Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Macbook Pro - Spec Check

Product
Video-SL
Version
Video-SL
Scratch Live
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
djchrishart 3:53 AM - 4 February, 2010
Product: video-sl
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.4
---

I have the following specs on my Macbook Pro and wanted to see what your opinion is for using it for video:

Processor: 2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
Memory: 2GB 677 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
MacOS Version: 10.4.11
Graphics: ATI Radeon X1600
VRAM: 246MB

Note: All of my videos and audio will be stored on an external Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini

Do you think this is okay to use for Audio / Video? I've been using it for audio for quite some time, and now looking to get into video a bit.

Thanks in advance!
djchrishart 3:55 AM - 4 February, 2010
Oh, sorry one more question...

By upgrading the MacOS to the latest, would it do me any advantage over using these current specs? If by keeping this laptop and upgrading the OS, if performance is enhanced and better, then I may do that as well.

Every bit counts, right? :)
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:47 PM - 4 February, 2010
Hello Chrishart,

That computer will run VSL nicely:)
I would download and use the demo prior to buying it to make sure though.

Many people are running Snow Leopard but I would suggest sticking with your current OS... at least for now.
I'm a strong believer in "if its not broken don't try to fix it".
Test it out on your current setup.
My guess is it will run well in which case there won't be a need to update the OS.
djchrishart 12:15 AM - 13 February, 2010
Zack,

Thanks for getting back to me. I did go ahead and purchase the full blown Video-SL today and now have some questions on performance and issues I am seeing.

When I am playing videos in both decks everything is really choppy. Even when I drop it down to just one video on one deck, things seem choppy. When I watch these videos outside of Scratch Live, they aren't choppy. Since you already know my hardware specs, I am going to post my Video-SL settings and see if I am doing something stupid.

Here are my settings:

OUTPUT TAB:
Window Aspect Ratio = 16:9
Media Treatment = Preserve
Quality = Best
Arrangement = Normal (output)
Use Frame Blending = Checked
Use V-Sync = Checked
Anamorphic = Checked

PERFORMANCE TAB:
Graphics Restrictions = No Effects Restricted
Buffer Size = 1.5 GB

CONTROL TAB:
Auto Crossfade Speed = 12 o'clock
Reverse Faders (Crossfader) = Unchecked
Reverse Faders (Upfaders) = Unchecked
Enable Contouring = Checked
Fader Contours (Upfaders) = Far left
Use TTM 57SL = Unchecked
Fader Contours (Crossfader) = Far left
Use TTM 57SL = Unchecked
End with Audio = Checked

What am I doing wrong and why am I getting such bad performance?
DJReign68 4:38 AM - 13 February, 2010
I had that same problem with a sony but bought a mac pro with the 9400 graphics card originally it worked great and now I upgraded to the one with the 2 video cards 1 dedicated and one shared memory on the graphics card and the transitions and functionality is freak awesome!!
Rane, Support
Zach S 12:04 AM - 17 February, 2010
Hey Chris,

I see you have the video quality option set to 'best'.
This option is well ahead of its time and no computer, not even the blingy bling Macbook Pro will be able to run at that setting.
Lower it to high or even medium.
Also turn off V-sync and boost your video buffer to 2 gigs.

If your still having issues it may be due to how the files your trying to play were encoded.

Try downloading, and testing with, these videos --> scratchlive.net

Let us know your findings;)
geeunot 10:50 AM - 17 February, 2010
very helpful zach. i too have the same MBP as him, but with the latest OS. It only allows me to set the buffer to 1.5 gigs...anyone know the reason?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:52 PM - 17 February, 2010
Its probably because there is only 2 gigs of ram in the comp.
If you add more I'm sure you'll be able to boost this setting.
geeunot 8:34 AM - 18 February, 2010
My MBP only allows 2 gigs of ram max =/
djchrishart 7:22 PM - 19 February, 2010
Quote:
very helpful zach. i too have the same MBP as him, but with the latest OS. It only allows me to set the buffer to 1.5 gigs...anyone know the reason?

Geeunot - Since you and I have the same laptop, are you saying that you have the same issues? If not, what are all of your settings set to? ...Knowing that we can't set our buffer higher than 1.5GB :(
djchrishart 7:52 PM - 19 February, 2010
Quote:
Hey Chris,

I see you have the video quality option set to 'best'.
This option is well ahead of its time and no computer, not even the blingy bling Macbook Pro will be able to run at that setting.
Lower it to high or even medium.
Also turn off V-sync and boost your video buffer to 2 gigs.

If your still having issues it may be due to how the files your trying to play were encoded.

Try downloading, and testing with, these videos --> scratchlive.net

Let us know your findings;)

Zack,

Again, appreciate your persistence here...

1. I bumped the "quality" down to "medium" - No change in issue
2. I turned off "use v-sync" - The first thing I noticed is this line that flicked up through the screen periodically (similar to a screen refresh). I also then noticed that the lips to a singer singing were off to the words coming out of the audio. So IMO, "use v-sync" is crucial to me.
3. As Geeunot pointed out, our laptops only support 2GBs of RAM total. So in regards to the video buffer, I bumped it up as high as it would go, which is about 1.5GBs.

Overall, my issue still exists...

So, onto the 'test Serato videos'. Basically I loaded two videos, set them both to continuously loop and then throttled the following:

1. The "use v-sync" check box (on/off no difference...maybe because of no audio?)
2. The "quality" drop-down (best, high, medium, didn't see any difference or negative effect with either settings)

So all in all, with the test videos everything ran GREAT! So now onto your third part....

As an FYI, when I ripped/encoded my PO Hot Video, I copied the entire DVD to my hard drive on a Windows laptop, installed/loaded the Serato HandBrake preset, and then encoded everything through Handbrake using that preset. Is it possible the Serato provided Handbrake preset isn't configured right? Anyone else submitted issues with using it?

I guess my only concern with the thought that it could be how the video was encoded and/or the HB preset, is that as long as I play one video at a time in Serato, with the original settings that I posted, it runs and plays fine. The issue only comes about when I load two videos. If I am playing one video live on the external display, and JUST load the second video, the first one goes out of sync and choppy.

What's your thoughts?
djchrishart 8:06 PM - 19 February, 2010
I got more info that is hopefully helpful.... :)

I am playing around with the videos that come with the Serato Video-SL Plugin box and I can play two at the same time, on "quality = high" and things work GREAT! I checked my CPU usage at that same time when two were playing and it's DRASTICALLY lower (around 40% - 60% vs. constant 95%).

So with all of this said, again, maybe an issue with the way the Serato Handbrake Preset is configured and the settings its choosing? When looking through what settings come with the Preset, I am honestly dumbfounded, so I guess to asking it in layman terms:

What would cause one video to run at a higher CPU than another when it comes to the settings chosen within Handbrake, when encoding a video? And whomever created the Serato Handbrake Plugin, are they having any issues like this at all? Can they possibly chime in?
djchrishart 8:23 PM - 19 February, 2010
One more thing and I think I am done for today...

www.serato.com has a posting of quite a few people with this issue, and interestingly enough the post was originally posted in 2008.

Take a look at everything I posted today and hopefully it helps.

Thanks again Zack for sticking with this!
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:19 PM - 19 February, 2010
Hey Chris,

So the issue definitely sounds like how your files have been encoded.

Please download Movie Batch Info --> scratchlive.net
This will give us info on how your tracks have been encoded.

Post the MBI in this post and we'll see what's going on with your files.

There could definitely be something strange going on with the preset.
djchrishart 9:42 PM - 19 February, 2010
Zach,

I've got some more bad news...

When I open the MovieInfoBatch.exe and then drag my 'John Mayer - Who Says.m4v' file onto it, it crashes and displays an error stating:

"TODO: <File description> has stopped working

Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..."

If I try to run MovieInfoBatch.exe with the Motorway_140.mov test video file, it works perfect.

Thoughts/Ideas? Anywhere for me to upload one of my encoded files for you to do analysis on?
djchrishart 10:05 PM - 19 February, 2010
Zach,

Forget it. I ran the MovieInfoBatch on my Mac instead and it did work (on the same 'John Mayer - Who Says.m4v' file). Here are my results:

/Volumes/MY PASSPORT/_Music Video/Compilations/Promo Only/Promo Only Hot Video/2010/01 - January/John Mayer - Who Says.m4v
Length(s) 219.56 (Samples: 19760640, Timescale: 90000)
Size 75.57 MB
Movie Tracks:
VideoType: avc1, (JVT/AVC Coding) 615x360
Component 1) lppa, H.264 Decoder v.40004, Decompresses images stored in the H.264 format.
Audio Tracks:
AudioType: mp4a (48000kHz, 16bit)
Component 1) lppa, MPEG-4 Audio v.10009, MPEG-4 Audio Decompressor component
Frame rate: 29.97 per second
Keyframes: 198 (min: 10, max: 50,avg: 33.2)
This file supports internal metadata

What do you think?
geeunot 7:45 AM - 22 February, 2010
i have a MBP 2.6 Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2GB of ram. running 10.5.8.
djchrishart 1:57 AM - 23 February, 2010
Zach,

Any word back on the results that I submitted?

If it helps, as a test, I tried this same exact video file on Virtual DJ and didn't experience any of these issues. With two videos playing, the CPU is at about 50-60% and there wasn't any choppy or stutter. Also, when I play it with ANY other video player (Windows Media Player, Quicktime, etc.) it plays perfect.

At this point, I am wondering if it's not an issue with how it's encoded, but possibly more of an issue on how Serato is decoding the MPEG container. I am assuming it's utilizing a codec or something similar and wondering if it's old or not compatible with how the HB preset is encoding these files. Since the latest Handbrake version is recent, it's pretty safe to say that they are leveraging the latest MPEG4 standards/features and not sure if Serato is compatible with decoding it. This is a bit over my head, so not sure, but just a thought.

Just curious, but do you guys have access to how Promo Only and/or Top Hits U.S.A. encode theirs?
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:16 PM - 23 February, 2010
Sorry for the delay... can you please upload that John Mayor track via the 'attach a file' link in this post so we can take a look at it?

Are you trying to encode using Handbrake on your PC or Mac?

Does this video play fine in VSL if its the only video your playing?

Quote:
Just curious, but do you guys have access to how Promo Only and/or Top Hits U.S.A. encode theirs?

I'm not sure about Top Hits but as long as your buying the MP4 version of the Promo Only tracks they should play fine in VSL straight away.
1:05 PM, 24 Feb 2010
djchrishart attached a file: John Mayer - Who Says.m4v
Download· Permalink
djchrishart 1:08 PM - 24 February, 2010
The John Mayer file is now uploaded.

I encoded this on a Windows 7 Ultimate PC using the latest Handbrake (v0.9.4), and the Serato provided Handbrake Preset.

Issue #1: From what I can see, with just this single John Mayer video that I uploaded, the video is choppy and the CPU spikes up to about 80%.

Issue #2: When I add a second video to the mix, the CPU spikes to about 95-100% and the lips on the singers get out of sync with the audio, and both videos get very choppy.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you need anything else...
2:48 AM, 25 Feb 2010
djchrishart attached a file: Bob Sinclar vs Timbaland - The Way I Hold On (DJ EkSeL Edit).mp4
Download· Permalink
djchrishart 2:48 AM - 25 February, 2010
Zach,

I have recently subscribed to VideoToolz.com and their videos play perfect (2 videos playing with about 65% CPU utilization). So again, I think we're down to how Serato is behaving with video files encoded with Handbrake and spiking the CPU to 100%.

I am going to upload one of the VideoToolz.com files (Bob Sinclair) so you can use it to compare to the PO Handbrake encoded file (John Mayer).

Let me know if you are able to reproduce this in each scenario, and what you think.
djchrishart 2:52 AM - 25 February, 2010
If it helps, here is the MBI of the VideoToolz.com file that works great (Bob Sinclair):

/Volumes/MY PASSPORT/_Music Video/Video Toolz/Mash Up, Remix, & Party Breaks/Bob Sinclar vs Timbaland - The Way I Hold On (DJ EkSeL Edit).m4v
Length(s) 214.81 (Samples: 19333314, Timescale: 90000)
Size 88.54 MB
Movie Tracks:
VideoType: avc1, (
AVC Coding) 640x480
Component 1) lppa, H.264 Decoder v.40004, Decompresses images stored in the H.264 format.
Audio Tracks:
AudioType: mp4a (48000kHz, 16bit)
Component 1) lppa, MPEG-4 Audio v.10009, MPEG-4 Audio Decompressor component
Frame rate: 29.97 per second
Keyframes: 279 (min: 1, max: 24,avg: 23.0)
This file supports internal metadata
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:17 PM - 25 February, 2010
Hey Chris...

I'm sorry I haven't got a chance to load that video into VSL yet but I'm guessing the problem is that you're trying to encode in Handbrake with the Serato preset using Windows 7. I would try using your Mac.

I'll attempt to encode a file on our Windows 7 machine when I get a minute and post my findings.
Just wanted to get back to you until then.
ta2423 4:03 AM - 2 March, 2010
Following discussion... Conclusions?
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:51 PM - 2 March, 2010
Ok.. so I got a chance to check out that file and it seems to play fine on our MBP running 10.6.2?

Looking back over your posts it sounds like you were using your Windows 7 machine this whole time?

Know that VSL isn't yet compatible with Windows 7.

If you try playing that John Mayor track on your Mac do you experience the same issue?
djchrishart 3:42 PM - 8 March, 2010
Zach,

Sorry for the confusion...

1. I only use Win7 to:
- Rip the PO DVD
- Handbrake to Encode it

2. I only use the Mac to:
- Run Serato DJ at my performances. I don't use it for anything else (No ripping, no encoding, nothing)

So to clarify, when I play this file, along with ANY other Handbrake / Serato Preset encoded file on my Mac, I experience extremely high CPU usage and choppy playback. And by browsing your forums, it seems to be a pretty known issue.
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:22 PM - 8 March, 2010
Have you tried encoding using your Mac?
I'm sure that will fix the current problems with Handbrake.
djchrishart 9:19 PM - 8 March, 2010
Seriously? This file plays great on every other media playing application, regardless of OS, including Virtual DJ, but except for Video-SL. I really don't think it's a Mac vs. Windows thing here...just read the forums. There are people complaining about this everywhere.
carter 9:47 PM - 8 March, 2010
Hey Chris, I replied to your "Decomb or Deinterlace" thread earlier today. Check out the setting I sent for Handbrake. It is definitely an issue with the preset, but that affects your overall encode for the file. scratchlive.net
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:31 PM - 8 March, 2010
I think the problem is how Handbrake is encoding the files, or an issue with the preset, when using your Windows 7 machine.
If you use the Mac preset using Handbrake on your Mac I'm pretty sure you won't have any issues.
Remember.. Windows 7 is not even officially supported yet so bugs/issues are still rearing their ugly head.
carter 12:32 AM - 9 March, 2010
Hey Zach, I'm on a Mac and the issue is with the .0.9.4 build of Handbrake and the way it is encoding based on the preset. Key frame rate is off, which is causing long pauses and flickers. Also by default the detelecine and decomb options are not set in the preset which leaves it with either the 3:2 or interlaced lines. Not an expert on either of those, but have been slowly picking up on it lately.
djchrishart 4:37 PM - 9 March, 2010
Carter,

Thanks for taking this on and proving to the Rane folks that the issue at hand is with the HB Preset that they have provided and the settings that it's configured with; not with Win7, XP, OSX, etc....

Would you mind uploading your new HB Preset that you created, with the new settings, so they can take a look and if need be either publicly post it for others to download or tweak the one they have provided to solve this issue?

Again, thanks a million for looking into this. I think the overall ScratchLive community will be very grateful, especially based on the amount of posts on the exact topic!
ta2423 4:48 PM - 9 March, 2010
+1
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:50 PM - 9 March, 2010
Ok.. I am understanding the confusion on everyone's part.. including me.
0.9.4 is a brand new Handbrake version.
I'm sure the current SSL preset isn't compatible with that version as the developers have had to create a new preset for every new version of Handbrake that has come out.
The current preset is for 0.9.3.
With that said, I would uninstall 0.9.4, install 0.9.3, and use your Mac to encode your videos.
0.9.3 will not work with Windows 7.
Hopefully, once the Serato developers change the preset this will work with Windows 7.

I hope that helps out:)
djchrishart 5:58 PM - 9 March, 2010
Zach,

Good point. Now the $100 question.... is there an ETA on when they are going to evaluate 0.9.4 and update the Preset? I know they are probably diligently working on ScratchLive 2.0, but would also suspect, that it would be pretty easy for them to take a day, at most, and upgrade the Preset.

If not, I think I am going to wait and see what Carter has. Not quite sure I want to use an older version of HB when the latest version is what they (Handbrake.fr) support.
djchrishart 6:10 PM - 9 March, 2010
Zach,

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I just checked, and according to serato.com, it states "At the time of writing HandBrake is version 0.9.4."

So this tells me that the Preset is designed / compatible with 0.9.4.

Do you know Matthew Cleland, the person that wrote the "How To" article? Can we have him chime in and accurately tell us?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:22 PM - 9 March, 2010
Hm.. I'll get Matt to chime in. Hold tight.
djchrishart 7:05 PM - 9 March, 2010
:)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 5:32 AM - 10 March, 2010
Hey djchrishart,

I don't believe that your issue is being caused by the preset. I've downloaded the videos you've attached and they play fine on my computer (Mac Mini, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB, OS X 10.6.2). One thing that I have that you may not is that I have Perian installed, which is a QuickTime component used for decoding video files. Try downloading that and see if it helps, you can get it here -> perian.org. On Mac, Video-SL uses QuickTime to decode all video files.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:47 PM - 10 March, 2010
Ya.. that John Mayor track played fine on several Mac computers here too but they are all higher spec computers running 10.5 and 10.6 so I wasn't sure if that had something to do with it.
Regardless.. in doing some research on this, there is some issues with using Handbrake when trying to rip VOB, MPEG1, and MPEG 2 files off of dvds using Snow Leopard. Apparently you need VLC but VLC doesn't currently have a 64 bit version.
There is suppose to be some beta version of VLC out there but I have yet to find it.
carter 4:56 PM - 10 March, 2010
I can verify that it IS the preset. I have Perian installed for decoding and when ripping Promo Only dvds to mp4 using 0.9.4 there was a picture and a pause...a few frames later it would pick back up and freeze again. The audio remains constant. The problem is with the frame rate (min=1, keyint=50) and the settings under the Advanced tab for the x264 settings. I got so frustrated I switched to ripping to single vobs with Mac the Ripper and using MPEG Streamclip.
Zach and Michael, here is the preset that I used successfully on a Promo Only Old Skool Classics DVD. I had the preset save the picture settings, but they can be reverted back to automatic cropping and strict anamorphic. tinyurl.com

Zach is that file playing well in VLC and on Quicktime? Or is it playing well in V-SL? VSL is the issue, not the media player. And it's not whether or not it plays period, it's whether it plays in VSL.
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:54 PM - 10 March, 2010
I tested this again. Once on my Macbook running 10.5.7, 2.0 processors, and 3 gigs of ram using SSL 2.0 (due to not being able to open VSL on 1.9.2 and see the video screens. Bug?) and did experience some pretty substantial lag issues but then tested it using our Macbook Pro running 10.6.3, Dual 2.6 gig, and 4 gigs of ram using SSL 1.9.2 without any issues at all.

So variables are all over the place with my testing.

Is everyone running 1.9.2 with VSL 1.1.1?
carter 10:59 PM - 10 March, 2010
Hey Zach, thanks for looking into it again. I'm sure you guys have more important things to do than to look at another manufacturer's encode settings, so thank you.
I encoded and tested it on my late 2008 unibody 2.53 MBP 10.6.2 OS, 4 gigs of ram, and I had it on Higher Performance in both encoding and testing.
I'm running 1.9.2. And I've tested on both 1.1.1 and 1.2b, which is what I'm currently running. Maybe 10.6.3 is going to bring us some changes in Quicktime X finally. That seems to be one big variable.
12:23 AM, 11 Mar 2010
DJMark attached a file: DJMark-3500 (detelecine).plist.zip
Download· Permalink
DJMark 12:30 AM - 11 March, 2010
I've just attached a settings file that has been working well for me with Handbrake 0.94.

The Keyframes setting I've chosen is 20, which seems to make any kind of random-access playback work a lot better than higher settings.

On a Mac, you need to download the 32-bit Handbrake version (regardless of what Mac you have), because there's no "stable" 64-bit version of VLC. If you try to use the 64-bit handbrake with the 32-bit VLC, you will see an error message.

Whether or not my settings prove useful to others, I think the newer Handbrake version is preferable to the old. There have been a lot of refinements to the x264 encoder, and you can now encode AAC at bitrates above 160kbps (on the Mac version).
DJMark 12:36 AM - 11 March, 2010
And about Perian...I've tried both ways, and found Perian seems to cause more problems than it solves. Haven't had a single crash with either VSL or MixEmergency since reversing the Perian command-line to force it to decode all Quicktime content. I had a fair number of such crashes when Perian was doing the decoding,

This is on an early-2009 17" MBP, 2.66gHz/4gb RAM, OS 10.6.2.

(I'm also hoping that the coming-any-day-now OS 10.6.3 will improve overall Quicktime performance, as rumored).
carter 1:15 AM - 11 March, 2010
I guess I'm missing the connection between VLC and Handbrake. Does VLC contain the codexes or something?
DJMark 2:53 AM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
I guess I'm missing the connection between VLC and Handbrake. Does VLC contain the codexes or something?

I think VLC's main role with Handbrake is reading/decrypting DVD's. You might not need VLC if encoding files you'd already saved to VOB's.
carter 3:22 AM - 11 March, 2010
Gotcha. That makes sense. Yes, most of mine are archived in either single vob or iso form.
DJMark 4:40 AM - 11 March, 2010
Quote:
Gotcha. That makes sense. Yes, most of mine are archived in either single vob or iso form.

Cool...so if you're saying VLC isn't needed for those files, I'll have to re-try the 64-bit handbrake...usually I also archive the VOB's before actually doing the encoding. Might shave off a bit of time to use the 64-bit version.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:01 PM - 11 March, 2010
Ok.. I got it... the 64 bit version of Handbrake is not usable until VLC gets their 64 bit version up.
The 64 bit version will work as long as your not trying to rip dvds.

I've installed the 32 bit version of Handbrake and its now its able to rip dvds on my Mac running 10.6.2.

I'm currently testing the current preset on our Vista, Windows 7, and Macbook Pro running 10.6.2.

I'll post my results when I'm done.
DJMark 2:22 AM - 12 March, 2010
Zach, if you have the chance to do it, I'd be interested in hearing any feedback about the preset I posted here yesterday.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:57 AM - 12 March, 2010
Hey guys,

We're going to need to do some more testing on this issue (excessively high CPU use). I don't believe the cause is due to the preset, but rather due to changes made in the x264 encoder which Handbrake uses. I'll let you all know our findings as soon as I can :)
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:02 PM - 12 March, 2010
Hey Mark.. I tried installing that preset but I'm having a hard time getting it to show up in Handbrake?

You can't drag/drop the preset onto the icon.
I also tried moving it into the Handbrake folder located in the Application Support folder inside the Library folder inside the House folder which is where the UserPreset.plist file is stored but no go.

Any suggestions?
carter 5:34 PM - 12 March, 2010
Thanks Michael.
Also Zach, not sure about PC but on Mac there is a Presets file menu at the top when you open the program. Click on import and point it to the location on your drive where you stored the preset.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:53 PM - 12 March, 2010
Oh ya.. thanks Carter:)

I'll give this preset a shot:)
djchrishart 1:25 AM - 13 March, 2010
Quote:
I can verify that it IS the preset. I have Perian installed for decoding and when ripping Promo Only dvds to mp4 using 0.9.4 there was a picture and a pause...a few frames later it would pick back up and freeze again. The audio remains constant. The problem is with the frame rate (min=1, keyint=50) and the settings under the Advanced tab for the x264 settings. I got so frustrated I switched to ripping to single vobs with Mac the Ripper and using MPEG Streamclip.
Zach and Michael, here is the preset that I used successfully on a Promo Only Old Skool Classics DVD. I had the preset save the picture settings, but they can be reverted back to automatic cropping and strict anamorphic. tinyurl.com

Carter,

Is this preset for Mac or Windows? It imports fine in Mac, but when I try in Windows it crashes with an exception error. I just want to be sure I am testing exactly what you did.

Zach is that file playing well in VLC and on Quicktime? Or is it playing well in V-SL? VSL is the issue, not the media player. And it's not whether or not it plays period, it's whether it plays in VSL.
carter 1:32 AM - 13 March, 2010
It's on Mac.
djchrishart 3:01 AM - 13 March, 2010
Okay, so I've upgraded my Mac to OSX 10.6.2, installed Handbrake 0.9.4, imported Carter's preset, encoded the same John Mayer song that Ive been running all of my tests with and when I load it and play it, CPU runs at about 75 - 80%. When I load a second track, we're back at 100 - 108%.

Again, here are my specs:
- 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo
- 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
- OSX 10.6.2

Is this what your running Carter?
carter 7:47 AM - 13 March, 2010
Same OS, Same Handbrake, Specs are 2.53 MBP, 4 GB 1067, 512 video dedicated graphics card. Just looked at my system load. I'm running between 40-45% while spinning. Jumps to about 61% when I load the track and hangs around 50-55% when mixing. 2GB buffer running on high. I also have Firefox running streaming through ustream.
DJMark 8:21 AM - 13 March, 2010
Quote:
Okay, so I've upgraded my Mac to OSX 10.6.2, installed Handbrake 0.9.4, imported Carter's preset, encoded the same John Mayer song that Ive been running all of my tests with and when I load it and play it, CPU runs at about 75 - 80%. When I load a second track, we're back at 100 - 108%.

Your percentage numbers make sense to me. The Core Duo's had quite a bit less horsepower than a Core2Duo at the same clock speed, and you have a nearly four-year-old graphics card. The other issue with the earlier Core Duo's is that they run pretty hot, so if you're not already using it I would absolutely recommend installing "SMCFanControl" and crank up the fan speeds when running video. Sustained high temperatures will tend to make hardware live a shorter life.

Keep in mind that on a dual-core CPU, "200%" in Activity Monitor is actually where you're consuming all CPU resources. So from that it looks like you've got headroom to spare.
7:04 PM, 13 Mar 2010
djchrishart attached a file: smcFanControl.jpg
View· Permalink
djchrishart 7:05 PM - 13 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

Your percentage numbers make sense to me. The Core Duo's had quite a bit less horsepower than a Core2Duo at the same clock speed, and you have a nearly four-year-old graphics card. The other issue with the earlier Core Duo's is that they run pretty hot, so if you're not already using it I would absolutely recommend installing "SMCFanControl" and crank up the fan speeds when running video. Sustained high temperatures will tend to make hardware live a shorter life.

Keep in mind that on a dual-core CPU, "200%" in Activity Monitor is actually where you're consuming all CPU resources. So from that it looks like you've got headroom to spare.

DJMark - I will surely take your advice and download the smcFanControl. Any thoughts on what settings I should use? How familiar are you with it? Attached is a screenshot
djchrishart 7:07 PM - 13 March, 2010
Quote:
It's on Mac.

Carter - I apologize if I am asking too much now.... :)

Any chance you can make a preset with these settings for Windows? Encoding these on my Mac is taking A LOT longer time. About 20 minutes plus, per song. On my Windows box, when I was trying other encoding settings, it's about 4 minutes per song. My PC is newer... ?
DJMark 1:52 AM - 14 March, 2010
Quote:
DJMark - I will surely take your advice and download the smcFanControl. Any thoughts on what settings I should use? How familiar are you with it? Attached is a screenshot

When I'm DJ-ing videos, I crank the fans up all the way. I've never seen any problems from that software, and I've used it for several years now.

I also (every week or two) give the vents (behind/under the screen hinge) a good blasting of compressed air. If you've never done that, you may be in for a shock when you see how much dust comes flying out.
DJMark 2:00 AM - 14 March, 2010
Quote:
Any chance you can make a preset with these settings for Windows? Encoding these on my Mac is taking A LOT longer time. About 20 minutes plus, per song. On my Windows box, when I was trying other encoding settings, it's about 4 minutes per song. My PC is newer... ?

I think what he posted is pretty much my command-line settings. It does make for long encode times (and very high-quality encodes)...but if the time is too long you could try setting the "Motion Estimation Method" back to "Uneven Multi-Hexagon", turn off the weighted B-Frames, turn off the CABAC Entropy Coding, etc.
djchrishart 2:04 AM - 15 March, 2010
Quote:
Quote:

I think what he posted is pretty much my command-line settings. It does make for long encode times (and very high-quality encodes)...but if the time is too long you could try setting the "Motion Estimation Method" back to "Uneven Multi-Hexagon", turn off the weighted B-Frames, turn off the CABAC Entropy Coding, etc.

DJMark - Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I have to admit, that these forums and people like you and Carter make being a Serato customer that much better!

You both seem extremely knowledgeable in the settings needed to encode these videos, and also like me, feel that quality is important. But, as you stated, it did take quite a while (on Mac & Win); about 13 hours to encode a full Promo Only DVD.

Is this what you guys experienced?
carter 5:05 AM - 15 March, 2010
What he said...
That is Mark's preset with just a few changes. It takes about 20 minutes or so per track on Handbrake, but it also takes about the same time doing it through MPEG Streamclip.
Still toying with the settings and also looking into that IVTC method as well.
If you're staying with the VSL preset: I adjusted average bit rate up to around 3000, fsp is same as. Under advanced I changed to keyint=25: min keyint=10. And I left No DCT-Decimate on. Under picture settings I went back to 640x480 auto cropping, none on anamorphic, and of course detelecine and decomb back on default.
You can plug those settings in and try them out. I did a 4 min single vob in about 10 min.
DJMark 6:48 AM - 15 March, 2010
The times you guys are mentioning are about what I see here (obviously the times are less if I use the 8-core Mac Pro).

But the way I look at it, you'll encode only once (hopefully :-), but play the songs many times.

One thing I've found is that older (noisier) videos often seem more "picky" about encoder settings than new "clean-looking" videos. I think it's the same principle of where MP3 encoding at a certain bitrate can work fine for music from CD's, but have more trouble with music from vinyl records...the added noises/irregularities makes more work for the encoder.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 5:20 AM - 8 April, 2010
Hi all,

Ok, it seems that we've found a solution to the new x264 encoding issue in Handbrake. Can I get you all to do the following:

1) Install the latest version of Perian (1.2.1), which you can get here -> perian.org
2) Restart your computer

This should now have installed with the latest H264 codec which will play these files much better :) If you find you are still having this issue, you may need to force Perian to become the default decoder. You can do this by doing the following:

1) Open Finder and go to Applications -> Utilites and run Terminal.
2) When the Terminal window opens cut and paste the following:

defaults write org.perian.Perian DecodeAllProfiles -bool YES

and press enter.
3) Close Terminal.

Please let me know if this update works for you all :)
djchrishart 2:15 PM - 8 April, 2010
Michael R,

Thanks for continuing to work on this. If I understand you correctly, the new version of HB uses a newer x264 codec and the decoder that Serato used wasn't compatible or up to date? Does Serato provide it's own codec, built into the application, or does it use whatever codec comes with the OS (i.e. Quicktime,etc.)? Where does the Preset come into play with all of this?

I guess regardless of the technical jargon behind all of this, if I get the Perian (1.2.1), do I then use the original HB Preset that you posted before (serato.com)? Or should I stick with the recommendations that DJMark and Carter posted above?

Again, thanks for sticking with this!
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:32 PM - 8 April, 2010
The current preset in the Handbrake article should work.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 4:58 AM - 9 April, 2010
Hey djchrishart,

Correct - we use QuickTime to decode video files and it seems it was unable to handle the new encoding added in the latest version of Handbrake/X264. The latest Perian (which is basically a set of codecs for QuickTime) seems to be able to handle the decoding comfortably :)

I've updated the preset today to include some of the things discussed earlier (better keyframe rate, decomb filter) so you should download that instead. The new link is here -> www.serato.com (click link).
DJ2D2 12:04 PM - 9 April, 2010
Hi!

The HB preset link doesn't work. It redirects me to the forum home.

Can you pls fix it?

Thnx.
djchrishart 6:14 PM - 9 April, 2010
Yep, I second that. The link here doesn't work, and the updated links in the Handbrake tutorials don't work either.

Please check and post a valid link.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:38 PM - 9 April, 2010
Ya.. I noticed that to. Unfortunately the Serato team won't be around until our Sunday (if your in the States). We'll have to wait until then:(
djchrishart 10:18 PM - 9 April, 2010
Ahhhhh! Is it possible to upload it here as a raw file, instead of a link somewhere?

Or could you upload it to me in a "Private Discussion"?
Classik 6:18 PM - 10 April, 2010
My question do i keep using the 32bit version of handbrake (0.9.4.) or 64bit. Also is the preset set for quality or performance versus the previous. Thanks for all your hard work keeping up with technology.
djchrishart 11:12 PM - 11 April, 2010
Quote:
My question do i keep using the 32bit version of handbrake (0.9.4.) or 64bit. Also is the preset set for quality or performance versus the previous. Thanks for all your hard work keeping up with technology.

This totally depends on the machine that you are running Handbrake on. If the machine supports 64-bit, that's what I would choose. Your encoding should go faster.

From what I read, the preset is configured for both. It's been configured for middle of the road, quality and performance. The higher quality, the larger file you get and I believe the more CPU that's be used.

I think after all of the investigation that was done based on this thread, the new preset will be pretty good.

BTW, I installed Perian and used is this past weekend at my gigs, and noticed a drastic difference. It even play a video that I encoded, that I had issues playing in the past.

Hope that helps!
DJ2D2 11:15 AM - 12 April, 2010
The link was fixed.

I use it and it works superb!
Very good quality and no horizontal lines.

Thank you very mucho!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 2:54 AM - 14 April, 2010
Quote:
The link was fixed.

Yes sorry, my bad! It's all working now :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 3:18 AM - 16 April, 2010
Hey Classick,

Quote:
My question do i keep using the 32bit version of handbrake (0.9.4.) or 64bit.

I believe that the 64bit version of Handbrake requires a 64bit version of VLC to rip certain DVDs, unfortunately there isn't currently a 64bit version of VLC however :-/

Quote:
Also is the preset set for quality or performance versus the previous.

It aims to create a balance between the two :)
1:21 AM, 2 Aug 2010
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.