DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

lagging waveforms mac

DjHelios 2:04 AM - 9 September, 2009
I read in a couple of threads that macs book pros, regardless of the specs seem to have a laggin every five sec in the waveforms. It was confirmed that it was just cosmetic, I was wandering if any one saw an improvement with Snow Leopard release regarding this issue.
Thanks
enoise 3:38 AM - 9 September, 2009
hey, i noticed the same thing on my macbook, i just got snow leopard and theyre still laggin a bit
DjHelios 5:07 AM - 9 September, 2009
I was hoping that would go away with the new update. What specs are you running?
DJ Grenade 3:53 PM - 10 September, 2009
did you adjust the audio cache?
DjHelios 4:14 PM - 10 September, 2009
The audio cache is set all the way to the left, while the display cashe is set all the way to the right, to update every 60 sec. Should I change it ? The audio seems okay the only thing that seems to be lagging is the waveforms, every 5 sec or so.
xplycyt 10:30 PM - 10 September, 2009
have tried playing with the zoom on the waveforms - the more zoomed out you are the slower the waveform moves...just a thought!
djbigboy 10:49 PM - 10 September, 2009
I have a mac book pro, and I have no problems with a lag on the waveforms, plus, really, should you be staring at it?

I don't use the super settings either, mine refrehs at 45 per minute, and my buffer is not all the way to the left....I do however have it slightly zommed in but not all the way in, not all the way out...

Do you have your wave forms horizontal or veritfcal?
DjHelios 10:58 PM - 10 September, 2009
The wave forms I have them set up as vertical. Its just a matter of annoying the heck out of me. As soon as i look up at it, my heat skips a beat and I think my audio is going to lagg or stutter too, even though I know it would not because its just a cosmetic thing. I ran the same setup on dell with 1 gig of ram and flawless regarding athe lagging on the waveforms, however overheating and problems with windows is what caused me to buy a mac, other than that little cosmetic issue, the mac seems alot more stable than windows.
(It only occurs the wave forms and its about every 4-5sec a little shake or stutter occurs) it looks like the songs is about to skip.......I was just wandering if the the snow leopard update changed anything, as I have not done the update yet. (waiting for it)
djbigboy 2:41 PM - 11 September, 2009
Peeps are liking the snow leopard update. Requires some skill as I understand it hasn't been smooth for everyone, but sounds like most are getting good results...

Which software are you running for SL? Is your bluetooth/wireless on?

But I know what you mean, I had a PC and it was always doing funky stuff...you just want your software to run as it should.....
latindj 3:23 PM - 11 September, 2009
DJHelios, mine does it too, although not every 5 secs....it happens every once in a while and yeah it can be a little distracting....
dOGDaia 11:50 AM - 24 November, 2009
I have this same waveforms issue in my new macbook pro, and i hope that can be fixed by serato/apple team. Please let me know if you found a solution! Thanks
Hassle 12:16 PM - 24 November, 2009
Quote:
I have this same waveforms issue in my new macbook pro, and i hope that can be fixed by serato/apple team. Please let me know if you found a solution! Thanks

same here. any progress?
DjHelios 6:56 AM - 25 November, 2009
From what I have seen and tried out is that the issue is only cosmetic, I ran my macbook pro for many gigs and its as stable as it gets. To help with the lagging waveforms on version 1.9.1 i set the display under setup at 30, under the maximum screen updates. That makes a huge different, but the lagging its still evident but not as bad. I have two new mac book pros now (one is my fiancé's and its a 2 gig 13 inch and I now use a 4 gig 13 inch) and still run into the same problem.It has nothing to do with how powerful the machine is, its definitely cosmetic but I can understand how annoying it could be. 1.9.2 did not fix anything, and i have not tried the new mac os update to snow leopard.
Serato is aware but bc its a cosmetic thing , they say its not worth the time to fix it bc other things are more important.
hope this helps.
dOGDaia 1:31 PM - 26 November, 2009
Lets "make some noise" at feature suggestions:
www.serato.com
Hawk 1:47 PM - 26 November, 2009
Could the issue have to do with the difference in MacBook Pros between integrated and non-integrated graphics cards? The lower-spec pros have the integrated 9400 card with shared memory (ram) and the higher-end ones have the 9600GT that packs its own 512 mb of video memory. I have the 17 inch and have no issue at all with lagging waveforms. I haven't tested it though on the "battery saver" setting which would switch the 9400 card you fellas with the 13-inch pros are using. I'll give that a go later today.
Hawk 3:47 PM - 26 November, 2009
Well, it turns out I do get a very slight little jerky motion in the waveforms every five seconds, even when running my MBP with the 9600GT card in use. I'd never noticed that before! (I'm old school - I load a track, maybe check the bpm value and it's all ears and turntables from there). It's only a very slight warbling on mine that you have to really look closely to detect.
DjHelios 7:05 PM - 26 November, 2009
Hey Hawk. I have noticed this little issue with all new macbook pros from the 13inch 15inch and 17inch. My dj friends have different macs. When I purchased my second mac the 13 inch 4 gigs, before I did that, I tested out a 17 inch mac book pro and same issue, so after I figured out that it did not have anything to do with that, I went with the 13 inch for the simple reason that it was a little more convenient for me than the 17inch.
I am a mobile dj, so i have a 19inch rack case, and my computer is in front of me. Its not really a big deal bc its only cosmetic, but in the beginning, my heart would skip a beat bc i would think my sound was gonna be affected or the music skip. I guess Serato Knows about it but it cost too much money to fix something thats only cosmetic.
Take care guys, have a good Thanksgiving.