Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

ITCH and VCI300? My Tip? DON'T BUY IT

Jacob dutton 3:52 PM - 27 September, 2008
Not only has it cost me £600 for an average controller but it has cos me thousands in cancelled gigs.

Itch is the most poorly produced software I have ever come accross with so many bugs and problems it is untrue! Three songs into a set the whole thing crashes and the VCI 300 becomes unresponsive. The data light stays on solid and the deck shines bright red meaning that i can't cue anything up or mix.

SERATOS ANSWER: Your keyboard should still work.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH...I SHOULDNT HAVE TO RELY ON IT!!

I am not the only person who has had this problem. If you are looking to invest in a VCI 300...run like the wind. It has caused me NOTHING but headaches and cost me thousands.

STAY AWAY!
soulfool 4:20 PM - 27 September, 2008
Feelin ur pain man,

does seem like lots of people are havin trble with small issues.I havnt even bought the vci 300 yet but will def be getting it,

had loads trbl with other software in past and luckily i had my cdj's there to safe the night.

How ever my friend i woulod encourage you to be constructive with the feedback all it takes is one inconsistancy spotted and people are wary of scaremongering!

I refer to your'e claim of payin £600 for the vci, at best an exageration, majority of stores are a straight 499 buddy with free p&p!

I think its because of previou experience that i've waited to buy the unit man, only a guess, but i would say the marketin g plan on the vestax was designed to minimise upset, not all stores have them yet and some only got short supply!

Look at how quick serato got the beta update released! i guess once its proper then ul see a flood of them hit shops!

This sort technology needs customer feedback man, to make it what it is, or becomes, (solid, dependable).

Experience tells me man, if ur gonna buy it straight away use it only at home for a good month or so, if ur a pro and have lost "thousands" as you say on this controller crashing on you think about it man! you may be rakin it in on the gigs but that dont make u a pro, professional is an attitude man.

Understand ur pissed man but persevere and be patient.
Jacob dutton 4:27 PM - 27 September, 2008
Its not about being constructive, its about serato getting the bare basics right! Im not talking about knobs i cant see in the dark cos the lights are too bright or poor headphone quality I'm talking about the fact that their USB controller software ultimately controls nothing because it just stops dead.

I will go back to CDJ's and with regards to you bringing my professionalism into disrepute I think maybe we are just both different people...i expect to buy something off the shelf and for it to work and do what it says on the tin...this heap of junk doesn't.

End of.
DeezNotes 4:52 PM - 27 September, 2008
The forums are here to "help." You have a problem that *some* people have (not everyone). Me personally, I would help to resolve the problem or if I was at the other end of it, I'd let someone help me. It doesn't appear that you want help.

As for losing money on a gig because you don't have equipment... that's another discussion. If your attitude changes and you decide to allow us to help with your problem, we'll be here.
kue 12:12 AM - 28 September, 2008
I have not had any problems with my VCI 300 and that's just not me being a fanboy.

And I've used to for lots of club gigs where equipment has been an issue and I couldn't use my SL box. I always bring my VCI as a backup if the equipment is less than stellar.

Just my two cents.
DJ Xio 5:16 PM - 28 September, 2008
I've had the VCI-300 since before it came out in the US... About 12 gigs on it, perfect through... Not one crash, not one issue... Sorry bro, u probably got a deffective unit!
Serato
Pene 9:43 PM - 28 September, 2008
Jacob dutton,
just to be clear, we have asked about whether the keyboard still works in order to narrow down what is causing the problem, not because we think this is a viable solution. We are very concerned that some users are experiencing this and are trying to work out the cause of this.

Any feedback you can give us about your system that might help diagnose the problem would be much appreciated :)
nik39 12:09 AM - 29 September, 2008
Quote:
I will go back to CDJ's and with regards to you bringing my professionalism into disrepute I think maybe we are just both different people...i expect to buy something off the shelf and for it to work and do what it says on the tin...this heap of junk doesn't.

Actually it is not very professional that you buy new gear, while you have already commited gigs and you do not have a backup plan and you have to cancel your gigs! Would you buy a new guitar, then without properly testing it, would you take it to a gig without a backup plan?

Does not make much sense. As a professional DJ who earns "thousands" with gigs - this is a no-no.

However, I feel your pain that you paid for something and it doesn't work as you expect it to do. But then... Serato is already trying to help you... Anyway, that's what I would do: Wait until this issue can be reproduced and be fixed, then you should take it to a gig. Cause IMHO it is worth it.
DJ MDX 12:28 AM - 29 September, 2008
Ditto on what nik39 said - I was like WTF, you lost "Thousands" & no back up system.

A professional DJ must always have a back up - it is just smart business.

I understand your frustration and hope things get sorted for you but you really must reevaluate your business contingency plans - so you don't lose or cancel business.

There really was no need to cancel - even an inexpensive back up rig would have gotten you through.

Good luck.
DeezNotes 2:40 AM - 29 September, 2008
Thanks nik. I just didn't have it in me to say. lol
freshpies5 11:47 AM - 29 September, 2008
I don't think there's anything more to add regarding cancelled gigs and backup equipment - looks like its all been said already.

Anyone reading this who is considering buying a VCI 300, I would advise to dismiss some of the comments made by Mr Dutton. I have used mine at a couple of gigs now (5 hour sets) without so much as a glitch. Sure, there are small issues that have already been mentioned which would improve the unit + software (clearer knob markings, channel level meter on screen etc.) but I'm guessing the problems with crashing are not actually Serato's fault.

I have had a fair bit of experience with USB equipment having worked on a technical helpdesk and there is a lot which can go wrong which people tend to blame on dodgy USB devices or drivers. Admittedly if you have a new piece of equipment which is not working it is natural to assume it is the problem. However, in most cases it seems to be power management (especially laptops), incorrect drivers for the USB ports, or other programs/services running in the background which cause these issues.

Personally, I would recommend the VCI 300 - it is solidly built, has good sound quality and if it is anything like Scratch should be a lot more reliable than any of the alternatives out there. Maybe I have just been lucky with both systems?
Jacob dutton 12:00 PM - 29 September, 2008
Quote:
Sure, there are small issues that have already been mentioned which would improve the unit + software (clearer knob markings, channel level meter on screen etc.)

Being unable to cue up a track and an unresponsive controller is hards a small issue is it? I'd say that being able to mix two tracks on a USB controller using DJ software is pretty f*****g integral son.
antonborisov 12:36 PM - 29 September, 2008
Quote:

Being unable to cue up a track and an unresponsive controller is hards a small issue is it? I'd say that being able to mix two tracks on a USB controller using DJ software is pretty f*****g integral son.

You really bore me with all this nonconstructive critic and all. Could you please start a separate thread and find vent for you angry there? Ok, we all know that some units could crush under certain conditions. You choice is to return a unit, to help Serato team track this problem down or, probably the best for all, is to shut the f**k up and stop pulling. Sorry, nothing personal.
Jacob dutton 12:46 PM - 29 September, 2008
But im not getting any contructive help from anyone! I posted in the help section already and just get asked questions as delay tactics.
sheeno 1:07 PM - 29 September, 2008
Quote:
But im not getting any contructive help from anyone!

Maybe its because your attitude sucks mate?

Your post smells of a cheap attempt to discredit the software and controller to me...
Jacob dutton 1:11 PM - 29 September, 2008
I shouldnt have to kiss arse, Im the customer 'mate'
DeezNotes 5:37 PM - 29 September, 2008
Quote:
But im not getting any contructive help from anyone! I posted in the help section already and just get asked questions as delay tactics.

Maybe.... just MAYBE... when someone asks you a question about your problem, they're trying to help narrow down the issue to assist in resolving it (especially when you don't provide explicit details on the issue and your current setup)?
Jacob dutton 6:32 PM - 29 September, 2008
Its the same as everyone else who has the same problem with this, its ridiculous.
nik39 6:39 PM - 29 September, 2008
Quote:
I posted in the help section already and just get asked questions as delay tactics.

... how should they help you without asking any questions?
Ever been to a doctor? He will ask you .. does this hurt? Any problems here? What about that.

Do you think the doctor is able to help you if you visit him and just say "Ouch".?
Jacob dutton 6:48 PM - 29 September, 2008
ok the RIGHT deck locks up, the data light says solid red and the controller becomes unresponsive...it happens on every track about 1 minute into it. I have to turn off the controller then turn it back on.

The left deck is fine, just the right. Other people have had the same problem. I just want some contructive help with this. I appreciate that i may not have gone about it the right way but Im just gutted, couldnt wait to get the product and just had problems with it since.
DJCheLu 12:01 AM - 30 September, 2008
I have used mine for about 5 gigs now and not had any major problems, just the microphone thing. I even used to beta 1.0.4 live for a five hour gig last friday and no problems at all.

With laptop djing is is essential to have a good running laptop, try searching for windows or mac audio tips and tricks and see if that helps. i know running all the Xp audio tweaks helped my laptop A LOT :)
1000 Cutts 9:06 PM - 30 September, 2008
My tip is buy buy buy the VCI-300, it is awesome (not for 600 bar though - that is steep!). Only just turned from vinyl and I am amazed at the latency and responsiveness of the hardware and software. My only issues have been:

1. Unable to delete tracks from itch library (but this has been resolved by ensuring that my file vault is kept up to date);
2. My mac occasionally doesn't pick up the VCI-300 and I cannot load tracks (again this seems to have stopped since running my file vault every time I shut down);
3) the EQ is tricky and takes some getting used to;
4) the mic issue (but I play house so no big-ups required)
5) the recording eq needs improving - its too small and difficult to see

Even after a good deal of testing I would not take only a VCI-300 to a club with nothing else, I always check that I can wire through an external mixer (helps with the 'no booth' issue) and make sure a CDJ or vinyl deck is through the other channel on the mixer.

airdrawn 11:05 PM - 1 October, 2008
agreed with nik39, using version 1 software on a gig that pays 1000s is crazy. i started using SSL at 1.5, and even then i did loads of soft runs at free parties or set up at home to stress test the system.

heck if was getting 1000s per gig i'm not sure i'd trust any computer, i'd probably burn off some cd's and dj with cdj's. when you're playing at that level, failure could spell the end of your career and livelyhood.
Soulsonica™ 3:38 AM - 2 October, 2008
Quote:
agreed with nik39, using version 1 software on a gig that pays 1000s is crazy. i started using SSL at 1.5, and even then i did loads of soft runs at free parties or set up at home to stress test the system.

heck if was getting 1000s per gig i'm not sure i'd trust any computer, i'd probably burn off some cd's and dj with cdj's. when you're playing at that level, failure could spell the end of your career and livelyhood.

Agreed on extensive test runs, optimizing, homeworks, etc. - but technically CDJs are basically a computer as well and I've seen many, many, many more crash and burns happen during sets on CDJs vs. those performed on proper computers. As a matter of fact, I myself have never experienced a computer problem on a Mac running SL (3+ years now) nor have I ever seen any other DJ using SL who has their stuff together have a problem either. Either format can be just as finicky if things are skimped on. Just food for thought.
Serato
Dylan W 5:17 AM - 2 October, 2008
Hey Jacob,

I'm sorry to hear you've had a less than ideal initial experience with ITCH and the VCI 300. It does seem from the information that you have provided that you may have had some kind of hardware fault with the unit you received.

I've spoken with Vestax and we would like to try and get you a replacement VCI before november, it has been very popular and is heavily backordered but I hope we can prioritize getting you a replacement much sooner.

If you email the Vestax service center nearest you and cc dylan@serato.com and michael@serato.com in, we will make sure it is dealt with with the highest priority. Please mention your forum username and the fact that you have been posting in the ITCH 1.0.4 public beta area.

Thanks
Dylan

The contact points for Vestax support are

------------------------------------------------------------
1) Unites States (N.America)
Vestax Corporation USA
ATTN: Charles Akira Ono
800 S.Pacific Coast Highway Suite 8-187
Redondo Beach, CA
USA
tel: +1-323-230-7634
fax: +1-323-230-8646
email: charles@vestax.jp

2) Europe
Vestax Service Europe
ATTN: Gerfried Fischer
Rheinstr. 213
53332 Bornheim
Germany
Tel. +492222 952372
Fax +492222 952374
email: Vestaxde@aol.com

3) Japan (Asia/Oceania)
Vestax Corporation
ATTN: Takaki Tarama
1-18-6 Wakabayashi, Setagaya- Ku
Tokyo
Japan 154-0023
Telephone: +81. 03.3412.7011
Fax: +81. 03.3412.7013
email: tarama@vestaxjp and charles@vestax.jp
peterwo2e 10:40 PM - 8 October, 2010
Quote:
Not only has it cost me £600 for an average controller but it has cos me thousands in cancelled gigs.

Itch is the most poorly produced software I have ever come accross with so many bugs and problems it is untrue! Three songs into a set the whole thing crashes and the VCI 300 becomes unresponsive. The data light stays on solid and the deck shines bright red meaning that i can't cue anything up or mix.

SERATOS ANSWER: Your keyboard should still work.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH...I SHOULDNT HAVE TO RELY ON IT!!

I am not the only person who has had this problem. If you are looking to invest in a VCI 300...run like the wind. It has caused me NOTHING but headaches and cost me thousands.

STAY AWAY!

wow thats rough but i had my vci-300 for about 4 years now and never had any real concerns, i have a pentium 4 gateway 1gb ram 100gb hd and is old but itch never gave me any problems during my gigs. how ever i did clean out my laptop reformat the hd and use it just for music, and it had work excellent for years,
the best investment i had made in my mobile dj career.
good luck.
Rebelguy 12:02 AM - 9 October, 2010
Quote:

wow thats rough but i had my vci-300 for about 4 years now and never had any real concerns,

It was only released in 2008.
JDforKing 7:30 AM - 9 October, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

wow thats rough but i had my vci-300 for about 4 years now and never had any real concerns,

It was only released in 2008.

LMFAO
seratosnatch 9:56 AM - 9 October, 2010
weird..for me, my VCI-300 and Itch 1.5 is solid as a rock.
temporal 5:19 PM - 9 October, 2010
I have one of the early units, and still works PERFECT. The knobs are softer, and the plates more responsive. A few people got defective units, and Serato and Vestax organized them to be replaced. I suggest you follow Dylan´s instructions, get a new one, and stop contaminating forums with your negativity, son.
TFRASER 3:08 PM - 10 October, 2010
no problem here i,m loving it been using it since since the first generation now i have the mk2 and i,m still good they have been a few bumps in the road but with some help from the forum and just basic common sense we were able to work it out.
JDforKing 6:14 PM - 10 October, 2010
Quote:
no problem here i,m loving it been using it since since the first generation now i have the mk2 and i,m still good they have been a few bumps in the road but with some help from the forum and just basic common sense we were able to work it out.

I had the first generation too but ran into some problems that i couldn't fix. I was thinking about getting the MK2 but im not sure if the same problems may occur. IF you don't mind can i ask what problems you're currently having with your vci 300mk2
TFRASER 9:15 PM - 10 October, 2010
no probs right now the problem i was having was with the first generation the mk2 is crazy no problems at all right now will keep you guys up to date
seratosnatch 9:54 PM - 10 October, 2010
In general the VCI-300 and Vestax are quite famous for it's quality and high standards.
For me this post is not on target. Many well satisfied users here, so why would
someone believe this thread. Every technical thing made is bound to have some that
have issues, so as Dylan said, sort it out. What better response can you get?
Now get yourself sorted so you can jam and be happy! ..
Maskrider 11:37 PM - 10 October, 2010
VCI300 is a very reliable Hardware never had a problem with it.....I'm djing every week and that's all I carry around on my Dj bag with my laptop in it.

I think the guy that started this thread has a Shitty laptop.
I1Kirm 4:48 AM - 11 October, 2010
Come on guys... The thread was started 25 months ago and according to Serato the problems were caused by a faulty early VCI MKI. Just give it a rest... Back then both hardware and software were still very new and problems were bound to happen.
JDforKing 11:33 AM - 11 October, 2010
Quote:
VCI300 is a very reliable Hardware never had a problem with it.....I'm djing every week and that's all I carry around on my Dj bag with my laptop in it.

I think the guy that started this thread has a Shitty laptop.

I must have gotten a bad refurbished one because i djed from 4 to 5 times a week with mine and ended up having sensitivity platter problems 10 months into having my unit. If you google problems with my vci 300 most of the post and responses you see arent from 2 yrs ago, people are currently having problems with their units too. And the problems have nothing to do with their computer, its definitely the hardware. Im not saying all the units are bad, but lets not act like the vci 300 is a perfect piece of hardware.
kraal 7:17 PM - 11 October, 2010
you can google problems with anything from dj equipment to refridgerators... you will always find complaints. that doesn't mean not to buy something
seratosnatch 7:41 PM - 11 October, 2010
+1 Kraal..
name me anything made that will not have a problem or complaint.
kraal 7:54 PM - 11 October, 2010
the point is serato and vestax and americansoundandmusic has gone over and above on customer service on repairing and replacing problem issues and units.... i trust them enough to say go ahead and purchase a vci-300
KLH 11:14 PM - 12 October, 2010
Agreed. Check out the date of the first post and lets let this one go away...

-KLH
bigdik magee 1:09 AM - 13 October, 2010
So I should feel pretty good then owning a NS7? I actually was thinking of getting a VCI also... Thought it would be neat to have the smaller unit for smaller gigs.

This thread isn't very comforting though...

-BDM
wadup 2:44 AM - 13 October, 2010
Just got the vci-300 mk2 today.. Must say I'm really having a good time with it. Need to pick up the power adapter tomorrow to test the output
kraal 2:46 AM - 13 October, 2010
Quote:
So I should feel pretty good then owning a NS7? I actually was thinking of getting a VCI also... Thought it would be neat to have the smaller unit for smaller gigs.

This thread isn't very comforting though...

-BDM

there are a lot more dont get an ns7 threads .... u decide
bigdik magee 3:51 AM - 13 October, 2010
yah, yah yah.... heard that. I really wish we could just get some more effects, but thats for another thread I suppose. -BDM