends?

Nope, it's raw Canare cable - available by the foot and in lots of different colors >> www.fullcompass.com
Soulsonica™ 7:23 PM - 14 October, 2008
Quote:
Quote:
...As you can see, decks can be simply lifted out and quickly unplugged if ever needed. Note the coiled ground wire should a scenario ever arise where the internal grounding mod not be compatible with someone else's mixer (again, to date this has yet to happen). Hope this helps anyone tackling these mods themselves.

So did you do the internal mod AND left extra ground wire in standard form for both scenararios?

Yes, it has both because having just the internal ground mod alone could cause a problem IF the mixer that the TTs are connected to happen to have RCA shields which are not connected to ground. This is extremely rare though as most, if not all modern mixers have common grounds configured this way. As a matter of fact, in all my years I don't recall ever encountering a mixer that isn't this way. Just in case though (no pun intended lol), I have a 3' section of terminated ground lead stashed inside each flight case underneath the decks should I ever find myself in that situation. Simply lift the decks, uncoil, and connect to mixer's chassis ground lug as normally done. Fully prepared, no probs.
Soulsonica™ 7:25 PM - 14 October, 2008
Still no edit function here. WTF, Why?!?!?! $#^%I**()*(&%^^$%$&

Anyway, that first sentence was supposed to be a question quoted from GaFFle.
Alexander 12:40 PM - 15 October, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Nope, it's raw Canare cable - available by the foot and in lots of different colors >> www.fullcompass.com

thanks for the info. looking to make some of my own RCAs for SSL box and possibly replace my TT RCAs while I do the ground mod.
DeezNotes 6:47 AM - 24 October, 2008
Good job!
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:20 PM - 24 October, 2008
That is awesome. I want to do something like that when I get my new amps.
DJ GaFFle 3:30 PM - 24 October, 2008
Hats off to Soulsonica for this mod. If it wasn't for me getting the NS7 down the road, I'd do it. I'll simply be keeping my 12's and 57 in the basement.
DJ Young Herrera 3:53 PM - 24 October, 2008
Very dope. You gave me some ideas for my coffin. Kudos.
djphilly 5:00 AM - 25 October, 2008
great work! thumbs up
dead serious 9:57 PM - 25 October, 2008
freakin sweet
Soulsonica™ 8:58 AM - 26 October, 2008
Glad you guys/gals dig and hope your own case mods turn out sweet for you. You'll love the benefits. Good luck ;-)
Soulsonica™ 7:23 PM - 3 March, 2009
Got a few inquiries about how to actually wire this mod, so here's a quick schematic detailing how the power, grounding and signal are all handled. Hope this helps.

i177.photobucket.com
soon-2-be-ex-FS2user_2.0 10:39 AM - 9 March, 2009
Quote:
Got a few inquiries about how to actually wire this mod, so here's a quick schematic detailing how the power, grounding and signal are all handled. Hope this helps.

i177.photobucket.com

hellows

i do it for follows butt mines DMX cuntroller blue up a smoke
Soulsonica™ 1:44 PM - 9 March, 2009
Quote:
hellows

Sorry, not understanding what you're saying here. Please clarify and I'll try to help.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:07 PM - 9 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
hellows

Sorry, not understanding what you're saying here. Please clarify and I'll try to help.

i think its a cry for help
DJ Young Herrera 8:59 PM - 9 March, 2009
he's foreign. its ok.
Soulsonica™ 7:44 PM - 10 March, 2009
If someone can translate I'd be glad to help. Not sure what "DMX" has to do with any of this, but the word "smoke" can't be good.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:12 PM - 10 March, 2009
I think hes saying he does people wiring but the DMX lighting controller he wired blew up......how do you blow up a lighting controller??
SiRocket 8:12 PM - 10 March, 2009
LMAO!!! im dead over here... LOL
Soulsonica™ 8:33 PM - 10 March, 2009
Good grief. :facepalm: lol
djrob-e-rob 9:17 PM - 10 March, 2009
soulsonica...can you explain how you cut the holes...mostly the hole for the EAC cable, since i guess it wouldn't be a circle...
djrob-e-rob 9:20 PM - 10 March, 2009
also i think this would be a cool cover for the XLR part

www.canford.co.uk
Soulsonica™ 2:30 PM - 11 March, 2009
Quote:
soulsonica...can you explain how you cut the holes...mostly the hole for the EAC cable, since i guess it wouldn't be a circle...

Round holes = Drill bit, step-type Unibit, or hole saw.

Non-round holes = Dremel tool (a must have item for any toolbox)
Soulsonica™ 2:35 PM - 11 March, 2009
Quote:
also i think this would be a cool cover for the XLR part

www.canford.co.uk

When I ordered the parts for these mods I do remember seeing hinged rubber/plastic caps that were offered by Neutrik (link below) and/or Switchcraft that were specifically made for these terminals. I passed on them though because I was concerned about how thick they were and that they might not allow the flight cases to rest flat on surfaces on their ball corners. As it is right now, the terminals never touch the ground because their profiles are very low and the cases' heavy duty metal ball corners are all the cases rest on. These are personal decks though which are never exposed to harmful elements anyway and the way I figured it was all my other gear has exposed connections and they have never had a problem. Good idea though for anyone else who may be concerned about exposure and could use caps in their design.

www.neutrik.com
Turn Table Tennis 2:37 AM - 12 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
hellows

he used to have a following, but DMX was being a cunt and hit him with the blue smoke. now he has a twitch and thinks something is sitting on his shoulder.

sorry soon-2-be, i had to go there.
Soulsonica™ 3:34 PM - 12 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
hellows

he used to have a following, but DMX was being a cunt and hit him with the blue smoke. now he has a twitch and thinks something is sitting on his shoulder.

sorry soon-2-be, i had to go there.

I'm beyond confused now. lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:02 PM - 12 March, 2009
I think that one was an attempt at humor....
Alexander 4:56 PM - 31 March, 2009
Soulsonica how did you make that XLR to RCA cable.
Culprit 7:58 PM - 2 April, 2009
www.laloud.com

Will be adding that mod to my new project
marknonsense1 7:46 AM - 3 April, 2009
Nice! This is what I need once I get my M5Gs. I don't feel like doing the work. Are there any pro shops who would do this in cali?
Culprit 6:47 PM - 3 April, 2009
I put up the finishing pictures of this case. I had my shop do this one. This is pretty much what I do all day is build cases for high end products. This one will be patented, but is not complicated to replicate at all.

www.laloud.com

I still want to impliment two main outputs from Soulsonica's design possibly above the power input, or mabey rerouted toward either backing side of the turntables, I have not made a final decision on this.

There is alot of good case companies who can do this (besides mine). Google Search is your best friend =]
DeezNotes 7:27 PM - 3 April, 2009
I'm sure they exist, but how difficult is it to find a male to male power cable? Plus I think the 90 degree [vertical] corners would bother me with the turntables down so far in the case. I'd probably like to have fluent access to the start/stop button and 45 adapter areas.
Culprit 7:30 PM - 3 April, 2009
Quote:
I'm sure they exist, but how difficult is it to find a male to male power cable? Plus I think the 90 degree [vertical] corners would bother me with the turntables down so far in the case. I'd probably like to have fluent access to the start/stop button and 45 adapter areas.

Defenitly, but standing in the middle of the case I have no access problems to the start/stop buttons.
Culprit 7:32 PM - 3 April, 2009
I forgot to mention also that I use a very common extension cable into the case [www.homedepot.com]
DeezNotes 7:34 PM - 3 April, 2009
Yeah.. I'm just speaking for myself. And I'm a sloppy, careless type of DJ. I remember at this one radio station the tables were under a countertop kind of deal where the edge was right near the on/off switch. My hand would crash into the corner all crippled-like and somehow hit the on/off switch. Such a horrible design at that place..
DeezNotes 7:35 PM - 3 April, 2009
Quote:
I forgot to mention also that I use a very common extension cable into the case [www.homedepot.com]

But the case looks like it has a female connector... how does it plug into it's power source?
Jesus Christ 7:43 PM - 3 April, 2009
You're better off with a locking plug that someone walking by couldn't easily unplug. www.onestopbuy.com
Culprit 7:46 PM - 3 April, 2009
hmm, thats a male plug, in the picture it looks like a female but its not.

[i15.ebayimg.com]
Culprit 7:50 PM - 3 April, 2009
Quote:
You're better off with a locking plug that someone walking by couldn't easily unplug. www.onestopbuy.com

I have tons of those in the shop too, but i wanted something I can change out with my lighting setups, so I am not tied down to using one or two custom made power cords. I can interchange these with the extension cords I use with my lights at any gigs.

But I will say, this is defenitly a better choice over the male flanged inlet I am using here.
DeezNotes 7:55 PM - 3 April, 2009
Quote:
hmm, thats a male plug, in the picture it looks like a female but its not.

[i15.ebayimg.com]

Oh. Well that's wassup then! Carry on.
Jesus Christ 8:02 PM - 3 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

I have tons of those in the shop too, but i wanted something I can change out with my lighting setups, so I am not tied down to using one or two custom made power cords. I can interchange these with the extension cords I use with my lights at any gigs.

But I will say, this is defenitly a better choice over the male flanged inlet I am using here.

Wouldn't you be better off spending a few bucks and having the ends changed on your lights? I know it may become a pain in the ass, but you only need one gender-changer per device and then you can have a boatload of 220v extension cords for everything else.
DeezNotes 8:11 PM - 3 April, 2009
A buddy of mine uses speakon connectors for power and color codes the connectors for speakers vs. power. I like that.
Culprit 8:17 PM - 3 April, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Wouldn't you be better off spending a few bucks and having the ends changed on your lights? I know it may become a pain in the ass, but you only need one gender-changer per device and then you can have a boatload of 220v extension cords for everything else.

Hmm, would be more than a few bucks, i think my price the plugs are $10 a piece. For the lights, yeah no problem, but then to convert over all my extension cables, that would be a lot of work. It would defenitly be worth it tho.

Quote:
A buddy of mine uses speakon connectors for power and color codes the connectors for speakers vs. power. I like that.

Speakon is good, I have no experience with their power connectors. I trust hubbell products. I have been using their products for about 10 years now.
uno seis 5:24 AM - 29 July, 2010
bump. this is awesome.
DJ506 6:23 AM - 29 July, 2010
Nice :)
Manny Rize 7:53 AM - 29 July, 2010
thats dope..you need your own company and distribute these to the masses
The Return of Dj Sparky 9:46 AM - 29 July, 2010
great mod but I couldn't bring myself round to cut into my new road ready cases,
very tempted though.
thames 2:07 PM - 17 May, 2011
Cool
Muy bueno. exelente aporte .
Pura Vida...
DJ Young Herrera 3:32 PM - 17 May, 2011
Here's a question, does everything really need to be soldered? Couldn't you just use high quality terminals and connectors to accomplish the same thing? I mean, I do it all the time for car audio installs...
DJ Young Herrera 2:40 PM - 20 May, 2011
Bump.

Bueller?....
uno seis 9:24 PM - 20 May, 2011
YH, can you link to some of the terminals and connectors that you think would work?
Cuervo 11:45 PM - 5 December, 2012
Great job, just what i was looking for...