Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Computer Terminology and Information

czar 3:25 PM - 9 September, 2010
I didn't like the sound of Mac vs PC. After all PC is a term to describe computers in general which has been misused and "PC" Does not just represent one brand of computers or just one OS not just one brand so can we use this thread to talk and say what we like about each one and what could also be better on each OS? =) (post news, OS advances, and interesting conversation.)

"TERMINOLOGY AND USEFUL INFORMATION." In no particular order.

"PC"
en.wikipedia.org

"Laptop"
en.wikipedia.org

"Desktop"
en.wikipedia.org

"OS = Operating System"
en.wikipedia.org

"Windows OS"
en.wikipedia.org

"Mac OS"
en.wikipedia.org

"Linux OS"
en.wikipedia.org

"Mother Board/ Logic Board/ Main Board / Mobo"
en.wikipedia.org
en.wikipedia.org

"RAM Memory"
en.wikipedia.org

"CPU Central Processing Unit"
en.wikipedia.org

"Video Card" (Also see "Dedicated vs Integrated graphics solutions")
en.wikipedia.org

"Dedicated vs Integrated graphics solutions" = Integrated graphics processors (IGP) utilize a portion of a computer's system RAM rather than dedicated graphics memory.
en.wikipedia.org

"Hard Disk/ Hard Drive/ H.D.D"
en.wikipedia.org

"Computer Cooling"
en.wikipedia.org

"Computer Cooling" Laptops
en.wikipedia.org

"Computer Cooling" Desktops
en.wikipedia.org

"Quanta Computer Incorporated"
en.wikipedia.org
KLH 3:30 PM - 9 September, 2010
I admire your passion, Czar. Maybe we should call you the Windows Czar.

-KLH
czar 3:42 PM - 9 September, 2010
lol no no I don't just like Windows. =] I just know a little bit about computers and think that perhaps I could help someone by sharing some information. =]]]

Mac Os is a good OS, just exaggeratedly overpriced, the restriction on which systems you can install it is a bummer, but if Apple didn't do this than Mac OS would just become much more widespread and Apple wouldn't get away with the low security profile it carries. Lower than Windows anyways, that has had to deal with threats for much longer due to how widespread it is.

I just don't see Apple pushing Mac OS into the market too much to not attract a surge of threats. They compensate with higher prices but if they do lower them and start to become widespread they will lose on foothold in the long run because it will have to keep up with Windows and spend the $$$ on Security Research. The company will grow larger, the profit margin decrease and shift to how many computers they can sell as opposite to how expensive they can be.
czar 3:47 PM - 9 September, 2010
czar 4:13 PM - 9 September, 2010
So far for me a Windows machine has been affordable and worked every time with a clean OS install (not factory but actual MS issued OS cd) and proper settings. (You know, turn off auto shut off from hard disk, *sleep mode off, disable start up programs, etc.)

As a matter of fact even on my none performing machine I have all startup programs disabled and only load them as I need them and use them and close them when Im done. This keeps the ram clean and crisp, gives the OS a faster booting time and can also be done on Mac. As a matter of fact isn't it standard on Mac for programs to not start together with the OS and idle in the ram waiting to be used?
kraal 5:02 PM - 9 September, 2010
seriously this has nothing to do with itch ... this isnt a blog ... get a blog this forum doesnt need to jumbled up with irrelevance
there is a serato forum right here for this stuff
www.serato.com
czar 5:24 AM - 10 September, 2010
whatever man we do use "potato Corporations" to install and use itch with..
luckee_d 5:48 AM - 10 September, 2010
Hahahaha!!!
czar 6:13 AM - 10 September, 2010
I created this thread and spend my time in it with the intention to help people "that need/want it" understand how their "future", or "current" computers/laptops work.

It is perfectly related to Itch sir. Why? Because we use laptops/computers/PC's or however u want to call them for the sole purpose of performing with Itch. AND itch cannot perform without one. SO all this "irrelevance" you talk about is actually very helpful information for people "that want/need to know", and are trying to figure out why their machines have issues and understand better how the computers THEY RUN ITCH ON work.

If you dont need this info just dont follow the thread and let it go to the bottom of your personal list of threads, which is different for every user in the forum based on what they track and not. if someone needs it they will track it.

I intend to keep using this thread to talk about COMPUTERS, which are as important as Itch itself. I just didnt like the thread titled Mac vs PC because it is misguided in its title. So why not give some basic background about computers for those that dont yet have it and are very new to laptop deejaying and performing?

I believe it is the perfect way to start a well oriented thread which could keep growing with information updated with time. A thread dedicated to COMPUTERS.

that is why I did not call the thread just "computer terminology", but "computer terminology and information" does the name sound wrong? maybe a mod can change it to something like THREAD FOR INFORMATION REGARDING LAPTOPS TO RUN ITCH

and fix my first paragraph while they are at it lol I repeated myself by accident and cant edit! =/
djcerla 8:00 AM - 10 September, 2010
Quote:
I just don't see Apple pushing Mac OS into the market too much to not attract a surge of threats

According to this "security thru obscurity" theory, Apple iPad (who commands 99% of the slates market) should be virus-laden.

It's simply not the case.

Apple owns 90% of the lucrative over-$1000 PC segment, it just doesn't need to compete in the race to the (margin) bottom with Lenovo or Acer. Mac OSX is more than fine in its niche. Tablets are a different story, and again here Apple currently owns the whole market.
czar 12:13 PM - 10 September, 2010
ipad is a closed device and as long as you only install apps from the apple store you can NOT get any sort of malware. Another reason is the closed internet browser that won't let anything download.

If you jailbreak the ipad then you are open to get any kind of dirty things because apple does not have control over what you install in it.
czar 1:04 PM - 10 September, 2010
There are many unix exploits, worms, and other malware.
A lot of ISP's use unix systems, so unix vulnerabilities are well known to the hacker community.

In terms of malware, etc. that impacts widely, Windows wins. There are way more Windows boxes hitting the internet than anything else, so if you want to succeed with desktop malware, your preferred platform is Windows.

I dont know how many times I explain this to you and you still fail to grasp. you talk like ipad controls the WEB market when it doesn't. It controls the Slate market but it is still a small market in the real world. Android keeps gaining share and Win7 Mobile is coming before years end to take another chunk of the mobile market with it. How much? I dont know I still have to experience Win7 mobile and give it a review but it looks like it could be nice.

this is your iOS base. Darwin (operating system)
en.wikipedia.org

Quote:

Mac OSX is more than fine in its niche.

"Kaspersky Security Bulletin 2006: Malware for Unix-type systems" www.securelist.com

Truly new malware is rare in the Unix world, in spite of the fact that just as many vulnerabilities are found in Unix and Linux applications and kernels as are found in Windows. As long as the relatively limited popularity of such systems keeps cyber criminals focused on other operating systems, Unix users can sleep relatively peacefully. Of course, developers do attempt to patch vulnerabilities quickly and developers continue to release updates, but these updates have to be installed by the end user, who may not always follow through.

Once Linux starts being used on other devices such as mobile phones, in on board car computers and gaming consoles such as PS3, we will start seeing more malicious programs targeting these types of devices.

Cross-platform programs may also be developed further, since malicious users will want to reach as many users as possible.

New infection vectors such as Bluetooth, WiFi and Skype will be used to spread malicious programs.

Without a doubt, the transition to x86 architecture led to OS X becoming more popular. More and more users are looking towards Mac OS X as an alternative not only to Windows, but to Linux as well. Its appealing interface and stability will certainly attract a good number of new supporters. Security experts are also drawn to this relatively new platform – dyed in the wool researchers (both black and white hat) will always jump at the chance to study new platforms and technologies.

However, this very promising beginning did not have the expected ending: the transition to x86 architecture did not result in strong growth in the number of OS X users. As a result, OS X has not become a target of commercial interest among cyber criminals. But there have been some proof of concept malicious programs for this platform that deserve attention.

The first one appeared in February: IM-Worm.OSX.Leap. This worm spreads via the iChat instant messaging client and sends itself to those on the user’s contact list.

Another worm, Worm.OSX.Inqtana, appeared at roughly the same time as Leap. Inqtana is written in Java and spreads via Bluetooth, using the old CVE-2005-1333 vulnerability that was published back in May 2005.

Near the end of the year, Inqtana was followed by Worm.OSX.Niqtana, which was a variant of its predecessor and also spreads via Bluetooth. However it uses different vulnerabilities to do so: CVE-2005-0716 for OS X 10.3.x and CVE-2006-1471 for 10.4.x.

The appearance of another proof of concept program for OS X in November –Virus.OSX.Macarena – demonstrates new horizons in this field. Macarena was the first attempt to create a virus for Mac OS X that infects mach-o format executable files. The virus only infects files in the current directory and only runs on Intel platforms, i.e. it does not pose a threat to machines with ppc architecture.

These malicious programs are purely proof of concept code, i.e. they demonstrate that such programs can be created. In the future we can expect programs of this type to appear in the wild, and both users and developers of OS X will have to take a more serious approach to security issues. Even though the malicious programs mentioned above have not yet been found in the wild, the number of users which supported the view that Macintosh is safer than Windows fell markedly.
djcerla 2:38 PM - 10 September, 2010
Quote:
as you only install apps from the apple store you can NOT get any sort of malware.

and this is a very good thing
czar 4:26 AM - 11 September, 2010
not necessarily cerla. you couldn't even change a wallpaper on the iphone without jail-breaking it. its ridiculous because if you jailbreak it, u can change backgrounds and even use moving ones. you can install a free app to make the older ihphone record video which everyone was told by apple "we are "sorry" buy the newer iphone if you want to record video because we (apple) are not supporting it on your current iphone."

and then you have jobs saying about the ipad "you can change your background" in the same sentence that he calls it magical.. HEleft me jaw dropped. I said "no way!" seriously man calling an ipad magical because you can change a wallpaper? did jobs hear about a computer before? I think he is NUTS by trying to take the consumers as morons.

Come on really? why do you have to restrict things and later tell people that if they want something (that they can have with an upgrade, or software change) they have to buy a new piece of hardware!?

couldn't the iphone not have a simple static image on the background running without compromising stability? of course it can! it can even have a moving background without compromising stability or performance and works the same way it always did!

my friend has his jail-broken and gets his apps from a trusted site that has rating and a system that gives certain people merit for uploading the better apps free of threats, so you can tell which apps u can trust and which you should probably not. and best of all, this people create their apps in their free time and give them away for free while apple restricts your devices, and makes you buy new hardware to have simple features that can be easily distributed by software.

And why was apple able to do this? because people have no imagination? because people are willing to give away their hard earned money easy? because apple plays with your mind? you tell me man but when apple tells you that you cant record video on ur current iphone model and u need to buy a new one to do it, and then you jailbreak your iphone and install the feature to record video; apple loses respect and the iphone owner feels like apple is cheating them and quite frankly insulting them by abusing their ignorance in an attempt to exploit them. Its almost as if saying "hey you will never find out! we dont think you are smart enough to ever find out!"

And even worse when people find out that apple makes those iphones at a factory in china were people are committing suicide due to slavery like working conditions, and that the old iphones end up in landfills polluting the earth and the rivers with the dangerous and highly dangerous materials and hurting poor people (with lung cancer, birth defects) who have no other choice than to take apart and burn by hand and without safety measures or safety equipment all those electronics to extract the materials to sell them for a miserably penny back to the same company that in turn makes more iphones for apple.

You start to wonder, why doesn't apple just release software updates with the new features instead of pushing new hardware?

then you realize they make %100+ profit on the actual cost of what it took to make the device. The software updates would shield a much smaller revenue in comparison because it is harder to convince people as to why they need to pay so much for software. It is easier and more probable that people will spend their money (lots) when you talk hardware, and apple is not setting for less money. It's like they got something to prove..

Who is running apple? someone who cant get enough money before dieing? selfish people who care more about themselves than us? their practices can never give them loyal customers beyond perhaps a very low percentage of people who would say "LOOK! I CAN AFFORD IT!"

Android is a living proof of what people want. people want power usage, with options and a community that provides with really useful apps specially if free (just when the belt is tight), a community willing to tell you. "here have this even free and upgrade your device to do the newest things." <-----That is MORE LIKE the cool guy from the apple commercials.

Check your web usage statistics again.

being nice, useful, and caring is fashionable, magical, magnetic and successful.
DJdaveZ 5:55 AM - 11 September, 2010
Quote:
seriously this has nothing to do with itch ... this isnt a blog ... get a blog this forum doesnt need to jumbled up with irrelevance
there is a serato forum right here for this stuff
www.serato.com

i think someone used his cereal bowl as a bedpan..
djcerla 9:14 AM - 11 September, 2010
You're very misinformed about the iPhone.

Of course I can change wallpapers, and my iPhone 4 is not jailbroken. I have downloaded tons of free retina-display optimized wallpapers thanks to a free app.
djcerla 9:34 AM - 11 September, 2010
BTW you're obsessed by Apple in a insane way.

Relax, life is much more than gadgets.

Don't waste your days this way, they'll never come back and in 30-40 years you will feel stupid and sorry for all the hours you sacrified on the altar of your Apple-hatred.
czar 5:07 PM - 11 September, 2010
no cerla no apple "hatred" here. you keep trying to word my attitude which u seem yet to not comprehend, using words which are far from the real feeling I have.

im not talking about the iphone 4. if you were the one informed about the company where u have money invested on, u would know which iphones im talking about. Besides man you could read more attentively to what it is actually written, I never mentioned the iphone 4 to be the core of the issue I brought up. DID I ? The first sentence says "you couldn't" that is past tense meaning before..

Im finally convinced that u care more about believing whatever it is hoping ur shares grow, than talk facts.

talking about technology makes my life happy. but thanks for the concern. maybe it will be you who regrets some things later on and i believe it is only human to understand that we only grown mentally and physically with time meaning that we start at point A to go to B, but I always try to do the things right so to have little to regret. =]

you should not tell people how they will feel when u know little about them to make such claims. do YOU truly feel fulfilled ? perhaps u dont get bored of doing what u do and that is great, because im happy to say i do feel happy. =]

I am indeed very interested in technology and I thkn that I have a wonderful brain and work towards knowing more each day to hopefully create wonderful useful things that will change life as we know it in positive ways. Technology is indeed a very passionate aspect of my life. Did you know that a way to transmit wireless electricity was first discovered more than 100 years ago? And that someone sabotaged the inventor because he wanted to profit from electricity while the person who discovered it wanted to give it out for free?

Try and not feel so important by telling me that I care so much about the company you share profits on. you might feel important by assuming that I care so much more about apple than technology as a whole but you are wrong. Somehow it seems like you pride more from the attention and cant seem to grasp the actual remarks I make, which have nothing to do with small apple (and dont talk about how much $ apple has, its not about $) but more to do with the BIG larger picture.

I have said before that I dont care about WHO, but about WHAT
djcerla 5:34 PM - 11 September, 2010
You're misinformed, as I sold my whole position in Apple shares long ago.

And the share price of a $240B company doesn't go up or down according to posts on ITCH forums, take this for granted.
djcerla 5:38 PM - 11 September, 2010
Quote:
I thkn that I have a wonderful brain

This is so obvious from what you write (and how you write it) that you didn't even need to state it.
czar 5:51 PM - 11 September, 2010
lol =] we should all believe that we have wonderful brains. =] there's a poem. "we are afraid that we are powerful beyond measure." lol I think its true =]

Quote:
You're misinformed, as I sold my whole position in Apple shares long ago.

And the share price of a $240B company doesn't go up or down according to posts on ITCH forums, take this for granted.

what I mean is that someone's perception could be clouded by the hope that they would be successful on their business venture. dont take it too personal thought. it is not intended as that. just that sometimes we hope so much to be successful that we might forget to analyze things carefully lol =]

in no way im perfect doh! =] ;]

trust me you would do better to invest on android and even better if u grab the open source UNIX or linux code and create something like a special OS intended for deejays =] apple charges for free source code with a touch of apple anyways so i dont see why you couldnt do it. =] just dont aim to be rich. if it happens great and i wish u the best and hope that u help many people with the money, but if not im sure u know that money doesnt translate into happiness just by itself. =]

OUR DEEPEST FEAR
By Marianne Willamson

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness
That most frightens us.

We ask ourselves
Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?
Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.

Your playing small
Does not serve the world.
There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking
So that other people won’t feel insecure around you.

We are all meant to shine,
As children do.
We were born to make manifest
The glory of God that is within us.

It’s not just in some of us;
It’s in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine,
We unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we’re liberated from our own fear,
Our presence automatically liberates others.
MusicDan 11:25 PM - 11 September, 2010
I wish these topics had Like buttons like on FB. I really like this one. Very well written. Thanks czar!
czar 12:13 AM - 12 September, 2010
Thank you. Musicdan.
DJdaveZ 8:26 AM - 12 September, 2010
i don't know why facebook doesnt get into hosting forums.. in their own, facebooky, way... and people would be real people with faces and lives... i wonder who would keep the shit talking going then.... lol.
czar 10:06 AM - 12 September, 2010
i was actually thinking the same thing. facebook should have no pics and no personal info. like that people would really say what they think.
czar 1:33 AM - 15 September, 2010
for windows users: (please dont use this to install unnecessary things to ur performing machine) it is great for ur desktop or non performing computer thought. nice list with an easy one click installer. enjoy.

ninite.com
zaguama 3:18 AM - 15 September, 2010
wow i might actually think twice before clicking on a link provided by czar :), last time you had me fighting with a window all over my screen lol.
czar 3:28 AM - 15 September, 2010
lol sorry bro. btw u dont use windows right? its only for windows users =]
czar 3:57 AM - 15 September, 2010
Booting Linux on an Asus EeePC 901 in 5 seconds

Watchwww.youtube.com
czar 4:00 AM - 15 September, 2010
Fast boot OSX 10.5.6 on a Asus P5QL-E Board with Intel E8400 CPU, 4 GB Ram, ATI 3650

Watchwww.youtube.com
czar 11:44 PM - 20 September, 2010