Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Ambrosia Soundboard + iTouchmidi = Nice Simple MIDI Drop Sampler Soultion

Dj Beware 9:46 PM - 28 August, 2009
Can't remember the thread but someone pointed out Ambrosia Soundboard somewhere on the forum. I downloaded it last week and I have been fooling around with it, and I am loving it. Then I remembered I had iTouchmidi on my iPhone, I find it to complement ITCH perfectly for my use.

Soundboards interface is simple logical and very easy to work with your drops and or samples and a it seems to use little to no I/O and has a nice small footprint, even the main volume controls can be setup to sit on top of ITCH so you have everything at your finger tips. You can also output the sound directly to the main outputs on the VCI300 so no need to have an extra cables. If you have already have a M-Audio Trigger Finger or Korg Nano Pad or similar MIDI interface I think you will be happy using Soundboard as it is very easily setup with any MIDI interface. Since I have neither I tried iTouchmidi on my iPhone and honestly it works perfectly for me, negligible latency and a fully customizable interface for dropping samples. I am using the iTM Matrix version on my iPhone with allows me to have up to an 8 x 8 configuration of buttons for drops or samples(I use 4 x 4, as 8 x 8 the buttons are a little small for me).

So basically you load you sounds into Soundboard which you literally can just drag and drop on the simple interface, where you can edit them loop ect, and you can have different "boards" that have different samples on each board for different occasions. I setup a private password protected WIFI network between my MAC running iTouchMIDI and my iphone with iTM Matrix on it. Assign each sample to which button I want on the iphone, and route the sound from soundboard directly to the VCI300 or using SOUNDFLOWER, which again is very easily done within Soundboard. So Soundboard and iTouchMIDI just sit in the background and I can trigger samples even out of the DJ booth since its all being done from the wifi connected iPhone, and I had absolutely no issues with ITCH. I know that members here have had issues having WIFI and ITCH play together nicely, but I have never encountered problems, and I run at 1ms latency, while recording most sets directly in ITCH.

Anyway this will be my solution until Serato hopefully comes out with there own sample solution built into ITCH. I pray that it is just as simple and intuitive as Soundboard, as I got this setup done in maybe 20 minutes, it was so easy. I have run this config at 3 gigs already without issue.

I think Soundboard from the looks of it is similar to KUEIT, although I never touched KUEIT before so I really can't comment on it. But Soundboard is only $29 and the iPhone app is $5.99, basically a round of beers for me and my friends, for me definitely well worth it, and if you already have a MIDI controller, your even better off, as you don't need the iPhone and don't need to worry about running WIFI on you Itch setup.

Below is link to a video of Dj Fantom (not sure if its the same one on this forum) using iTM Matrix with Scratch live for selecting songs and Cues, essentially its the same principle, as I don't have a camera to record my setup.

Watchwww.youtube.com

www.itouchmidi.com
www.ambrosiasw.com

By the way I am in no way affiliated with Ambrosia or iTouchMIDI, just a happy DJ customer.
James Roberts 11:33 PM - 28 August, 2009
liking this. good stuff