DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

DJ Eskei Demo of The Bridge (pretty nice)

LilSwann 6:16 PM - 20 August, 2010
Was just looking around youtube and came across this
Watchwww.youtube.com
babooza69 6:41 PM - 20 August, 2010
wow very nice. i could never do that, multitasking to the max
nonplus 7:40 PM - 20 August, 2010
anyone know how he routed the audio back into ableton to record those scratchloops?
i cant seem to figure it out.
geeunot 8:47 PM - 20 August, 2010
damn crazy shit!!!!
LilSwann 8:53 PM - 20 August, 2010
Quote:
anyone know how he routed the audio back into ableton to record those scratchloops?

for him to do that he has to into a separate sound interface for Ableton.....I see what looks like an Audio 4 or 8 behind his right technics might be using that. Just go from the mixer to a channel on the sound card and send master output from Ableton from that sound card. This is how DJ Enferno is able to record and loop all the different instruments he has (DJ set, keyboard, mic) he just plugs everything into a sound card and comes master out of that.
Audio1 9:15 PM - 20 August, 2010
Eskei is the truth!
nonplus 9:27 PM - 20 August, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

for him to do that he has to into a separate sound interface for Ableton.....I see what looks like an Audio 4 or 8 behind his right technics might be using that. Just go from the mixer to a channel on the sound card and send master output from Ableton from that sound card. This is how DJ Enferno is able to record and loop all the different instruments he has (DJ set, keyboard, mic) he just plugs everything into a sound card and comes master out of that.

there has to be other ways of routing... prior to the bridge i had ableton set to my core audio driver and routed that through the in/out of my flex fx and in/out of my mac. that way i could use serato and record in ableton on the main xlr sends on my mixer.

i'm pretty sure that i should be able to do something similar but, i could be wrong.
Dj Intel Army 9:28 PM - 20 August, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I think I understand what your saying, but could anyone else shed some light on this?
I believe this method would record the master out of the mixer, not just the scratch track right?
nonplus 9:38 PM - 20 August, 2010
^^^no. theres no sound on whatever channel you want to record until you arm the flex effect button. after the buttons armed you can hear the sound you want to use in the channel your using in ableton. once you've recorded your clip the sound goes out the computer into the flex fx and out the master sends to the speakers. i HATE fucking with routing.
nonplus 9:43 PM - 20 August, 2010
i hope theres a similar way to record live loops just using the sound card on the computer.
LilSwann 9:46 PM - 20 August, 2010
i was just guessing myself i noticed the Audio 4/8 so i figured thats whats he's using to record loops i could be wrong i guess you could always go on the vid and ask him yourself lol or send him a pm on youtube.
nonplus 9:56 PM - 20 August, 2010
the problem with the soundcard theory is... if the driver in ableton is set to serato virtual driver how is he routing the sound in? the core audio driver on your computer is essentially the same as an audio4/8. it just has more routing capabilities.

i'll hit him up on youtube though. i'm sure i'm not the only one who's looking forward to live phrase looping with the bridge.
LilSwann 9:58 PM - 20 August, 2010
Quote:
the problem with the soundcard theory is... if the driver in ableton is set to serato virtual driver how is he routing the sound in? the core audio driver on your computer is essentially the same as an audio4/8. it just has more routing capabilities.

i'll hit him up on youtube though. i'm sure i'm not the only one who's looking forward to live phrase looping with the bridge.

if he gives you a response be sure to let the rest of us know because i definitely want to be able to do that when i finally get Ableton 8
nonplus 10:11 PM - 20 August, 2010
no doubt... i tried to post a link to this thread but it wouldn't let me.
LilSwann 10:12 PM - 20 August, 2010
dang well until then
Watchwww.youtube.com
Anu 10:19 PM - 20 August, 2010
Just change to whatever other sound card you are using in ableton you don't have to use your sl1,sl3,ttm57,or 68 for ableton audio.

Just do your homework on setting up your inputs......
LilSwann 11:26 PM - 20 August, 2010
just as a side note something i noticed......i never see this guy wearing headphones lol
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:29 PM - 20 August, 2010
big up Eskei
nonplus 1:06 AM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:
Just change to whatever other sound card you are using in ableton you don't have to use your sl1,sl3,ttm57,or 68 for ableton audio.

Just do your homework on setting up your inputs......

thats exactly what you have to do! i didn't think you could use the bridge without the serato driver. thanks for that piece of information Anu.
nonplus 1:36 AM - 21 August, 2010
this is how i have my rig setup.

rca's from the soundcard into the flex fx
rca's into the soundcard from the flex fx
go into ableton and pick what ever sound card your using.(other than serato)
select the correct ins and outs.
make sure your sound card is correct under the sound preferences
arm the track to record.
push the flex fx button on the channel you want to rec
then record.

i have mine set up to record into the looper device. i also have a footswitch from my apc40 set to the multipurpose transport button.

i think eskei has his gear set up completley different but this way works for me.
Dj Intel Army 1:41 AM - 21 August, 2010
Wait so I can use an audio 4 dj and my ttm57 and still have two decks plus an ableton deck wherever i want right?

Also on another note, can you use the ttm57sl and route the ableton set through aux?
nonplus 1:50 AM - 21 August, 2010
if the audio 4 is your sound card just select that under the ableton preferences. the reason i use the flex fx instead of the aux out is because... if you record from the aux and one turntable is playing audio from inside of ableton it's gonna record everything sound coming out of your mixer (your ableton deck and the deck you want to loop) creating an audio loop.
DJDeluchi 1:54 AM - 21 August, 2010
the first video dub cowboy posted on his facebook a few days ago and i was really impressed it really shows off the bridge well i hope there is many more to come might help me reach into my pockets and buy ableton
nonplus 1:54 AM - 21 August, 2010
aux sends all the audio. flex fx lets you route the audio pre send.
Dj Intel Army 2:19 AM - 21 August, 2010
Sorry for the confusion i was referring to aux out
Can you use two decks (with mp3s on them) and then route the ableton/bridge set through the aux out?
DJ Dub Cowboy 2:24 AM - 21 August, 2010
Eskei in the Bridge Mixtape Video

www.serato.com
nonplus 2:27 AM - 21 August, 2010
i don't really follow what your trying to do. if you just want the sound from the ableton/bridge set to play without loading it on a deck the audio streams in the background in the same way the sp-6 sampler works.
Dj Intel Army 3:09 AM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:
i don't really follow what your trying to do. if you just want the sound from the ableton/bridge set to play without loading it on a deck the audio streams in the background in the same way the sp-6 sampler works.

Ohh ok thanks
Trinicapone 4:05 AM - 21 August, 2010
Nonplus I have the m-audio fast track pro and I am confused how to set up my 57 with ableton to record on the fly. Before I ask the same question can I pull this set up off with my sound card and if you can can you post a pic with your set up?
Eskei83 6:51 AM - 21 August, 2010
hey... thanks for sharing the video LilSwann..

I use the FlexFX of the 57 and the Send/Returns.

the send is going into my soundcard (audio 4) routed to a channel in ableton live.
the master out of ableton live is routed back into the return of the 57.

on my right deck/channel FlexFX is enabled. that allows me to record my scratches without the master output of my mixer... it's just the prefader signal of my right channel.

it should work with any mixer with Send/Return. i tried it with a DJM800 and it worked ...

when i recorded the video there was no TUNNEL. it should work with an SL3 and the AUX in/outs too. i havn't tried out yet ...
Eskei83 6:54 AM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:
dang well until then
Watchwww.youtube.com

btw this video is without THE BRIDGE ... but the same setup ... i had to sync my tracks by myself ;)
nonplus 1:18 PM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:
Nonplus I have the m-audio fast track pro and I am confused how to set up my 57 with ableton to record on the fly. Before I ask the same question can I pull this set up off with my sound card and if you can can you post a pic with your set up?

you can set it up with any sound card as long as you have the right cables. for the fast track pro your gonna need 4x 1/4 to 1/4 trs cables or 4x 1/4 to rca cables. once you have those just follow these instructions and you should be good.

Quote:

arm the track to record.
then record.

if your still confused i'll try to walk you through it. i have to work all weekend but maybe i'll post a video early this week.
LilSwann 2:36 PM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:

the send is going into my soundcard (audio 4) routed to a channel in ableton live.

on my right deck/channel FlexFX is enabled. that allows me to record my scratches without the master output of my mixer... it's just the prefader signal of my right channel.

it should work with any mixer with Send/Return. i tried it with a DJM800 and it worked ...

when i recorded the video there was no TUNNEL. it should work with an SL3 and the AUX in/outs too. i havn't tried out yet ...

no problem Eskei thanks for explaining the setup definitely something i would do once i get Ableton.....The Bridge looks so sweet!!!!
LilSwann 7:39 PM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:

there's one thing i'm confused about tho......how are you sending the master out of ableton and still outputing the signal thru SSL? If i understand correctly when using the bridge there is an Serato driver you use so that you can send ableton audio thru SSL on one of the decks which it looks likes ur doing so how are sending master thru your deck in SSL and to the send/return on ur mixer at the same time?
Dj Shamann 7:50 PM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:

there's one thing i'm confused about tho......how are you sending the master out of ableton and still outputing the signal thru SSL? If i understand correctly when using the bridge there is an Serato driver you use so that you can send ableton audio thru SSL on one of the decks which it looks likes ur doing so how are sending master thru your deck in SSL and to the send/return on ur mixer at the same time?

In your preferences go to audio, and you can choose different drivers for both your in and out of Ableton.

Nice videos Eskei83, this = opposite of watching paint dry (no midi fighter)
I'd be interested to watch more once you've been able to really get into the program.
LilSwann 8:24 PM - 21 August, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

In your preferences go to audio, and you can choose different drivers for both your in and out of Ableton.

oh ok i didn't even know u could do that thanks Shamann
Eskei83 7:19 AM - 22 August, 2010
I'll post my setup when i'm back home. I'm on tour right now...
LilSwann 7:24 AM - 22 August, 2010
Quote:
I'll post my setup when i'm back home. I'm on tour right now...

alrite good shot man
Serato
Sean.C 8:16 PM - 22 August, 2010
nice work!
DjWoody 1:24 AM - 23 August, 2010
The Bridge is just got more interesting. James Zabiela jumped on board!!! For anyone that knows anything about JZ, you know he is THE MAN when it comes to technology & DJing.

He just tweeted this...

"Serato + Ableton Bridge Beta + CDJ2000 w/HID Connectivity = MEGA! yfrog.com (check whitesnake in my playlist, yeeaah)"
Dj Intel Army 1:25 AM - 23 August, 2010
Quote:
The Bridge is just got more interesting. James Zabiela jumped on board!!! For anyone that knows anything about JZ, you know he is THE MAN when it comes to technology & DJing.

He just tweeted this...

"Serato + Ableton Bridge Beta + CDJ2000 w/HID Connectivity = MEGA! yfrog.com (check whitesnake in my playlist, yeeaah)"

James is THE MAN
Trinicapone 3:20 AM - 23 August, 2010
Quote:

This is a cool set up for the bridge!

Eskei83 I am new to Ableton and I have a similar setup to yours but when you loop your scratch from ableton are you using looper? Also my biggest problem is my soundcard is the main output for my krks and my sub. So even if I had an Audio 4 (M-Audio Fast Track Pro) how would I have 1 output for Serato, Ableton and then Bride. I can't see how I can use them separately if i have my send/return occupying the master output or am I missing something?

Quote:
Quote:

you can set it up with any sound card as long as you have the right cables. for the fast track pro your gonna need 4x 1/4 to 1/4 trs cables or 4x 1/4 to rca cables. once you have those just follow these instructions and you should be good.

Quote:

arm the track to record.
then record.

if your still confused i'll try to walk you through it. i have to work all weekend but maybe i'll post a video early this week.

I hope you can help
nonplus 5:03 PM - 23 August, 2010
there still seems to be some confusion about how to set the bridge up for live looping. it's really simple... i'll try to explain it better. this is the same routing eskei is using.

1st the hardware routing. it doesn't matter what soundcard you use...

1. 1 set of cables in your sound card out routed to the flex fx in.
2. 1 set of cables in your sound card in routed to the flex fx out.
3. your speakers HAVE TO BE attached to your mixer for this to work. (master or aux)
4. arm the flex fx button: if you want to record the left deck, push the left button in. if you want to record the right deck, push the right button in.

now for the computer stuff...

1. open ableton
2.open serato
3. open ableton preferences
4. under driver type, select your soundcard (not the serato driver) then select the proper in/out settings pertaining to your sound card.
5. load empty audio track in ableton
6. (arm record) in the audio track you've loaded there will be a little rectangle with a circle in it. click that with your mouse. it will turn red.
7. load your ableton set on the serato deck you DO NOT want to loop. (see the bridge pdf instructions if your confused)
8. load any file you want on the serato deck you DO want to loop.
9. push play on both decks. you should now see your signal level in ableton regerstering.
10. push rec. if you don't know how to do record in ableton you need to get familiar. there are many settings and tools for looping in ableton live. what settings work for you is what works best.

after you record into your track in ableton the audio will be bounced on to the turntable with the "ableton set" playing on it.

i don't think there's an easier way to explain this. if you follow these instruction and can do simple tasks in ableton you should have no problem. if anyone gets stuck i will be more than happy to talk you through the process.
SiRocket 8:00 PM - 23 August, 2010
nonplus, great explanation, VERY NICE!
Trinicapone 2:39 AM - 24 August, 2010
Thanx Nonplus! I got it
nonplus 2:45 AM - 24 August, 2010
no doubt man. happy to help.
Dj Intel Army 3:04 AM - 24 August, 2010
Nice one nonplus
Eskei83 8:23 AM - 28 January, 2011
here's a new video with some more routines.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Audio1 5:06 PM - 28 January, 2011
SAUCEY!
howcome 5:16 PM - 28 January, 2011
Nice!
Deejay Akrylik 5:23 PM - 28 January, 2011
my colleague eskei great mixes! greetings from Buenos Aires Argentina, I make a query

Watchwww.youtube.com

I'm going crazy I have wanted to use ableton loop in 1:15 minutes and do so automatically Loope Transformers ableton you're doing with the melody, sorry for my bad English!
djdalite 6:57 PM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com

shits sick

how are you transitioning from hi - lo tempos like the MGMT/Chiddy Bang routine - you were using the orginal MGMT track right then chaning tempos with your ableton made beat/triggering dicer - shit was dope
id like to see the whole routine - you basically were using like the MPC to switch beats and cuttin over/ addin efx from 57 ?

im new to all of it and dont fully understand how it was all mapped out
Audio1 6:59 PM - 28 January, 2011
With The Bridge, Whatever pitch you got on the decks, Ableton will follow it. If you notice he starts pitching it down on one turntable. The whole project follows it as master tempo. Maybe other Bridge users can shed more light into it.
djdalite 7:09 PM - 28 January, 2011
o, easy enough - just seems like he went more than 8% - looking at it again i guess not
Audio1 7:14 PM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:
o, easy enough - just seems like he went more than 8% - looking at it again i guess not
the parameters for master tempo are probably set in Ableton.
Eskei83 7:30 PM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:
With The Bridge, Whatever pitch you got on the decks, Ableton will follow it. If you notice he starts pitching it down on one turntable. The whole project follows it as master tempo. Maybe other Bridge users can shed more light into it.

exactly. the trick is to turn the power of the turntable off (it was on 45rpm) to slow it down and put it back on when it got the right speed (98BPM) or whatever.

Ableton is following and making the tempo chance as well.
ta2423 7:31 PM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:

Watchwww.youtube.com Watchwww.youtube.com

Dammit... I was under the impression that you couldnt use the bridge, live suite, apc40 and dicers ?
How are your usb's plugged in? What would be a safe routing for me?
MBP 17 i-7, 57sl, dicers, external hd. Would a powered usb work with the dicers and apc40 w/o causing issues?
ta2423 7:32 PM - 28 January, 2011
Powered usb hub...
Deejay Akrylik 7:41 PM - 28 January, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

exactly. the trick is to turn the power of the turntable off (it was on 45rpm) to slow it down and put it back on when it got the right speed (98BPM) or whatever.

Ableton is following and making the tempo chance as well.

thanks for replying .....
Eric N 7:50 PM - 28 January, 2011
This stuff is incredible. Need to save up for the legit Ableton license and the APC so that I can start messing with this kinda stuff.. I have all of the rest of the necessary tools. Truly mind-blowing shizz, Eksei83!
Eskei83 8:07 PM - 28 January, 2011
It works with a high quality USB hub.

I've my Audio 4 soundcard runnin tru the hub.

MPD24, APC20, Dicer,VFX-1, Audio4 and the cam I recorded the video with to this hub.
ta2423 8:17 PM - 28 January, 2011
Thanks.
geeunot 11:31 AM - 30 January, 2011
dope stuff!
Dj Hype07 5:15 PM - 14 February, 2011
on thr rca to 1/4 does it have to be dual rca to one 1/4 or dual rca to dual 1/4?
Dj Hype07 8:49 PM - 14 February, 2011
nvm already found out but how do you set it up with the djm 800 and traktor audio 8 and fix the latency?
Eskei83 11:31 PM - 14 February, 2011
you can set the buffer size in ableton
Dj Hype07 12:00 AM - 15 February, 2011
cool just tyring to see which is the best so theirs no delay know how to hook it all up with a djm 800 it would be easier if there was just a tutorial on how to do this lol
dj_soo 1:26 AM - 15 February, 2011
i'd like to see your gear chain... do you have ableton and serato running through seperate channels ? or is everything coming through the 57?
Eskei83 8:26 AM - 15 February, 2011
@dj_soo: The 57 is the main mixer.
@hype: depends on your laptop. Smaller buffer = lower latency = more CPU
dj_soo 9:51 AM - 15 February, 2011
Quote:
@dj_soo: The 57 is the main mixer.
@hype: depends on your laptop. Smaller buffer = lower latency = more CPU

so you're running ableton internally through the software eh? Really, really wish the 57 supported the aux channel in the software myself...
Eskei83 10:21 AM - 15 February, 2011
If you want to record audio to Ableton using the bridge you need to use an extra soundcard. you can choose a different driver than the Serato driver and use your own soundcard.
DJ C.ZAR 11:12 AM - 15 February, 2011
hi Eskei how u fix the apc 20 ??
i'm using apc 40 but realize that when i push the button play the answer of the sound is a little delayed.i'm new in ableton i searched many tutorials to solve this issue ,but till didn't find something.
big up mr dj!!!!!!
Eskei83 12:56 PM - 15 February, 2011
Hi C.ZAR, what do you mean with the play button? launching a scene?
DJ C.ZAR 1:10 PM - 15 February, 2011
yes i mean launch a scene even with keyboard i had this delay.
i would like to know your set apc set up.
"ableton launch button doesn't react like pressing cue point in ableton"
i want to configurate my ableton 2 react like serato cue point no delay when press it.
i know i sure don't fix well my ableton
Eskei83 1:43 PM - 15 February, 2011
ah ok!

it's easy. ableton's behavior is it to launch a clip in time. so if you launch a clip, ableton starts at the first beat. you need to turn that off to drop samples in time...
ta2423 4:16 PM - 15 February, 2011
Quote:
ah ok!

it's easy. ableton's behavior is it to launch a clip in time. so if you launch a clip, ableton starts at the first beat. you need to turn that off to drop samples in time...

Good to know... Is that in the preference menu? I dont think in the 20 inch manual that they mention this.
Eskei83 4:23 PM - 15 February, 2011
you can edit this behaviour globally or for each clip individually ...

globally: next to the play/stop buttons on top of the screen there's an drop down menu with the measures (1BAR, ...). just put that to none

individually: in each clip you can adjust it with the little "L in the circle"-icon and than quantisation to none ...

i think i need a ableton-mate-icon next to my user-name, he? :D
ta2423 5:08 PM - 15 February, 2011
Ha.... Looks like youre working on it... Thanks
DJ C.ZAR 5:34 PM - 15 February, 2011
thanks for patience ,time and dedication Eskei you're the man!!!!!!!!!
Dj Hype07 6:11 PM - 15 February, 2011
Ah ok thanks nice to know man just make a tutorial hahah or some pics or something you do sick stuff man good talking to you and taking your time to explain the stuff
CHMIELIX 3:47 PM - 29 July, 2011
Is it possible to arm track in ableton without switching the view from serato to ableton? I cant use any midi controler cause I dont have a hub (probably will have to get one).

And another question - did u use Looper from ableton or u just recorded audio directly into a clip?
Dj Ollie 12:46 AM - 9 February, 2012
Quote:

"rca's from the soundcard into the flex fx
arm the track to record.
then record."

- Now all of that works fine I'm using my ttm57 and a Konnekt 6, and was wondering how you can monitor this through the ttm57...My Konnekt has it's own headphone jack ouput but I don't want to use 2 sets of headphones if not necessary...

Thanks,

Ollie