Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Mix Bookmark, User-Configurable Buttons (KEYMAPPING), Specify Analyze Playlist

aliastx 3:33 PM - 13 August, 2010
1. One more came to mind - what about a "Mix Bookmark" button or something that will allow you to say - "Hey, these two tracks go together really well. I'd like to work on this at home and maybe include it in my next recorded mix." Eventually, this could be expanded to even SUGGEST tracks that mix well with the track you're playing so it would help you out if you're having trouble finding something to transition into (DISCLAIMER: some may start using this feature as a crutch, leading to bland, repetitive sets)

2. Most games allow you to re-map your keys - for example some people like to use WASD and others ESDF and still others 8456 for movement. ScratchLive is not a game, but both are intensive pieces of software. By allowing users to custom keymap their own commands on their keyboard, I believe you would resolve a lot of the requests in this section as well because people will be able to use Serato exactly the way THEY want to use it. That said, I have never seen a bar/club using ONE laptop for their setup, every DJ brings their own laptop and hard drive, so you wouldn't have to worry about people losing "transferability" by customizing their own keys - and of course, have a "reset to defaults" button and you're good to go!

3. I'd like to be able to specify to ScratchLive EXACTLY which playlist(s) I'd like to be analyzed/re-analyzed - don't want to re-analyze my entire library every time, it takes too long. Also, since the information is stored WITHIN the ID3 tag of the file (brilliant process flow design by the way), perhaps include a switch that tells the software that some of the fields that are normally filled by Analysis have been user-edited and thus, should not be overwritten by the Re-Analyze command unless directly told to do so. (Like if Serato misreads the BPM [rarely], and I tap it out and correct it, don't want Serato go to thru and overwrite my corrections!)
wrosenbl12 2:24 AM - 15 August, 2010
1. No. label your tracks if you need a reminder. you said it best yourself: "(DISCLAIMER: some may start using this feature as a crutch, leading to bland, repetitive sets)"

2. I OFTEN spin or drop a few tracks for a buddy on his computer...and visa versa...(piss breaks...to take a shot with the owner of the club...when we split an easy event that may only need background music...ect) customizable key shortcuts would screw with that. although i'm all for having another option of keyboard shortcuts...for example one for ppl who use internal mode and one for turntablists.

3. you can...select the tracks and drag them to the analyze button.
aliastx 4:23 PM - 16 August, 2010
1. The point is to minimize the user's input as much as possible while spinning a live set - hence the suggestion to have the software "flag" it for you or something like that

2. VERY good point - my suggestion then is to not have a "reset to defaults" button, but rather a toggle button that switches between the default keymappings and the custom keymappings

3. Maybe it doesn't do it for me because I'm using iTunes to manage my music/send playlists to my iPod so I can prep in the car. Would change this suggestion to offer analyze functionality with iTunes playlists as well.