Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

ITCH 1.1 now Snow Leopard compatible, Traktor official support later this year

djcerla 3:58 PM - 15 September, 2009
djcerla 4:07 PM - 15 September, 2009
But I can't find the Snow Leopard drivers on the NS7 site... mmm...
kraal 4:18 PM - 15 September, 2009
have to say that numark and the ns7 is making good moves... vestax are you listening? hello are you even on this forum anymore?
DJdaveZ 4:21 PM - 15 September, 2009
whats wrong with vestax? there forum representation is very slim... but it does work with snow leopard...
djcerla 4:22 PM - 15 September, 2009
If I remember well, the VCI is a MIDI compliant device, and no driver is required.
Actually, mine works great on Snow Leopard.

Also the NS7 works fine with 10.6 here, with the old driver...
yeahdef 4:23 PM - 15 September, 2009
i just saw this on skratchworx - so excited.
i remember thinking i was losing something going from traktor pro to itch, but now i have the best of both worlds.
kraal 4:23 PM - 15 September, 2009
i am refering to working with traktor and virtualDJ meaning giving you more options
DJdaveZ 4:25 PM - 15 September, 2009
i would love to see my vci work with virtual dj... so i can do karaoke right from the vci... but i'd hate to get away from itch... so winamp it is for karaoke.
kraal 4:26 PM - 15 September, 2009
and video and a sampler all in virtualDJ which i own so that is why i am saying the versitility comes in play
djcerla 4:27 PM - 15 September, 2009
However... Numark seems to be VERY SERIOUS and care a lot about their flagship product. Thumbs up.
Dj Kabrini Greens 4:32 PM - 15 September, 2009
Quote:
have to say that numark and the ns7 is making good moves... vestax are you listening? hello are you even on this forum anymore?

lol
Numark
Chris Roman 8:31 PM - 15 September, 2009
The NS7 + Itch 1.1 is already 10.6 compatible in 32-bit mode. If you plan to use 64-bit (not encouraged) or plan to use the NS7 with some other software (Kraal mentions above) you will want to download the new Snow Leopard beta driver from the Numark web site.
Dj Beware 11:29 PM - 15 September, 2009
So although we have seen numerous post from users confirming ITCH 1.1 is working with the VCI300, is this to say that the compatibility stamp is hardware specific, as I don't recall seeing anyone from Serato out right say ITCH 1.1 is ok on Snow Leopard?
DJdaveZ 1:31 AM - 16 September, 2009
i bet its because they havent made a 64 bit specific version yet... the same 32 bit version does work with snow leopard but i bet the next version out will run faster. :)
D-RoC71 4:40 AM - 17 September, 2009
But I thought that Snow Leopard runs on 64 by default? And it is compatible with 32.
DJdaveZ 9:09 AM - 17 September, 2009
it is... and it does... i have had success as well as many others with snow leopard.. my point was that i think they want to make it run natively in 64 bit so it would run and process a lot faster.. i would hope they'd be working on that..
djcerla 9:29 AM - 17 September, 2009
No, it's 32 bit. But there are apps like the Finder, Quicktime X, which always run in 64 bit. If you want to run full 64 bit you have to enable it by pressing 6+4 keys at startup. If you REALLY want to...!

There are no SL 64 bits music apps available at the moment. Also, the real advantage of 64 bits computing is not as relevant as one may think, so I highly doubt developers will invest in total rewrites of their softwares for 64 bit processing (i.e. NI says they're "evaluating the investment", company jargon for "nope").

Much more interesting: the Grand Central Dispatch (multicore management) and Open CL (GPU free cycles management) Apple technologies that debuted in Snow Leopard. Easier to include in an existing 32 bit application like ITCH than rewriting everything for 64 processing.

Early real world tests look amazing --> www.macrumors.com , talk about 30-100% gap up in performance, depending on tasks. This will give a strong advantage over comparable Windows machines.

Welcome to a new world where older machines actually get FASTER while aging! :)
casket hands 10:05 AM - 17 September, 2009
if they keep on like this consider me a convert
djcerla 10:51 AM - 17 September, 2009
If you guys have a free half hour, and feel a bit tech-geek, ARS TECHNICA published a perfect, indepth review of SL, including the aforementioned technologies, here --> arstechnica.com

From page 11 onwards, there's an incredibly exhaustive explaination of cuncurrency processing and the way GDP implements it in Snow Leopard, plug a description of what Open CL is and why you should know about it.

Highly recommended!
DJdaveZ 6:32 PM - 17 September, 2009
wow good stuff
marcA 7:32 AM - 18 September, 2009
hi djcerla,
it is nice to see that GCD is part of the os and makes life easier for the mac programmer, but this is nothing new on windows side, the only difference is that the mechanism isn't built right into the core of windows to be used in a programming language, .Net for example has built in support for parallellism which goes beyond GCD imho.
i've been using similar techniques for years now in plain windows development, throwing functions on a factory which owns a pool of threads which runs the function..works great and although it ain't that sofisticated as GCD it does the job :)
the real trick is to be able to get code running in parallel, i mean, if you need to ask the user for input all the code following isn't thread-able...
i should need to analyse the threads being pulled by itch on windows but i guess that serato does use threads everywhere to get things flowing, and maybe the biggest problem is to sync them all together to the final result :)

i'm no mac-basher, i don't know the machine that well :) but the new methods aren't that shocking to me....
what i do believe is that due to the fact that the machine is totally apple the drivers and optimasation on hardware level are far better than windows...i guess..

oh well, just random thought on a friday morning :) thx for the link though, very interesting to read, makes me wanna play with it to see what gives :)
djcerla 8:10 AM - 18 September, 2009
marcA,

I'm not a programmer, even if I had 2 university exams on that, but I think the bottom line on GCD is (from the Ars Technica review):

Quote:
When I first heard about Grand Central Dispatch, I was extremely skeptical. The greatest minds in computer science have been working for decades on the problem of how best to extract parallelism from computing workloads. Now here was Apple apparently promising to solve this problem. Ridiculous.

But Grand Central Dispatch doesn't actually address this issue at all. It offers no help whatsoever in deciding how to split your work up into independently executable tasks

What GCD does instead is much more pragmatic. Once a developer has identified something that can be split off into a separate task, GCD makes it as easy and non-invasive as possible to actually do so.

Those with some multithreaded programming experience may be unimpressed with the GCD. So Apple made a thread pool. Big deal. They've been around forever. But the angels are in the details.

Just as Time Machine was "the first backup system people will actually use," Grand Central Dispatch is poised to finally spread the heretofore dark art of asynchronous application design to all Mac OS X developers. I can't wait

Very well said, IMHO.

I think the winning point of GCD and Open CL is the ease of integration in existing software. Another article about the first benchmark on optimized code (50% faster!) --> www.appleinsider.com
marcA 8:56 AM - 18 September, 2009
hi djcerla,
exactly as the article says: it is great that it is bakes into the OS, making the task easy and one does not have an excuse any longer not to multithread :)
the way they implemented it is also beatiful in the way that you can wrap blocks of code in subsequent pushes on the fifo stack, this is something that a simple programmer can't do if the compiler does not have it in it. so yes i would love to see something like that in windows also, don't get me wrong :)
no doubt mac programs could/will benefit a lot from this new feature
and be glad you're a gifted dj, programming is way more boring :)
cu
marc
DJ Grim 5:32 AM - 22 September, 2009
So bottom line... Does Itch 1.1 and the NS7 work good with Snow Leopard.
I am very worried my other setup which is a Mac Book Pro and an SL3 with Scratch LIVE did not work and was a nightmare to fix I had to uninstall and missed a live gig cause of it. I Gig every night and cant afford another mishap like that. I worked with Mark in Tech support and he was blown away by my problems with Snow Leopard and Scratch LIVE. SO DOES IT WORK PERFECT or does it just work but double all your music and act crazy all the time (slow program startup, slow turn off, doulbling of all songs, lost or missing files and just slow as hell) Thats what Scratch Live did!!

DJ GRIM
kraal 6:26 AM - 22 September, 2009
well i am hearing some people are having the same issue with itch.... and some people like myself are having no issues. If your set up is fine and you have a seperate laptop for dj'n then i say dont risk it cause honestly i see no great change upon upgrading
DJ Grim 6:34 PM - 22 September, 2009
Cool thats what I figured, working with Chad in Tech support he said until I heard a major update from Serato then dont do it. But I do have just one Macbook pro per setup and I want to put Snow Leopard on both so that I can use all its new faster features but it can wait my music is way more important. THANKS. HEY CHECK OUT MY NEW DISCUSSION ABOUT SOUND CLOUD!!!
DJ Grim 6:46 PM - 22 September, 2009
How do you start a new Discussion, I thought I knew how but I was wrong.