DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Easier Way of Handing Over/Playing back to back/USB Channel Routing

nik39 6:27 PM - 11 August, 2010
--- The Problem --

I think the way how DJ's switch on the 68 should be simplified. For the average DJ it is just too complicated (and thus error prone!) to set up and understand the USB routing.

Plus it is not very comfortable to play on two laptops switching forth and back, because everytime you have to free up the USB channels (from the drop down menu above the virtual decks) on one laptop, and reassign the USB channels on the other laptop. E-v-e-r-y-t-i-m-e you switch decks!

--- My Suggestion ---

1. To simplify the process we need something automagic like the calibration button. You click on a button, it will automatically detect which inputs carry a control signal and which USB channels are used. It will automagically choose two of these free ports. (Details like what happens if not enough free channels are available can be specified)

2. It should be possible to use one control signal input for multiple decks. This means for example DJ A can use the turntables connected to input 1 and 2, and will output his audio to USB channel 1 and 2. DJ B can leave his laptop connected and can use the same inputs 1 and 2 to control his decks, but he is on USB channel 3 and 4. This way all you have to do is to turn down the appropriate line fader. Instead of having to change the USB channels on both computers all the time.

3. Move the USB channel selectors to the setup menu. Usually you should need to change this only once during the night. This also would be consistent with the control signal source selecter for the TTM57. All this unnecessary settings and controls on the main screen are intimidating for the average (Dee-)Joe.

---

Questions? Comments? Improvements? If you like this idea, please say so... so that Rane+Serato knows that people are looking for a simplification and advancement. If you don't like it, please explain why. :)
Konix 10:41 PM - 11 August, 2010
Well, I agree there needs to be a simpler way, no doubt.
Mr.Nice 4:04 AM - 13 August, 2010
I agree with every word, it's a great solution you've suggested.

It took me and a friend about 10 min reading the manual and fiddleing with settings for it ti work... As it stands, it would be impossible to work out for non 68 users in a busy club environment.
s3kn0tr0n1c 10:46 AM - 13 August, 2010
I dont think its hard at all and i managed it first time no problem.

the only thing like is to be able to select the channels that are already being used by dj on before me just to set up my scopes whilst they dj and im waiting to go on, obv couldnt stream music to them until they finished......
DJBIGWIZ 5:43 PM - 13 August, 2010
good ideas.

and I like "automagic"
=)
DJBIGWIZ 5:45 PM - 13 August, 2010
also, it took me a min to realize you were talking about a situation where the 2 DJ's are sharing 2 turntables... I kept thinking ...what's the problem... you each have your own 2 decks... no need to switch back and forth. but, yeah... if 2 cats are sharing 2 decks your ideas are on point
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:47 PM - 13 August, 2010
What if 2 dogs were sharing 2 decks WIZ?

;)
djcrap 8:38 PM - 13 August, 2010
Quote:

;)

am lost do you mean 2 dogs sharing a fire hydrant.......lol
nik39 9:34 PM - 13 August, 2010
Quote:
also, it took me a min to realize you were talking about a situation where the 2 DJ's are sharing 2 turntables... I kept thinking ...what's the problem... you each have your own 2 decks... no need to switch back and forth. but, yeah... if 2 cats are sharing 2 decks your ideas are on point

Yeah, sorry for being unclear. Two decks only. :)

Sk3n, the process might bbe ok who are really familiar with the mixer. But I think if Rane wants to establish the mixer in the clubs then the process should be a lot easier for the average djs, and those who do not know the mixer a lot.
DJ Dub Cowboy 11:42 PM - 13 August, 2010
what about a GUI button that we can configure in the set-up screen for a quick swap
maybe at the top of the screen

A | switches Decks to USB1 & USB2, puts USB3 & USB4 into internal mode
B | switches Decks to USB3 & USB4, puts USB1 & USB2 into internal mode

Similar to the way it is now in that DJ A would have to release control before DJ B could take it, but instead of switching each deck it would be one button configured for the night depending on where the primary decks are on the mixer.

not sure if that makes sense...just cutting down the steps of switching two decks into one action.
DJMark 1:57 AM - 14 August, 2010
Quote:

That's also the most likely scenario in an install situation.
DJBIGWIZ 4:46 AM - 16 August, 2010
Quote:

;)

hahaha... better than sharing a bone
Dj Ace 2:58 AM - 24 August, 2010
Quote:
what about a GUI button that we can configure in the set-up screen for a quick swap
maybe at the top of the screen

A | switches Decks to USB1 & USB2, puts USB3 & USB4 into internal mode
B | switches Decks to USB3 & USB4, puts USB1 & USB2 into internal mode

Similar to the way it is now in that DJ A would have to release control before DJ B could take it, but instead of switching each deck it would be one button configured for the night depending on where the primary decks are on the mixer.

I like this idea...
not sure if that makes sense...just cutting down the steps of switching two decks into one action.
Dj Ace 2:58 AM - 24 August, 2010
sorry for the missed quote....LOL

but i REALLY like this idea
D-Twizzle 7:25 AM - 10 November, 2010
i'm late to the party, but i just got the 68.
i know these aren't usually recommended, but would using an rca splitter on the turntables be a quick fix to this issue? left turntable can be set to usb1 and usb3 and right turntable to usb2 and usb4. then pc1 would use usb1 and usb2, while pc2 uses usb3 and usb4.
hope that makes sense. let me know if there's any cons to this idea.
nik39 7:39 AM - 10 November, 2010
Quote:
i know these aren't usually recommended, but would using an rca splitter on the turntables be a quick fix to this issue?

I think I will use these the next time.

It is a shame though that we have to use this ugly workaround on a mixer like this :-(
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:23 PM - 10 November, 2010
Quote:
i'm late to the party, but i just got the 68.
i know these aren't usually recommended, but would using an rca splitter on the turntables be a quick fix to this issue? left turntable can be set to usb1 and usb3 and right turntable to usb2 and usb4. then pc1 would use usb1 and usb2, while pc2 uses usb3 and usb4.
hope that makes sense. let me know if there's any cons to this idea.

Are you going to be using this saturday nights at quilceda?

Splitting the truntables control signal isn't advised. It can introduce noise to the signal and the software might not be able to 100% read the incoming tone.
nik39 6:52 PM - 10 November, 2010
Chad, we would not have to do it if the process of handing over was easier. The way it is now, it is too confusing and complicated.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 6:58 PM - 10 November, 2010
I disagree. lol, no disrespect meant and I understand each user will have a different experience, but for me, if I'm paying attention, it's never been an issue. Again, thats me and in no way am i trying to "cheapen" your request. ;)
D-Twizzle 7:04 PM - 10 November, 2010
Quote:
Are you going to be using this saturday nights at quilceda?

Splitting the truntables control signal isn't advised. It can introduce noise to the signal and the software might not be able to 100% read the incoming tone.

They have a 68 at Volume Night Club in Pioneer Square (old Heaven's) and I'll be splitting the night with DJ Christyle this Friday so we'll be going back and forth every 30-45 minutes.

I'll be at Quil Ceda Creek on Saturday, but since I'll be spinning the whole night by myself, I'll just bring my ttm57. Come by if you're in the area, I do video all night.
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:11 PM - 10 November, 2010
I'm always there for the UFC fights and I giggle everytime..... I forgot her name... but she gets on the mic and announces a "video dj" is coming up. Good sound in there and plenty of screen space too! I actually lurk and spy sometimes ;) Place gets crackin'
D-Twizzle 7:18 PM - 10 November, 2010
Quote:
Chad, we would not have to do it if the process of handing over was easier. The way it is now, it is too confusing and complicated.

I agree. The steps aren't really complicated, but it can get confusing when you're trying to make the quick switch. I'm use to the dual sl1s piggy backed into a pioneer djm800 with all 4 channels active when going back and forth between 2 djs.
D-Twizzle 7:21 PM - 10 November, 2010
Quote:
I'm always there for the UFC fights and I giggle everytime..... I forgot her name... but she gets on the mic and announces a "video dj" is coming up. Good sound in there and plenty of screen space too! I actually lurk and spy sometimes ;)

It must be Kristen. I think there's a Pacquiao fight before I go on this Saturday. Come up to the booth if you're there.
s3kn0tr0n1c 2:13 PM - 28 November, 2010
Ive just been back to backing all day with 2 pcs each using the same 3 decks into same 3 channels on mixer and it is a little annoying each time you want to swap you gotta disable the usb inputs before you can assign them to other dj.

What about being able to have BOTH users to be able to choose the (same)usb inputs ALL the time. So at start of session you can just set up both PC's then when its time to swap you just select which PC gets to stream music by ejecting tracks from the unwanted pc.

All you would have to do on to allow the next dj to stream into channels on mixer would be to eject tracks from the channel on "prev dj pc". This would allow you to mix into the last djs track. Then after you mix out prev dj track you eject it from his sl and voila you have all decks at your disposal.

Would make hand overs EASY and allow mixin between 2 pcs