DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Naked Music - Nude Dimensions Mix

nik39 9:25 PM - 2 January, 2008
Hey guys,

there is this one mix CD which my (at that time) lady gave me a few years ago called "Nude Dimensions Vol. 2". It is really really dope music and pretty much the kind of house music with broken beats elements I like. so... can anyone of you house guys forward me to some labels (I found out the label is called "Naked Music") which have a similar sound?

Cheers.
nik39 9:31 PM - 2 January, 2008
Also DJ Miguel Migs... who mixed Nude Dimenstions Vol. 1... can anyone teach me a little bit about him (I read his bio already), is he like really a big name in the game?
nik39 11:23 PM - 2 January, 2008
Sorry, it is Vol. 3 which I find amazing.
dj_soo 11:50 PM - 2 January, 2008
Miguel Migs is a pretty big in house - i think he's mainly deep house? Not a house guy myself so I can't say for sure but he's definitely one of the bigger guys in the scene.
Phil Anthony 11:58 PM - 2 January, 2008
Nik,

Check out Om, www.om-records.com. They have a huge, ecclectic catalog but much of it is jazzy and organic and not all house. There is lots of loungy down tempo and broken beat as well. Migs is pretty big but you will get mixed reviews about him. Personally I like his sound. He also has a label, Salted. He works with Lisa Shaw quite a bit which is reminisant of that sexy Naked sound. Also, spend some time on Stompy.com. Look into some of the deep and or jazzy house.

Some other labels to check out:
Guidance
Offset
Loveslap
Seasons

I will check out my wax and hit you with more. If you don't have it, get San Francisco Sessions - Mark Farina. That CD changed my life. I lived and breathed house from about 92 till 2002 or so. I still love it but have stretched out quite a bit. Ask me anytime for more info. I love turning folks to the shit that fed my soul and inspired me. Hope this helps.

Later,

Phil
Discobee 4:22 AM - 3 January, 2008
Hed Kandi CD series and Fierce Angels CD series are also similar type of deep house beats, too.
digital_steve 4:34 AM - 3 January, 2008
check NRK music... that's migs's label
DJMark 4:47 AM - 3 January, 2008
Nik,

Thanks, it was me who mixed volume 3 (I also did quite a lot of other work for that label, some credited and some not).

Oddly enough, that volume (despite the lack of specific credit) was actually DJ-ed "live" in a way most of the others on that label weren't...

Enough said.
DJMark 4:49 AM - 3 January, 2008
Quote:
check NRK music... that's migs's label

I think you're confusing them with Salted.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:31 AM - 3 January, 2008
Quote:
Nik,

Thanks, it was me who mixed volume 3 (I also did quite a lot of other work for that label, some credited and some not).

Oddly enough, that volume (despite the lack of specific credit) was actually DJ-ed "live" in a way most of the others on that label weren't...

Enough said.

Wow, that is pretty cool Mark.

Can I get a hookup on the mailing list for product buddy.... LOL

: )

Actually I need to start beating the labels down again. I used to be on a lot of Vinyl lists before the labels started to cut vinyl. I am straight on the Urban stuff via the pools but I need (and miss) the House stuff. Need to make that a New Years resolution and start checking my AOL address again.
Phil Anthony 9:56 PM - 3 January, 2008
NRK is another good one to check out and Migs does have stuff on NRK but yeah, Salted is his label.

That's cool to know by the way Mark. I used to work for groovetech.com out of the Seattle office and we worked closely with Naked on a couple of things. I'm wondering if our paths ever crossed.
nik39 10:02 PM - 3 January, 2008
HEy guys, thanks for all the help and feedback. I had a look at some stuff from a few of those mentioned.... but it seems like none of the stuff I have listened to so far meets up with the Naked Music stuff. I will report back after I have a more cleared view. Right now it's all foggy for me :)
Phil Anthony 11:53 PM - 3 January, 2008
One more suggestion. Try using Pandora.com and take an artist or two from the tracks you like off of Nude Dimensions Vol. 3 and create a station. I do this with house and DT every now and again.
djaleksei 11:55 PM - 3 January, 2008
the whole nude dimensions compilations are amazing, fantastic, sophisticated, lush house grooves. love it.
mobius909 12:35 AM - 4 January, 2008
because many artists go under different labels, i'd start with artists before i started with labels. labels help, but some bounce all over the place. i'd look for:
vernon & dacosta
always like collette's stuff
2nd shift
Terranova
Late Night Alumni
Magda
Deepswing
Diem
Felix Lyter
Fred Everything
Derek Dunbar
Jay West
Chuck Love

to name a few.

migs is also on a label called salted.
DJMark 1:29 AM - 4 January, 2008
Quote:

Wow, that is pretty cool Mark.

Can I get a hookup on the mailing list for product buddy.... LOL

Heh, I'd love to help out, except that it's been a couple years since I've done anything for Naked (the label's output slowed dramatically from 2005 on), and (like a lot of other house labels) they were always notoriously stingy about sending promo vinyl anyway.

Besides Nude Dimensions 3, I also mixed Carte Blanche 3, Lost On Arrival, and a couple promo-only mini-mix CD's (one was for a magazine out of New Zealand). I mastered (and did extensive post-production on) a bunch of Naked's other CD's, and pre-mastered (also did some editing and post-production) most of the vinyl between early 2001 and late 2004.

It's cool to see that stuff still has some appreciation from people here.
DJMark 1:35 AM - 4 January, 2008
Quote:
That's cool to know by the way Mark. I used to work for groovetech.com out of the Seattle office and we worked closely with Naked on a couple of things. I'm wondering if our paths ever crossed.

The only thing that comes to mind is that I did an on-line mixshow for Groovetech in the summer of 2001, from their studios in the Lower Haight. Not sure if we met back then or not. I wasn't involved with the promotional aspects of Naked at all, though.
AtomicDJ 3:38 AM - 4 January, 2008
i just have to say KUDOS on these mixes, especially #3. Great stuff.
nik39 1:16 AM - 5 January, 2008
Quote:

Word!

LEt me say it again: PROPS :)

Nice mixes, even better music choice. This is my favourite House Mix.

Mark, did you record them in one go? Or did you record just the transitions each by one? Also did you select the tracks or did the label tell you which tracks you would have to use?
joosth 1:22 AM - 5 January, 2008
Quote:

Besides Nude Dimensions 3, I also mixed Carte Blanche 3, Lost On Arrival, and a couple promo-only mini-mix CD's (one was for a magazine out of New Zealand). I mastered (and did extensive post-production on) a bunch of Naked's other CD's, and pre-mastered (also did some editing and post-production) most of the vinyl between early 2001 and late 2004.

It's cool to see that stuff still has some appreciation from people here.

Then let me say that you have a fan here :) LoL
I play mostly deephouse actually.
I still listen to this stuff a few times every week... In the years I have gathered almost every compilation made by naked music.
Love the bare essentials, blue six, Gaelle, carte blanche and the nude dimensions

Oh and nik39 check these out, maybe there is something you like:
Bar susu
Studio apartment
stereo sushi
the rurals
kaskade
hotel costes
gare du nord
Hed kandi (lots of stuff!)
the soulfuric deep label
Rayne 11:46 PM - 10 January, 2008
Labels:
Paper Recordings
Winding Road
Environ
Freerange Records
Dessous

Artists:
Crazy Penis
Office Gossip
Spirit Catcher
Metro Area
John Dählback (not his recent stuff)
David Househead 11:56 PM - 10 January, 2008
Lisa Shaw kissed me :)

you might also dig JT Donaldson, Aquanote, Aquarian Dreams...

PS - my sliptmats are Naked Music.
Flipstyles 5:51 AM - 11 January, 2008
I did this mix about 4 or 5 years ago, most of the tracks were off the deep touch label with a couple tracks from naked and OM. Its on the Deep & Jazzy tip but if you dig the nakes stuff you should like this. Feedback Welcome....

www.zshare.net
Maskrider 10:20 PM - 11 January, 2008
Something I did like 2 years ago www.zshare.net

Deep to Funky

And try to check out Ian pooley from NRK

Constructive and Destructive Criticism are all Welcome.
DJMark 6:30 AM - 13 January, 2008
Quote:
Quote:

Word!

LEt me say it again: PROPS :)

Nice mixes, even better music choice. This is my favourite House Mix.

Mark, did you record them in one go? Or did you record just the transitions each by one? Also did you select the tracks or did the label tell you which tracks you would have to use?

Thanks again, Nik.

The mix was more like two go's...I wasn't totally happy with one section, so I ended up re-doing that part (and editing that into what became the final mix for the CD). It was mixed with a pair of CDJ-100's, each running through an Electrix EQ/Killer and mixed on a Rane MP-2016.

Track selection was definitely collaborative between myself and Bruno Ybarra (then the label's director). I think we ended up with 20-22 tracks that were agreed to be okay (licensing issues played a large role in that, of course), then I had to figure out how to make a coherent mix out of those...wound up using 16 tracks out of that pile.

Some of the hardcore Naked Music fans didn't like that mix much. Looking back on it, it was maybe too "different" from the first two Nude Dimensions discs...Bruno at the time wanted to prevent the label from getting pigeonholed into too narrow of a genre, but in retrospect maybe Miguel's Nude Tempo (released a few months later, in early 2002) should have been Nude 3 and the mix I did released under some other name (the way Lost on Arrival was, a couple years later).
nik39 6:33 PM - 19 September, 2009
Quote:
Hed Kandi CD series and Fierce Angels CD series are also similar type of deep house beats, too.

Hey Discobee,

I have checked out the Hed Kandie series and I did not like it very much. It's too chilled out, not enough broken beatish. Thanks for your tip however :)
lost vegas 8:28 PM - 19 September, 2009
yo nik39... if you like that naked nude dimensions then check out these compilations, i think you will love them.(i eat, sleep and breath the kind of house your asking about)

"AFTERDARK" series and the "BARGROOVES" series are really amazing and i think you will love them, just make sure they are the volumes from before 2007... i think the volumes after 2007 are under a new label that might have bought the rights to use those names because the sound of the newer compilations is very different from the earlier ones. Plus the cover art looks like those headkandi comps..stay away from those ones.

i hope this was helpful and not something you already knew:) here are some links so you can see what some of the album covers look like.

www.amazon.com

www.amazon.com
DJMark 12:43 AM - 20 September, 2009
I just finished mixing and mastering a new Sven Van Hees album "Maverick"...if you liked the more chillout Naked Music stuff (Carte Blanche series), you might be into this new album.

Definitely not prime-time dancefloor material, but there's a few really nice house tracks on there.
valdini 6:22 AM - 20 September, 2009
Quote:
I just finished mixing and mastering a new Sven Van Hees album "Maverick"...if you liked the more chillout Naked Music stuff (Carte Blanche series), you might be into this new album.

Definitely not prime-time dancefloor material, but there's a few really nice house tracks on there.

Will keep an eye out for this...am resident at one of Roberto Cavalli's club (zero R&B / Pop policy) so get to dig out all my 'Naked' style tracks from years back and slide them nice deep loungey sets togther whilst people are dinning before the club kicks in.

I remember those boiling hot Naked / OM parties at the wmc from 2002-2005 and had pretty much every vinyl release after first picking up the classic 'Abstract Truth - We Had Thing' and then digging deeper on the artists / producers.

What is Jay Denes up to these days...midas touch in the production studio for that sound, one which got a little played out, but still sounds fresh when you drop tracks today...big pat on the back if you had a hand in the mastering / finishing of those!

BLue Six - Sweet Love (Jays mix) mmmmmmmmmm

K
nik39 11:27 AM - 20 September, 2009
Quote:
"AFTERDARK" series and the "BARGROOVES" series are really amazing and i think you will love them, just make sure they are the volumes from before 2007... i think the volumes after 2007 are under a new label that might have bought the rights to use those names because the sound of the newer compilations is very different from the earlier ones. Plus the cover art looks like those headkandi comps..stay away from those ones.

Do you mean that both series' have changed their label?

I have checked out some of the Afterdark series stuff and this comes close to the sound I am looking for. Nice! Thanks :)

The question which comes next is... where do I buy those tracks from? I mean... I want to mix them so a premixed CD will not do it for me ;)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:40 PM - 20 September, 2009
If you know titles from the mixed CD, full unmixed versions of a lot of that stuff is available on Traxsource:

Naked Music: www.traxsource.com

Om Reccords: www.traxsource.com

Bargrooves: www.traxsource.com

enjoy...
nik39 8:13 PM - 20 September, 2009
I am not sure whether I should thank you or not.

*Fearing the next credit card invoice*

;)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 9:47 PM - 20 September, 2009
Quote:
I am not sure whether I should thank you or not.

*Fearing the next credit card invoice*

;)

LOL,

Follow them on Twitter or Facebook, they run $5 off of $10 or more discount codes every few weeks. Helps to soften the blow OR keeps U coming back like crack.

twitter.com
DJ Val-BKNY11203 2:20 PM - 23 September, 2009
You can also check out the Body & Soul NYC series. Vol 1 & 4 are my personal favorites.
www.amazon.com
danielthewave 5:35 PM - 23 September, 2009
should check out some defected stuff

marc evans, copyright,
shovell

and a track that has played quite often on these defected events was the bug yb mark trophy
nik39 2:47 PM - 27 December, 2020
Quote:
Heh, I'd love to help out, except that it's been a couple years since I've done anything for Naked (the label's output slowed dramatically from 2005 on)

Hey Mark,

what happened to the label? What are the label owners or those who ran the label doing right now?

Merry XMas BTW! :)