Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

GUIDE (Feb 2010) - How to IVTC music videos and encode w/ x264

DJ Brett B 6:19 PM - 8 February, 2010
Hi everyone,

I made this (hopefully simple) guide on how to IVTC (inverse telecine) your videos before encoding. Since most videos (not all, but a lot of them) are filmed at 24 frames per second, you don't want to encode the 30 fps material that you get from PO, ScreenPlay, etc. Unfortunately, pretty much everyone seems to be doing it wrong, and I am hoping that will change. The only person/service I've seen actually doing this correctly so far is SmashVidz.

Anyway, this does require Windows, but this process is going to give you better results than anything else, I promise. Better encodes, smoother frame rates, and more efficient playback in Video SL.

Here's the link: Watchwww.youtube.com
Be sure to watch in 720p as you'll be able to read the text more easily.

Note: I left out a few things (such as replacing audio with CD-source stuff) just for simplicity; I am just focusing on the video in this tutorial.

Please let me know if there are any questions and I'd be more than happy to help. I really hope more people can start using this method, it'll be better for all of us.

Brett
D-Twizzle 6:30 PM - 8 February, 2010
Thanks for updating the guide Brett. I've been getting nice results with your old guide.
DJ Pimp 6:40 PM - 8 February, 2010
Thank you!
Rebelguy 6:57 PM - 8 February, 2010
Dope man...
DJ-Phat-AL 7:27 PM - 8 February, 2010
thanks for the video! It will help a lot of users here!
DJMuErTe 8:24 PM - 8 February, 2010
very nice video!!!! thank you
DJ Pimp 8:33 PM - 8 February, 2010
Do you have any suggestions for rendering preferences in Sony Vegas after quick edit of a video?
DJ Brett B 8:37 PM - 8 February, 2010
Well, when I edit in Vegas, I always do something similar to this process first, except instead of encoding with MeGUI, I create an uncompressed AVI with VirtualDub (just load the .avs into VirtualDub and then save the uncompressed AVI).

Then, I edit with that file in Vegas, and then render, again, an uncompressed AVI out of Vegas. After that, I create an .avs script that looks like this:

DirectShowSource("vegasproject.avi")
ConvertToYV12()

Then load that .avs into MeGUI and encode as normal. This way, you're only going through one encoding stage.

Hope that helps!
DJ Brett B 8:38 PM - 8 February, 2010
Also, it is ESSENTIAL that your Vegas project settings are equal to that of the AVI you're editing with. So, for instance, if you've got a 640x360 video at 23.976 fps, make sure you set that in Vegas as well.
Dj TopDonn 10:22 PM - 8 February, 2010
Cool. I will definately try this out.
Joshua Carl 10:37 PM - 8 February, 2010
"a little bit of a learning curve?"

haaaaaaaaaa!

great post man.

maybe u guys can explain this one to me.
I understand how when u go from a 24 to 29.97/30 fps it does that by making
dupes (like u mentioned every 5th frame)
but you also said to keep it at the original fps rate (so, why is there a dupe frame?)

thanks man, so informative
DJ Brett B 11:00 PM - 8 February, 2010
It's just because the DVD spec requires 29.97 fps. So, that's just the method that's employed to handle 23.976 fps material -- three progressive frames, and two combed frames. Fortunately, Blu-ray allows real 23.976 fps progressive stuff, but I doubt we'll be seeing any music videos on Blu any time soon.
Joshua Carl 11:30 PM - 8 February, 2010
Oh, ok.
so the original media is 23.976 but when its put onto the DVD it shoots to 29.97?
then we are just down-converting it back to its original format of 23.976

if they all come up saying 29.97, how do we know it was initially 23.976 and requires
the duplicate frames removed?
and will VSL have any issues vith a file rendered at anything other than 29.97
I thought I read that 29.97 is the preffered FPS rate?

sorry for the Inquisition Brett... Im at that point where I know just enough to be dangerous (to myself) in the realm of videos
DJ Brett B 12:22 AM - 9 February, 2010
Nah, it's all good! I'm glad people are asking questions.

The easiest way to find out whether to IVTC it is to put the TDeint() line into the AviSynth script (and don't do the Decimate line yet). Then, load into MeGUI and start hitting the right arrow on your keyboard. If you see four frames and then a duplicate, then you know to remove that. If you keep seeing constant frames already, then you've got 29.97 material.

23.976 material actually runs better in VSL than 29.97. Less frames to decode = less CPU required. It also means that when the software has to blend frames (which it pretty much always does since you're adjusting pitch), it's blending from the raw individual frames, and not an already blended source (which is what most crap deinterlacers do.. they just blend the two combed frames). Just gives you better performance all around.

VSL actually supports quite a bit, as long as it's encoded properly. Heck, I even have some 59.94fps files in my library that work just fine.
Dj TopDonn 12:22 AM - 9 February, 2010
Brett, thanks for the tutorial. I alreadly went through it and have got to the point of trying some encodes using your workflow. However, I have lot of VOB's that i ripped from PAL DVD's which themselves are at 25fps. With these type of sources is necessary to remove the extra (duplicate frames). If does not not seem to make an difference for me.
DJ Brett B 12:25 AM - 9 February, 2010
Ah, that one is tricky. If the video was actually recorded in PAL (meaning it's actual 25fps source) then you don't need to do anything.. just deinterlace and encode.

However, if the video was originally film or NTSC (23.976 or 29.97) and then converted to PAL, you're pretty much out of luck, as they have to apply frame blending to those sources to get them to look good for PAL uses. If you can get your hands on other sources for the video, definitely do so.
Dj TopDonn 2:13 AM - 9 February, 2010
Cool, it is actually the original PAL and actual 25fps. The workflow has already helped with one of two other files though. I do have PO and Screen Play DVD's so either way very very useful. Thanks again.
Hitman303 7:04 AM - 9 February, 2010
Can those settings be achieved using Sorenson Squeeze. I've been using Phat Al's encoding settings found here. How does that compare?
www.serato.com
DJ Brett B 11:49 AM - 9 February, 2010
I'm not sure, as I don't have experience with Sorenson Squeeze. I did some searching and I don't think that Squeeze has the ability to perform IVTC. It can, however, crop and output as widescreen if appropriate (you'd have to do this manually, though).
VJ Justin Allen 11:55 AM - 9 February, 2010
Of course Squeeze has the ability to do IVTC, it's a professional encoder.

Look under the filters section
DJ Brett B 1:53 PM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:
Of course Squeeze has the ability to do IVTC, it's a professional encoder.

Look under the filters section

I stand corrected.
Hitman303 4:19 PM - 9 February, 2010
thanks DJ Brett for the guide, and for your help.

thanks Justin, I will take a look at the IVTC settings in Sorenson.
D-Twizzle 4:26 PM - 9 February, 2010
Sorenson Squeeze is picky with IVTC. I remember I was trying to use it on an older version and my files would become out of sync when using the IVTC filter.
a-swift 4:27 PM - 9 February, 2010
nik39 and I tried convincing everybody that the pulldown was ruining their videos years ago but no one seemed to care. they were happy to deinterlace the pulled down material (ruining it even further).

i'm glad to see some of you finally taking notice that the you need to remove the pulldown before editing or converting to mp4.

i just wish all dvd material was the same so the same process could be used for every video.
a-swift 4:37 PM - 9 February, 2010
Oh btw, I'd bet that smashvidz gets a lot of their videos in the native frame rate, before the pulldown was added.
Rebelguy 4:43 PM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:
nik39 and I tried convincing everybody that the pulldown was ruining their videos years ago but no one seemed to care. they were happy to deinterlace the pulled down material (ruining it even further).

It's not that we didn't care. This is just the first tutorial that got posted.
Hitman303 4:44 PM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:
Sorenson Squeeze is picky with IVTC. I remember I was trying to use it on an older version and my files would become out of sync when using the IVTC filter.

thanks d-twizzle, so you're currently not using IVTC setting on Sorenson. I wonder how the new version can handle it.
a-swift 4:56 PM - 9 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

It's not that we didn't care. This is just the first tutorial that got posted.

before my last tutorial i did, i actually was going to post a tutorial on pulldown removal. the topic was pretty much ignored by everyone so i just moved on to something different.

i'm just glad people are starting to take notice. the absolute worst are the sites that happily ruin pulled down material by deinterlacing it, and then selling the videos like that. this is the worst because once they've been deinterlaced, you'll never get back the 23.98 frames in tact.

i have plenty of ruined videos from the early days so i know what i'm talking about.
a-swift 5:02 PM - 9 February, 2010
maybe a tutorial for mac users is still in order though. compressor, after effects, custom scripts and shake can also remove pulldown on the mac. after effects is the only one though that can auto-detect the cadence AND allow you to override the detected cadence and supply your own pattern. compressor just auto-detects and you pretty much need to supply the cadence to shake in order for it to work.

also, i didn't watch his tutorial but I'd be concerned about source material that was shot with the so called "advanced pulldown" or 2:3:3:2 cadence. Obviously if the pulldown removal only knows how to deal with 3:2 (or 2:3, whichever you prefer), then it will seriously bungle source frames with 2:3:3:2 pulldown.

Anyway, glad to see people doing this. Now get someone from all those crap sites ruining videos to read this thread.
a-swift 5:03 PM - 9 February, 2010
oh I forgot to mention that AE can remove 3:2 and 2:3:3:2
Betow 12:35 AM - 10 February, 2010
Is there any limitations on the operating system to do this? Would someone need XP or above?
Rebelguy 3:27 AM - 10 February, 2010
Quote:
Is there any limitations on the operating system to do this? Would someone need XP or above?

Are you on Windows 98? JK
KMXE 7:53 AM - 10 February, 2010
Quote:
maybe a tutorial for mac users is still in order though. compressor, after effects, custom scripts and shake can also remove pulldown on the mac. after effects is the only one though that can auto-detect the cadence AND allow you to override the detected cadence and supply your own pattern. compressor just auto-detects and you pretty much need to supply the cadence to shake in order for it to work.

also, i didn't watch his tutorial but I'd be concerned about source material that was shot with the so called "advanced pulldown" or 2:3:3:2 cadence. Obviously if the pulldown removal only knows how to deal with 3:2 (or 2:3, whichever you prefer), then it will seriously bungle source frames with 2:3:3:2 pulldown.

Anyway, glad to see people doing this. Now get someone from all those crap sites ruining videos to read this thread.

if you do this that would be brilliant..... the mac tutorial i mean.... im trying to ween myself off PC!
DJ Brett B 12:04 PM - 10 February, 2010
Yeah, I'd like to know how to do this on the Mac as well. I still use Windows for my primary workstation OS but it would be nice to know.

A-Swift, there are ways for AviSynth to handle 2:3:3:2 pulldown material, however I've _never_ seen this used in any of the footage I edit.
DJ Brett B 12:06 PM - 10 February, 2010
Quote:

Yeah, I've been trying to get people on this for two years now but, indeed, nobody seems to care (or understand the difference). Quite frustrating...
DVDjHardy 2:32 PM - 10 February, 2010
Nice tutorial Brett, thanks. Now I gotta install bootcamp...
a-swift 7:01 PM - 10 February, 2010
Quote:

A-Swift, there are ways for AviSynth to handle 2:3:3:2 pulldown material, however I've _never_ seen this used in any of the footage I edit.

I'll send you some. hahhaa.

we just shot a music video using HVX200. these are VERY popular cameras for shooting music videos.
Betow 10:30 PM - 10 February, 2010
Do all videos then have the pulldown? I have started to use this process, and I am taking each video one on one, and adjusting the crop size, but I want to make sure I am Dec(5) when I should be, and leaving it along when I should.
Betow 11:52 PM - 10 February, 2010
Also, rendering MPEG4's this way, how does that affect the keyframe? I was always understanding that Serato used keyframes as reference points in the song..
DJ Czar 12:16 AM - 11 February, 2010
While there are tools on the Mac that can do IVTC, both commercial (Compressor, Cinema Tools) and freeware (JES Deinterlacer), none of them do even close to a good job of dealing with broken cadence material, such as most music videos shot on film, telecined to standard def, and then edited in a 60i environment.

As far as advanced pulldown, I have NEVER seen it used in final delivery. Advanced pulldown is usually added by 24p capable cameras to facilitate easy removal during ingestion into an NLE. The project could then be edited naively at 24p and a standard, 3:2 pulldown added when the final edited master is output to tape.
DJ Brett B 12:22 AM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
While there are tools on the Mac that can do IVTC, both commercial (Compressor, Cinema Tools) and freeware (JES Deinterlacer), none of them do even close to a good job of dealing with broken cadence material, such as most music videos shot on film, telecined to standard def, and then edited in a 60i environment.

AviSynth can handle this. Granted, there are a few frames (lasting less than a second) each time the cadence is broken where it can get a little choppy, but it quickly figures out the cadence again and picks up correctly.
DJ Brett B 12:24 AM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
Do all videos then have the pulldown? I have started to use this process, and I am taking each video one on one, and adjusting the crop size, but I want to make sure I am Dec(5) when I should be, and leaving it along when I should.

As I mentioned in the video, most require IVTC, but some do not. Easiest way to figure it out is to start with just TDeint() in the script and not the Decimate(5). Then in the preview window, start seeking frame-by-frame. If you see four frames and then a duplicate, four frames then a duplicate, four frames then a duplicate, etc. then that means you need to add the Decimate(5) line. If not, that means it's a 30fps/60i source, so just deinterlace with TDeint() and you're good.
a-swift 12:24 AM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:

No, not all videos have pulldown.
a-swift 12:25 AM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:

As far as advanced pulldown, I have NEVER seen it used in final delivery. Advanced pulldown is usually added by 24p capable cameras to facilitate easy removal during ingestion into an NLE. The project could then be edited naively at 24p and a standard, 3:2 pulldown added when the final edited master is output to tape.

True
a-swift 12:27 AM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
Also, rendering MPEG4's this way, how does that affect the keyframe? I was always understanding that Serato used keyframes as reference points in the song..

Keyframes are not related to pulldown at all.

If you are rendering a mp4 from a source with 3:2 pulldown with keyframes every 15 frames, there will a keyframe every 15 frames in the mp4

If you are rendering a mp4 from a source without 3:2 pulldown with keyframes every 15 frames, there will a keyframe every 15 frames in the mp4
Betow 12:47 AM - 11 February, 2010
Right on a-swift, but I do not see anywhere in the MeGui interface where I can dictate a keyframe every certain frames...
Betow 12:51 AM - 11 February, 2010
Thanks for the quick response as well DJ Brett B
Jimbo 2:26 AM - 11 February, 2010
thank you for sharing this wealth of knowledge!

is there a way to batch ivtc a group of vob files with your method?

especially if one were to organize the vobs so that they were seperated by whether they were originally shot in 24p or 29.97 etc.

also for us mac users, has anybody been had this level of precision using ivtc within compressor? thanks in advance...
a-swift 3:17 AM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:

also for us mac users, has anybody been had this level of precision using ivtc within compressor? thanks in advance...

on the mac, compressor will auto detect the cadence when doing reverse telecine. it's very easy.

after effects will let you autodetect the cadence, and override the detected setting if you like.
DJ Brett B 6:17 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
Right on a-swift, but I do not see anywhere in the MeGui interface where I can dictate a keyframe every certain frames...

Check the "Advanced settings" box when you're configuring the x264 settings and add "--keyint 15" (or whatever you want--15 means every 15 frames). I've _never_ messed with that setting, just let x264 do its thing, and I've always had perfect performance. But that's just me.
DJ Brett B 6:20 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:

especially if one were to organize the vobs so that they were seperated by whether they were originally shot in 24p or 29.97 etc.

I've been trying to figure out a solution to this. Problem is, I'm such a nerd that I really tweak each video individually. And replacing audio will always be a manual thing, so I've never looked into the idea too much. However, I am 100% sure it's possible if you're willing to write something to do it... I'll leave that to someone else though :P
a-swift 7:06 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I've been trying to figure out a solution to this. Problem is, I'm such a nerd that I really tweak each video individually. And replacing audio will always be a manual thing, so I've never looked into the idea too much. However, I am 100% sure it's possible if you're willing to write something to do it... I'll leave that to someone else though :P

you can batch vobs that have different cadence?
Jimbo 7:20 PM - 11 February, 2010
i don't know. can you?

the vob's could be organized into groups with the same cadence/parameters... and then batched that way...

basically this question is for those of us who are getting ready to redo our libraries again with this superior method and hope to avoid doing every vob file individually.
DJ Brett B 9:39 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, they'd have to have the same cadence.
a-swift 9:55 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No, they'd have to have the same cadence.

I saw another web tutorial on this and they suggested making 5 folders, 1 for each cadence and then sorting your videos into them. Then you could batch all videos at the same time. Each folder at a time.
DJ Brett B 9:58 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
I saw another web tutorial on this and they suggested making 5 folders, 1 for each cadence and then sorting your videos into them. Then you could batch all videos at the same time. Each folder at a time.

Could you possibly find the link to that? I'm very curious about how they achieved that.
a-swift 10:31 PM - 11 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Could you possibly find the link to that? I'm very curious about how they achieved that.

it was a tutorial for doing reverse telecine with mencoder (command line). i think it was linked off the doom9 forums. i'll find it.
nik39 9:05 PM - 12 February, 2010
Awesome. Finally an interesting thread in here :) Props for all the information and the nice tutorial, Brett B.

I have a few questions about the whole process (most of these questions are not IVTC related per se), hopefully someone will be able to answer them.

1. Scaling. The common music video from a DVD will be at 720x480 with a PAR 0f 0.889 and a DAR of 4/3, which results finally in the given 640x480 (non-widescreen). Now, why are we converting the videos which are at 720 to 640? Wouldn't it make sense to try to avoid any additional rescaling (any real rescaling is like what for audio files means resampling which you always try to avoid)? The funny thing is... my tool does it also, so it some point it looks like I also agreed that this is the best approach - but I can't remember the answer :-(

2. Cropping. (This is somehow related to question 1) In your script you are cropping first, then resizing to 640x480. If you crop before you resize, then this means you are actually again resizing with an most likely not even factor, which also means you are degrading the picture. Wouldn't it be better to crop as the final step? (Okay, then VSL has to resize them later, but since VSL does resizing anyway, let VSL do it all in one step, saving as much quality as possible by avoiding multiple rescalings)

3. Decimate.

3.a Now when you go from 24fps to 29.97fps you have to "duplicate" a frame otherwise things will not match up. What I never understood is the timing. At 24fps you would have a time distance of 1/24s between each frame, with 29.97fps it is obviously 1/29.97s. Now if you spread 4 frames to 5 frames, doesn't it mean the you will introduce some judder? This is the first part of the question. Now comes the second part

3.b When you do the IVTC process and the decimate process, This means basically that you have to readjust the timing, since... well, forget it. This is not a question. Haha :) But this means that during IVTC you *must* use decimate otherwise you will end up with judder as well and will also mess up the timing since you have 29.97 frames (or is it 30?) but since you specified a target fps-rate of 24 the video will run at a different speed.

3.c Do you know if any tool which is able to show for each frame the exact timeposition? This is important for me with VFR, since handbrake seems to rely on VFR.

4. Cadence. Is anyone able to give an estimation about how many music videos have a fixed cadence, and how many have a broken cadence where you either need to break the scenes into parts and IVTC them seperately or alternatively, use an adaptive IVTC algorithm?

And please, if anyone finds some terms which I used in a wrong way (I am still a noob when it comes to video) please, please take the time and correct me. I made the experience that is quite important to use the proper numbers and terminology otherwise certain methods, and results are difficult to understand or do not make sense at all.
a-swift 9:57 PM - 12 February, 2010
nik39 is a noob when it comes to video? that's funny.

with regard to #2, you are correct. this is why there is no "crop filter" in fcp. you must crop as a final step to the output file.
#3.c - fcp will show you absolute frame number for any given point in time.
a-swift 10:01 PM - 12 February, 2010
here's that link i was talking about where they make 5 directories, 1 for each cadence. again, using mencoder to do the reverse telecine:

www.dvxuser.com
nik39 10:41 PM - 12 February, 2010
Quote:

Is there any way to do it the other way around? For a certain frame I would like to know the exact time position.
a-swift 10:45 PM - 12 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Is there any way to do it the other way around? For a certain frame I would like to know the exact time position.

yes it would do that to. just type in a + symbol, then the exact frame number you want to go to, then look at the little box that shows you the smpte timecode in hh:mm:ss;ff format.

there is no "place" to put the +frames into. just start typing and it'll go there. make sure the timeline or viewer window is active. or the canvas if you prefer to do it there. basically, any window but the browser will do this.
nik39 8:39 PM - 13 February, 2010
Thanks, a-swift.

Do you know of any commandline tile which can show a list of all frames incl. the stats (at least time-position... )?
nik39 8:41 PM - 13 February, 2010
tile=tool
a-swift 8:48 PM - 13 February, 2010
i'd have to think about that one nik.
KMXE 10:59 PM - 13 February, 2010
Quote:
Ah, that one is tricky. If the video was actually recorded in PAL (meaning it's actual 25fps source) then you don't need to do anything.. just deinterlace and encode.

However, if the video was originally film or NTSC (23.976 or 29.97) and then converted to PAL, you're pretty much out of luck, as they have to apply frame blending to those sources to get them to look good for PAL uses. If you can get your hands on other sources for the video, definitely do so.

would it be fairly safe to say that most music videos of American artists are originally film or NTSC???

im based in Australia so there are some DVDs which I can buy which are PAL
a-swift 12:18 AM - 14 February, 2010
The majority of videos shot in the US that originate on video camera (not film), will be shot with 23.976 fps. Lots of reasons why directors choose that frame rate. Most importantly, the ability to derive the other frame rates from this source and also the light needed to light scenes is less than higher frame rates.
KMXE 10:07 AM - 14 February, 2010
ok cool - thanks - good to know
KMXE 10:53 AM - 14 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

AviSynth can handle this. Granted, there are a few frames (lasting less than a second) each time the cadence is broken where it can get a little choppy, but it quickly figures out the cadence again and picks up correctly.
\

damn - does this mean i cant get away from windows? :)
DJ Brett B 8:16 PM - 14 February, 2010
Quote:
1. Scaling. The common music video from a DVD will be at 720x480 with a PAR 0f 0.889 and a DAR of 4/3, which results finally in the given 640x480 (non-widescreen). Now, why are we converting the videos which are at 720 to 640? Wouldn't it make sense to try to avoid any additional rescaling (any real rescaling is like what for audio files means resampling which you always try to avoid)?

The first crop parameters (usually only 8-12 pixels) is just to remove the overscan compensation that PO/ScreenPlay/etc apply to the videos. In the world of computers, we don't need to worry about overscan, so I want to get the picture to be the exact size of the frame.

I resize to 640 first for two reasons.
1: We are working in square pixel environments with computers, so 640 just works better IMO.
2: When I resize to 640, it also makes cropping for 16:9 easier, since all I have to do is take 60 pixels off the top and 60 pixels off the bottom, which results in a perfect 1.78:1 AR file (640x360).

3. Decimate.

Quote:
3.a Now when you go from 24fps to 29.97fps you have to "duplicate" a frame otherwise things will not match up. What I never understood is the timing. At 24fps you would have a time distance of 1/24s between each frame, with 29.97fps it is obviously 1/29.97s. Now if you spread 4 frames to 5 frames, doesn't it mean the you will introduce some judder? This is the first part of the question. Now comes the second part

3.b When you do the IVTC process and the decimate process, This means basically that you have to readjust the timing, since... well, forget it. This is not a question. Haha :) But this means that during IVTC you *must* use decimate otherwise you will end up with judder as well and will also mess up the timing since you have 29.97 frames (or is it 30?) but since you specified a target fps-rate of 24 the video will run at a different speed.

That's exactly what IVTC is. IVTC is the removal of that duplicate frame. If I was leaving that duplicate frame in, it would just be considered decombing. Also, technically this is 23.976 fps, so that's why the timing matches up (that's a standard for pretty much all film content for final delivery -- for example, Blu-ray movies are encoded at 23.976 as well).

Quote:
3.c Do you know if any tool which is able to show for each frame the exact timeposition? This is important for me with VFR, since handbrake seems to rely on VFR.

I can't answer that, never messed with VFR personally. I can't imagine that working well in VSL either? I could be wrong though :)

Quote:
4. Cadence. Is anyone able to give an estimation about how many music videos have a fixed cadence, and how many have a broken cadence where you either need to break the scenes into parts and IVTC them seperately or alternatively, use an adaptive IVTC algorithm?

I've found that MOST music videos (at least before very recently) have a broken cadence. Lately, with the move to everything digital in the entire chain, it seems they're editing in true 24p and then applying the pulldown afterwards, so there are some with perfect cadences. But, again, this method handles broken cadences pretty well (IMO). Other than a few jumpy frames (literally a few, less than 1 second), it finds the cadence again and continues IVTC correctly.

Quote:
And please, if anyone finds some terms which I used in a wrong way (I am still a noob when it comes to video) please, please take the time and correct me. I made the experience that is quite important to use the proper numbers and terminology otherwise certain methods, and results are difficult to understand or do not make sense at all.

We're all noobs :) That's why I'm glad we can have these discussions!
DJ Brett B 8:19 PM - 14 February, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

\

damn - does this mean i cant get away from windows? :)

Haha, that's your call :) Personally my workflow has always been better in Windows because I learned everything I know in Windows. I have nothing against Macs (I use a Mac every day, and use a MBP for DJing), I just unfortunately don't have much knowledge when it comes to video tools in that environment.
a-swift 10:38 PM - 14 February, 2010
I'd put my mac tools against anything in windows. There's not much I can't solve with MPEGStreamclip, FCP, Compressor, After Effects, Shake, ffmpeg and mencoder.
KMXE 10:46 PM - 14 February, 2010
Quote:
I'd put my mac tools against anything in windows. There's not much I can't solve with MPEGStreamclip, FCP, Compressor, After Effects, Shake, ffmpeg and mencoder.

thats what i like to hear! i just want to be completely windows free
DJ Brett B 10:58 PM - 14 February, 2010
Quote:

Again, I'm not doubting any tools on the Mac side. Just saying I learned on Windows, and so far, everything has worked for me.
KMXE 10:42 AM - 26 February, 2010
using A-Swifts outstanding FCP Sessions tutorial as a guide, i've followed his steps in terms of using MPEG StreamClip to create a MOV file to edit in FCP, and also demux to get the m2v file to use the Reconnect media step.

However, following this thread, it would seem as though i would need to IVTC the file that I will eventually Reconnect to - right?

If so - i cant seem to use the 'Cinema Tools Reverse Telecine' option in FCP/Cinema Tools as it seems as though it cant read a M2V file - what should i do?

or i am doing it all wrong?
DJ Brett B 11:40 PM - 28 February, 2010
You can absolutely see a noticeable difference - playback is much smoother and judder-free. It also reduces strain on your CPU since you are only decoding the frames that need to be decoded (instead of a bunch of duplicates). Depending on how you're deinterlacing videos right now, this could also lead to better picture quality since you aren't blending fields which some deinterlacers do.
DjChris"DaDoc" Roberts 12:03 AM - 1 March, 2010
Brett.... WOW... The difference in video quality at dublin was utterly amazing last night. Each of the distributed screens in the bar looked like a DVD image. I had non of the vertical tracing that I was getting before. The file size is quite reasonable.

Props to Smashvidz... their product quality was awesome!!!

Thanks
Joshua Carl 2:34 AM - 1 March, 2010
Quote:
Cool now I just need to figure out how to do this.

ditto
DJ-Phat-AL 2:51 AM - 1 March, 2010
it's not too hard if you follow the directions. You may come across some different scenarios though. depends on your source of videos.
DJMark 10:01 AM - 1 March, 2010
I just want to say thanks for what is one of the most informative threads I've seen here.

This page from the Handbrake Wiki might help some: trac.handbrake.fr

So my question is for some very old stuff pulled from DVD's: it seems like for some stuff, there's no real way around deinterlacing?

Two videos I've struggled with are Clash "Rock The Casbah" and Rick James "Give It To Me Baby". Besides both of them being of pretty low quality in general, none of the detelecining/reverse telecining options in Compressor, Final Cut Pro, FCP's Cinema Tools, or Handbrake (which supposedly auto-detects cadence) have been able to successfully work on those two.

Am I missing something?
a-swift 4:06 PM - 1 March, 2010
Quote:

Two videos I've struggled with are Clash "Rock The Casbah" and Rick James "Give It To Me Baby". Besides both of them being of pretty low quality in general, none of the detelecining/reverse telecining options in Compressor, Final Cut Pro, FCP's Cinema Tools, or Handbrake (which supposedly auto-detects cadence) have been able to successfully work on those two.

Am I missing something?

maybe these videos do not have 3:2 pulldown added so there is nothing to remove. maybe they were shot ntsc broadcast format natively. not likely but a possibility.
a-swift 4:08 PM - 1 March, 2010
Quote:

If so - i cant seem to use the 'Cinema Tools Reverse Telecine' option in FCP/Cinema Tools as it seems as though it cant read a M2V file - what should i do?

use compressor.
KMXE 11:34 PM - 1 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

use compressor.

im trying to! But just completely not sure on what settings to use - if i use compressor to convert a m2v file to a m2v file (and selecting reverse telecine under the Frame Controls section) - does this mean that there is no generation loss?

If so - im still confused as to what file format to use QuickTime Movie, and select Uncompressed 10-bit in the Compression Type section? I thought this would put the M2V file through a conversion process which i dont want.

so confused!
a-swift 11:56 PM - 1 March, 2010
as far as i know, the reverse telecine process on all the methods listed above will recompress each frame unless you use uncompressed as your export type.
djpuma_gemini 2:34 AM - 2 March, 2010
can someone post up the .avs file. Seems easier than trying to type everything in the youtube vid.
DJ Brett B 10:34 AM - 2 March, 2010
Quote:
Brett.... WOW... The difference in video quality at dublin was utterly amazing last night. Each of the distributed screens in the bar looked like a DVD image. I had non of the vertical tracing that I was getting before. The file size is quite reasonable.

Props to Smashvidz... their product quality was awesome!!!

Thanks

Glad to hear it man!
DJ Brett B 10:37 AM - 2 March, 2010
Quote:
can someone post up the .avs file. Seems easier than trying to type everything in the youtube vid.

LoadPlugin("X:\Path_to_DGIndex_Folder\DGDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("X:\Path_to_Plugins_Folder\TDeint.dll")
MPEG2Source("video.d2v")
TDeint()
Decimate(5)
Crop(left,top,-right,-bottom)
Lanczos4Resize(640,360)
Crop(0,60,-0,-60)
ConvertToYV12()

Notes: Only use Decimate if the video is actually 3:2 pulldown, and only use Crop(0,60,-0,-60) if video is widescreen.
Jimbo 10:04 PM - 2 March, 2010
sorry if this is a stupid question but when you resize to 640x360... doesn't that cut off the chyrons on a promo only .vob?
djpuma_gemini 10:24 PM - 2 March, 2010
That's cropping, resizing does just that it resizes the entire video.

LIke taking a 5x7 and shrinking it to a 3x5, It's the same picture just on a smaller scale.
Jimbo 11:16 PM - 2 March, 2010
sorry. i meant to say doesn't cropping cut off the chyrons on a letterbox promo only .vob? does that bother you esthetically?
KMXE 12:55 AM - 3 March, 2010
Quote:
as far as i know, the reverse telecine process on all the methods listed above will recompress each frame unless you use uncompressed as your export type.

thanks a million a-swift - i think i got it worked out now and seems to look good. You're help has been invaluable - thanks dude!

and thanks DJ Brett B for opening our eyes to this - im definitely always keen to hear about techniques to make my videos look sharper!
Dj Nyce 5:08 PM - 3 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

LoadPlugin("X:\Path_to_DGIndex_Folder\DGDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("X:\Path_to_Plugins_Folder\TDeint.dll")
MPEG2Source("video.d2v")
TDeint()
Decimate(5)
Crop(left,top,-right,-bottom)
Lanczos4Resize(640,360)
Crop(0,60,-0,-60)
ConvertToYV12()

Notes: Only use Decimate if the video is actually 3:2 pulldown, and only use Crop(0,60,-0,-60) if video is widescreen.

Brett, i was testing avisynth 2.6 and was able to utilize TDeint() without the LoadPlugin call.
DJ Brett B 7:15 PM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:
Brett, i was testing avisynth 2.6 and was able to utilize TDeint() without the LoadPlugin call.

Ah, yeah, if you have the TDeint.dll in your AviSynth plugins folder, you don't need to load it.
DJ Brett B 7:17 PM - 4 March, 2010
Quote:
sorry. i meant to say doesn't cropping cut off the chyrons on a letterbox promo only .vob? does that bother you esthetically?

It bothers me much less esthetically than improper aspect ratios, which is what you'd get if you just play a letterboxed 4:3 video on a 16:9 monitor. Everything that I do is assuming that the video will be played on a 16:9 monitor. It's a good idea to start producing ALL of your edits and encodes in 16:9 from here on out - if you aren't already playing on 16:9 systems, eventually everything will be 16:9.
KMXE 11:49 AM - 14 March, 2010
aaahhh...... im back to not liking my videos

after I IVTC the m2v file, and then use this to render to MP4. Most of the frames look beautiful but at random points in my video there is a lot of interlaced frames. It doesnt happen at regular intervals, and the length of interlaced frames changes each time so theres no pattern.

when i render to MP4 and also Deinterlace, the video looks pixelated and 'digital'.

i cant seem to get this right! anyone got any suggestions?
Culprit 7:42 PM - 5 April, 2010
gold, thanks!
carter 4:33 PM - 6 April, 2010
Alright. Giving this a go right now, but a couple of questions.
*First, why isn't this a sticky yet?
*Second, have you ever sent more than one batch of edit jobs to the queue and let them run? It looks like it has the potential to do that in MEGui, but it would require a different avs script for each to process. So say I had 10 videos, I would need 10 avs scripts , and I would need to load those up individually because they may all have different needs. I have an script running now, but I may try this with the next couple and see how it works out. I've already encoded them with MPEG Streamclip before so right now it's trial and error on my vob collection.
Culprit 8:58 PM - 6 April, 2010
is there any way to ignore pullup using mencoder?
Culprit 8:59 PM - 6 April, 2010
as a demuxer? sorry, was incomplete..
Culprit 9:01 PM - 6 April, 2010
Gasshhhhhh*** pulldown flags.. ignore pull down flags ::cries for an edit button::
Eloy Garcia 10:01 PM - 6 April, 2010
Thanks for this info Brett B.
djpuma_gemini 10:15 PM - 6 April, 2010
i need a dumbed down zipped folder with all software (that's free) puma instructions to go with this.
popnwave 11:59 PM - 6 April, 2010
Great guide, a lot of these free programs work good but the lack of GUI and combined nature of the apps scare a lot of people. Not to mention dealing with a script. As a long time VJ but new guy to Serato this will help a lot in converting my material.
djpuma_gemini 1:42 AM - 8 April, 2010
Brett you are the man.

I got it to work for mp4's, but what if I want to edit in vegas, what do I need to encode too first.

I know how to get from unc avi to mp4 out of vegas, so I need to get the file with all the ivtc and stuff first.
djpuma_gemini 2:21 AM - 8 April, 2010
i think i got it for vegas now. Not sure if it's rendering at unc avi though
DJ Brett B 12:50 PM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
Brett you are the man.

I got it to work for mp4's, but what if I want to edit in vegas, what do I need to encode too first.

I know how to get from unc avi to mp4 out of vegas, so I need to get the file with all the ivtc and stuff first.

What I do in that case is change the ConvertToYV12() at the end to ConvertToRGB().

Then, I load the script into VirtualDubMod and save as an AVI. This will give you a fully uncompressed AVI file that you can edit with in Vegas. Then, you can either export as MP4 out of Vegas if you want the easy route, or render as uncompressed AVI. Also, make sure your Vegas project settings are _exactly_ the same as the video you're working with. So, if it's 640x360 at 23.976fps, make sure your Vegas settings are that too.

If you choose to render as uncompressed AVI and encode with x264/MeGUI (which I recommend), create a new script which contains the following:

DirectShowSource("video_from_vegas.avi")
ConvertToYV12()

Then load that script into MeGUI. For the audio source, just load the AVI. Everything should encode as normal.
DJ Brett B 12:57 PM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
have you ever sent more than one batch of edit jobs to the queue and let them run? It looks like it has the potential to do that in MEGui, but it would require a different avs script for each to process. So say I had 10 videos, I would need 10 avs scripts , and I would need to load those up individually because they may all have different needs.

This is definitely possible. That's exactly how I've done it in the past. Just set up all of the scripts and then load a bunch up to encode.
a-swift 5:20 PM - 12 April, 2010
Update on Mac tutorials for IVTC fellas:

I've done a BUNCH of research on this and I've come to the conclusion that you can't IVTC music videos on the mac. Every single music video I've tested, all have broken cadence. There is no reason to believe that ANY video would have a single cadence that isn't broken.

The only way to IVTC files with broken cadence is to use an adaptive IVTC tool. That is, one that detects scene breaks and picks up new cadence as it identifies it. There is no software for the mac that does this, that I know of. If such software does exist, please let me know and I'll do further testing with that.

I use 3 different applications for removing 3:2 pulldown. AfterEffects, Shake and Compressor. All do a fine job. I like Compressor for simplicity. I like AfterEffects for it's auto guess cadence and manual override. I like Shake for its scriptability. None of them can account for broken cadence though. Which means, if trying to IVTC a music video, you'll almost certainly end up with a frakenstack of frames that are much worse than the 29.97 frames you started with.

If anyone has updated info, please let me know.
Culprit 5:42 PM - 12 April, 2010
Hey Brett, done alot of research now and thanks to you, I have completely switched over to megui and I love it. It is indeed more work, but if you are serious about quality, is the only way to go. I have one question that mabey you can help me with.

My encodes are coming out awesome, but is there any way to limit maximum birate? they are ranging anywhere from 6k to 15.1mb, which is odd. I did not have this problem with mediacoder or ffmpeg before.

Thanks again.
djpuma_gemini 5:45 PM - 12 April, 2010
a-swift.

How can you find out if the cadence is broken.

I've done Brett B's way and found that most videos the 5th frame is a dupe, but I haven't gone through all the way to see if they stay like that.
a-swift 6:08 PM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
a-swift.

How can you find out if the cadence is broken.

I've done Brett B's way and found that most videos the 5th frame is a dupe, but I haven't gone through all the way to see if they stay like that.

Step through the video frame by frame. You will see a pattern of 3 frames which look good, and 2 frames that look crappy. The frame we want is the 1 of 3 good frames. The 1 frame always follows the crappy frames. Note that frame number (obviously you need a player that can show you the frame numbers, like Quicktime player 7).

Once you have the frame number you do

frameNumber modulus 5

This will give you the start frame for the cadence. If the cadence is continuous, the start frame will be the same anywhere you select randomly in the file and detect the pattern manually. What you will see is that the start frame will move around because the cadence is broken. All this means is the the edit was most likely done with source material that had the pulldown added before they began editing.

If the edit was done in native frame rate, and the pulldown was added to native frame rate master, then the cadence would be continuous, with a single start frame for 3:2 pattern.
a-swift 6:09 PM - 12 April, 2010
Also, when you do any kind of IVTC, you'll want to inspect the file completely and do frame by frame checks to make sure the IVTC was done correctly.
djpuma_gemini 7:17 PM - 12 April, 2010
so the decimate 5 just takes out every 5th frame.
How is the correctly ivtc'ing the video than?
a-swift 8:18 PM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
so the decimate 5 just takes out every 5th frame.
How is the correctly ivtc'ing the video than?

It's not puma. The only way to properly IVTC a video is to restore the original progressive frames. That's what a true IVTC does. With 5 frames of 3:2 pulldown material you have 10 fields. Those 10 fields need to be restored to the original 3 progressive frames. Taking out every 5th frame does not do that.
a-swift 8:19 PM - 12 April, 2010
Oh and btw, I love being proved wrong on anything. So if I am wrong, someone please show me where. I don't know everything.
nik39 8:33 PM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
Those 10 fields need to be restored to the original 3 progressive frames.

Typo I guess.. it is "4 progressive frames" :)
a-swift 8:36 PM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Those 10 fields need to be restored to the original 3 progressive frames.

Typo I guess.. it is "4 progressive frames" :)

Nik39 is correct. 4 progressive frames. That's what I meant to type.
djpuma_gemini 8:38 PM - 12 April, 2010
am I better off just leaving things at 29.97fps and deinterlacing than?
a-swift 8:43 PM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
am I better off just leaving things at 29.97fps and deinterlacing than?

this is worse than anything else you could possibly do. deinterlacing a video that is 29.97 from a 23.98 source will mangle the frames beyond repair.

at least leaving it 29.97 interlaced won't make it any worse than it already is, plus a display that knows how to display interlaced footage will display the frames correctly so your interlacing artifacts will be minimal.

of you deinterlace the video, the mice teeth on your edges will be baked into a progressive frame and the display will not be able to see the fields (since you removed them by de-interlacing) and reassemble the frame.
Joshua Carl 8:46 PM - 12 April, 2010
this might be completely ignorant of me, why wouldnt you just leave it @ 23.98?

I know some services keep the fps the same as the source...
nik39 8:46 PM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
plus a display that knows how to display interlaced footage

Good topic.

Do displays really work properly with the video signals VJ's are streaming? You have to remember - It is unlikely that we really maintain the original playback speed. In other words, displays should fail in 99.999% of the cases. Is this correct?
a-swift 8:48 PM - 12 April, 2010
Ok, maybe I'll continue with my tutorial because clearly there is still some more to be learned here.

I'll be demonstrating IVTC and explaining these concepts in a way that is VERY easy to understand, no matter what your previous knowledge.

I'll also show what happens when you try and deinterlace footage that is 3:2 and a few other confusing topics I've seen in this thread. It won't be hard to show that simply removing the 5th frame does not do a true IVTC.

I really am going to do it this time.
djpuma_gemini 8:48 PM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:

PO or many others don't come at 23.98 they give you 29.97 for some reason.
a-swift 8:49 PM - 12 April, 2010
Ok, maybe I'll continue with my tutorial because clearly there is still some more to be learned here.

I'll be demonstrating IVTC and explaining these concepts in a way that is VERY easy to understand, no matter what your previous knowledge.

I'll also show what happens when you try and deinterlace footage that is 3:2 and a few other confusing topics I've seen in this thread. It won't be hard to show that simply removing the 5th frame does not do a true IVTC.

nik39 8:50 PM - 12 April, 2010
swift, if you need any assistance (not meaning technically - I know you got this stuff locked down) - I'll be glad to help out with your tut.
djpuma_gemini 8:53 PM - 12 April, 2010
Look here
www.doom9.org

The 5th frame is not the one to delete if they are using the 3:2 pulldown they are combining 2/3 frames to make the extra frame.

Not spouting off knowledge just trying to put it in my words to see if I actually understand it.
a-swift 8:54 PM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

PO or many others don't come at 23.98 they give you 29.97 for some reason.

because they are too lazy to re-engineer their videos DVDs for dual frame rates on the same DVD. DVD spec says you can have video at 23.98 and 29.97 on the same DVD disk, but they must be in separate titles. Same thing goes for 4:3 vs. 16:9, you can have them on the same DVD, in different titles. If you matrix just the two options of frame rate and aspect ratio, you wind up with a DVD with a bunch of titles.

You also wind up with a bunch of different workflows based on the frame rate and the aspect ratio. It's much easier for the lazy promo only guys to force all the videos to a single format. 4:3, 29.97.

And of course since they've forced all those videos with pulldown and letterboxing, they continue to use these versions for the DFF.

Don't expect to see this fixed any time soon. The only video service I know of that is even making any kind of attempt to offer videos in proper formats without hacks, is smashvidz.
a-swift 8:55 PM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
Look here
www.doom9.org

The 5th frame is not the one to delete if they are using the 3:2 pulldown they are combining 2/3 frames to make the extra frame.

Not spouting off knowledge just trying to put it in my words to see if I actually understand it.

Yes puma. That is correct. This is why you simply can't just remove the 5th frame and call it IVTC. That's not removing the pulldown.
Joshua Carl 8:58 PM - 12 April, 2010
thanks man... makes sense.

its amazing what you can learn in 2 years...
nik39 9:04 PM - 12 April, 2010
allmighty-swift... do you have an answer for my question as well? ;)

Quote:
Quote:

Good topic.

Do displays really work properly with the video signals VJ's are streaming? You have to remember - It is unlikely that we really maintain the original playback speed. In other words, displays should fail in 99.999% of the cases. Is this correct?
a-swift 9:23 PM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
allmighty-swift... do you have an answer for my question as well? ;)

Quote:
Quote:

Good topic.

No the original speed is not maintained on playback either. Obviously if you have a 23.98 video that you are playing back on a Mac that has the video output set to 59.94 or 60p, there will be some buffering and doubling of frames going on. The Mac disply output is constant no matter what the framerate of the footage you are playing.
nik39 9:27 PM - 12 April, 2010
But the question is mainly whether this will confuse or not confuse the display when trying to display the video frames properly.
DJ Brett B 9:39 PM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
plus a display that knows how to display interlaced footage will display the frames correctly so your interlacing artifacts will be minimal.

I'll have to disagree with this. If it was being played by a standalone DVD player and outputting the original fields to the TV(s), then it would be deinterlaced. But in our case, Video SL is displaying the frames as it sees them (which means you'll see the two "bad" fields for every five frames) and then the computer is sending its own independent output to the TV. The TV doesn't exactly know that those frames are interlaced, because the TV is just receiving a raw 60i/60p signal from the laptop. In order for the TV to deinterlace, those exact original fields must be transmitted to the TV untouched.
DJ Brett B 9:40 PM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
plus a display that knows how to display interlaced footage will display the frames correctly so your interlacing artifacts will be minimal.

I'll have to disagree with this. If it was being played by a standalone DVD player and outputting the original fields to the TV(s), then it would be deinterlaced. But in our case, Video SL is displaying the frames as it sees them (which means you'll see the two "bad" fields for every five frames) and then the computer is sending its own independent output to the TV. The TV doesn't exactly know that those frames are interlaced, because the TV is just receiving a raw 60i/60p signal from the laptop. In order for the TV to deinterlace, those exact original fields must be transmitted to the TV untouched.
nik39 9:47 PM - 12 April, 2010
Ah, thanks for that, Brett, that answered exactly my question.
a-swift 9:52 PM - 12 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

When using my Mac with the DVI to composite adapter, it outputs a 29.97 NTSC signal that is interlaced. Interlaced footage played back via this adapter, looks correct to me on a TV.
DJ Brett B 10:08 PM - 12 April, 2010
Played through QuickTime, or played through Video SL?
dj_paulsmooth 11:01 PM - 12 April, 2010
a quote from PO website --->www.promoonly.com

since PO is offering videos in mpg & mp4 format, why in the world would they not encode the source video in its original aspect ratio (or at least 16:9)??..... laziness??
nik39 11:04 PM - 12 April, 2010
You would not want to know how PO's european videos look like. Really.

Ask the SV-experts. They were shaking their heads as well.
KMXE 12:07 AM - 13 April, 2010
Quote:

i think i sorta found this out on my first video edit that i was trying to apply all the knowledge i learnt from you swift and Brett B - i was so frustrated that I couldn't get a perfect video!

Good to know it's not my techniques or whatever. I've resorted to IVTC'ing the video and the basis that most of the video will be nice, and there will only be some frames which are not nice which ultimately is still better than leaving it alone.

Im looking forward to the next tutorial!
a-swift 12:40 AM - 13 April, 2010
Good idea KMXE. Don't forget with IVTC your files will be smaller and vsl will run smoother, even if the ivtc is not correct.
djpuma_gemini 12:56 AM - 13 April, 2010
So, I should stick with it, even though it's not correct.

IVTC is coo, but how can I deinterlace without deinterlacing. Isn't there a different way.
DJ DisGrace 1:31 AM - 13 April, 2010
Quote:

IVTC is coo, but how can I deinterlace without deinterlacing. Isn't there a different way.

I've been using the Detelecine option in Handbrake with good success lately.
djpuma_gemini 1:54 AM - 13 April, 2010
sorenson has ivtc, but it definitely throws the audio off sync
a-swift 2:38 AM - 13 April, 2010
ed. Interlaced footage played back via this adapter, looks correct to me on a TV.
Quote:
Quote:

I've been using the Detelecine option in Handbrake with good success lately.

Have you checked the files to see if it works correctly with broken cadence?
a-swift 2:38 AM - 13 April, 2010
that was weird
djpuma_gemini 3:12 AM - 13 April, 2010
Swift, check the dilated peoples video. That's the one I did it to.
a-swift 5:11 AM - 13 April, 2010
Quote:
Swift, check the dilated peoples video. That's the one I did it to.

I will.
dj lad 4:14 AM - 14 April, 2010
Uh, any ideas about this error? (I've got AviSynth 2.6 alpha installed, I tried it with other versions as well)

"AviSynth script error:
Script error: there is no function named "Decimate")

Any ideas?
dj lad 4:30 AM - 14 April, 2010
I just downloaded a script called "FDecimate" and it works.
dj lad 4:39 AM - 14 April, 2010
No, it doesn't work. It seems like it removes half the frames.

Can anyone send me the decimate.dll file?
dj lad 4:58 AM - 14 April, 2010
Okay, I figured it out. Hooray -- thanks a lot.
djpuma_gemini 5:29 AM - 14 April, 2010
make sure decimate is in your plugins and call it up first (load plugin)
DJ Brett B 6:03 PM - 15 April, 2010
Decimate is actually a function of the Decomb plugin. Some versions of AVISynth don't come with it, and some do. No idea why. If you get that error, just download decomb.dll from avisynth.org and unpack it into your /avisynth/plugins folder.
dj blackbelt 8:00 AM - 20 April, 2010
This should be sticky topic already.

trust me, take your time to learn this method. its simply the best.

You can actually clean up your footage with a couple scripts and you wont believe the output quality.

you wont regret!!
Culprit 3:47 PM - 20 April, 2010
Quote:
This should be sticky topic already.

trust me, take your time to learn this method. its simply the best.

You can actually clean up your footage with a couple scripts and you wont believe the output quality.

you wont regret!!

I'm staying quiet on this one.. but I 100% agree.
Dj Nyce 4:31 PM - 20 April, 2010
i have a few powershell scripts if anyone wants em. docs.google.com

dgindex.ps1 makes dgindex projects from a batch of vob's. if you load a bunch of vobs in dgindex manually and try to save it, it only makes one dgindex project and not one for everyone vob.

makeAvs.ps1 creates an avisynth script (from a template) from a batch of d2v files. all the avs files will be exactly like the template. the template works for about 80% of po's vids. you may have to tweek a few individually.

then i manually select the d2v and audio file in meguid and queue it. then i run the queue with 1 worker/cpu core. i'm running on a quad core.

if i could script the megui part i would. my next task is to find an encoder than can take avisynth scripts and run from the command line...any takers?
DJ Brett B 10:58 PM - 20 April, 2010
Quote:
i have a few powershell scripts if anyone wants em. docs.google.com

dgindex.ps1 makes dgindex projects from a batch of vob's. if you load a bunch of vobs in dgindex manually and try to save it, it only makes one dgindex project and not one for everyone vob.

makeAvs.ps1 creates an avisynth script (from a template) from a batch of d2v files. all the avs files will be exactly like the template. the template works for about 80% of po's vids. you may have to tweek a few individually.

then i manually select the d2v and audio file in meguid and queue it. then i run the queue with 1 worker/cpu core. i'm running on a quad core.

if i could script the megui part i would. my next task is to find an encoder than can take avisynth scripts and run from the command line...any takers?

AWESOME! I'm giving this a try tomorrow. Thanks!!
djpuma_gemini 12:42 AM - 21 April, 2010
something is buggered on mine, When I have WS videos and choose the 640X360 option, it crops the video and makes it look stretched, my avs script used to work, but now it doens't for 640x360 videos.
DJ Brett B 10:34 AM - 21 April, 2010
Hmm. Maybe it's just resizing instead of cropping?
dj lad 9:44 PM - 21 April, 2010
Wow thats awesome - I am going to have to try to fuck with that batch.
djpuma_gemini 10:22 PM - 21 April, 2010
I used the lancos4resize option specified in your video.
dj blackbelt 12:33 PM - 22 April, 2010
Hey Brett B, i think we should all do a windows tutorial on analyzing DVD footage or vobs using Dgindex and then do IVTC using Avsynth then encoding with Megui.

This time we use AVSP script editor for Avsynth.
Im sure you already know this method but that way you can preview as many scripts in a snap.

We get to provide all the links for software downloads and do lots of examples and a bit of editing.

This stuff needs a bit of programming background and a lot of people will never get it.

is your email djbrettb@gmail.com?
i will try shoot u an email.
mine is blackbeltsound@gmail.com

lets organise a webex meeting with anyone else interested.
DJ Brett B 8:33 PM - 22 April, 2010
Definitely; I'm all for it. Would love to make this as easy as possible for anyone.
Culprit 8:34 PM - 23 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Brett you are the man.

What I do in that case is change the ConvertToYV12() at the end to ConvertToRGB().

Then, I load the script into VirtualDubMod and save as an AVI. This will give you a fully uncompressed AVI file that you can edit with in Vegas. Then, you can either export as MP4 out of Vegas if you want the easy route, or render as uncompressed AVI. Also, make sure your Vegas project settings are _exactly_ the same as the video you're working with. So, if it's 640x360 at 23.976fps, make sure your Vegas settings are that too.

If you choose to render as uncompressed AVI and encode with x264/MeGUI (which I recommend), create a new script which contains the following:

ConvertToYV12()

Then load that script into MeGUI. For the audio source, just load the AVI. Everything should encode as normal.

Hey Brett (or anyone else who can answer this question) I am trying to accomplish this very task, but its saying after or while I render from vegas that I have an 8gb file limit on avi files.. help?
djpuma_gemini 9:09 PM - 23 April, 2010
are you running windows on boot camp with the file system as fat32? Or, is your drive formatted for fat32 if not using a mac w/windows.
Culprit 1:27 AM - 24 April, 2010
running vista 64 ntsf and sony vegas 64bit edition
dj blackbelt 4:29 AM - 25 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Brett you are the man.

ConvertToYV12()

Hey Brett (or anyone else who can answer this question) I am trying to accomplish this very task, but its saying after or while I render from vegas that I have an 8gb file limit on avi files.. help?

I think your Vegas is set to 8gig max output file size default on some settings.I could be wrong though.

Seems to me these settings are restricting you to get a file size bigger than 8gig. Look around on output settings and unclick this setting.I will look around in my settings too and tell you what i come up with.

I would like to add that the rendering process to unco .avi from vegas produces huge files bigger that 8 gig even though the files you were editing were way smaller.

But after this process, Megui will encode this ounce .avi to a fairly small file size again.

Hope you get a solution to this, i remember having similar problems to this.
Culprit 3:53 PM - 26 April, 2010
I found out that VLC has issues playing the file in full, but when I load it in vdub or megui, it converts the file as a whole. I think its something with my vista 64bit os, because mediainfogui also reads an inaccurate time length.
Joshua Carl 1:42 AM - 27 April, 2010
well, Ive been messing with this all night in mediacoder.

its quite simple in the preview to identify a file with duplicate frames, and deinterlacing artifacts.

it has an AVIsynth tab, where u can load a script, in this case im only loading it as:
decimate <5> it is in fact every 5th frame.

it has a real time cropper, so its easy to slide the frame to where u want it and
get pretty spot on crops.
{and this is why i looove mediacoder>>>>
if u click on the time tab, the click select it opens up a real time window where
u can select your de-interlacer, and make contrast/brightness ect ect adjustments
in real time. (only certain adjustments require a APPLY button.
I use the YADIF de-interlacer

then u can click on the PICTURE tab, than the FRAME RATE tab.
there theres options in there (like do/dont adjust frames rate & and dont/do delete duplicate files)

I gotta tell ya I AM SO HAPPY with this output!
big ups to brett and everyone who chipped in.

in a few minutes Im going to post the mediacoder preset.
(keep in mind you'll have to write your own AVS script and load it, it targets it)

Ill also upload HALF of the movie file (for legal reasons)... I want some critique and suggestions on what you guys think.

I know on videos that ARE 24/25 fps Ive been getting great quality on my encodes.
but the 29.97's were driving me a little nuts.
I know Ive said...WE ARE SPLITTING HAIRS WITH QUALITY before... but the more I read
the more I wanted to exel.

code & clip coming.
djpuma_gemini 1:45 AM - 27 April, 2010
thanks joshua.

Waiting for the code and clip
Joshua Carl 2:19 AM - 27 April, 2010
heres the code: www.sendspace.com

you might want to go into the TIME>SELECT function tab and adjust the
video how you like it... you'll notice I have my contrast @ 52 and my other settings.
I change them for each video depending.

I also changed the De-interlace function to Linear blend.
on a yadif I occasionally got this obscure green boarder on the right.
not all the time...

Im gonna load an old video I just did (Karma Police) and a new one
(heheheh...Im trying to find one that i ripped that was 29.97)

QUESTION. is there a default MS audio adjustment when going from 29.97 to 24.00?
I cant tell if its falling off... the videos Ive done are actually horrible performed by the artists.
Joshua Carl 2:32 AM - 27 April, 2010
heres Karma Police. www.sendspace.com

obviously Im still working out some of the fine details...but this video is very DARK.
its also a very slooow moving video...so you can really pick up everything
i felt it was a tough one.

the white video are easy, they always come out looking decent.
Joshua Carl 3:18 AM - 27 April, 2010
and heres cornelius: www.sendspace.com
(obviously this needs a remux...i dont know..maybe its SUPPOSED to sound like that?)
its a "newer" vid... alothough its mostly seemingly amature footage...it had dupe frames
and needed it...and Im proud to say the frames are gone, as well as any artifcts.
(didnt need to de-interlace at all)

again (for the mods) these are 1 minute renders ... so we can all see.

now, please.... pointers?
Joshua Carl 3:23 AM - 27 April, 2010
link fail on Cornelius, correction:
www.sendspace.com
Culprit 6:09 AM - 27 April, 2010
Hey Joshua,

I was having a super hard time with mediacoder giving me bad delays. I have completely switched from mediacoder to megui. Will post some clips of my ETV stuff to show you guys in a few.

I must say tho.. and I hate to say it, but I am really disappointed in the promo only quality now that I am really taking time out and encoding every video. Sure the patrons in the clubs don't notice.. but i do, and big time :(
dj blackbelt 6:11 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
I found out that VLC has issues playing the file in full, but when I load it in vdub or megui, it converts the file as a whole. I think its something with my vista 64bit os, because mediainfogui also reads an inaccurate time length.

Yeah that is right.

VLC has problems reading the unc .avi from vegas.

But if you load the file in VDub it works fine.Then from Megui it converts the unco .avi to a very decent mp4 file.
Culprit 6:13 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah that is right.

VLC has problems reading the unc .avi from vegas.

But if you load the file in VDub it works fine.Then from Megui it converts the unco .avi to a very decent mp4 file.

Yes, I did find this out after about an hour of head scratching.
dj blackbelt 6:13 AM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
Hey Joshua,
I must say tho.. and I hate to say it, but I am really disappointed in the promo only quality now that I am really taking time out and encoding every video. Sure the patrons in the clubs don't notice.. but i do, and big time :(

Sure the patrons won't notice but since i know how good quality should be like, i notice that big time too.
DJ Brett B 12:01 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
it has a real time cropper, so its easy to slide the frame to where u want it and
get pretty spot on crops.

This is fine, but for music videos, MAKE SURE you are still adding proper letterbox bars for 640x360 output, otherwise in the "stretch" mode in Video-SL, you'll have videos that are stretched vertically if they are less than 360 height. As long as you produce everything to the same standards (all 4:3 videos to be 640x480, and all 16:9 videos to be 640x360, for example) then you'll be able to leave it on one setting all night, instead of having to switch between Stretch, Preserve, Letterbox, etc. all the time.
Joshua Carl 3:08 PM - 27 April, 2010
yeah... in the crop feature it has the "maintain aspect ratio" option.

even though sometimes ill tweak the ratio just a tad...
Dj Nyce 3:14 PM - 27 April, 2010
I'm currently modifying my powershell scripts so that the makeAvS script to read the DGIndex log to determine if the file is 4:3 or 16:9. Then the makeavs script will be able to choose between 2 template avs files (4:3 or 16:9).

i'll post up the new script when i'm done.
DJ DisGrace 3:37 PM - 27 April, 2010
I think I'm going to need to try this.....

But, what happens to an IVTC'd file once I stretch/shorten it to make a video edit? Won't my video editor then re-add some frames to get back to 25 fps?
Joshua Carl 3:47 PM - 27 April, 2010
@Disgrace
cant you set the fps in most programs?
I know in vegas you do.

@ culprit
like losing the audio sync?
is this while removing the duplicate frames, or in general?
Ive never had that issue... but i know some people have had issues with media coder
give my preset for a 29-24 conversion a shot (above)

heres my present to keep the fps the same.
www.sendspace.com

if anyone has a good preset for mediacoder to render a file ready for vegas let me know...I just havent sat down and messed with it to create one....
DJ DisGrace 5:31 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
@Disgrace
cant you set the fps in most programs?
I know in vegas you do.

here is the scenario I'm thinkin of:

- I take a 29.97 dvd rip, IVTC to 25
- the original video is 118 bpm, but the remix audio is 128
- I need to "squeeze" the video to line up with the new audio
- If I render the project at 25 fps, Vegas will need to delete/duplicate frames?
- or would I render the project at 27.11 fps??? i.e. (128/118)*25
Joshua Carl 5:58 PM - 27 April, 2010
I thought you first render a file to work with in VEGAS.

thast was my last question actually.

if you do a render from a vob (@ 29.97) and decimate the frames and
output it as a uncompressed AVI (rather than a .264 mp4)
when u drop that into vegas u wont lose quality from the original vob, plus not
have the extra fames.

as i understand it
djpuma_gemini 6:47 PM - 27 April, 2010
@disgrace, I think you are overthinking it.

Don't fuck with your fps when doing edits.
Set the project fps at exactly what your input file is and make sure you render out with that as well.

640x360 @23.97 in = 640x360 @23.97 out Uncompressed avi.
Joshua Carl 7:00 PM - 27 April, 2010
wouldnt it make more sense, correct me if Im wrong, to get rid of the duplicate frames BEFORE doing your editing?
djpuma_gemini 7:03 PM - 27 April, 2010
yeah (IVTC)
that is what brett said from the jump on this.

I take the vob remove the dupe from with the dgindex,meguie,virtual dub stuff (unc avi)
load into vegas, edit and render out unc avi with same settings as input file. load into sorenson and compress to mp4 and keep same aspect ratio, fps.
Joshua Carl 7:12 PM - 27 April, 2010
- I take a 29.97 dvd rip, IVTC to 25
- If I render the project at 25 fps, Vegas will need to delete/duplicate frame

I sort of mis-read Disgrace's question.
but to clarify what he was asking (above)

if you have IVTC'd it to 25fps (I thought it was 24fps???)
the frames are gone... you have already deleted them...

so, in vegas you will be outputting the same as your input.
which is what we aim for.
djpuma_gemini 7:25 PM - 27 April, 2010
I use 24fps or 24p, not 25 isn't 25 PAL?
carter 8:33 PM - 27 April, 2010
Anyway to render out of AvS in an uncompressed format other than avi? Or remux the m2v and audio back together as a vob/mpeg2 in the script?
djpuma_gemini 9:43 PM - 27 April, 2010
yeah, I would like to make another vob, so I can do that to all my files and keep the new vob. I can't keep all those 8gb files to use for edits, it's a once i make the edit I delete the unc avi, but still have the shitty vob.

OT,
has anyone came across a vob that only had ac3 audio and virtual dub wouldn't take it.
Drake's over has that problem
carter 10:05 PM - 27 April, 2010
Exactly. I archive all of my files to vob and it would be nice to not have to do that to every file every time I want to use that track for a mix or a mash or to keep a huge uncompressed file sitting around in a file...especially in archive. Or to have the option to use that file in FCP since it doesn't take avi.
DJ DisGrace 10:49 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
I sort of mis-read Disgrace's question.
but to clarify what he was asking (above)

if you have IVTC'd it to 25fps (I thought it was 24fps???)
the frames are gone... you have already deleted them...

so, in vegas you will be outputting the same as your input.
which is what we aim for.

yes sorry... 24 fps

So uncompressed avi into Vegas at 24 fps... I misunderstood that part.

But my question is what happens to the frames that become "extra" when I speed up this uncompressed avi to make a remix edit. The video file is now 10% faster, so I have 10% too many frames if I render the finished remix project to 24 fps. Aren't we back where we started, with duplicate frames?
djpuma_gemini 11:01 PM - 27 April, 2010
When you time stretch the file you aren't messing with the fps (i don't believe)
a-swift 11:42 PM - 27 April, 2010
Quote:
When you time stretch the file you aren't messing with the fps (i don't believe)

the fps stays the same but new frames must be added or dropped, depending on if you're stretching or shrinking.

the algorithms for whether to create new frames by doubling, create new frames by blending, or even something smarter, can make a huge difference on the quality of the stretch algorithm. same goes for shrinking.

the best (and most time consuming to render), is to use something that does a pixel by pixel analysis of the image and knows from frame to frame, where the image is moving to and coming from.
DJ Brett B 11:01 AM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
But my question is what happens to the frames that become "extra" when I speed up this uncompressed avi to make a remix edit. The video file is now 10% faster, so I have 10% too many frames if I render the finished remix project to 24 fps. Aren't we back where we started, with duplicate frames?

Yes, and in the rare case that I do an edit like that, I always deal with it on a per-video basis. For example, if I'm speeding something up significantly and the source is 23.976fps, I'll output at 29.97fps just to give it more room to "blend" those frames with. If it's a one-percent speed up, I just stick to 23.976.
DJ Brett B 11:02 AM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Aren't we back where we started, with duplicate frames?

Forgot to address this question. No, Vegas doesn't duplicate frames by default. Like A-Swift said, there are algorithms within the software that kind of "blend" the frames together.
a-swift 12:58 PM - 28 April, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Aren't we back where we started, with duplicate frames?

Forgot to address this question. No, Vegas doesn't duplicate frames by default. Like A-Swift said, there are algorithms within the software that kind of "blend" the frames together.

yeah, it "creates" new frames entirely that didn't exist before. of course if you're working in progressive, these frames created out of thin air will also be progressive.
DJ DisGrace 1:20 PM - 28 April, 2010
Thanks for the great answers guys... I can see myself using this method for my own edits, where there would probably be some time stretching going on.
Culprit 5:07 AM - 30 April, 2010
Thanks to this guide, here is some quality samples I am getting now. (mind you the sources are really good). They are less than 30 second samples.

www.sendspace.com
www.sendspace.com
dj blackbelt 8:56 AM - 2 May, 2010
Quote:
Thanks to this guide, here is some quality samples I am getting now. (mind you the sources are really good). They are less than 30 second samples.

www.sendspace.com
www.sendspace.com

Great Quality mp4s mate..
Culprit 10:54 PM - 2 May, 2010
thank u sir
dj blackbelt 9:28 AM - 3 May, 2010
Quote:
yeah, I would like to make another vob, so I can do that to all my files and keep the new vob. I can't keep all those 8gb files to use for edits, it's a once i make the edit I delete the unc avi, but still have the shitty vob.

OT,
has anyone came across a vob that only had ac3 audio and virtual dub wouldn't take it.
Drake's over has that problem

you do not have to keep the unc .avi from vegas.You can delete this soon after converting it to mp4 because its not the file you use for making edits.

You can keep the unc .avi from virtualdub if you want because its not that big and its the one you use to make edits.It never gets to 8gig in size.Do you get what i mean?

And yes, i have ripped a dvd with ac3 file that virtualdub wouldnt take.
Right now i'm thinking of converting the ac3 to another format before trying again to use it in virtualdub.
I'll get back to you if i find the solution.
dj blackbelt 11:20 AM - 3 May, 2010
Yeah, i went on to convert the ac3 file to mp3 or wav and it works perfect in virtualDub.

I used a program Goldwave.
Im sure you can get some freeware to do the same job.
DJ Brett B 12:16 AM - 4 May, 2010
Quote:

www.sendspace.com
www.sendspace.com

Those look perfect! You've definitely got it.
dj lad 6:42 AM - 13 May, 2010
Is there a way to do this in a simple fashion for the mac?
Culprit 7:56 AM - 13 May, 2010
It's been determined that, at the moment, it is not possible to do this on mac, unless you use bootcamp to windows.
Dj Nyce 3:54 AM - 14 May, 2010
why do people like using bootcamp. you have to restart your laptop. use parallels, vmware or wine bottler.
DJ g-force 4:52 AM - 14 May, 2010
I was able to do this on the Mac with Episode Encoder.

www.telestream.net
DJ DisGrace 6:34 AM - 16 May, 2010
I think I've got it figured out... Used some IVTC Promo Only footage to make an edit in Vegas. The difference is night and day, even when exporting the mp4 directly from vegas!!! Thanks Brett

Now my problem is when I try to take the avi from vegas to encode in MeGUI, I get an error saying there is no FAAC.exe file... am I missing something very basic?
DJ DisGrace 6:47 AM - 16 May, 2010
wow! ok I'm sold....

here is a 15 second clip... this was rendered out of Vegas. Compared to the output of the original VOB, this is unreal!

www.mediafire.com

Thanks Brett, now I need to redo all my edits..... *grumbling*

Is there a way to substitute the source file in Vegas? I hear there is a way to this in FCP. If I could redo my edits simply by substituting the IVTC'd file for the VOB I originally used. I would be VERY happy
DJ DisGrace 7:10 AM - 16 May, 2010
a side by side comparison

www.mediafire.com
DJ-Phat-AL 11:34 AM - 16 May, 2010
Quote:
Is there a way to substitute the source file in Vegas?

yes there is a way.

go to the project media tab and look for your video file and right click and go to "replace" search for you replacement file and that's it.

I have been doing that for a while... going back and slowly replacing old edits with newer IVTC'd videos.
DJ DisGrace 1:16 AM - 17 May, 2010
thx Al...

For resizing.... does this script make sense to preserve widescreen?

Crop (14,0,-14,-0)
Lanczos4Resize(640,480)
Crop(0,70,-0,-70)
Lanczos4Resize(640,360)

or am I better to not "stretch" the video. like this:
Crop (14,0,-14,-0)
Lanczos4Resize(640,480)
Crop(0,70,-0,-70)
Lanczos4Resize(640,340)
djpuma_gemini 5:13 AM - 17 May, 2010
why not
Crop (14,0,-14,-0)
Lanczos4Resize(640,480)
Crop(0,60,-0,-60)
Lanczos4Resize(640,360)

How do you get 360 from 480 subtracting 140
djpuma_gemini 5:15 AM - 17 May, 2010
I just did a test with a po vob and ivtc'd it and did a little clip to compare, rendered both (unc avi and og po vob) to mp4 with vegas and there is a noticeable difference.
Only thing now is I can't get vegas to deinterlace when I render to mp4. I got it set as progressive, but no go still.
Culprit 5:56 AM - 17 May, 2010
Quote:
I just did a test with a po vob and ivtc'd it and did a little clip to compare, rendered both (unc avi and og po vob) to mp4 with vegas and there is a noticeable difference.
Only thing now is I can't get vegas to deinterlace when I render to mp4. I got it set as progressive, but no go still.

IVTC and Deinterlace to uncompressed avi, edit uncompressed avi in vegas, then render to mp4 from vegas using progressive.
DJ DisGrace 12:22 PM - 17 May, 2010
Quote:

u don't lol.... I guess the final video doesn't NEED to be 360. If its 340 or 320 or whatever it qorks out to, that's the way I'll keep it
djpuma_gemini 3:39 PM - 17 May, 2010
@culprit.
I can get from vegas to avi to mp4, but I used to be able to render straight from vegas to mp4 and they came out deinnterlaced (i believe)

Does anyone get the PO dff files, do they look as bad as they vobs ripped from their dvd's?
DJ DisGrace 9:51 PM - 17 May, 2010
Quote:

www.mediafire.com

I'd have to guess the main difference here is due to the deinterlacing algorithm. As much as removing duplicate frames helps, it won't make the picture that much crisper.

The fuzzy one was VOB deinerlaced in and rendered to mp4 Vegas. The crispy one is IVTC'd and deinterlaced with SviSynth, then edited and rendered to mp4 using Vegas
djpuma_gemini 11:15 PM - 17 May, 2010
@disgrace.

I did the same thing last night with the luda how low vob.
The text looked clearer in the ivtc'd video.
DJ DisGrace 12:09 AM - 18 May, 2010
Quote:
@disgrace.

I did the same thing last night with the luda how low vob.
The text looked clearer in the ivtc'd video.

did you deinterlace with avisynth or vegas? I'm not concerned enough to narrow it down and figure it out tho lol. I'd rather spend the time redoing some edits
Culprit 12:29 AM - 18 May, 2010
Quote:
@culprit.
I can get from vegas to avi to mp4, but I used to be able to render straight from vegas to mp4 and they came out deinnterlaced (i believe)

Does anyone get the PO dff files, do they look as bad as they vobs ripped from their dvd's?

Deinterlaced, yes, ivtc no. Removing that duplicate frame makes the file size a little slimmer, its a little less cpu intensive, playback is a little better and looks a little clearer.
djpuma_gemini 1:05 AM - 18 May, 2010
Yeah, I prefer the 24fps, or 23.98 to be exact, but I doubt I will go through my entire library and change them all.

What's done is done, but from now on it's all ivtc even though I could pump out tons of quick intro edits by using just the vobs, but now I gotta add this extra ivtc step.
Culprit 1:15 AM - 18 May, 2010
Quote:
Yeah, I prefer the 24fps, or 23.98 to be exact, but I doubt I will go through my entire library and change them all.

What's done is done, but from now on it's all ivtc even though I could pump out tons of quick intro edits by using just the vobs, but now I gotta add this extra ivtc step.

Indeed, I am not going through my whole library, but for new dvd's and my best of dvd's, definitely.
DJ Brett B 4:49 AM - 18 May, 2010
Quote:

www.mediafire.com

Yes! Huuuuge difference! That looks amazingly better.

Quote:
why not
Crop (14,0,-14,-0)
Lanczos4Resize(640,480)
Crop(0,60,-0,-60)
Lanczos4Resize(640,360)

After you crop 60 from top and bottom, you don't need to resize again, as it will automatically be 640x360. I really recommend ONLY cropping 60, even if the actual video still has some letterbox bars, because any further cropping wouldn't be true anamorphic 16:9 widescreen. Not a big deal when playing on your computer, but when you output out of VSL, it will get stretched in weird ways once it finally hits the TV/projector.
DJ Brett B 4:51 AM - 18 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

u don't lol.... I guess the final video doesn't NEED to be 360. If its 340 or 320 or whatever it qorks out to, that's the way I'll keep it

Again, this is just a matter of opinion, but I really think it should be kept as 360 whenever possible. Even if that means there's some extra black bars within the video.

For example, if you're playing in VSL and you have it set to "stretch", then the video will be stretched vertically since it has to fill those extra pixels. It's just easier to have only two standards for everything. 640x480 for 4:3 videos, and 640x360 for 16:9 videos.
DJ Brett B 4:54 AM - 18 May, 2010
I'm so glad everyone seems to be getting this! Good to know I didn't screw up the guide too much ;)
Culprit 4:55 AM - 18 May, 2010
Yes, thanks for the guide brett, sorry for all the stupid questions but I got everything sorted out now.
KMXE 12:23 AM - 21 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Again, this is just a matter of opinion, but I really think it should be kept as 360 whenever possible. Even if that means there's some extra black bars within the video.

For example, if you're playing in VSL and you have it set to "stretch", then the video will be stretched vertically since it has to fill those extra pixels. It's just easier to have only two standards for everything. 640x480 for 4:3 videos, and 640x360 for 16:9 videos.

ive read in other forums that cropping all the black irrespective of what the your final frame size is is much better than leaving them in because a) you're encoding black which is a waste of time and b) the file size is smaller.

Ive tried this and have had weird frame sizes for a video (624x344 for example) and in VSL ive left the settings as Preserve video size. This seems to work just fine without cropping the video, letterboxing is introduced if the video is widescreen etc on a 4:3 screen and pillars are introduced if playing a 4:3 video on a widescreen tv.

what do you think of this? Is there something in this that might be 'bad' or might go wrong?
victor_M 4:50 PM - 21 May, 2010
Quote:
Removed by mod

waaaaatttt!!!!

Thanks for fucking a good shit up....

DJ Brett B and others who had constructive things to say on the thread thanks I appreciate it. I learned a hell of a lot.
nik39 4:57 PM - 21 May, 2010
Don't feed the trolls. The mods will delete these posts.
Culprit 5:06 PM - 21 May, 2010
Quote:
Don't feed the trolls. The mods will delete these posts.

indeed just ignore the messages
tomatoslice 5:10 PM - 21 May, 2010
kinda ridiculous at this point.
why aren't they banned yet?
nik39 5:15 PM - 21 May, 2010
Because it is something like 5o'clock in the morning on a saturday in New Zealand?
victor_M 5:48 PM - 21 May, 2010
true..

it's just stupid shit like that that gets my CV02 all in a bunch
djpuma_gemini 6:02 PM - 21 May, 2010
who banned?
i'm lost
Culprit 6:05 PM - 21 May, 2010
Quote:
who banned? i'm lost

Spammer again but the mods deleted and banned
tomatoslice 8:40 PM - 21 May, 2010
Quote:
Because it is something like 5o'clock in the morning on a saturday in New Zealand?

true true, but Chads is is seattle...i like him as a banner guy.

its gone anyway, i wonder who got it.
DJMark 5:13 PM - 23 May, 2010
I'm seeing some videos that have a very irregular pattern of interlaced frames. Madonna's "Celebration" from the DVD, and her live "Sticky & Sweet" DVD are two examples.

Could these have been originally shot in PAL resolution/25fps? I notice that both the Smashvidz and iTunes version of "Celebration" are 25fps...

Assuming these did originate at 25fps and were converted to 29.97 for DVD, is there any way to IVTC these, or is deinterlacing the only solution?
DJ Brett B 10:23 PM - 24 May, 2010
Quote:
Ive tried this and have had weird frame sizes for a video (624x344 for example) and in VSL ive left the settings as Preserve video size. This seems to work just fine without cropping the video, letterboxing is introduced if the video is widescreen etc on a 4:3 screen and pillars are introduced if playing a 4:3 video on a widescreen tv.

what do you think of this? Is there something in this that might be 'bad' or might go wrong?

It just comes down to what you prefer. While I normally hate stretching 4:3 to 16:9, I prefer it to be stretched in the club, as I think the pillar boxes kind of take away from the visual aspect (again, I only mean while DJing. When watching stuff at home I keep everything correct AR). But again that's just my opinion. You can do it however you prefer! Like I said, I just keep everything in two standards so that the widescreen videos are never stretched vertically.. that looks even more weird IMO.
DJ Brett B 10:26 PM - 24 May, 2010
Quote:
Could these have been originally shot in PAL resolution/25fps? I notice that both the Smashvidz and iTunes version of "Celebration" are 25fps...

Assuming these did originate at 25fps and were converted to 29.97 for DVD, is there any way to IVTC these, or is deinterlacing the only solution?

Yes, unfortunately, there are issues like this from time to time. If possible, I usually go out of my way to try and obtain PAL versions of these videos, although even if you have the PO DVD legally, I'm not sure if it's 100% legal to grab a PAL version from another country, due to licensing issues.

Just speaking "theoretically" here, if you did manage to get a PAL version of a particular video that was shot natively in PAL, then all you need to do is deinterlace and you're good to go. But to answer your original question, yes, if you do choose to keep the NTSC versions, your only choice is to deinterlace. You can't extract the original PAL frames once they've been converted to NTSC in that way, unfortunately.
DJMark 3:35 AM - 25 May, 2010
Thanks Brett, that's what I was afraid of...

At least I've been able to get pretty decent results on that kind of stuff using some of the better deinterlacing tools.
dj lad 9:47 PM - 25 May, 2010
FWIW the new Adobe Premiere can import VOB files directly. There's still the decimate issue though.
djpuma_gemini 10:37 PM - 25 May, 2010
So can Vegas, I would like a way to take the unc avi from virtual dub and make a vob to keep. I can't keep 4gb avi's around. Too much space taken up.
D-Twizzle 11:19 PM - 25 May, 2010
just save the original vob if you need the space. if you need the uncompressed avi in the future, you can just make it again in virtual dub with the original vob. takes a little bit of time, but saves a lot of space.
Culprit 11:46 PM - 25 May, 2010
Quote:
just save the original vob if you need the space. if you need the uncompressed avi in the future, you can just make it again in virtual dub with the original vob. takes a little bit of time, but saves a lot of space.

Yep this is what I do. I usually burn each project - the avi file to a cdr they are so cheap now.
djpuma_gemini 12:14 AM - 26 May, 2010
Actually can't you keep the .d2v and wav file as well then you just need to load it into Vdub.

Thanks.
DJ-Phat-AL 1:08 AM - 26 May, 2010
Quote:

Yep this is what I do. I usually burn each project - the avi file to a cdr they are so cheap now.

Please post a link to the 4gb CDR's....

actually I did the math before... Hard Drive space is actually cheaper that burning everything out to DVD or CD.

Just buy more hard drives.
DJMark 1:30 AM - 26 May, 2010
Quote:

Not only cheaper, but saves a hell of a lot of time.
Culprit 2:51 AM - 26 May, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Please post a link to the 4gb CDR's....

actually I did the math before... Hard Drive space is actually cheaper that burning everything out to DVD or CD.

huh? guess you didnt notice the minus avi files in there buddy
DJ-Phat-AL 6:38 AM - 26 May, 2010
write out the word minus next time... I don't think anyone notice that.
DJMark 7:38 AM - 26 May, 2010
Working on Janet Jackson "Escapade" right now (ripped from the "Design of a Decade" DVD). This video has always bothered me a bit for being "dark" when on-screen.

The VOB, loaded into MPEG Streamclip, shows a 23.976 frame-rate. So presumably that DVD was authored as one of the "good" ones (adds the extra frames in playback on a DVD player)?

But when scanning through that video, there's a number of places where I can see some noticeable interlacing. Not every three frames or anything, just an occasional random pair of frames at a few points in the video. Seeing the same thing on other tracks from that DVD. These aren't at scene-changes, either.

I'm both puzzled about how that happened (maybe someone IVTC'ed from an earlier NTSC dub?), and if there's any reasonable way to fix it.

"Runaway" from that same DVD is also 23.976fps in the VOB, but looks like there's interlacing on every single frame (?!).

Any thoughts?
DJ Brett B 11:30 PM - 27 May, 2010
Quote:
Working on Janet Jackson "Escapade" right now (ripped from the "Design of a Decade" DVD). This video has always bothered me a bit for being "dark" when on-screen.

The VOB, loaded into MPEG Streamclip, shows a 23.976 frame-rate. So presumably that DVD was authored as one of the "good" ones (adds the extra frames in playback on a DVD player)?

But when scanning through that video, there's a number of places where I can see some noticeable interlacing. Not every three frames or anything, just an occasional random pair of frames at a few points in the video. Seeing the same thing on other tracks from that DVD. These aren't at scene-changes, either.

I'm both puzzled about how that happened (maybe someone IVTC'ed from an earlier NTSC dub?), and if there's any reasonable way to fix it.

"Runaway" from that same DVD is also 23.976fps in the VOB, but looks like there's interlacing on every single frame (?!).

Any thoughts?

Can you post a 10-second sample of one of the problem areas?
Joshua Carl 2:22 AM - 24 June, 2010
question/discovery...

in my never ending quest to make shit out of shine-ola' I was tweaking my workflow
when faced with a 29.97 file that indeed needs to be pulled down and I noitced in
Vegas, under AVI there are 2x 4 options for writing directly out of vegas and
it incorporates the pull down.

they are:
ntsc 24 (actual setting IS 23.976) insterting 2-3 pulldown
and
ntsc 24 (actual setting IS 23.976) insterting 2-3-3-2 pulldown
and the same ones for a widescreen setting.

(I used the 2-3... honestly I couldn tell the difference)

once I set that I went in and changed it to uncompessed avi and the screen size to
640x480 (the ntsc locks it at 720x480)...but the original video IS 640x480
then I went to my mainstay of mediacoder to render out the final MP4.

Im pretty happy with the results.
I was curious from the Vegas gurus why no one caught this before...
or is there a reason vegas editors dont do it this way?
Joshua Carl 2:25 AM - 24 June, 2010
sidebar... theres about 10 different de-interlacers on medicoder.
I jump back and forth between YADIF and Linear blend.
Yadif seems to yeild the best results when I DO need to use it... but is there a better one?
DJ Brett B 5:08 AM - 24 June, 2010
Well, those "NTSC 24" settings are converting to DV. Not horrible, but I'm just paranoid about losing even the slightest quality, so I keep everything uncompressed until the final encode. If that works for you, then great.

However, what you said about deinterlacing in mencoder raised a red flag for me. Since you rendered out to DV, your video wasn't 24p anymore. It was 29.97 with 2:3 pulldown. Because of that, you'll need to IVTC again before encoding. YADIF and linear blend are both forms of deinterlacing, and not forms of IVTC.

Are your final MP4s 29.97 or 23.976?
Joshua Carl 2:01 PM - 24 June, 2010
thanks for the quick response brett

its 23.976
heres the workflow.

29.97 rip from dvd to vob

editing done in vegas w/ settings at 29.97 in properties.
rendered out of vegas with the ntsc 24 (actual setting IS 23.976) insterting 2-3-3-2 pulldown avi setting
changed to uncompressed

render in media coder @ 23.976

I noticed last night after a tad more tweaking and comparing the 2-3 & 2-3-3-2
that the 2-3-3-2 does NOT need the de-interlacer.
and the final product certainly looks a tad better, so I "think" the 2-3-3-2 is doing
the proper pulldown...
djpuma_gemini 2:39 PM - 24 June, 2010
I don't think vegas does proper ivtc.

Why not take the vob and ivtc first and then edit with vegas and export at ivtc film at 23.976 unc avi.
Culprit 7:58 PM - 24 June, 2010
Joshua, you still getting that 5th frame right?
Joshua Carl 8:35 PM - 24 June, 2010
nopes.
as mentioned, with the 2-3-3-2 setting (and no de-interlacer) the 5th frame is gone.
and its not a de-interlaced picture.

like Puma suggested, it makes more sense in the workflow to just work with the 23.976
file.

so I dropped the vob in vegas, and used the ntsc 24insterting 2-3-3-2 pulldown avi setting, changed the compression to uncompressed.
cropped accordingly and rendered out the avi.

I was pretty happy with the results...though, as usual...Im caught up with
is it good, or am i just patting myself on the back for the improvments Im seeing.
DJ Brett B 10:45 AM - 25 June, 2010
Can you please post a short sample? I'm very curious about this. I have a feeling it might not be doing proper IVTC, but I'd love to be proven wrong! :)
Joshua Carl 2:40 PM - 25 June, 2010
yeah...Ill hit u up on fb
Culprit 3:32 AM - 22 July, 2010
just upgraded to windows 7 ultimate 64bit addition and switched out my raid 1 for for (4) 1.5tb hard drives in raid 10, added 4 more gigs on my monster machine and I am very happy with the results
DJ Brett B 7:42 PM - 22 July, 2010
Quote:
just upgraded to windows 7 ultimate 64bit addition and switched out my raid 1 for for (4) 1.5tb hard drives in raid 10, added 4 more gigs on my monster machine and I am very happy with the results

Very nice! My main machine is now an i7-860 w/ 4GB RAM, and I get around 90fps encoding. I'm okay with that! :)
Culprit 7:46 PM - 22 July, 2010
yeah on my second pass I am getting roughly 50-60 fps which is really nice and that problem I was having with vlc not playing avi files correctly fixed and avi files load in vegas in seconds.
djpuma_gemini 8:02 PM - 22 July, 2010
Quote:
yeah on my second pass I am getting roughly 50-60 fps which is really nice and that problem I was having with vlc not playing avi files correctly fixed and avi files load in vegas in seconds.

are you having an issue where vegas takes forever to load the file and when vlc on plays 38 seconds of the avi?
Culprit 8:07 PM - 22 July, 2010
I was with vista 64bit, i upgraded to windows 7 ultimate and that issue went away.
djpuma_gemini 8:24 PM - 22 July, 2010
I have that issue I stated above, but it's with XP, windows 7 (on bootcamp) runs horribly slow and vegas tends to turn opaque and take forever to do anything. Still using crappy XP
Culprit 8:28 PM - 22 July, 2010
man must take you forever to do edits then. I am running on a desktop when I do my edits. Here is my specs

Intel i5 750 w/ 8GB, (2) MSI Radeon 5670 in crossfire, Windows 7 ultimate 64b
djpuma_gemini 8:46 PM - 22 July, 2010
Quote:
man must take you forever to do edits then. I am running on a desktop when I do my edits. Here is my specs

Intel i5 750 w/ 8GB, (2) MSI Radeon 5670 in crossfire, Windows 7 ultimate 64b

Doesn't take forever. Mac Pro 8 core with 8gigs of ram.
Sucks xp only uses 3 of it and win 7 blows with it.

I might have to reinstall again, but it's a pain in the ass and I'm too scared to install over my xp part because it works great and it will suck if I have to start over.
djpuma_gemini 8:47 PM - 22 July, 2010
I do need a new video card though, it's the og one and it suciks.
Culprit 8:49 PM - 22 July, 2010
mabey some driver issues? the upgrade from xp to windows 7 is almost a must man.. let us know if you figure it out.
djpuma_gemini 9:22 PM - 22 July, 2010
I think I'll back up the xp partition and try it.

I highly recommend winclone to backup your windows partitions for those of you who own macs and run windows on them.

I back up our bootcamp parts at work with it and it's awesome, you can even resize the partition without losing the data.
Niro 8:03 PM - 23 July, 2010
Puma I might be selling my Radeon ATI 4870 card, can't remember. Might be getting a new octo. hit me up
djpuma_gemini 9:11 PM - 23 July, 2010
I was just looking at mac pro video cards.

Gotta see what that is compared to my crappy ati 2600 xt
Culprit 9:25 PM - 23 July, 2010
i have two of these in my desktop system www.frys.com
djpuma_gemini 9:29 PM - 23 July, 2010
unfortunately apple are pricks and don't allow you to use any video card.
RAYMIXX 3:50 AM - 27 July, 2010
Hey Brett B,

New to Video-SL and I'm trying to edit all my music video's that are already MP4...what do you recommend I use??

I've been using Quicktime Pro, but for some of the videos it's giving me that ghost effect after I'm done editing them.
carter 6:31 PM - 9 August, 2010
I've been working with the settings on Handbrake with regards to detelecining and I'm stuck. I need a video player for Mac that will allow me to go frame by frame without having to load up FCP or Premier. VLC only does 3 second intervals and Quicktime doesn't load vobs. Currently I'm loading up Parallels and then running MEGui to check video files before testing my settings in Handbrake. So far the results have been pretty good. I'll post those later. But right now I'm looking for a player that will show frame by frame to check for the duplicate 5th frame. Thanks.
nik39 6:40 PM - 9 August, 2010
mplayer.
djpuma_gemini 6:52 PM - 9 August, 2010
mpegstreamclip?
havent tested it though
carter 8:06 PM - 9 August, 2010
Mplayer is a no go unless there's a super secret way to get into frame mode besides hitting the . button as stated online. Streamclip does frame by frame but it is either blending frames or dropping the 5th frame automatically. I'm using a 29.97 video that I know has a duplicate 5th frame. I already created an avs file for the video in Windows but I'm trying to find something on Mac that will even show that 5th frame.
popnwave 8:18 PM - 9 August, 2010
I find it ironic that OSX software is being such a pain with showing these frames, especially since Apples were THE platform for audio/video editing for so long. Guess most of the video scenesters moved over to Windows at some point in the 90s and haven't gone back yet.
nik39 8:25 PM - 9 August, 2010
Quote:
Mplayer is a no go unless there's a super secret way to get into frame mode besides hitting the . button as stated online.

Uhm... what else do you need? I thought that's what you were asking for?
carter 8:32 PM - 9 August, 2010
I was asking for a player that would do frame by frame and not auto drop the 5th frame or blend frames. I can't seem to get mplayer to do frame by frame at all. If I press the . button it stops or plays. If I hold down the . button it advances slowly but not enough to check for a duplicate frame.

And yeah, I'm there with pop. I can't believe that Mac doesn't have some way of showing these frames without having to load up an editor or Parallels to use tools in Windows. If I have to check every video in Windows first so be it, but I was hoping for a Mac solution to detecting duplicate frames.
nik39 8:43 PM - 9 August, 2010
Quote:
I was asking for a player that would do frame by frame and not auto drop the 5th frame or blend frames.

Not sure what you're trying to say.

Quote:
I can't seem to get mplayer to do frame by frame at all. If I press the . button it stops or plays. If I hold down the . button it advances slowly but not enough to check for a duplicate frame.

My version of mplayer stops when I press "." and jumps to the next frame when I press "." again.
carter 8:48 PM - 9 August, 2010
What version? I'm using MPlayer OS X 2.0 (2.0b9r5).

Still working on an answer to the first. I think I figured out why it doesn't show that 5th frame. So hold on that one for right now.
carter 8:55 PM - 9 August, 2010
Ok I went back and checked my avs script and the duplicate frame doesn't show until after the Deint () command is entered. Is that right?
In other words, with the script showing just the load and resize command, the file is still showing interlacing and there is no sign of a 5th frame duplicate. It's basically a resized version of the d2v file. After I enter the TDeint command there is a visible 5th frame duplicate. Then I go in and add the Decimate (5) command.
Before I go on does all of that seem to be correct?
nik39 8:59 PM - 9 August, 2010
Quote:
What version? I'm using MPlayer OS X 2.0 (2.0b9r5).

MPlayer dev-SVN-r25648-4.0.1

Quote:
After I enter the TDeint command there is a visible 5th frame duplicate.

Correct. TDeint will recombine the 5 frames into 4 leaving one duplicate which Decimate will eliminate then.
carter 9:04 PM - 9 August, 2010
Quote:

Correct. TDeint will recombine the 5 frames into 4 leaving one duplicate which Decimate will eliminate then.

And there is no other way to achieve this other than by going through AVS, correct?
nik39 9:08 PM - 9 August, 2010
Not sure what your question is. Other software also offer IVTC functions. Does that answer your question?
Joshua Carl 9:09 PM - 9 August, 2010
right, I run it with decimate.
becuase not everything needs to be de-interlaced AND ivtc'd

Ive found thus far... most do though.

Ive noticed, as much as a great picture as the TDEINT gives you it does as a little "blur" to the picture.
Ive been correcting this in vegas by adding a .040-.060 sharpness effect
I know theres Yadif, and a few other de-interlacers.
is TDEINT the best option for us?

also, if you use megui/h.264 to render an mp4 how do you adjust the keyframes?
mine have been coming out ok... but not IDEAL...I get a little lag
carter 9:21 PM - 9 August, 2010
What I'm trying to find is a way to view the 5th frame on a Mac. My question is, is there a method for Mac that will display that 5th frame as it would through AVISynth after the TDeint command? That's what I'm trying to get at. I know it's a stretch.
Joshua Carl 9:40 PM - 9 August, 2010
try it with NO commands...

I might be wrong here, but if you take a 29.97 vob, and add a de-interlacer it will
blend the frames...
with nothing applied you will see the 5th frame.
djpuma_gemini 9:55 PM - 9 August, 2010
mpegstreamclip will let you do it, just hit the arrow over button. You can see the minutes, seconds and frames move. after 29 frames a new second appears.
djpuma_gemini 9:56 PM - 9 August, 2010
just checked two sources. one a 29.97 and one a 23.976 fps.
the 29 had dupe frames.
carter 9:58 PM - 9 August, 2010
Quote:
just checked two sources. one a 29.97 and one a 23.976 fps.
the 29 had dupe frames.

That's awesome. Testing my file now to see if it's the same.
carter 10:43 PM - 9 August, 2010
Ok. Yeah. I can definitely see a duplicate frame coming in between that sometimes isn't noted as a frame. Like it will be :18,19 and then another frame and then :18,20. So between 19 and 20 there are 3 frames instead of 2. It's not the same as 4 frames then dupe, but it's a start. Thanks. I'll keep working at it.
DJ Brett B 1:18 AM - 10 August, 2010
Quote:
I find it ironic that OSX software is being such a pain with showing these frames, especially since Apples were THE platform for audio/video editing for so long. Guess most of the video scenesters moved over to Windows at some point in the 90s and haven't gone back yet.

And you hit the nail right on the head. Macs are way too focused on consumer friendliness for me. I like my raw geeky video tools on Windows that allow me to see frame-by-frame data, etc. That's exactly why I use Windows for all of my editing.
carter 3:59 PM - 10 August, 2010
It's not even Macs that aren't focused on consumer friendliness, it's some of the programs too. I've been testing the detelecine process in Handbrake and it actually puts out a really good picture. But there are too many downsides. The main ones: 1. There isn't a reliable way on a Mac to unblend frames to check for a duplicate 5th frame as there is with the AviSynth code. In order for it to work in Handbrake you would have to hard set the frame rate at 23.98. Handbrake then removes the duplicated frames through the detelecine default and leaves the frame rate at 23.98. If the duplicate frames aren't there the frame rate is higher than 23.98 and you get a jacked up file. So you have to be able to test the 4-1 frame before even going into Handbrake. 2. In Handbrake there isn't a way to resize a 720x480 frame size down to 640x360. Since the resize and cropping aren't independent, any cropping done affects the resize parameters. And since Handbrake only works in increments of 16 you always end up with 640x368 frame.
Even in Mpeg Streamclip you can set the frame size independently from the cropping and get a perfect 640x360 but there isn't a decombing feature or a detelecine feature. So you're left with deinterlace, which in side by side comparisons is a pretty big difference between both the Handbrake file and the AviSynth file. It's really noticeable when you're looking at PO chyrons.
It was interesting seeing the actual results in Handbrake after taking time to go through the wiki and test on videos that I knew had pulldown applied. I just wish the GUI had more options available to take full advantage of what the program can do.
DJ Brett B 8:54 PM - 10 August, 2010
Yep, sounds like you found exactly what I did, in regards to Handbrake.

Now, there have been a couple of last-minute emergency situations where I needed to rip and encode something quickly before a gig, and Handbrake did the job for the most part. Unfortunately, yes, I could only get 640x368 and every once in a while the IVTC cadence gets messed up, which Handbrake does NOT handle well (believe me.. ugh). But as you said, with the AviSynth method, you can check every individual frame before applying any IVTC processes to make sure the video actually needs to be IVTC'd. It's not that I'm against other options... it's just that I've never seen anything (yet) that can match the power of AviSynth.
nik39 8:57 PM - 10 August, 2010
From my experience Handbrake does a pretty good job (except for the 16pixel limitation), it usually tries to resync to the pulldown pattern which is very handy for situations where the cadence got messed up. *shrug*
DJ Brett B 9:11 PM - 10 August, 2010
"Tries" being the key word there.. haha
carter 10:53 PM - 10 August, 2010
I'm still learning about the different cadences. But exactly. If there were some changes to the way Handbrake handled resizing and cropping it would be a little better for just the average user. It still wouldn't be much good to the guys using AviSynth to get an uncompressed file but for those doing simple encodes it has the potential to give better results.
Joshua Carl 4:27 PM - 12 August, 2010
Curious.
what about DVDs that are PAL (25.00 fps)
obviously if the original framerate is 23.976 and they choose to do 25.00 over
29.97 its not the same cadence for duplicate frames.

to date I am just leaving them at 25, and De-interlacing them....(if needed)
but i didnt know if there was a decimate command for that blended frame that has
to be in there somewhere
Gregg R 4:38 PM - 12 August, 2010
from my understanding, once it goes to PAL, it's fuct..............

just deinterlace and encode.......
DJ-Phat-AL 5:35 PM - 12 August, 2010
Quote:

just deinterlace and encode.......

that's been my experience too...
nik39 5:38 PM - 12 August, 2010
Quote:

... totally fuct.

I still don't understand why companies like ... do not at least properly IVTC before they change to PAL 25fps. These clips look horrrible.
djpuma_gemini 6:47 PM - 12 August, 2010
I think for pal videos, they just speed up the frame rate and don't add any dupe frames. I doubt you can just changed the output to 23.976 and render that way. I have done that to a select few of my edits and they seem to look ok.
djpuma_gemini 6:47 PM - 12 August, 2010
It's best to just leave as is. There aren't any extra frames, so you are fine in that sense.
nik39 7:54 PM - 12 August, 2010
Quote:
I think for pal videos, they just speed up the frame rate and don't add any dupe frames. I doubt you can just changed the output to 23.976 and render that way. I have done that to a select few of my edits and they seem to look ok.

They take the TC'ed video at 29.97 and adjust the frame rate to 25.00. Nasty.
djpuma_gemini 8:09 PM - 12 August, 2010
oh, nevermind. I thought they would have taken the raw file and just sped it up a bit.
nik39 8:13 PM - 12 August, 2010
I have seen pretty bad, bad encodes. *shudder*
Joshua Carl 9:18 PM - 12 August, 2010
you have to wonder, if part of the motivation to do pal25 over ntsc29.97 in a
video pool is SO PEOPLE WONT dvd rip the content and clean it up to its original
format?
nik39 9:21 PM - 12 August, 2010
Even if you play it back as it supposed to be played - it looks horrible. For us.

You know.. there are DJ's who spin with youtube audio and video files ;)
Joshua Carl 9:43 PM - 12 August, 2010
Quote:
Even if you play it back as it supposed to be played - it looks horrible. For us.

You know.. there are DJ's who spin with youtube audio and video files ;)

the few other guys round here who tried doing video when it first popped off where that...it made it hard for me at first to sell the concept to newer places.
they had seen these guys playing horrific files...and more importantly playing them
like amatures... so I had alot of pre-conceived walls to kick down
DJ Brett B 8:27 AM - 13 August, 2010
Yeah, problem with PAL stuff is that in order to get it from NTSC to PAL (unless it was actually shot in PAL), they blend the frames. Then when we go to play the video in Video SL (or whatever we decide to use), unless we're playing at 0.00% pitch, there is additional blending going on. Just looks nasty.

I have actually seen a plugin that claims to be able to extract the original 23.976 from PAL converted stuff with a special algorithm. I saw an example once and it actually was impressive. But not impressive enough for me to bother downloading it, and thus, I forgot the name unfortunately :( If I think of it., I'll be sure to post it here. It was just a pretty simple Avisynth plugin.
DJMark 11:50 PM - 15 August, 2010
It was mentioned by someone else a few months ago, but got no other discussion: Telestream's "Episode Encoder" seems to be the only Mac software capable of doing proper IVTC.

Unfortunately, this software has several points against it:

1) it's $500 for the base version;

2) that "base" version has an arbitrary batch-encoding limit of 25 files (though that limit is supposed to be removed in a new "version 6" that's supposedly coming soon);

3) not the most stable software I've seen (it crashes rather effortlessly when doing mundane things like saving a preset, or skipping around in a preview-window);

4) It occasionally does weird fuck-ups. Like for example today I'm trying to re-encode all the videos from a Cure DVD. The audio tracks on that DVD are definitely stereo (my earlier Handbrake encodes from the same DVD came out in stereo just fine), but Episode is rendering all of them in a weird comb-filtered-sounding mono for no apparent reason. And "Boys Don't Cry" encodes with the audio about 1 second out of sync.

But it has the following advantages:

1) It almost always does an excellent job IVTC-ing videos that can benefit from that, even on videos with broken cadences. *Very* occasionally an interlaced frame or two will show up in a video, but I'd say 95+ percent come out perfect. For the occasional video that doesn't come out perfect, I just add deinterlacing to the process list.

2) For videos that require deinterlacing, Episode seems to do a better quality job than most encoders.

3) Has a lot of nice and useful video-processing functions and preview functionality for that.

4) Has capability for normalizing audio (very convenient for the many DVD's where the audio is fine, but at a very low level) and basic EQ capability.

5) Capable of encoding to ProRes and other formats so videos can be IVTC'ed and/or processed before editing;

6) Encodes fast, and creates very nice-looking h.264 MP4 files that play well.
nik39 12:50 AM - 19 August, 2010
Quote:
3. Decimate.

Let me try to answer my question partly:
You don't need to adjust the timeposition for each frame because you are using a CFR, therefore all frames will be equally distanced.

Now when you are using VFR things might get more tricky... I haven't found it out yet.
nik39 10:38 PM - 24 August, 2010
Quote:
Now, there have been a couple of last-minute emergency situations where I needed to rip and encode something quickly before a gig, and Handbrake did the job for the most part. Unfortunately, yes, I could only get 640x368 and every once in a while the IVTC cadence gets messed up, which Handbrake does NOT handle well (believe me.. ugh).

Brett,

do you have samples where handbrake fails?
Joshua Carl 4:54 PM - 9 September, 2010
Can I just say how much I hate 25fps interlaced material.
djpuma_gemini 4:55 PM - 9 September, 2010
Just deinterlace.

I leave them at 25fps, not sure of an easy way to convert them to 24
Joshua Carl 5:07 PM - 9 September, 2010
doesent mean i HAVE TO LIKE IT!
djpuma_gemini 5:08 PM - 9 September, 2010
Haha true.

telecide() is my new friend.
DJ Brett B 12:47 AM - 12 September, 2010
Quote:
Haha true.

telecide() is my new friend.

Yeah buddy! It's a little more sensitive, but the results can be stunning.
djpuma_gemini 6:07 PM - 12 September, 2010
yeah it is sensitive and I've not used it on some edits because the result looked worse than tdeint.
djpuma_gemini 6:08 PM - 12 September, 2010
I can't get all of this to work in win7 though. Sucks. I am this close to deleting my xp partition, but I can't ivtc in win 7 yet, keeps getting an error in vdub
DJ Brett B 12:44 AM - 13 September, 2010
Quote:
I can't get all of this to work in win7 though. Sucks. I am this close to deleting my xp partition, but I can't ivtc in win 7 yet, keeps getting an error in vdub

Really? I'm doing all my work in Win7 x64 with no problems. Can you tell me the specific error you're getting?
djpuma_gemini 3:11 AM - 13 September, 2010
I'll fire up vdub tomorrow and post back.

one thing I hate, but I think this is a windows thing an you can turn it off, is that I can't drop any files on anything. I have to choose file, import, or whatever.
DJ Brett B 3:45 AM - 13 September, 2010
Hmm.. definitely a weird issue going on with that. I drag and drop .avs files into VDub, Vegas, and Premiere all the time.
Culprit 6:12 AM - 13 September, 2010
me too, no problems with win7 x64
Dj Nyce 12:43 PM - 13 September, 2010
yeah i'm using winy x64 and vdub no problems. if ur using a 64 bit version of vdub, try with 32.
djpuma_gemini 4:46 PM - 13 September, 2010
I'll have to see.

I'm def using win7 64bit.

I've noticed there are problems when running parallels and having parallels tools installed. Vegas would pretty much lock up and I have to delete parallels tools.

I don't run win7 underparallels anymore and now vegas doesn't freeze
Culprit 6:03 PM - 13 September, 2010
good. I still have a semi freezing problem when loading up audio engine on startup, but my research says it has something to do with internet explorer.
djpuma_gemini 6:11 PM - 13 September, 2010
I might have to reinstall (at work as well) parallels fubars up win7 when running in bootcamp.

The render times seem about the same if not slower in win7 64 vs xp.
Joshua Carl 8:01 PM - 13 September, 2010
So, whats the ballot on stuff that comes in raw @ 100fps?

if you kick it back out at 100fps is that going to overwork VSL?
DJ Brett B 8:42 PM - 13 September, 2010
100fps? Wow.. only thing I can think of is 3D PAL broadcast transmissions.. haha

Yeah, VSL still can't handle my 60fps encodes smoothly, so I'd say 100fps is definitely a no-go.
djpuma_gemini 8:50 PM - 13 September, 2010
100fps. Where you getting your shit Joshua. Marty in the Delorean
Joshua Carl 8:58 PM - 13 September, 2010
hahaha...I know...
When I dropped into vegas...I was like WTF?

I thought 100 was used for SLOMO...

mind U, it looks soooooo good.
I guess Ill render it at 33.33
hopefully it will remove 1/3rd the frames
rather than 25, where it would do 1/4

I hate changing the framerate though.
nik39 9:14 PM - 13 September, 2010
As long as you end up with an even number you should be fine. I'd go with 1/4.
djpuma_gemini 2:22 AM - 14 September, 2010
The win 7 UAC was causing the drag drop error. (Fixed)

Vdub error

AVI Import Filter error: (Unknown) (80040154)

It's 64bit, I'll try 32
DJ Brett B 3:34 AM - 15 September, 2010
Oh, you're using 64-bit vdub? Yeah, that would do it. I use 32-bit everything, except for the final editing step (Premiere).
djpuma_gemini 4:37 AM - 15 September, 2010
yeah 32 bit worked.
Millz 3:46 AM - 29 November, 2010
So there is no method of ivtc for 25fps files?
djpuma_gemini 8:14 PM - 29 November, 2010
I was researching this too and it seems like there are some avisynth scripts to do this, but not sure how though.

I've been leaving them at 25fps
DJ Brett B 12:07 AM - 3 December, 2010
Well, if it was originally shot in PAL, then 25fps is the original rate and it would not require any IVTC.

Unfortunately for videos shot at Film (23.976) and then later converted to PAL, that's pretty much impossible. In certain cases, if the video was converted just right, the avisynth plugin Restore24 can attempt to extract the original 23.976, but I've never figured out how to make it work.
Gregg R 12:28 AM - 3 December, 2010
i've noticed material converted to 25 from 23 isnt horrible, but 23 to 29 then to 25........ehhhhhh
djpuma_gemini 4:09 AM - 3 December, 2010
That's why I leave em at 25fps.
Joshua Carl 5:11 PM - 3 December, 2010
Quote:
That's why I leave em at 25fps.

yeah, "point of diminishing returns"....ya know, that whole theory
djpuma_gemini 5:54 PM - 3 December, 2010
yup.

I've gotten tracks from pools that are 25fps as well, especially stuff that is not shot out here.

Doesn't effect my vjing, nor does it look shitty when I render to 29.97 with ME after recording the set.
DJ-Phat-AL 3:46 AM - 15 December, 2010
question...

if one was to use the IVTC method using VirtualDub and wanted to use the uncompressed AVI file to edit in Final Cut Pro... what codec should we use? I am experimenting now with FCP and want to still use VirtualDub, etc to prepare my source files. I know that FCP is best used with ProRes MOV files but you can't export in that codec on a windows based computer.

any suggestions?
D-Twizzle 5:58 AM - 15 December, 2010
convert your uncompressed avi to prores in quicktime on your mac.
djpuma_gemini 3:46 PM - 15 December, 2010
I thought about that. I just wonder how much quality is lost from an uncompressed avi to prores (HQ)

It's probably minimal, but there has to be some generation lost.
djpuma_gemini 3:47 PM - 15 December, 2010
What I hate is having a telecined mov file and have to convert to vob to then ivtc in vdub.

Has to be a way around this.
D-Twizzle 5:43 PM - 15 December, 2010
Quote:
I thought about that. I just wonder how much quality is lost from an uncompressed avi to prores (HQ)

It's probably minimal, but there has to be some generation lost.

in theory, it should be the same loss as going from vob to prores. it's minimal and people do it all the time.
djpuma_gemini 6:22 PM - 15 December, 2010
Sorry meant generation loss, not lost.

haha.

True.

I've actually done that too.
Joshua Carl 8:20 PM - 15 December, 2010
Quote:
What I hate is having a telecined mov file and have to convert to vob to then ivtc in vdub.

Has to be a way around this.

a 29.97 interlaced MOV file makes no sense to me.
when I see them, Im utterly confused. is their any medium that prefers this??
djpuma_gemini 8:42 PM - 15 December, 2010
Not sure. That happened with my rihanna edit I just did, so I had to ivtc and get it proper.

Damn this thread makes my edits take longer now.
Joshua Carl 8:53 PM - 15 December, 2010
so, going 29.97 Interlaced MOV to 29.97 Interlaced VOB
then IVTC'ing to a 23.976 uncompressed AVI.

all that movment...are we seeing any generation loss.
I was putting the 29.97Mov in vegas and using that AVI-Uncompressed ivtc setting

true you do get some mild ghosting...very mild.
but for something Im not going to sell, just a quick edit for me, or friends I just
do it that way.
djpuma_gemini 9:12 PM - 15 December, 2010
Check my riri edit and compare it to another riri edit
djpuma_gemini 9:13 PM - 15 December, 2010
disable resampling is awesome though. I hate when I forget to do that in vegas and render a video
djpuma_gemini 9:13 PM - 15 December, 2010
Quote:
so, going 29.97 Interlaced MOV to 29.97 Interlaced VOB
then IVTC'ing to a 23.976 uncompressed AVI.

all that movment...are we seeing any generation loss.
I was putting the 29.97Mov in vegas and using that AVI-Uncompressed ivtc setting

Unless there is a way to get vdub to work a mov file
djpuma_gemini 9:14 PM - 15 December, 2010
I figure the generation loss is a push compared to just deinterlacing and leaving the file at 29.9.
nik39 9:18 PM - 15 December, 2010
Can you guys break down the workflow for me? Cause I don't understand which problems you are having.
djpuma_gemini 9:27 PM - 15 December, 2010
working on a pc with sony vegas as editing platform.

Get a mov file that is 29.97fps interlaced.

Can't use avisynth to load said mov into vdub to decimate frames.

Convert mov to vob, then ivtc said vob into a 23.976fps uncompressed avi and edit in vegas.

Would like to take interlaced mov file and ivtc to 23.976fps in one step
djpuma_gemini 9:27 PM - 15 December, 2010
Check mate tech mate
nik39 9:30 PM - 15 December, 2010
Quote:
Can't use avisynth to load said mov into vdub to decimate frames.

Are you sure there is no plugin to load .mov into vdub? I think I saw one recently...
D-Twizzle 9:34 PM - 15 December, 2010
you have to be more specific when you say you're working with a .mov file because a quicktime .mov file can be a dv, prores, mp4 or uncompressed, etc file.
djpuma_gemini 9:49 PM - 15 December, 2010
I'll have to check what it is, but I've seen mp4's like that too.

@nik, I never thought to look for a mov plugin.
Culprit 10:59 PM - 15 December, 2010
example - RawSource("d:\yuv.mov", 720, 576, "UYVY", index="0:192512 1:1021952 25:21120512 50:42048512 75:62976512")

Taken from avisynth.org
Culprit 11:00 PM - 15 December, 2010
RawSource - raw formats with/without header:
The external plugin RawSource supports all kinds of raw video files with the YUV4MPEG2 header and without header (video files which contains YUV2, YV16, YV12, RGB or Y8 video data).
djpuma_gemini 11:16 PM - 15 December, 2010
ok, but how can I load a mov file into megui
djpuma_gemini 11:16 PM - 15 December, 2010
sorry I meant dgindex
Dj Nyce 1:50 AM - 16 December, 2010
Quote:
sorry I meant dgindex

DGIndex can decode MPEG1/2 streams (elementary streams, program streams, VOBs, VCDs, SVCDs, PVA files, and transport streams).

although the mov file spec supports mpeg1, i highly doubt your file is mpeg1. try opening it up in gspot. if its not mepg1 then you will not be able to index it.

even though it's not indexed it can still be processed via avisynth.

DirectShowSource("filename.mov")

or

# YUY2 (default):
QTInput("filename.mov", color=2)

# with audio
QTInput("filename.mov", color=2, audio=true)
Dj Nyce 1:56 AM - 16 December, 2010
here's the usage guide for QTInput aka QTSource

forum.doom9.org
djpuma_gemini 3:27 AM - 16 December, 2010
THanks NYce
DJMark 5:09 AM - 19 January, 2011
This really should be a "sticky" thread.

until then, *bump*
Joshua Carl 11:25 PM - 16 April, 2011
I havent made the transition to Final Cut yet.

but in my efforts I grabbed these 2 books on sale at a borders closing for $30
a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net

chapter 5: Removing Pulldown frames with Cinema Tools
it says its the primary function of the program.

it seems a lil more difficult (or should I say not so easy) as the script method.
you have to go in and Identify the a frame, and a few other things.

Im gonna look more into it, but i figured someone here might have already gone down this road:
carter 12:31 AM - 17 April, 2011
Quote:

Czar posted this up a while back. I toyed around with Cinema Tools but couldn't figure the damn thing out. If you can get good results I'd give it another shot and test it out with you.
djpuma_gemini 1:03 AM - 17 April, 2011
Quote:
I havent made the transition to Final Cut yet.

but in my efforts I grabbed these 2 books on sale at a borders closing for $30
a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net

chapter 5: Removing Pulldown frames with Cinema Tools
it says its the primary function of the program.

it seems a lil more difficult (or should I say not so easy) as the script method.
you have to go in and Identify the a frame, and a few other things.

Im gonna look more into it, but i figured someone here might have already gone down this road:

Was the author a duo from the 92 dream team?
Res-Q 5:31 AM - 17 April, 2011
^^^No, it's an alias for Michael Bird
djpuma_gemini 10:13 AM - 17 April, 2011
haha
Culprit 8:02 PM - 17 April, 2011
lmao
DJ DisGrace 3:14 AM - 21 April, 2011
just reformatted my editing machine and having trouble getting my script to load....

here is my script:

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DGDecode.dll")
LoadCPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\yadif17\yadif.dll")
mpeg2Source("1.d2v")
TDeint()
Decimate(5)
Crop(12,0,-12,-0)
Lanczos4Resize(640,480)
Crop(0,60,-0,-60)
ConvertToRGB()

this worked fine before but now I get an error about the yadif.dll script, saying it's "Not an Avisynth 2 C Plugin"

any ideas?
Dj Nyce 2:46 PM - 21 April, 2011
lline 2: LoadCPlugin

LoadCPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\yadif17\yadif.dll")

should be

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\yadif17\yadif.dll")

also if the plugin is in the avisynth plugin directory, you need the LoadPlugin line. this is only used when the plugin is somewhere else. another thing TDeint is a different filter than yadif. but if you really wanted to use yadif, the syntax is: Yadif (clip, int "mode", int "order", bool "planar", int "opt")
DJ DisGrace 2:59 PM - 21 April, 2011
Thanks Nyce. Will give it a shot tonight.

Got the basic script from Brett B's tutorial. I'm a little unsure to why I need yadif loaded when I actually use the TDeint plugin.

I get through the scripts, and have some great results, but can't say I really understand everything enough to experiment and try different plugins and syntaxes.... Google has saved me many times when IVTC'ng!
djpuma_gemini 3:13 PM - 21 April, 2011
try this one telecide ()
DJ DisGrace 3:21 PM - 21 April, 2011
Quote:
try this one telecide ()

Will do. thx
Joshua Carl 7:33 PM - 21 April, 2011
Is there a way to write in a start/stop time to grab just a clip.
example, If Im going to do a Movie clip from a dvd rip
and I dont want to ivtc the entire movie, and end up with a 300gb file.

thus far Ive been chopping it down, and using vegas to ivtc but I still get some ghosting
even with the vegas ivtc process (its not ideal)
djpuma_gemini 8:04 PM - 21 April, 2011
you can just chop out the clip from the dvd as a vob and drop that into avisynth, but not sure about setting in and outs in avisynth, (maybe in vdub)
DJ DisGrace 8:25 PM - 21 April, 2011
I just grab individual VOB chapters with DVD decryptor if doing a movie edit... still big files, but better than the whole movie.

would mpegstreamclip be able to grab a clip from a vob file?
Dj Nyce 8:51 PM - 21 April, 2011
you can set in/out in an avi script.

Trim(Start Frame, End Frame)

Example
# Chop off the first 120 frames (0 to 119), and keep the frames 120-150
# (AviSynth starts numbering frames from 0)
Trim(120,150)
carter 9:36 PM - 21 April, 2011
Quote:
I just grab individual VOB chapters with DVD decryptor if doing a movie edit... still big files, but better than the whole movie.

would mpegstreamclip be able to grab a clip from a vob file?

Yes. In MPEG you can set in and out points (keyboard shortcut i and o) and then trim (shortcut command+t). You'd still need to export.
Joshua Carl 10:24 PM - 21 April, 2011
cool

I wasnt sure if changing the start/stop points would mess up the cadence that which frames get Decimated.

I think thats the issue with Vegas's preset.
because it decimates frames...but its not always the right ones.
djpuma_gemini 10:41 PM - 21 April, 2011
^same with Sorenson squeeze, it can ivtc some, but not all videos
DJ DisGrace 7:32 PM - 24 April, 2011
for this one video I'm working on, my Decimate(5) seems to be taking out the wrong frame (i.e. it should be taking out frame 5, but it is removing frame 4 instead) so my 4th frame is very pixelated.

Have tried to shift the reading frame by using the Trim() to remove a few frames at the start, but doesn't seem to work... any ideas?
DJ DisGrace 7:53 PM - 24 April, 2011
got it...

Decimate(mode=1, cycle=5)

switching from mode=0 to mode=1 changes from upper to lower field first
djpuma_gemini 9:08 PM - 24 April, 2011
^I'll try that.

I haven't had any vids that needed that yet, but I'm sure I'll run into it.
DJ DisGrace 1:58 PM - 25 April, 2011
Quote:
got it...

Decimate(mode=1, cycle=5)

switching from mode=0 to mode=1 changes from upper to lower field first

Quote:
^I'll try that.

I haven't had any vids that needed that yet, but I'm sure I'll run into it.

It was better, but still not great. So I found another VOB that looked much better at every 5th frame, even though both VOBs were from the same music video service's disc/compilation. It seems that different ripping platforms can produce different results.
djpuma_gemini 2:52 PM - 25 April, 2011
I was just redoing kirss kross - Jump and that video seems messed up. Not sure if it was me, the source or what, but it's a tagless 29.9 vob and it seems like every 2 or 3 frames theres a dupe, but it might not be.
DJ DisGrace 2:56 PM - 25 April, 2011
Did a quick edit for Rihanna/Drake - What's my Name last night... It's a PO file.

Decimate(5) seems to work for all the scenes expect some of the solo Rihanna ones. In those scenes I get Frame-Frame-Frame-Dup after Decimate(5).

I checked and checked, and it is fine everywhere except those particular scenes. Seems like more than a cadence issue, but the way the video was cut/edited.

We should start a new thread - "Videos with screwed up frames"
djpuma_gemini 3:11 PM - 25 April, 2011
I hate videos with home cam footage or some other footage where there might not be a dupe frame, or a diff cadence.
Culprit 5:31 PM - 25 April, 2011
in those solo scenes is there some slow motion going on? if so thats normal
djpuma_gemini 4:42 AM - 21 July, 2011
Bump
dj lad 9:23 AM - 21 July, 2011
PUMPS AND A BUMP
moneybee 8:55 PM - 21 July, 2011
how do i create the AviSynth script?
DJ DisGrace 2:17 AM - 22 July, 2011
Quote:

you need to actually watch the video in the first post before asking these kinds of questions....
DJ Brett B 5:29 AM - 22 July, 2011
Glad to see this thing is still alive! Haha
moneybee 9:39 AM - 22 July, 2011
i get a Avisynth script error that say:

I don't know what "left" means

i just like to know what i doing wrong here...thanks for the help
moneybee 10:03 AM - 22 July, 2011
Quote:
i get a Avisynth script error that say:

I don't know what "left" means

i just like to know what i doing wrong here...thanks for the help

fix the problem
moneybee 10:07 AM - 22 July, 2011
ok now i get a Avisynth script error that say:

Script Error: there is no function named "Decimate"

can someone tell me what i"m doing here,
moneybee 10:08 AM - 22 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

you need to actually watch the video in the first post before asking these kinds of questions....

thanks for the help got the script to work!
djpuma_gemini 12:50 PM - 22 July, 2011
load plugin decimate.

loook for a sample script in the post from about march of 2010
DJ DisGrace 2:08 PM - 22 July, 2011
Quote:

make sure you have the decimate .dll file in the proper directory. Sometimes just restarting your MeGUI will download all the basic library files if they didn't install the first time
moneybee 6:13 PM - 22 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

make sure you have the decimate .dll file in the proper directory. Sometimes just restarting your MeGUI will download all the basic library files if they didn't install the first time

ok, where should decimate .dll be found in the directory.....
moneybee 6:26 PM - 22 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

ok, where should decimate .dll be found in the directory.....

coo, fix the problem.....
moneybee 6:31 PM - 22 July, 2011
would be a a good encode settings to render out....cause my Megui doesn't have the encode settings that dj bett b which is: x264: SD MV.....thanks
DJ DisGrace 6:39 PM - 22 July, 2011
Quote:
would be a a good encode settings to render out....cause my Megui doesn't have the encode settings that dj bett b which is: x264: SD MV.....thanks

The settings should be there, among many others. Try updating your MeGUI
moneybee 7:10 PM - 22 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

The settings should be there, among many others. Try updating your MeGUI

ok, i update MeGui, and I'm still not seeing x264: SD MV....the version i have is MeGui 2028 (svn)....
moneybee 8:04 PM - 22 July, 2011
Quote:
Well, when I edit in Vegas, I always do something similar to this process first, except instead of encoding with MeGUI, I create an uncompressed AVI with VirtualDub (just load the .avs into VirtualDub and then save the uncompressed AVI).

Then, I edit with that file in Vegas, and then render, again, an uncompressed AVI out of Vegas. After that, I create an .avs script that looks like this:

DirectShowSource("vegasproject.avi")
ConvertToYV12()

Then load that .avs into MeGUI and encode as normal. This way, you're only going through one
encoding stage.

Hope that helps!

can i also bring it into sony vegas after it be encode from MeGui first?
djpuma_gemini 3:14 AM - 28 December, 2011
Bump.

If I render out to YV12 from avisynth the avi won't load into vegas, not sure if it's a codec issue or if vegas doesn't work in YV12
Dj Nyce 4:48 AM - 28 December, 2011
vegas supports various chroma subsampling such as 4:2:0 (YV12) and 4:2:2 (YUY2). i'm not sure why it won't load. i can capture 4:4:4 uncompressed (or cineform) avi via Dual Link HD-SDI and the file plays in avisynth/virtualdub, premiere pro and vegas.

but the only reason to go to YV12 would be if your destination is a high end video format such as DVCPRO HD, XDCam, ProRes or CineForm.

if you want to edit with vegas you should export to rgb first, export from vegas, then export to yv12.
djpuma_gemini 5:00 AM - 28 December, 2011
well it's my vob to avi conversion. Was always using convert to RGB() but tried convert to YV12() and it won't work (avisynth)

I figured my vob is not an RGB file, unless it's a YUY2
djpuma_gemini 5:01 AM - 28 December, 2011
I think I was confused and should have been trying YUY2 vs YV12
Dj Nyce 5:41 AM - 28 December, 2011
DVD (mpeg 2) and MPeg 4 use YV12 colorspace.

If you are going from vob->mp4 without any editing you should export to YV12. Which is the destination colorspace.

If you are going to edit before going to mp4 you should export to RGB (NLE colorspace), export from vegas uncompressed, export to YV12 then to MP4.
djpuma_gemini 5:59 AM - 28 December, 2011
gotcha, thanks
ta2423 7:15 PM - 28 December, 2011
Trying to keep up with this and store it in my brain... Next "rocket science"
djpuma_gemini 7:18 PM - 28 December, 2011
Now if someone could tell me a good decombing filter or something to use when you remove those dupe frames to keep those jagged little lines out of certain video files.

I'll try and post a screen shot of what I mean during lunch.
dj720 2:52 PM - 15 January, 2012
ok so my question after watching the tutorial and making an attempt to read the old posts, Im trying to edit in FCP 7 and would like to use a file other than mp4. Is there a way to make an uncompressed file from MeGUI and then use MPEG Streamclip to create the .mov or should I just suck it up and edit the mp4 file instead?
DJPNUT 4:50 PM - 15 January, 2012
Quote:
Now if someone could tell me a good decombing filter or something to use when you remove those dupe frames to keep those jagged little lines out of certain video files.

I'll try and post a screen shot of what I mean during lunch.

Thats a long lunch.... :)
djpuma_gemini 6:28 PM - 15 January, 2012
haha
DJ Brett B 8:04 PM - 17 January, 2012
Puma, I think I know what you're talking about. I still get weird combing artifacts using TFM on some videos, usually if the different scenes are crossfaded. It depends on whether the video was edited in a 24p environment or 60i. Most older ones were edited in 60i, and when the scenes fade, the cadence gets broken. I don't know of a way to get around this, other than some very heavy manual editing.
djpuma_gemini 9:22 PM - 17 January, 2012
Yeah the video off the top of my head is the YYT - Salt Shaker edit I did, that video looks all jagged and as G-Force called it "stairstepping" which sounds more in line with what it looks like.

Damn crappy videos.
DJ SERGIO 5:50 AM - 5 February, 2012
Damn, Ive been at this (video mixing) for about 3 yrs of my 26 yr career and had no clue as to needing to learn this process, I feel like I've been wasting my time for three years not being as good as I can be. Thanks for the tutorial.

I use FCP 7, what do you guy suggest I use for edting? Vegas, Premier or continue with FCP 7? I have all three, just using what I "know", but never too late to use something that will make my work easier and faster as I do have a regular full time job and I spin 5 nights a week.
DJ-Phat-AL 1:40 PM - 5 February, 2012
Personally.... I use Premiere Pro for a lot of reasons... cross-platform compatible (PC or MAC) ... works well with all the Adobe apps like After Effects, Photoshop, etc... You can batch export all your projects.... you can preview everything in real-time alot smoother than Vegas Pro for accurate editing without having to pre-render anything... you can have multiple versions of a project (ie. clean, dirty, quickmix, extended, etc) all in ONE project unlike Vegas Pro where every version is a separate project file..

I could go on...

It is just better...
phatbob 2:25 PM - 5 February, 2012
Yeah DJ SERGIO, it sucks that when I think I've got an aspect of video nailed, and then I find out something new that makes me realise I've been doing it wrong!

I've got hundreds of older videos that I look at now and think, I can't play them, they're all wrong!
tomatoslice 3:53 PM - 5 February, 2012
Phat-Al,
how is the workflow in Premeire? how intuitive is it? is it easy to figure out in other words?

i like vegas because it is just so simple, basic, and easy to use.
it's not like ableton which you HAVE to watch/read a tutorial to figure out, same with fcp imo.
tomatoslice 4:02 PM - 5 February, 2012
Quote:
I've got hundreds of older videos that I look at now and think, I can't play them, they're all wrong!

your audience probably won't notice.

it's great that people are trying to get the best out of their video. but it's also annoying how some people can be "video police" like that's all that matters.
it's funny how people strive to have the best video production and it's great that this forum is setting the standard for Vjs but kills me that no one has bothered to focus on something that widely varies but should be just as important. audio.
the quality of audio i get is so varied. hell, there is not even a consistent bit rate.
some sites and people send me things that are all over the board.

i thought audio was first?
Joshua Carl 4:32 PM - 5 February, 2012
Al, I think u got Vegas and FCp mixed up in the rendering.... FCp requires the rendering . Vegas u do it once in the end.
Everything is real time in Vegas.

I wanted to get into premiere, I really like the idea of entire editing suite under one program. I use photoshop alot, then dump that into Vegas.
DJ-Phat-AL 5:05 PM - 5 February, 2012
Actually... I wasn't thinking of FCP... in Vegas... if you run several effects, or have HD content, or several video layers... or whatever... the playback for previewing... sucks! You HAVE to adjust it to draft sometimes to even see if it is spot on when you checking lip sync.... the only way to TRULY see if it looks good (especially when applying effects) is to PRE-RENDER that area.... In Premiere Pro... it is all realtime and doesn't require any of that... AND it just feels more solid when editing...

jus sayin....

I have a ton of other reasons why it blows FCP and Vegas Pro away...
Maybe if I was invited as a guest speaker on this years VDJ Conference I could get in great detail... *nudge nudge *
Knappy had like 5 minutes of stage time while you and the others covered FCP and Vegas with more to say...

@ Attack of the Killer Tomato Slices!
Call me and I will talk to you about how much easier it is to edit in Premiere over Vegas...
DJ-Phat-AL 5:05 PM - 5 February, 2012
^^ but don't call me right now... about to pass out...
long night...
Karl W 5:29 PM - 5 February, 2012
Quote:
Actually... I wasn't thinking of FCP... in Vegas... if you run several effects, or have HD content, or several video layers... or whatever... the playback for previewing... sucks! You HAVE to adjust it to draft sometimes to even see if it is spot on when you checking lip sync.... the only way to TRULY see if it looks good (especially when applying effects) is to PRE-RENDER that area.... In Premiere Pro... it is all realtime and doesn't require any of that... AND it just feels more solid when editing...

jus sayin....

I have a ton of other reasons why it blows FCP and Vegas Pro away...
Maybe if I was invited as a guest speaker on this years VDJ Conference I could get in great detail... *nudge nudge *
Knappy had like 5 minutes of stage time while you and the others covered FCP and Vegas with more to say...
+1
Like killer tomatoe slice im keen to see your work flow Phat-Al :)

I was just thinking gee, woulnt it be nice to have a how 2 guide for whatever app FCP, Avid, Vegas, AE in doing just the basic of things like making a 640 by 480 into a 720 version with burred boarders...
Or Uprez ing a file, De-noising it, making it look better than what it was:)
:)
Dj Nyce 8:11 PM - 5 February, 2012
Premiere Pro is the best NLE out there. efficient workflow, real-time editing, nested timelines, Red R3D/cineform and other codec support, best plugins, integration with After Effects, etc.

i'll choose Premiere Pro over Avid and iMovie Pro, pardon i mean FCP X, any day.
DJ-Phat-AL 12:25 AM - 6 February, 2012
Quote:
iMovie Pro, pardon i mean FCP X, any day.

HA!

Yeah.... Apple screwed up on that one!
DJ SERGIO 9:40 AM - 21 February, 2012
Okay gents, thank you for the feedback on editing software; just so happens that I participated in a DJ showcase this weekend and one of the customers asked me if I could take the time to teach him how to DJ...I get this alot with no follow up. This kid however, said to me that he did not want to learn how to DJ using any midi controller, he wanted to use vinyl. My eyes opened wide because he was serious about learning the old school way and is not in a hurry to be a DJ nor did he want to even be considered a DJ until he felt he has earned the right to be called one, after talking to him for a bit, found out the kid is a professional video editor for some advertising firm (light bulb lights up right about now). He talked me into using Premier Pro from now on and in exchange for teaching him how to dj, I get to learn everything about Adobe Creative suite. WIN-WIN!!
djpuma_gemini 3:32 PM - 21 February, 2012
score!
Culprit 7:37 PM - 21 February, 2012
nice!
DJMisterE 8:45 AM - 26 April, 2012
Love that this thread has been active for 2 years!
djpuma_gemini 3:48 PM - 26 April, 2012
It needs to be resurrected.
Karl W 6:17 PM - 26 April, 2012
Yup!
popnwave 10:20 PM - 26 April, 2012
Wish you could edit posts... a lot of the info is spread sooo far throughout this thing. It's hard to process it all.
djpuma_gemini 10:57 PM - 26 April, 2012
copy, paste, post to new thread.
DJ Brett B 11:31 AM - 30 April, 2012
And thank you to everyone who has participated in the discussion! I've learned quite a bit myself :)
DJRemixEnt 11:34 AM - 30 April, 2012
Quote:
And thank you to everyone who has participated in the discussion! I've learned quite a bit myself :)

+1
dj720 11:45 AM - 30 April, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

+1

+1 also
djpuma_gemini 2:39 PM - 27 June, 2012
Just bumping this thread for anyone else who needs to learn this.
e.rich 9:33 PM - 14 July, 2012
yeah, this thing is still kicking my ass. i'm trying to take a VOB, do the deinterlace/decimate/crop etc and export uncompressed so that I can take it into Premiere Pro to make an edit. I keep getting a "mkvout" error in MeGui and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. i'm assuming i'm just doing something wrong with the script. here's what i'm using.

LoadPlugin("C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\IVTC programs\DGDecode.dll")
MPEG2Source("C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\jay z dirt shoulder edit\jay edit.d2v")
TDeint()
TDecimate(5)
Crop(10,10,-10,-10)
BicubicResize(640,480)
Crop(0,60,-0,-60)
ConvertToYV12()

any gurus have any suggestions for me?
djpuma_gemini 10:48 PM - 14 July, 2012
not sure of an mkvout error, but stop using tdeint and start using
tfm
it's part of the tivtc plugin

LoadPlugin("C:\Users\puma\Desktop\IVTC\Plugins\TIVTC\TIVTC.dll")
MPEG2Source("Bubba Sparxxx - Heat It Up - 96.d2v")
tfm(d2v="Bubba Sparxxx - Heat It Up - 96.d2v")
#tfm()

should look like that.
djpuma_gemini 10:50 PM - 14 July, 2012
Maybe we should have our own session of this to go over this stuff some time.
(everyone)
popnwave 10:53 PM - 14 July, 2012
GOOGLE HANGOUT!
djpuma_gemini 11:20 PM - 14 July, 2012
^conference hangout
Dj Nyce 5:45 AM - 15 July, 2012
Don't use megui. When going to intermediate avi use virtual dub to save the uncompressed or cine form avi. Once your done in premiere pro save to mp4.

And I'm a big fan of TDEInt. Haven't tried TFM tho.

And also you may want to try LancosResize.
djmattmaticsdet 6:57 PM - 21 July, 2012
So what are all the mac guys using to IVTC their videos?
djpuma_gemini 8:03 PM - 21 July, 2012
Quote:
So what are all the mac guys using to IVTC their videos?

Bootcamp running Windows 7
Culprit 8:19 PM - 21 July, 2012
The last I heard from professor Aswift is that is was either real difficult or impossible to do it efficiently on OSX, and the preferred method was windows.
Joshua Carl 9:05 PM - 21 July, 2012
while Im not knee deep in Premiere.... word is it has this functionality in it.
but dont quote me
Dj Nyce 1:10 AM - 22 July, 2012
You can't properly IVTC in OSX. You need windows. All the best tools for video editing and conversion is on windows.
DJ DisGrace 2:45 AM - 22 July, 2012
Quote:
You can't properly IVTC in OSX. You need windows. All the best tools for video editing and conversion is on windows.

shhhh... don't tell JohnnyM, we finally convinced him to go Mac
djpuma_gemini 10:10 PM - 8 April, 2014
how do you do this?
DJ Brett B 8:02 AM - 27 July, 2014
Quote:
how do you do this?

I dunno, it's way too complicated. Just use Handbrake ;)
WarpNote 10:27 AM - 27 July, 2014
Quote:
how do you do this?

helpx.adobe.com
Culprit 5:43 PM - 27 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
how do you do this?

helpx.adobe.com

Great find!
DJ g-force 1:08 PM - 30 July, 2014
I gave the After Effects method a shot. It can't handle broken cadences so you can only effectively IVTC one scene at a time. - In Red Giant Shooter's Suite there's a plug-in that can do it called Frames. However it's extremely slow and the deinterlacing isn't that great.
djpuma_gemini 6:54 PM - 30 July, 2014
Man, I miss this thread.
VJM 3:58 AM - 10 December, 2015
Hi DJ/Everyone,

Need your help on multiple cadence issue.
I have a APR HQ HD MOV file in 29.970 Interlace format with mix cadence.(2:2:2:4, 3:2, 2:2) I am not sure if original source shot on 23.98 and then converted to 29.970.
File has some fast moving shot along with some graphics content.
I have require to transcode that into APR HQ HD MOV 29.970 Progressive format and also wanted to remove unwanted cadence. (2:2:2:4 and 3:2)

Please let me know if above method works with MOV files and for mix cadence?

Thanks
Vijay
DJ g-force 5:01 AM - 12 December, 2015
Should be possible. The script will need to be different to be able to import a QuickTime file.
Code:E 10:04 PM - 12 December, 2015
I like this think I know a little bit..... After reading that last post I know nothing.
djpuma_gemini 7:08 PM - 21 December, 2015
Just look up cadence and you'll understand.
popnwave 7:59 PM - 21 December, 2015
This conversation makes me so happy when pools go back and release old stuff that was previously only on DVD. I think I've rebought about 50% of my mainstream stuff because of not needing to correct AR or deal with IVTC issues.
DJMark 8:09 PM - 21 December, 2015
Quote:
Need your help on multiple cadence issue.
I have a APR HQ HD MOV file in 29.970 Interlace format with mix cadence.(2:2:2:4, 3:2, 2:2) I am not sure if original source shot on 23.98 and then converted to 29.970.

What you are *probably* seeing is a video that was shot on film, but edited in the "video" domain. On such a video having lots of edits/crossfades, you end up with a lot of cadence changes.

Videos like that with a lot of fast edits and interlaced crossfades (and sometimes other effects involving interlacing) in my experience need a lot of manual editing. Lots of 80's and 90's videos are like that.
www.djjoeluv.net 5:48 PM - 4 February, 2016
Man I miss this thread, just had to come say hi.
djpuma_gemini 8:34 PM - 4 February, 2016
Same here.
Every few months, I'll open up my ivtc programs and try to tweak the settings to get a better output.
I tried doing the upconvert to take an SD to a somewhat upconverted HD source, but gave up on trying the plugins or scripts that I found.
Alex le Gounz 7:19 PM - 21 August, 2016
hi puma

which program you use to edit? just I moved to vegas 13 and I'm a little confused with the settings
djpuma_gemini 8:51 PM - 26 August, 2016
Sony Vegas 13
DJ Sound Technique 4:35 PM - 7 October, 2016
The original video shows that it is private? Would love to have a look!
DJ Sound Technique 9:53 PM - 10 October, 2016
Anyone have a working link to the original video?
popnwave 10:01 PM - 10 October, 2016
Might want to tweet at Brett, I know he's still active on Twitter.
Culprit 5:27 AM - 11 February, 2019
I thought I would pump a life post into this since this tutorial guided me to the righteous path and even got me writing my own scripts.

To anyone who is still ripping dvd's for rare music videos, i recently found a good plugin.

RoboCrop (AutoCrop on Steroids).

avisynth.nl

I don't really resize my videos anymore. I also don't go crazy on the x264 settings, just
--cabac=0 and --bitrate 5000, along with the de-interlacing settings mentioned above
popnwave 9:41 PM - 11 February, 2019
Very nice, yeah as long as the cropping is done well to get rid of black bars on the sides (mostly, I'm ok with letterboxing most of the time) I don't resize stuff since the playback software usually displays it pretty nicely.
Culprit 12:22 AM - 12 February, 2019
Quote:
Very nice, yeah as long as the cropping is done well to get rid of black bars on the sides (mostly, I'm ok with letterboxing most of the time) I don't resize stuff since the playback software usually displays it pretty nicely.

lately on my personal movie dvds ive been just using robocrop + crf 16/17 with killer results. I always use the standard bitrate of 3500 for my music video encodes but i dropped all the clutter since the defaults work out great for me.
Joshua Carl 8:40 AM - 12 February, 2019
I’m still trying to find the PERFECT way to do it on a Mac.
I’ve found some
Close calls.
popnwave 2:06 PM - 12 February, 2019
Quote:
I’m still trying to find the PERFECT way to do it on a Mac.
I’ve found some
Close calls.

I keep a cheap mini form factor i5 for this use only. I do them less and less these days so the horsepower isn't as important as it was 9+ years ago when I was transitioning off of DVD. Plus I will say a few of the video pools have finally provided nice sources for a lot of the mainstream material.
nik39 4:51 PM - 12 February, 2019
...still reading...
Culprit 10:25 PM - 12 February, 2019
its getting harder and harder to find dvd's at a decent price. I have tons of latin stuff that still needs to get ripped. I am ripping at least 12 to 15 music videos a year at most though.
Joshua Carl 12:13 AM - 13 February, 2019
this
imgur.com
DjLaZaRuSrOcKs 8:26 AM - 13 February, 2019
I still make around 300 videos month. All remastered from cd. I get them from labels and my personal dvd and vhs collection. I still go to used CD/DVD stores and find great DVD's all the time. So many people are dumping their physical media, that you can find really good deals. Another great source is buying VHS and DVD's from discogs.com.
I use Adobe Premiere CC to to resync audio, re-edite, and time stretch stuff from vhs. All videos are turned into progressive scan. Most of the video files are around 200-300MB as i like really good quality. I use Handbrake to initially get stuff from DVD's into workable M4V files.
The video pools I belong to are okay for more mainstream stuff, but since most of the music i play is alternative, goth, industrial, electro, britpop, and synthpop, it's very difficult to find on any services.
Joshua Carl 9:17 AM - 13 February, 2019
Quote:
All videos are turned into progressive scan. .

What method are you using to do this?
I’ve only found “officially” that it can be done
Is in After effects.
Adobe says in a few places if you dump a 29.97 Video in a 23.976 it will remove the duplicates.

But it doesn’t when you go frame by frame
DjLaZaRuSrOcKs 9:45 AM - 13 February, 2019
First of all, I always keep the frame rate the same as the source. There is no reason to change it. The DJ software can handle different frame rates no problem. Source is usually 29.97, 30, 25, 24, or 23.976.
In Adobe Premiere I just choose Progressive in the render VIDEO settings tab. Otherwise, it will stay interlaced. Probably the same settings you would use in After Effects.
In Handbrake, I use these settings to make things progressive scan. Again, I keep the frame rate the same as source. >FILTERS TAB
DETELECINE: Off
INTERLACE DETECTION: Default
DEINTERLACE: Decomb PRESET: Default
DENOISE: Off
SHARPEN: Off

These settings give me a perfectly deinterlaced image. I can then use that video in Premiere to remaster the audio or improve the image contrast, colour, and cropping.

If I'm editing a video using different source frame rates, Adobe Premiere will default the frame rate to the first video dropped onto the time line. So if I'm starting with an HD 720 source at 24 frames and drop a SD clip at 30 frames, Premiere will remove extra frames to make it 24. Though you can still change the overall frame rate and de-interlacing in the render settings.

Quote:
Quote:
All videos are turned into progressive scan. .

What method are you using to do this?
I’ve only found “officially” that it can be done
Is in After effects.
Adobe says in a few places if you dump a 29.97 Video in a 23.976 it will remove the duplicates.

But it doesn’t when you go frame by frame
Joshua Carl 5:00 PM - 13 February, 2019
But premiere is not removing the proper frames (sort of the whole point of this thread that had we, as editors hs been referencing for almost a decade) when you do that .

I’ve even talked to Jason Levine about it.
If you scrub through a 29.97 file on a 23:24 sequence/timeline frame by frame there are STILL duplicate frames,
As it stand now, you need a script/software to both identify the 1,2,3,4,5,5, sequence and index them, and then remove that identified frame to get it back to “true” progressive aka film @23.976

I wish brett’s Video still existed.

But here’s another someone did
youtu.be
Joshua Carl 5:14 PM - 13 February, 2019
Here is the official
HOW TO & WHY from Adobe, for AEfor anyone interested:

helpx.adobe.com
Joshua Carl 5:15 PM - 13 February, 2019
It works, for the most part, but I’ve found they whole “guessing” thing a bit unreliable. (Read the link^)

Def not as good as DGIndex
DjLaZaRuSrOcKs 5:18 PM - 13 February, 2019
@Joshua

I've never noticed Premiere removing the incorrect frames. Though I wasn't looking for this issue either. That would be vey poor of Premiere to not be able to recognize and remove the correct frames. Especially 10 years after it was brought up. I'll see if i can find footage at the different frame rates and do some tests.

I'll also look at that link you posted above...
Culprit 6:23 PM - 13 February, 2019
Quote:
@Joshua

I've never noticed Premiere removing the incorrect frames. Though I wasn't looking for this issue either. That would be vey poor of Premiere to not be able to recognize and remove the correct frames. Especially 10 years after it was brought up. I'll see if i can find footage at the different frame rates and do some tests.

I'll also look at that link you posted above...

Hey Lazarus,

Some of us are really deep with the vob editing man, if the extra frame does not bother you that is ok as well you know. At this point in the game there is enough content to hold video dj's over for a good minute.

We had to care back in the day because there was no standard and the content for rare videos was scare, like before xtendamix existed and only smashvidz was encoding the videos correctly. This is why we are so deep into this, and it's only a few of us that really care now, before there were many more.

You can literally just get a smashvission and xtendamix account and they already have the bulk of the work done for you.
djpuma_gemini 4:06 AM - 19 March, 2019
did someone say dupe frames?
IVTC.
Wish there was an easy, automatic way to just drop in a vob at 29.97 and out comes a 23.976 with all the dupes missing.
popnwave 2:41 PM - 19 March, 2019
Anyone know of a decent VOB cutting util that works properly on High Sierra/Mojave? I am hitting lots of roadblocks when I am grabbing stuff off of my older DVDs now that I upgraded. MPEG StreamClip has finally fallen off the back end since I can't find that old MPEG2 plugin I bought from Apple years ago.
Joshua Carl 5:45 AM - 3 April, 2019
Can someone post a current kit of PC Ivtc tools?
(Windows 10)
I grabbed a pc just to accomplish this, but all the links to the tools are gone, or riddled with spam.
(Dropbox or send space)

Jeez, I haven’t done this in a while, I almost forget how.
Culprit 6:42 AM - 3 April, 2019
forum.doom9.org

Start here bro. Download megui latest stable version and let it install avisynth mp4box and x264 encoder.

forum.videohelp.com

Use megui's file indexer, autocrop and all that is pretty accurate. Then go over analyze and let it do it's magic. Preview frame by frame. I want to say it works 75 percent of the time deinterlacing. If you got double frame blends it's harder to decode.

Let us know how it goes, getting setup is always hard but so worth the results.