DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

SERATO PLEASE MAKE ALL COLORS of Control Vinyl AVAILABLE FOR SALE TO ALL DJs

Rob Alahn 8:58 AM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
No bigger fan of Serato than me. My argument for the following solution has been detailed at length here in the forum. Hence, I'll get straight to the point.

SERATO: please GIVE the records to whomever you want. And SELL them to the rest of us!!!!!!!!!!
1) raise significant capital for ongoing software development
A: kills tangential bootleg industry
B: reduces lost revenue from eBay (secondary market sales)
2) rewards loyal PAYING fans/consumer of said software
3) keeps promotions/reward program intact
4) maintains/if not increases Serato's market share ( just look at how many people have tried Traktor because of the colored vinyl offerings--not to mention price)

I could go on but I said I'd be brief. You all get the point. I'm on my iPhone typing this but I'm gonna start a thread and hope each of you will copy at least the " Serato please" sentence in this post, paste it there, and see what the brain trust at Serato might say in response to us!!!

Kind Regards,

Rob
Audio1 8:59 AM - 18 February, 2011
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
HERE WE GO AGAIN
Jensen Määäm 9:38 AM - 18 February, 2011
I co-sign Rob's idea/suggestion.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:48 AM - 18 February, 2011
ya i agree when are we going to get black vinyl???
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:27 AM - 18 February, 2011
lol
jwagner 10:50 AM - 18 February, 2011
The only way I want white vinyl is if I get to the point in my DJ Career where I get them for free.
Dubplate10" 11:53 AM - 18 February, 2011
10" Whites please :)
kryptonitednb 12:21 PM - 18 February, 2011
Rob, I don't agree at all. My unhealthy obsession with Serato vinyl and therefore my Serato wall o vinyl would never have existed if all colors were readily available.

It's part of the thrill!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:21 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
The only way I want white vinyl is if I get to the point in my DJ Career where I get them for free.

+100
Jensen Määäm 12:50 PM - 18 February, 2011
Krypto has a good point.
And there is another catch: it won't work that way with the Serato Special Pressings.
They will always be limited. Noone will get the permission from Serato to press as many and as long as he wants vinyls with the Serato Control tone on it.
DJ Quartz 3:02 PM - 18 February, 2011
Krypto does have a good point, it's like an honor thing.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:52 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
10" Whites please :)

mabye if ou buy me dinner first lol
Dubplate10" 3:57 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:

mabye if ou buy me dinner first lol
Quote:

I would sell my soul to have them
lvmez 4:18 PM - 18 February, 2011
i was a big collector of serato vinyl. i quit after the whole fiasco with breaks. i don't mind that they are limited but i don't like the distribution method. i'm slowly getting rid of everything.
Rob Alahn 4:20 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:

So is Krypto saying he's never bought, traded or come up on some whites? And is he saying he wouldn't buy or trade for whites if he could? For the record. I agree that pressings will always be limited. My position is make them available for sale. And a limited run is consistent with that.

Serato should make the hottest colors promo only and Rane should sell Serato software infused products for 500.00 or more. And just like the video game market. The leader ATARI fell like a brick. TRAKTOR is catching up. The game has changed. Traktor is exponentially less expensive but Serato isn't exponentially better. And in some ways other products have beat my horse to the finish line. Charge me top dollar for your products but then tell me I'm not good enough for your trophy vinyl? Insulting. IMHO. Its elitist and non inclusive in the face of so much demand.
CMOS 4:37 PM - 18 February, 2011
If they sold all the colors you guys wouldnt be special any more. I predict at least one of you would jump off a bridge once the realization that your collection is worth nothing sets in.
kryptonitednb 4:44 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

So is Krypto saying he's never bought, traded or come up on some whites? And is he saying he wouldn't buy or trade for whites if he could? For the record. I agree that pressings will always be limited. My position is make them available for sale. And a limited run is consistent with that.

That's definitely not what I was saying at all. I think being able to secure promo only releases is part of the fun/hunt.
kryptonitednb 4:44 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
If they sold all the colors you guys wouldnt be special any more. I predict at least one of you would jump off a bridge once the realization that your collection is worth nothing sets in.

I will be the first.
CMOS 5:03 PM - 18 February, 2011
Ha.
grrillatactics 5:17 PM - 18 February, 2011
Eh, I can see the benefit to a limited number of people, but overall, if you want any of the exclusive or super-limited run vinyls, you can find them with a little work, and the rest of the people really don't care enough to make it a viable business move.

For instance, if white was readily available, and a fair number of people went out and bought them, would it really be that special to own them anymore?

I have TSP and both the white and black vinyl for it, and if it wasn't for the simple fact that using white for TSP and black for SSL makes it easier to make sure that I grab the right CV for the program (they all have the same custom labels on them), I would never have bothered with the white CVs for TSP. The only reason that I bother with any of the non-black colors at all is for that reason. If I am using TSP, I know to grab the white CVs. If I am using SSL, I know to grab the black CVs.

(all of this would be less necessary if I just bothered to put my CVs away after each use; than I would just start whichever program I wanted and pull the CV from the correct sleeve)
anthracite98 7:54 PM - 18 February, 2011
But as said earlier, its not just about being special or wanting to collect, or a desire to have rare valuables. I want the orange vinyl for Halloween and SF Giants events, I want the Greens for St Patty's day, I want the reds for xmas parties and valentines day parties. I want the white for weddings and "white" parties, and even just swanky affairs. I want the pink for charity events.

I think they should make more pressings (not just tone CV). I know there are QC issues and such, but if we really break it down, both Shibuya's and King breaks could have been available in 10 colors and we'd be happy. I'd still buy the other pressings that come out for the collector in me, but I'd be happy with my full color palette. I know they will never just press a million colors of CV cause most people wouldn't buy the pressings anymore. So my suggestion would be to find a way to make sure that one pressing comes out every month or 2 and its a new color. With the bazillion new tracks that are released hourly, it can't be that hard to find something for the next pressing.

That way there are still promo vinyls for the "big shots" (yeah they could sell them to us, but they wont), regular CV's (in black, blue, red, purple, clear...although they could do special runs of certain colors a few times a year...like 500 golds pressed per year...miss them now, wait til next season), and pressings that come out often enough to satiate our needs, but still keep it collectable (say 2000 per color).

Another idea would be to make it mandatory for each release to be available in at least 3 colors. The QC is already done for the most part once the pressing is ready, so adding additional colors shouldn't entail that much work and its not like they wouldn't sell...
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:58 PM - 18 February, 2011
Quote:
there is no way this would be as crazy as it is if all the colors were available all the time.....

the worst part about that scenario and why I hope it never happens.....I would not have gotten to know you all. We would just be credit card numbers in a system.
Lonestarr 8:28 PM - 18 February, 2011
One thing that i've been thinking about that has honestly troubling me in a way but refrained to say it all this time is the matter of hoarding. True Dj's are in itself a rarity in the world of auto sync and stop and playing "fronting DJ's" as turntabilist are a dying art form. Between the lines of these two dying forms [DJ and Turntablist] of musical art comes the night in shining armor serato here to save the future for vinyl heads. We as a minuscule community of serato tone freaks need to start helping each other furfill our dreams and not hoard them away from the few others who try to one have a collection to be proud of. I for one am a new collector and have been collecting now for almost three months. Because of my addiction and willing to dig i have found every pressing available pressed by serato at retail price minus two pressings. "where i paid the inflated price" I personally know where many of these items are still located and readily tell my fellow addicts where they can be found when i find them. I can not have them all and honestly if i found a hidden from the world place where a gold mine is at, my community will know to keep the that dream alive. Why in the world would any body ever want to have 100 whites or 20 greys are whatever?? Bragging rights? This community is small enough, very small and the satisfaction of knowing my small community is still flourishing would be a even bigger bragging right to all those cats you use the other junk. i.e. reloop, traktor, whatever. What do we want to do make our world smaller and unpronounced? I understand there are some pressings that were meant for the big leagues and small fish attic dj's like me wont ever get a chance, but pressings that were 1500 - 2000 are super rare sold at 200 +??? HUh? . WHERE IN THE HELL ARE THEY? They are exactly where one would think, Locked away from all the others collectors who would possibly like to have a pain [not 20] to spin at the weddings, Valentines day, Christmas parties what have you. No disrespect to nobody im just being real and wanting to prove a point. There are more records out there than people think, they are just locked away form our own to rip our own. Why? Pay our collection off? Just because they're 1000 records doesn't make them necessarily rare, WE are making them rare.
Lonestarr 10:54 PM - 18 February, 2011
Damn. My bad guys with all the spelling errors. Stupid auto sync phones....
D CA$H 3:12 AM - 19 February, 2011
i just wish i could find more black ones, they're sold out at every local shop I go to.
djchrischip 7:04 PM - 19 February, 2011
Quote:
i was a big collector of serato vinyl. i quit after the whole fiasco with breaks. i don't mind that they are limited but i don't like the distribution method. i'm slowly getting rid of everything.

i agree
2Seven 7:33 PM - 19 February, 2011
In my mind, the distribution could be improved. Living in the UK, I have ended up spending mad amounts on postage and customs charges.

Would be good to have a European/UK based retailer for all pressings.
djchase 8:17 PM - 19 February, 2011
Quote:
Rob, I don't agree at all. My unhealthy obsession with Serato vinyl and therefore my Serato wall o vinyl would never have existed if all colors were readily available.

It's part of the thrill!

said that man who gets most of his for free
Lonestarr 11:11 PM - 19 February, 2011
Quote:
i just wish i could find more black ones, they're sold out at every local shop I go to

Thats easy. Ebay all over the world has those! and for cheap might i add.
Sureshot (PA) 7:54 PM - 20 February, 2011
can you imagine the outrage from the CV Collectors if they started releasing whites and marbles etc. at $15 a pop!?
Rob Alahn 8:33 PM - 20 February, 2011
My contention is Serato should make them available. That's different. Not mass produced. If they release 1500 yellow promos for sale that's 750 deejays WORLDWIDE with 2 copies. Still hella rare but AVAILABLE to all deejays. What's the harm to a collector in that? Hell, they'd be happy as all outdoors to get some!
Jensen Määäm 8:42 PM - 20 February, 2011
If they would do that, it would be the fastest sellout in Serato history!
Rob Alahn 8:57 PM - 20 February, 2011
Quote:
If they would do that, it would be the fastest sellout in Serato history!

So, if that's true, what is the downside? All upside from my vantage point. I'm not tryin to be difficult but I just don't see how making a limited run of vinyl has a significantly negative impact on Serato, Serato promotions, Serato software sales, Rane hardware sales, collectors or DJs.
Jensen Määäm 9:08 PM - 20 February, 2011
I'm on the same page as you, Rob. I was just sayin'...
2Seven 9:12 PM - 20 February, 2011
Quote:
what is the downside?

You'll still get people hoarding these, even if they make them 1 pair per order, you'll still get cats putting in huge orders bumping up the secondary market making them unavailable for the real collectors.
Rob Alahn 9:20 PM - 20 February, 2011
Thats actually my point 2Seven--no real change. That's exactly what people do right now. So no negative impact because there wasn't any negative effect. You're talking about changing the behavior of people. Not the availabilty of product--behavior of a corporation.
Lonestarr 10:58 PM - 20 February, 2011
Quote:
You'll still get people hoarding these, even if they make them 1 pair per order, you'll still get cats putting in huge orders bumping up the secondary market making them unavailable for the real collectors.

But that's where selling a pair to one cat is great like at stokyo. The sale can be limited unless you know people blah blah blah and are in some Secret Super Best Freinds Legion of Doom or something. But yeah, We all know that the pressings are rare and or limited also we all are aware that these pressings are going to sell out hella fast. I totally agree with this thread and with what Rob is preaching. Hell look at this way. 1000 starkeys, 700 released world wide, just like what happened. Still hella rare and limited, affordable for the grunts like me making nothing and "I" an attic DJ stationed in Germany can say i have a pair due to its availability world wide. NO stunts no tricks, no special treatment and most importantly no super best friends legion of doom. (southpark)
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:28 PM - 22 February, 2011
Quote:

Why in the world would any body ever want to have 100 whites or 20 greys are whatever?? Bragging rights?

Nopes, because once they sell out the store the price tripples (running down the block knocking kids off tricycles lol ) and if you have 20 greys you paid $15 for, and they are now worth $50 a pierce you flipped a nice profit
Rob Alahn 4:42 PM - 22 February, 2011
Branding, promotions, giveaways, gifts, used for practice etcetera. Too many reasons to list. Honestly I wish I had stocked up on all the old ones because I prefer the old black label. So reds, clears, blues and blacks which really aren't collectable would be ones I'd buy plenty of.

PLEASE HELP ME SPREAD THE NEWS AND SUPPORT ROMAN's efforts to help CHRISTCHURCH: Search Christchurch here in the forums. I can't post the link from my iPhone. But it's imperative that we support this worthy endeavor!!!! I'm donating a pair of Tangerine and Emerald Green King Breaks!

Thanks and VIVA SERATO!!!!
Rob Alahn 5:00 PM - 22 February, 2011
here's the link:

serato.com
Africansoundboy 12:20 PM - 26 October, 2015
12'' White Serato control vinyl pliz, am getting to a point where I might actually jump off a bridge if that's the only way Serato is gonna listen to me (us) DJs.