Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

OSX 10.6 SNOW LEOPARD AND ITCH: REAL WORLD TEST

djcerla 10:01 AM - 28 August, 2009
Just installed on a Unibody Macbook 2.1. The process took about 50 minutes.

The first amazing thing is that the available hard drive space went up from 88.4 to a whopping 103 gigabytes!

ITCH opens normally and the NS7 is recognized.

More after the break.
djcerla 10:11 AM - 28 August, 2009
PS: the speed of Finder and Exposè has dramatically improved. Huge folders now open instantly... everything looks snappier, the actual impression is to be using a much faster computer.

ITCH is working flawlessly, even if it's slightly heavier on the activity bar.

More to follow...
djcerla 11:49 AM - 28 August, 2009
I have a strange thing going on in the Library: songs in a specific crate ("My Remixes") have tripled, I mean that every song appears 3 times, but only 1 of them loads correctly, the other 2 are "ghosts" (file not found). Everything else is perfect.

But this is my 2nd, backup machine, and I use to trash the whole Music folder from time to time and load via wifi the primary machine's Music folder (to keep it updated). It's well possible that this "triplication" had occoured BEFORE updating the OS.

On the performance side of things, ignore my warning on the slightly heavier CPU load. After a closer test I'd say there are no benefits nor disvantages.
robertschon 12:02 PM - 28 August, 2009
here without problems too.
upgraded both my Macbook Pro and Macbook,
Itch works great on both machines.
no issues whatsoever.
kraal 1:10 PM - 28 August, 2009
Quote:
I have a strange thing going on in the Library: songs in a specific crate ("My Remixes") have tripled, I mean that every song appears 3 times, but only 1 of them loads correctly, the other 2 are "ghosts" (file not found). Everything else is perfect.

i had this issue before and it had nothing to due with snow leopared :)
djcerla 1:19 PM - 28 August, 2009
OK thanks mate. Do you know what's happening?
kraal 1:20 PM - 28 August, 2009
nope not at all... but i did do a lot of file moving and rescaning
Cid K 1:40 PM - 28 August, 2009
Yeah i have been testing that since last week. On both Macbook Pro Uniboby 5.1 and Mac Pro 1.1.

Here's the spec's i have:

Macbook Pro Unibody (5.1)

15.inch
CPU: 2.4 ghz
RAM: 4GB (1066 mhz)
HHD: 500GB 16mb cache 720rpm.

Mac Pro (1.1)

CPU: 2 x 2.66 ghz Intel Core Duo Xeon
RAM: 16GB (667 mhz)
HHD: 500GB 16mb cache 7200

I didnt see alot of difference between Snow Leo and Leo on my Macbook Pro. I have set it up the same way with the same amount of music in my librairy and all. Yes it kinda loads abit faster in SSL, cant say the same about Itch. Well actualy Itch was always abit slower to load.

I cant really compare with the Mac Pro dought, since i got a rediculos amount of raw power and ram.

Will keep you guys posted with my findings.

Peace
FutureMedia 3:01 PM - 28 August, 2009
Thank you all. My copy is delivered in about another 2 hours. Will let you know my experience on an early 2008 eight core 2.8GHz Mac Pro with 16GB of RAM as soon as it's installed.
djcerla 3:07 PM - 28 August, 2009
Quote:
eight core 2.8GHz Mac Pro with 16GB of RAM

bugtraq.ru
Cid K 3:09 PM - 28 August, 2009
hehehehehehe funny
FutureMedia 3:14 PM - 28 August, 2009
I'm still in the testing phase of this hardware combo of Itch 1.1 + VCI-300. My 2.6GHz 4GB 17" HD MacBook Pro is still not something I have taken out of mothballs yet. Please forgive my overpowered testing machine.
FutureMedia 3:21 PM - 28 August, 2009
Would you all please test how Itch + VCI-300 performs when you boot into the 64-bit kernel by holding down the 6 + 4 keys during the boot instead of the 32-bit kernel. Thanks in advance for your reports.
Cid K 3:43 PM - 28 August, 2009
Yeah i will try that actually when i get home. Thanks for the heads up i didnt actually though about doing it 64bit mode that is a great idea.

Will keep you guys posted.

Cheers
wadup 10:14 PM - 28 August, 2009
Quote:

But this is my 2nd, backup machine, and I use to trash the whole Music folder from time to time and load via wifi the primary machine's Music folder (to keep it updated). It's well possible that this "triplication" had occoured BEFORE updating the OS.

On the performance side of things, ignore my warning on the slightly heavier CPU load. After a closer test I'd say there are no benefits nor disvantages.

i'm haing the same issue also, how do you get rid of the extra files
FutureMedia 10:20 PM - 28 August, 2009
No problems over here in California. Everything is just zippier.
wadup 12:28 AM - 29 August, 2009
I'M DEFINATELY HAVING ISSUES with snow leopard my crates, even if i rescan the library it's coming up in triples
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:30 AM - 29 August, 2009
whats the word with using external HD any lag or increase in speed?
FutureMedia 1:09 AM - 29 August, 2009
My library is all in iTunes on a HD sitting in a Quad G5 server on the network. No triplets.
DJ Oasys 2:05 AM - 29 August, 2009
Just installed snow leopard. My activity bar reaches the critical red during test play. Never experienced more than 20% when using the Leopard OS with both decks working. I will keep you guys posted.
wadup 3:06 AM - 29 August, 2009
problem solved, just install itch again. now my files are the way they should be
DJ Oasys 3:55 PM - 29 August, 2009
Itunes library will not load, cannot use itch. Itch not responding. Big problem.
FutureMedia 4:13 PM - 29 August, 2009
My iTunes library installed same as usual and it's not even located on this computer. I have my iTunes library running in a 1.5TB HD on a Quad G5 on the network. This Mac Pro's iTunes looks to it for all its content. Try reinstalling Itch like wadup did.
DJ Oasys 4:53 PM - 29 August, 2009
Thanks. I re-installed Itch and actually what made the difference I deleted the scratch folder and itch run without a problem. CPU meter back to 10-20%. All is well from here.
Cid K 7:28 PM - 29 August, 2009
See it couldnt be cause of Snow Leopard.... It's not actually a REAL new OS but a Enhencement to the old one. A more polished version.
djcerla 7:35 PM - 29 August, 2009
No. It's totally rewritten for the ground up, even if it LOOKS like 10.5.
dave412 8:46 PM - 29 August, 2009
Quote:
No. It's totally rewritten for the ground up, even if it LOOKS like 10.5.

yeah. i think even all the common apps in OSX were re written. I bought SL but just waiting for the official support for SL.
djcerla 3:25 AM - 30 August, 2009
Yes. For example, the Finder, a rather important application, is now finally written in Cocoa 64 bit. That's why it is way snappier than 10.5.

Bottom line on Snow Leopard: this OS is a milestone for Apple, as it provides a strong, future-proof foundation. The minimalistic way it was launched, and the too-cheap-to-say-no price, together with Steve Jobs' words (we want everyone to upgrade to SL), show the strategy behind it. The real, disruptive advantages that SL will provide will be clear in the future, namely when third party apps will embrace the new underlying technologies.
kraal 7:24 AM - 30 August, 2009
ran it last night no hick ups
DJdaveZ 7:00 PM - 30 August, 2009
djcerla... do you have three hard drives where your music is stored? like maybe your mac hd, bootcamp hd and an external, or mac hd and two externals? or maybe a jump drive with an external hd and your mac hd? maybe that messed with the db somehow...

did reinstalling itch work ok for you to get rid of this problem?
djcerla 9:45 PM - 30 August, 2009
I just use the internal HD. but it's just my backup machine and the problem is not critical, so I'm just waiting for the official Serato release for 10.6.

I cant upgrade on my primary computer, as I have tons of plugins and audio apps which don't officially support 10.6 yet.
DanielB 11:53 AM - 31 August, 2009
Quote:
Thanks. I re-installed Itch and actually what made the difference I deleted the scratch folder and itch run without a problem. CPU meter back to 10-20%. All is well from here.

Sometimes when you update Snow leopard an directly start ITCH the resource meter goes up, because MAC OSX is building up the Spotlight search completly new!
For me it works perfect now.
zanda 12:15 PM - 31 August, 2009
... just installed snow leopard.. uni body mbp.... same triples problem as everyone... fixed with a re-install of itch 1.1...WIN....gonna test later
DJCheLu 6:10 PM - 31 August, 2009
I have a question :) What version itunes are you guys using with snow and itch? I havent upgraded since 8.2 because i saw people having issues with itch or ssl reading it.
FutureMedia 6:23 PM - 31 August, 2009
Of you don't keep everything updated stuff goes out of whack. I'm thinking 8.2.1 is current - I'm on my iPhone. Next Wednesday September 9 we're likely to get iTunes 9.0. Big new iPods press conference in Sam Francisco that morning 10am Pacific. Video of it at Apple.com that afternoon. Put it on your calendar.
zanda 12:13 PM - 2 September, 2009
it works fiiiiiine... use the latest itunes, snow leopard and the latest itch... to solve the tripples problem all you have to do is reinstall itch... all your crates will still be there. and all works perfect... 10 hours of test so far