Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Selecting Multiple Crates

DeezNotes 1:04 AM - 7 January, 2006
There are times where I would like to play Hip Hop and R&B in the same set. It would be nice to select both crates to have all songs within one view (viewing as one crate).

The browse option allows you to brose certain generes, but if your genere doesn't match the crate, your tracks won't be displayed. Furthermore, you have more display space if you could just CTRL-click multiple crates and have the full view of your crate listing. Veritcal display space is important for those of us on short widescreen displays. ;)
dj smiley 01 1:34 AM - 7 January, 2006
It would be a great feature becuase when im at home trying to make remixes it would make it easier.
DJ 3pm 1:51 AM - 8 January, 2006
that would be nice. i have smart playlists set-up in itunes for 'instrumental', 'clean', and 'acapella'. it would be nice to just select those 3 and be ready for a radio show.
DeezNotes 3:31 PM - 18 January, 2006
Bump.
DeezNotes 12:42 AM - 30 January, 2006
Bump part 2, electric boogaloo.

Come on yall, I KNOW we're not the only ones who want this??
Idlemind1999 4:40 PM - 1 February, 2006
YES!!! and while you are at it...

I play freeform (no clue what I'm gonna play til i get there) and I'd like not only to select more than one crate.. but in the BROWSE section... I'd like to be able to hold down the CTRL button and select more than one Genre, BPM, or Artist. Then I wouldnt find my self crawling thru my tunes one BPM at a time looking for the next random thing I want to play (and having to just pick anything because my time is running out)
DeezNotes 6:49 PM - 1 February, 2006
That's how I DJ as well. I have a small widescreen monitor, so I never use the browse feature since it takes up a little too much real estate on my monitor.

Being able to select multiple crates will let me just sort those [selected] crates by BPM, Artist or whatever without messing up the "flow" by jumping around in the crates.
BassChamber 9:55 AM - 2 February, 2006
agreed, seems to be a nice and easy to implement feature...
DeezNotes 2:34 PM - 10 March, 2006
Bump. I want this. Post if you want it too.
Osiris 3:38 AM - 20 March, 2006
BUMP! Nice idea!
djtrackie 12:09 AM - 23 March, 2006
GREAT IDEA
Fusion 1:09 AM - 29 March, 2006
This is one of the best ideas yet. I agree 100% Especially for radio dj's and those of us who go everywhere.
djdsk 4:19 PM - 29 March, 2006
Its a great idea selecting multiple crates , i like it . Would be great for me , especialy with sub crates as well .:)
LaJollaDJs 12:01 AM - 5 April, 2006
I think that this is possible if you use the folders feature in iTunes. In iTunes, you can create folders and place playlists within them. In Serato, these folders show up as playlists that include all songs from the playlists that it contains.
DeezNotes 5:14 AM - 28 April, 2006
Sam,
Please update the Feature Suggestion Index with the correct link.
DeezNotes 7:11 PM - 26 May, 2006
bump.
nik39 2:52 AM - 27 May, 2006
I finally co sign. It helps when you start to re-organize your crates.
spirez 5:18 PM - 28 May, 2006
Good idea
SpinThis! 5:35 PM - 15 September, 2006
Subcrates should be able to take care of part of this...
DeezNotes 7:04 PM - 15 September, 2006
Quote:
Subcrates should be able to take care of part of this...

How so? To me, subcrates is the opposite of this idea. Subcrates will allow you to drill down to a more specific set of files. Selecting multiple crates will allow you to expand your main view of songs.
J.J. 12:36 AM - 16 September, 2006
I just posted this in the SUBCRATE suggestions. This should kill two birds with one stone. Then again, you may want to mix something completely different not in the subcrates, but in different crates all together. In this case, ALT SELECT would combine all songs in selected crate.

I would also like to view all the subcrates songs under the main crate...

HIP-HOP crate
|-R&B subcrate
|-Old School subcrate
|-Rap subcrate
DANCE crate
|-Trance subcrate
|-80's subcrate
|-House subcrate

When you click on HIP-HOP crate, ALL the songs under that including all the subcrate should be visible. Similar to how clicking "ALL" works for all the crates. Now where is Key Lock? :-)
DeezNotes 5:33 AM - 16 September, 2006
Quote:
I just posted this in the SUBCRATE suggestions. This should kill two birds with one stone. Then again, you may want to mix something completely different not in the subcrates, but in different crates all together. In this case, ALT SELECT would combine all songs in selected crate.

Right. I thought about this afterwards too... its purpose would be to select crates outside of your "main" crate.
Funky T 3:11 AM - 18 September, 2006
Bump.
SpinThis! 8:37 PM - 18 September, 2006
As much as I like this idea, here's a couple pitfalls from a programming and user standpoint that I'm sure Serato is contemplating as well:

1) Sort order. When multiple crates are selected, how would those tracks stack up? A lot of people stick their songs and crates in certain orders. If you have one sorted by bpm and another by artist, which would you use? Or would the crates just get added one right after the other? After you select this combination a number of times, you probably want the program to remember "when this and that crate are both selected, sort by this." Then you start reinventing the wheel... (For those who knock iTunes this is a perfect example of its power and using smart playlists.)

2) Importing tracks. If you're not on the All crate, does the track import and automatically get placed in all the multiple crates you selected? Power users might argue you can drag directly to each crate but most people will have multiple crates and can easily misdrop, not the crate they selected since the target is so small (compared to dropping "into" the current crate view).
DeezNotes 10:59 PM - 18 September, 2006
I'm not sure I understand the 2nd one.

The first one... I can understand the logic in it. Would it make sense to sort by the default sort order - default being the "All" crate?
KMXE 4:03 AM - 19 September, 2006
co-sign
DJ BIS 9:40 AM - 21 September, 2006
This is excellent. SSL's search and browse features need to be amped-up! Multiple selection of anything, sub-folders, and a iTunes like behavior would be awesome.

BUMP!
Thundercat 3:16 PM - 6 May, 2007
Re-Bump. +1
Evil_banana 3:14 PM - 18 May, 2007
+1... ALSO for the Browse-section.
Jeffsteez 4:58 PM - 18 May, 2007
+1

I think the crate system could use a revamp in general. As DJ Bis says - Itunes style behavior with the crates would be handy.
Idlemind1999 5:37 PM - 31 July, 2007
Or make smart crates... (crates that check certain folders to see if there were changes)
khy 4:17 PM - 29 October, 2007
needed this feature for ages, don't know why it isnt included. importing in windows file structure would be good too, so sub crates are automatically created...
DeezNotes 2:11 PM - 25 July, 2009
Bump for Akiem ;-)
Santhush 10:57 AM - 19 January, 2011
I recently posted the same request a week or so back, looks like this is something that people have been asking since 2006, it's 2011 and I'm wondering why this feature has not been implemented! :-(

I had Serato lying around for almost 3 years at home before I started using it simply because I found what I was used to (CD's) and how I had the sets layed out to be must easier for me.

However, after playing around with Serato for almost 3 years I finally switched, what I found to be very powerful with Serato was the ability to view your music is multiple dimensions. This broughts out tracks I didn't even think would mix together!!!! I missed the hot starts which are on the Denons at first, I still DO BUT I found a way to work around it.

I seriously hope you guys consider adding this feature in the future releases so we could further view our music in multiple dimentions without having to move files around or crates around.

Hot starts like Denons would be a nice add on as well :-D
AKIEM 1:17 AM - 20 January, 2011
Quote:
Bump for Akiem ;-)

thanks! but not too much, Im trying to cut down on the coke
DeezNotes 3:27 AM - 20 January, 2011
bump? that's old school. like reefer.
AKIEM 4:14 AM - 20 January, 2011
reefer? hahaa
thats what my dad called it "you better not let me catch you smkokin that reefers"
I do remember dealers rolling up joints for you tho

how about a key, or toot?
I dont know what they call it nowaday

all I know is we need to be able to select more then one crate please
DJ BIS 9:50 AM - 22 January, 2011
this is still a big deal to me (selecting multiple folders). Another huge annoyance, and this is just me and the way I organize music:

ABILITY TO ADD DUPLICATES TO A CRATE! And ALLOW iTunes duplicates to show in SSL!

I use certain MP3's as "crate breakers" or "spacers" in order to create just that, a space or break in a crate with sets that I have put together, for example this is what my library can look like sometimes j/k (the song with all the dashes is the "spacer" or "breaker"):

Song Artist BPM Comment

Believe.mp3 Cher 120
Awful song.mp3 Backstreet Boys 98
---------------------------.mp3 ----------------------------------------------- 00 -------------------
Show Opener.mp3 DJ Deejay 130
Girlie Song.mp3 Flavor of the Week Artist 118
Seriously?.mp3 That Girl That Sings Out of Tune 98
Shit Music.mp3 Emo Rock Band 98

So the idea is that you can use one MP3 with scratch sounds, fart sounds, silence, whatever really, as something to create some kind of visual order amongst a long crate or playlist. If its a file with scratch sounds then its nice because if you do that kind of thing you can easily add some scratches to your set by using this easy-to-reach file as well, so it serves numerous purposes. iTunes allows this by default! But when I look at my iTunes library in SSL any spacer file that is added more than twice only appears one time... so SLL is taking OUT files that I mean to have in my iTunes playlist.

This creates a huge hassle for me since I gotta create a bunch of spacer mp3's with different names that take up more space in my hard drive, and most importantly, my time etc.

Allowing duplicates AS AN OPTION in the settings SETUP window would solve this problem for me and a few others that utilize this method. I understand some people don't care for it, so....

Even better would be a little + sign at the bottom of the crate which actually pops up a color chooser and ads a SOLID LINE of COLOR as a spacer once or multiple times in a crate. That way we can forget about creating MP3's with funky names to help our problem. But this would probably only work with SSL CRATES and not with iTunes Playlists, so iTunes users would still be screwed.

Allowing duplicates would be a much better option IMO.

What do you think Rane/DJ's?

PS: Anybody using something else to make this happen?
DeezNotes 1:51 PM - 22 January, 2011
Quote:
this is still a big deal to me (selecting multiple folders). Another huge annoyance, and this is just me and the way I organize music:

ABILITY TO ADD DUPLICATES TO A CRATE! And ALLOW iTunes duplicates to show in SSL!

I use certain MP3's as "crate breakers" or "spacers" in order to create just that, a space or break in a crate with sets that I have put together, for example this is what my library can look like sometimes j/k (the song with all the dashes is the "spacer" or "breaker"):

Song Artist BPM Comment

Believe.mp3 Cher 120
---------------------------.mp3 ----------------------------------------------- 00 -------------------

So the idea is that you can use one MP3 with scratch sounds, fart sounds, silence, whatever really, as something to create some kind of visual order amongst a long crate or playlist. If its a file with scratch sounds then its nice because if you do that kind of thing you can easily add some scratches to your set by using this easy-to-reach file as well, so it serves numerous purposes. iTunes allows this by default! But when I look at my iTunes library in SSL any spacer file that is added more than twice only appears one time... so SLL is taking OUT files that I mean to have in my iTunes playlist.

This creates a huge hassle for me since I gotta create a bunch of spacer mp3's with different names that take up more space in my hard drive, and most importantly, my time etc.

Allowing duplicates AS AN OPTION in the settings SETUP window would solve this problem for me and a few others that utilize this method. I understand some people don't care for it, so....

Even better would be a little + sign at the bottom of the crate which actually pops up a color chooser and ads a SOLID LINE of COLOR as a spacer once or multiple times in a crate. That way we can forget about creating MP3's with funky names to help our problem. But this would probably only work with SSL CRATES and not with iTunes Playlists, so iTunes users would still be screwed.

You can have 1 copy of a song/file and put that in multiple crates.
AKIEM 7:38 PM - 22 January, 2011
Ive been using crate breakers forever. I to a one second silent mp3, made 20 copies of it named, 1-20. Keep those in a crate. Anytime I need a space or a line in my crate, just drop one of those in.
DeezNotes 8:20 PM - 20 July, 2011
ba bump...ba bump..make ya speakers pump
AKIEM 8:22 PM - 20 July, 2011
yes!!!
Idlemind1999 11:43 PM - 21 July, 2011
FA REALZ!! I was reading the old posts here... Glad the "smart crates" finally made it in.
DJ BIS 6:46 AM - 7 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

Song Artist BPM Comment

Believe.mp3 Cher 120

You can have 1 copy of a song/file and put that in multiple crates.

You lost me man. That does not do what I mentioned. As I described above, there are times when it is useful to have duplicate tracks in one crate.
DeezNotes 6:12 PM - 7 May, 2012
Sorry, but I can't argue a point that's over a year old. I'll just agree with you as my comment has expired. You're probably right anyway. lol