DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DiceTools - Enables addiotional function for the Dicers

nik39 10:22 PM - 29 September, 2010
Hey ya,

the Dicers are a very cool set of Midi controllers, almost perfect for Scratch Live and turntable users (I am missing a knob ;) ). However there are a few functions missing. One of the functions is that you always have to hold down the mode buttons to trigger/map the user assignable functions. DiceTools enables a kind of shift-lock mode for each of the mode buttons.

DiceTools 1.0.0

Overview of functions

Set Dicer to "Shift-Lock" Mode

This unlocks a function where you don't have to hold down the mode buttons to trigger your own midi-mapped functions in Scratch Live. You can configure the duration you have to press the mode button to activate the hold-mode. Each Dicer and each mode button can be configured seperately.

Screenshots
forum.scratchtools.de

Quick How-To

- Connect your Dicers to your computer
- Start the DiceTools by double clicking on the diceTools.jar file (it may be named differently, depending on whether you are using Windows and Macs)
- You will see an error message if the Dicers can not be found
- Please read the "About" information. Remeber: YOU ARE USING THIS TOOL AT YOUR OWN RISK! By clicking on "Close" you accept the displayed terms of service.
- You can start testing the connection to your Dicer by clicking on "Start", stop testing by clicking on "Stop". This step can be skipped.
- In the Hold Modes Pane you can configure the duration you have to push each mode-button to enable the hold mode. Set it to 0 to disable the hold-mode
- Click on "Apply" to send the settings to the Dicer
- Click on "Exit" to close DiceTools

The Dicers will lose their settings whenever you disconnect any of them. Make sure you repeat the procedure above to send the settings back to your Dicers. The settings will be stored on your computer, so whenever you start DiceTools it will recall the last used settings on that computer.

Disclaimer

This tools is not endorsed neither by Novation nor by Serato. You are using it at your own risk. If anything blows up, your hamster starts to get sick and/or your wife/husband leaves you - don't blame me!

This software is free software. Redistribution is not allowed. Please respect this and link to this forum if you want to provide a download link.

If you find this tool helpful please consider a donation using the link at the top of this forum. This will help me developing other features. :-)

Download/Installation Notes

Requirements

To use DiceTools you need to have Java version 1.5 (at least) installed. Obviously you also need some Dicers.

Download the .jar file, and double click on it, once you have saved it. It will start the application.

Download Links
go to forum.scratchtools.de <- click

To download the file you have to be logged into the ScratchTools forum. Otherwise you will not see the download link.
RogerRabbit 10:24 PM - 29 September, 2010
The link to the screenshot is not working..
nik39 10:26 PM - 29 September, 2010
Thanks.

That's the correct link for the screenshot:

forum.scratchtools.de
nik39 11:42 PM - 5 November, 2010
Shameless bump.
DJCheLu 7:44 AM - 6 November, 2010
good stuff ;)
DSTYLEZ 9:45 AM - 6 November, 2010
Nice 1 nik39
DJBIGWIZ 6:06 PM - 6 November, 2010
Also.... THANK YOU nik 39 for making Dice Tools!
The program rocks. As cool as the Dicers are, this program you created makes them twice as cool. I can't believe they didn't think of this. After having the Dicers since they came out and now having Dice Tools, the Dicers them selfs seem incomplete with out it.
I can't believe you are sharing this for free... I highly suggest people donate something (even if it's just a dollar or 2 (although it's worth much more)) for this if you download it.
BIG THANK YOU again!
sixxx 9:34 PM - 6 November, 2010
lol
Dj BuddyLove 10:18 PM - 6 November, 2010
*tracking*
this is gonna get good
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:35 AM - 7 November, 2010
Quote:
*tracking*
this is gonna get good
Kool DJ Sheak One 3:11 AM - 7 November, 2010
feel,fill,fell,

hmmmmmmmm,
intrusting.
DAMIGE 4:39 AM - 7 November, 2010
Hey man wanna shout ya out and say thanks for the tools.. I almost put the dicers back in the box becuz you had to use the shift keys for midi.. I play in absolute mode and was wanting the dicers for the midi only (for the fx and stuff.. so like i said I SALUTE ya bruh!!
radikarl 10:49 AM - 7 November, 2010
this reminds me of when some underground dude tries to insult the big guys to get some fame and they don't even feel like responding at all.
feniks 2:30 PM - 16 December, 2010
Lol
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:24 PM - 16 December, 2010
May have to try this - at least it has a GUI (thanks Nik)...
DJ DennisJ 8:37 AM - 17 December, 2010
You are friggin' amazing, man. Did anyone ever tell you that?! Your innovative ideas revolutionalize the way many use ScratchLive!
djsatony 7:23 PM - 17 December, 2010
wow and I just sold my dicers -__-
Nicky Blunt 10:40 AM - 18 December, 2010
Quote:
May have to try this - at least it has a GUI (thanks Nik)...

it does!

Im in!!

Thanks Nik39
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 1:13 AM - 21 December, 2010
Good work Nik39!

Now all's I need are a pair-o-dicers :)
tehBEN 5:42 PM - 21 December, 2010
Quote:
Good work Nik39!

Now all's I need are a pair-o-dicers :)

+1
DJWALDO 3:09 AM - 18 January, 2011
yea.... can't download it?!
nik39 12:58 PM - 26 January, 2011
*bump*
victor_M 2:54 PM - 26 January, 2011
NIK39

first I was what the hell is this.

then I was like..whoa! they made this.

now I'm like walking over to B and H to get this
www.bhphotovideo.com

Thanks Man.
nik39 4:35 PM - 26 January, 2011
:)
Nicky Blunt 6:39 PM - 27 January, 2011
Yah great Job nik, thanks again,
Joshua Carl 8:29 PM - 27 January, 2011
am I right in assuming this is really just super cool for those who
are using the dicers in post ssl 2.0?

IE, 192 and prior we are midi mapping.
so this wouldnt do any good?
nik39 8:37 PM - 27 January, 2011
Nah, it also helps when you're using pre 2.0, because you can use both layers and make sure you dont have to hold down the group/page button to access the second layer.
Joshua Carl 9:01 PM - 27 January, 2011
ahhh....I never thought of that...
good looks.

Ill have to fuss with this a bit man, excellent as usual Nik
nik39 9:15 PM - 27 January, 2011
Cheers for all the good vibes ;)
DJBIGWIZ 9:22 PM - 27 January, 2011
Quote:
Cheers for all the good vibes ;)

Cheers for the great software!
reggae delgado 10:05 PM - 27 January, 2011
seriously, that's awesome. nice work
Maskrider 10:25 PM - 27 January, 2011
No wonder Nik is a Techmate......Keep up the good work.
DJ GOODIE 9:58 AM - 29 January, 2011
thx man ... ez :) now i have good drum machine dicers ........ :)
nik39 11:39 AM - 29 January, 2011
Drumming with cue points works without the DiceTools...right?
DJBIGWIZ 5:27 PM - 29 January, 2011
Quote:

could be drumming with the SP-6... which would NOT work (very well) with out DiceTools
nik39 5:39 PM - 29 January, 2011
Ah, good point. ... Excellent point event. Never thought of drumming with the SP6!
Joshua Carl 6:15 PM - 29 January, 2011
that was the FIRST THING i thought of..which lead me to the nanopad.
I grabbed some nice studio drum kits and loaded em up.

its pretty rad... just like using a drum machine in music programs.

though i will say the nano pad has better response.
I wish the dicer had those rubber pads
DJBIGWIZ 7:37 PM - 29 January, 2011
Quote:
that was the FIRST THING i thought of..

hahaha me to!
DJBIGWIZ 7:38 PM - 29 January, 2011
Quote:

though i will say the nano pad has better response.
I wish the dicer had those rubber pads

really?
I have both as well and think the Dicers are as if not more responsive
Joshua Carl 7:41 PM - 29 January, 2011
Im starting to wonder if I might have a pair of bad eggs (no homo)

I know with the nano pad, I went into the control option and opened up
the response full.
Im always getting missed strikes on my dicers.
DJBIGWIZ 8:19 PM - 29 January, 2011
if you know someone else who has some, check them out... mine are probably the most responsive MIDI controllers I've used with SSL
Dj.Mojo 8:26 PM - 29 January, 2011
Mine too, never missed a strike.
jbnyc 10:54 PM - 29 January, 2011
Quote:

I wish i could say that about my ttm57's buttons (2nd gen) and cant wait til my dicers arrive!
Henry GQ 10:56 PM - 29 January, 2011
i think mine are a little too responsive =]

nik39 check PM!!!
DJ GOODIE 1:56 AM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:

yes but , think my friend ....running two loops on decks left and right and then using sampler player as drum machine ....and now i have mapped on 4 and 5 on the now mapable dicers to move to next bank on sampler player ....mmmmmmmm yummy :)
DJ GOODIE 10:10 AM - 30 January, 2011
Now i want loop sync just for sp6 player and then u will have a mash machine from hell :) .....loops playin inside sp6 synced :)
and we also want loop stuck on being able to jump to the next loop and still be switched on .......that would be nice :)
Dj.Mojo 10:41 AM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I wish i could say that about my ttm57's buttons (2nd gen) and cant wait til my dicers arrive!

I got the same 57 and it also never missed a strike :=)
jbnyc 4:55 PM - 30 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I got the same 57 and it also never missed a strike :=)

really? i miss a strike at least 1 or 2 times per night, its always the freaking flex buttons..are you sure your 57 doesnt have the red outline?
DJ. L.A. Styles 8:35 PM - 4 February, 2011
Hey Nik39 i been trying to use the dicer tools you created, i'm tyring to map one of my auto loop button to trigger to echo out in the ssl dfx, when i open up the instal file i download i notice the hold modes are already on "0" and i only can increase the value, this is where i'm lost is there something i'm not doing please help if you can thank.
DJBIGWIZ 8:55 PM - 4 February, 2011
Quote:
Hey Nik39 i been trying to use the dicer tools you created, i'm tyring to map one of my auto loop button to trigger to echo out in the ssl dfx, when i open up the instal file i download i notice the hold modes are already on "0" and i only can increase the value, this is where i'm lost is there something i'm not doing please help if you can thank.
the hold mode is to set how long you have to hold the dicers group button down to "lock" it in that secondary mode so that you don't have to keep holding it down while you trigger the buttons
Sureshot (PA) 5:11 PM - 8 February, 2011
i having trouble registering for the forum. is there any other way to download the software?
Sureshot (PA) 5:12 PM - 8 February, 2011
ha.. nevermind.. the email went to my spam folder. i'm in.
nik39 11:10 AM - 9 March, 2011
*bump* for those who missed it.
jbnyc 2:27 PM - 9 March, 2011
Hey nik,can you please upload the screenshot again, link is dead,thanks!
jbnyc 2:36 PM - 9 March, 2011
Nevermind... you did already :)
echa1945mf 9:10 PM - 9 March, 2011
use this and cant live without this ..... great job!
HektikDj 7:41 AM - 10 March, 2011
I cannot get the dicers too work as described, I still have to hold the mode key to trigger, don't know what i'm doing wrong?
nik39 7:58 AM - 10 March, 2011
You have to start the application, transfer/apply the settings to the dicers. This has to be done every time you disconnect the Dicers/restart the computer etc. Unfortunately the Dicers have no persistent brain to remember the settings ;)
phatbob 8:16 AM - 10 March, 2011
I recently started using 3 CDJs regularly instead of 2 Techs, and I'm finding DiceTools indispensable for that setup, with my 3rd deck cues on a shift mode.

A job well done. Cheers!
jbnyc 2:21 PM - 10 March, 2011
Quote:
I recently started using 3 CDJs regularly instead of 2 Techs, and I'm finding DiceTools indispensable for that setup, with my 3rd deck cues on a shift mode.

A job well done. Cheers!

Cool!....now DONATE!!! lol
nik39 3:34 PM - 10 March, 2011
Speaking of... Zero donations yet :-/
jbnyc 3:43 PM - 10 March, 2011
Quote:
Speaking of... Zero donations yet :-/

WOW!! Tthats fucked up! If its usefull and you make money with the help of dicetoolz why wouldnt you donate 5 or 10 bucks thru paypal? I would but my hampster started to get sick! Lol j/k i installed it yesterday and got an error,ill check it today and hit you on a PM if i get the same results nik :)
Millz 4:08 PM - 10 March, 2011
I donated ;)
nik39 4:13 PM - 10 March, 2011
Oh, indeed, I thought that was for ScratchTools!

Thanks Millz :)
Millz 4:22 PM - 10 March, 2011
Fellas, please donate for DiceToolz! :)
DJ. L.A. Styles 11:30 PM - 12 March, 2011
what setting everyone is using so they dont have to hold down mode, i'm trying different setting and still notice it only work if meode is held down, can i just hit the button that i map with out even holding down mode please help thank.
radikarl 8:57 AM - 21 April, 2011
alexander12 did you apply the settings?
remember, you have to do it every time you connect your dicers.
plug them in, start dicetools, apply settings, close dicetools, have fun.
Bigga Bounce Ent 2:52 PM - 21 April, 2011
Nik can you post a vid? Not sure i'm getting this? Re: Install and functions of...

yes i'm asking you to hold my hand, LOL
Free Man 7:39 PM - 21 April, 2011
How helpful would this be if you have a 57?
Free Man 7:39 PM - 21 April, 2011
talking about the Dicer, and seperately asking about the program that Nik made
DJ. L.A. Styles 1:28 PM - 22 April, 2011
radikarl thank for the info im sure i have- ill try again
radikarl 11:39 AM - 3 May, 2011
new version:
serato.com

How-to video over there too!
kryptonitednb 3:57 PM - 5 May, 2011
I signed up for the website last night and I haven't received a confirmation e-mail. =(
nik39 4:01 PM - 5 May, 2011
Did you check your Spam folder?
kryptonitednb 4:03 PM - 5 May, 2011
Yes, just checked again. Signed up under:

joshmcginn at comcast dot net
kryptonitednb 4:05 PM - 5 May, 2011
Crap, I forgot that I wasn't supposed to post up e-mail info, sorry dudes.
nik39 4:17 PM - 5 May, 2011
banned.
Millz 4:19 PM - 5 May, 2011
lol
nik39 4:21 PM - 5 May, 2011
krypto, it says "Pending Confirmation". If you go to the login page ( forum.scratchtools.de ) you can resend the activation email.
kryptonitednb 4:28 PM - 5 May, 2011
It didn't work. I am going to try signing up under a diff't e-mail.
kryptonitednb 4:30 PM - 5 May, 2011
Tried a gmail account and it still hasn't come through.

W

T

F
nik39 4:37 PM - 5 May, 2011
I told you, you're banned :-P
kryptonitednb 4:38 PM - 5 May, 2011
='(
nik39 4:41 PM - 5 May, 2011
Let's move this to PM.
Dj AR1 1:55 AM - 29 May, 2012
how do i get or log into scratchtools?
nik39 5:42 AM - 29 May, 2012
Register for the forum
Dj AR1 5:46 AM - 29 May, 2012
Quote:
Register for the forum

were or how?
Dj Blaze 9:38 PM - 19 November, 2014
Cant believe I didn't know about this...thanks Nik39 👊😉 *bump
luckydelmar 6:31 AM - 4 September, 2018
every time i click on the link, i just became this text on a blank page:

The database connection failed. Please check your database configuration in include/db/config.php. If the configuration is okay, check if the database server is running.
haveboard 3:50 PM - 4 September, 2018
Quote:
nnection failed. Please check your database configuration in include/db/config.php. If the configuration is okay, check if the database server is runnin

I think scratchtools.de is RIP. the original post is like 8 years old
luckydelmar 7:34 AM - 7 September, 2018
is there someone who could re-upload it?`
DaltonSR20 5:52 PM - 7 September, 2018
I got ya:

www.dropbox.com
radikarl 11:50 AM - 14 January, 2019
its officially available here

radikarl.de/freecontent
HK1200 1:37 PM - 14 January, 2019
Don't get too excited. It has never been updated to work properly with SDJ, unfortunately.
nik39 10:49 AM - 15 January, 2019
Quote:
Don't get too excited. It has never been updated to work properly with SDJ, unfortunately.

Hi HK1200,

it works very fine with SDJ. No worries.

If not, please feel free to send me a PM with the steps how to reproduc reproduce the malfunction.

Thanks.
HK1200 3:51 PM - 15 January, 2019
Hi Nik!

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I absolutely love Dicetools and appreciate it very much,, but I was having some issues with it playing nicely with SDJ the last time I checked. (Which was admittedly a few months ago)

As I recall, the Midi button in SDJ would grey out as soon as dicetools settings were applied and SDJ would completely stop responding to the dicers until they're unplugged and reconnected, which of course wipes out the dicetools settings.

Also, fwiw, they weren't appearing under midi devices in SDJ and thus I had no way to select "enable hardware remapping" as someone else had suggested I try.

I'll have to re-install and double check, but I might wait until they tweak 2.1 a few more times.
nik39 1:42 AM - 16 January, 2019
I have been using Dicetools with every version of SDJ and it's been running stable for me. Can you retry and confirm that the issue persists and is reproducable?
HK1200 3:27 AM - 16 January, 2019
Well hell, I had no idea! I'll definitely give it another go, especially now that I'm running a fresh os install on a new ssd. I posted months ago asking for input but wasn't able to connect with any current Dicetools users, and at the time it kinda sounded like things had just been abandoned. Now that you have confirmed it does in fact work with SDJ I'll absolutely try again to get them going.

Thanks again man, Dicetools is absolutely mission critical to me. Novation and Serato should have taken a cue from you.
nik39 4:08 PM - 16 January, 2019
Thx for the kind words :)
EISEN 11:18 AM - 15 September, 2019
Hey man, late to the party but is there any way I can download Dicetools? Tried clickng the scratch forum but link doesnt exist. Can you help me out?
nik39 12:31 PM - 30 September, 2019
Quote:
Hey man, late to the party but is there any way I can download Dicetools? Tried clickng the scratch forum but link doesnt exist. Can you help me out?

Yeah, try:

www.radikarl.de <- click
EISEN 2:53 PM - 7 October, 2019
www.radikarl.de <- click

Thanks for this man, tried it out on a set last week. Worked like a gem.

Shout out to the devs on this.