Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Video-SL 1.1 Quartz Composer Support

Serato
Nathan H 11:53 PM - 2 April, 2009
One of the new features of 1.1 is support for Quartz Compositions which is the format that Mac screensavers, iTunes visualizers (at least 3rd party ones) are written in. Mix Emergency also supports this format.

As I've said in a few of the release notes I intended to create a few examples and upload them for those interested to check out and see how they work & how to create them.

To that end I've packaged up a few here: serato.com . This includes a pdf of part of a presentation I did in the office to explain how these things work and 16 compositions. These compositions are *not* mine or Serato's, they are modified versions of other's compositions and I don't pretend otherwise.

The compositions contained are as follows:

Examples from Apple:
Apple.qtz
Arabesque.qtz (is one of the screensavers)
Circles.qtz
Cube.qtz
RSS Feed.qtz (yes! you can now scratch RSS feeds)
Text Movement Demo.qtz (an easy way to get text effects)

Demos from the presentation:
simple.qtz (a rotating vsl icon that shows a simple way to make a workable composition)
speakers.qtz (real simple composition that shows how to hook audio info up to elements)

Compositions from the web modified to react to VSL: (from www.quartzcompositions.com)
AudioLines2.qtz
AudioSpectrumMask.qtz
Lines Position.qtz
rainbow.qtz (the period is 2 beats based on the pitched bpm)
wings visualizer.qtz

Compositions modified from ME to react to VSL:
AudioSpectrum_VSL.qtz
Heartbeat Velocity_VSL.qtz
Heartbeat Velocity_VSL 2.qtz (same as above but uses system time instead of song time)

NB: This is Mac OS only. It should work in both Tiger and Leopard but will be significantly faster in Leopard (they changed things so I can render directly to an OpenGL context shared with the rest of VSL)
Serato
Nathan H 12:04 AM - 3 April, 2009
A note about the Mac only nature of this feature:
There is and will likely never be QC support for windows from us or anyone else as it is built directly on top of the Mac OS Core graphics layer. If there *was* an equivalent for Windows I'd do that too, but there isn't...

As I see it VSL has 2 major software competitors: Virtual DJ and Mix Emergency. Mix Emergency is Mac only and one of its major features is support for QC. So we are directly competing and I'm not going to let platform constraints stop me from doing that.

We will continue to work on PC performance (VSL 1.1 sees a ~20% decrease in resources) but our competitors are focused on just one of the 2 platforms and thus have a major advantage.

For those that are interested, there is a less user friendly but equally as powerful cross-platform technology called 'FreeFrameGL' (freeframe.sourceforge.net) which, while I don't promise anything, I am looking at...
AKIEM 2:14 AM - 3 April, 2009
cool!
Dj Ace 5:29 AM - 3 April, 2009
You are the man Nathan...do you ever sleep?
DVDjHardy 7:30 AM - 3 April, 2009
Just tried in offline mode...

SO FREAKING AWESOME!!! :)
DVDjHardy 7:31 AM - 3 April, 2009
Best part is that effects work just like any other video!
DVDjHardy 7:34 AM - 3 April, 2009
OK, video overlay....THIS IS NEXT LEVEL!!! There is a slight lag, but it will be nice to have the camera focused on your mixer/tables and broadcast that with whatever video is being played!
Serato
Nathan H 8:52 AM - 3 April, 2009
yeah. the vid overlay is just a proof of concept. There will be a better way of doing that in the future :-)
DjBlaze 9:36 AM - 3 April, 2009
For Now Just Grab a V-4
DjBlaze 10:03 AM - 3 April, 2009
What Am I doing wrong here ? Nothing moves in the quicktime movie window.
djfaq 1:22 PM - 3 April, 2009
wow it's amazing !!
works smoothly on my mbp, simple and friendly..
djpuma_gemini 6:39 PM - 3 April, 2009
Testing now
SUBSTANCE 8:00 AM - 4 April, 2009
Pretty dam slick.
The ones that react to the audio (as opposed to only record control) are awesome for adding to existing songs. I'll take as many of those as you got!
A ton of songs suit rolling visuals far better than a blingatron video...
Plus I'd rather play high quality audio files with attached graphics than edit existing music videos & de-muxing because of god awful audio.

Questions...
Does the Apple.qtz move or is it static?
Can you change the colour on the Audio Spectrum Mask?
SUBSTANCE 8:04 AM - 4 April, 2009
oh, and the webcam didn't turn off on my MacBook after I'd finished with the vid overlay effect.
DVDjHardy 8:20 AM - 4 April, 2009
Quote:
oh, and the webcam didn't turn off on my MacBook after I'd finished with the vid overlay effect.

www.geico.com Haha!

Substance, let me know if you need more...I got you covered until Nathan and nik39 come up with stuff to make me look like a noob.
djfaq 2:34 PM - 4 April, 2009
hey, I played with the video stuff, managed to sync the beats and the faders to the video camera input !
a-swift 5:30 PM - 4 April, 2009
Has everyone been able to get the quartz composer compositions to work? I can't get any of them show anything but a white screen. Any clues?
a-swift 5:36 PM - 4 April, 2009
oh i think i have to be on 11020, nevermind. trying again.
D-Twizzle 6:07 PM - 4 April, 2009
working good here
djfaq 6:30 PM - 4 April, 2009
Quote:
Has everyone been able to get the quartz composer compositions to work? I can't get any of them show anything but a white screen. Any clues?

Try to drag them into a crate, then drag to the running track video screen or use CMD + alt + direction.
a-swift 1:54 AM - 7 April, 2009
rocked some quartz compositions all weekend. working very well.
FDW 11:22 AM - 7 April, 2009
good idea but with a few files my framerate breaks down (5 fps) :(
DjBlaze 11:39 AM - 7 April, 2009
Works for now
PopRoXxX 12:51 AM - 8 April, 2009
Quote:
For those that are interested, there is a less user friendly but equally as powerful cross-platform technology called 'FreeFrameGL' (freeframe.sourceforge.net) which, while I don't promise anything, I am looking at...

Thanks Nathan! +111

I don't have a Mac *yet* and these quartz compostions sound freakin' amazing. I'm jealous, but I know if there's something for PC out there, I have full confidence that you'll find it and hook us PC users up. ;-)
radikarl 10:29 AM - 8 April, 2009
it would be nice to have a list of keywords for serato input to quartz files.
like for example

what does "kSSV_SeratoDataOutputLevel" exactly give to the qtz? main output? output of the channel the video is mapped to? need documentation :-)

well these are obvious

kSSV_SeratoDataUpfader
kSSV_SeratoDataOtherUpfader

right now, i cannot see a preview in quartz composer, cause the input variables only exist when playing the file in scratch live.
i would like to do some composition with the >system sound< and maybe >keyboard or trackpad movement<, for preview in quartz
and when i'm happy with it, i would like to change the inputvariables so it works in SL

i'm just starting to understand everything regarding quartz, but as far as i can tell by now, i see that there is a lot of things that could be done with this. dynamic visuals, which change with the sound and every move you make on the mixer.
but to do that, we need to know the variables names.

it could even become possible to make an independent visuals plugin which could be controlled simultaneously to VSL,

an alternative to this would be to make a video and effects sampler plugin, similar to arkaos, but in QUARTZ.
that is controlled by some external midi device
the advantage is, that the result would be "video" that VSL can associate to an audio file.
then, every track with no video could use this plugin and you could create your visuals on the fly
i don't understand enugh of quartz yet, but im playing with "quartonian" right now, will see if i can change the triggers from keyboard to midi.
anyways, access to TTM57 controls for quartz files would be really nice.
Serato
Nathan H 11:24 AM - 8 April, 2009
Have you checked the pdf file in the example zip file in the first post? It has a list of all variables....
radikarl 1:29 PM - 8 April, 2009
oops i didn't see that. will check :-)
thank you, nathan!
in the meantime i managed to trigger quartonian with a midi keyboard, but only while i ran it in quartz composer.
it does not work in Video SL
any ideas what could be the reason for this?
radikarl 3:29 PM - 8 April, 2009
another question:
ist it possible to give data from the ttm57 SL panel to QTZ files?
like for example joystick movement or rotary knob turning?
radikarl 3:34 PM - 8 April, 2009
and another ting... sorry :-)
i noticed that the "Wing visualization" has a mouse controlled part
just like the midi triggering, that part is not forwarded trough serato either. it is just ignored.
assumably because the controls are used in serato to scroll for example in the library.
it would be really nice to have a switch in serato to decide wheter the HIDs control serato or the quartz file.
is there anything you can do??
i don't care too much for the mouse part, but i think the ability to forward midi controls to quartz would be great!!
radikarl 3:57 PM - 8 April, 2009
digging deeper :-) ....
i would need the member variables of each data point which itsself is a structure and not just a primitive.
for example
kSSV_SeratoDataOutputFFTBins
contains a lot of stuff but the only way i have right now to find out is by watching the examples and guess but not everything is self explanatory
radikarl 9:41 AM - 16 April, 2009
bump
djcrap 6:35 PM - 28 April, 2009
Quote:
OK, video overlay....THIS IS NEXT LEVEL!!! There is a slight lag, but it will be nice to have the camera focused on your mixer/tables and broadcast that with whatever video is being played!

Quote:
yeah. the vid overlay is just a proof of concept. There will be a better way of doing that in the future :-)

yea i found a better way here

www.serato.com
itchie 8:56 AM - 18 May, 2009
i made a LIVE_Feed_qtz file that takes a feed from my dv camera and renders it full screen. the qtz works great in serato for a bit but then i start dropping frames on the feed and the other videos playing until the feed/video stops playing all together. i'd really like to get a live feed working IN serato. any ideas on how to get this smoother?

and djcrap, the PIP app flickers when it's over the VSL output window. have you run into this?
djcrap 9:50 PM - 18 May, 2009
Quote:
i made a LIVE_Feed_qtz file that takes a feed from my dv camera and renders it full screen. the qtz works great in serato for a bit but then i start dropping frames on the feed and the other videos playing until the feed/video stops playing all together. i'd really like to get a live feed working IN serato. any ideas on how to get this smoother?

and djcrap, the PIP app flickers when it's over the VSL output window. have you run into this?

yea this is how to fix the flickering!

after launching the application go to the drop down menu bar and click set up video device and then go to compression and select apple vc h. 263

note this is important cause it avoids the pip application out put window from flashing in the back ground after being laid over on top to the the vsl out put window
djcrap 9:55 PM - 18 May, 2009
on the compression type scroll down to apple vc h.263 then click ok after and that will stop the flickering
itchie 2:55 AM - 19 May, 2009
works great thanks!
Dj Ace 6:18 AM - 4 June, 2009
Is it possible to display .qtz compositions in 16:9?
Serato
Nathan H 10:13 PM - 4 June, 2009
Short answer: not really

Long answer: yes but it is a bit more complicated than that. QTZ files don't have dimensions so as a program that displays them, Video-SL doesn't know if they should be square, 4:3, 16:9 or whatever... Because it is more efficient to use squares or 2:1 we use squares which can then be cut to size by using the media options (i.e. center-cut).
Dj Ace 12:51 AM - 5 June, 2009
ic....it makes sense to do it that way...sense i have you 'on the phone' Nathan are there anymore .qtz comps on the way from you guys? Are is this something you but in for mostly user created content?
Dj Ace 12:52 AM - 5 June, 2009
I dont understand what i typed ...LOL

Or is this just something you Put in VSL for users to create there own content?
Serato
Nathan H 2:28 AM - 5 June, 2009
It is more for users to create their own content and while I'm not sure if/when we will have more example compositions it is a good idea :-)
Dj Ace 5:37 AM - 5 June, 2009
No time to write .qtz compositions...I only have time to practice 3-4 hours ;)
Dj Ace 5:39 AM - 5 June, 2009
maybe would could purchase full fledged tools (not examples) from you guys to help with the development cost?
KMXE 2:35 AM - 22 June, 2010
Quote:
Short answer: not really

Long answer: yes but it is a bit more complicated than that. QTZ files don't have dimensions so as a program that displays them, Video-SL doesn't know if they should be square, 4:3, 16:9 or whatever... Because it is more efficient to use squares or 2:1 we use squares which can then be cut to size by using the media options (i.e. center-cut).

to get an update - has this changed since this post? i would really like to see widescreen versions of the QTZ files.
AKIEM 4:59 AM - 22 June, 2010
I have a hard time fully understanding the way it works - but QTZ files dont have a 16:9 or 4:3 designation to them. The backgrounds are "infinite planes" so if you had a supper wide screen the background or some of the other 'infinite' elements would render across the whole screen. So the qtz will fill the entire screen, no mater what format.

(I think)
KMXE 2:08 AM - 25 June, 2010
yea i think i get what you're saying about how QTZ dont have an aspect ratio to them

but whenever i load up the qtz in VSL all i get is a square output and i thought with the above post that it was a VSL setting that restricted it to a square output.

do your qtz files in VSL come out square or does it fill the screen?
AKIEM 5:36 PM - 25 June, 2010
I dont know the answer to that.
KMXE 11:40 AM - 27 June, 2010
i cant believe i didnt try this before...... change the setting in VSL to Centre-cut (under media treatment) and it fills the screen output.... 'd'oh'

i guess aspect ration doesnt matter to me anymore!
KMXE 11:45 AM - 27 June, 2010
actually - it still kinda matters as obviously centre cut affects all other videos
AKIEM 2:44 PM - 27 June, 2010
word

(we need more data points!)
radikarl 10:33 AM - 27 August, 2010
you can write your compositions in a way that they always fit the screen. but you have to do it for each and every one.
example:
in the quartz composer, highligt a billboard (or sprite) patch
then klick on the patch inspector button in the upper right
one of the tabs from the dropdown allows you to change imaage behavior.
by telling the billboard patch to have auto height instead of auto width, you can ensure it goes from to to bottom
then set heigth to "2"
that way it should reach from bottom to top

if you tell the billboard patch to have both values, widh and height, and set them both to "2"
then the qtz gets streched, so it always fits without cropping but it becomes stretched if necessary. good for ambient visuals, bad for images that have a dimension.

don't know if this is what you want though.
radikarl 10:33 AM - 27 August, 2010
and +1 to AKIEM.
Quote:

(we need more data points!)
4:30 AM, 8 Sep 2010
Discussion moved to Video-SL General Discussion
KMXE 1:25 AM - 28 February, 2011
*bump*
Dj Ace 3:20 AM - 28 February, 2011
has anybody created some of these for video sl?
Code:E 12:31 AM - 6 October, 2011
*BUMP* i wish i new about this long ago.... cant wait to get home and try it out... Anybody out there doing this????? and where to i find QUARTZ?
DJBIGWIZ 2:25 AM - 6 October, 2011
I will probably be showing/using some Quatrz Compositions at NAMM 2012.
Been messing with quartz for a while but tryin to up my game a bit now.
There are a few cats on the forum who have made some pretty ill stuff.

Get ready for some learning though. (if you want to get nice with it anyway)
It's not a DJ or VJ program. It's a developers tool so if you go into it thinking it's some kind of VJ/DJ type program you are gonna be confused.... you will probably be confused (a bit) anyway.

I've heard some guys tell people who are looking to get into editing and making their own content etc... that they should get into QC and that it's easy. That's a little misleading.
As a programing tool, it's easy (or at least easier than a lot of others) but as just a program or something in general, it's probably not going to be that easy for most or at least a lot of people to just jump in to. Especially beginners.

You should however be able to learn how to make some very basic/simple stuff pretty easily but it will most likely be the kind of content the majority of newbs will be making. It's not for someone who doesn't want to have to read, think, research or invest any amount of time for themselves to learn smething... like the guys who post questions in the forum like... "hey i have SSL and want to know if my particular midi controller will work with it or not" well, if you are one of those guys who are just too damn lazy to take all of 1 to 2 mins to open your laptop, start SSL, plug in your MIDI controller, click on the MIDI tab, click on a feature and press a button on your controller and see if it works or not for yourself... don't even waste your time. Instead, spend all of that time and more by reading all of this and then thinking of a great, clever response to properly tell me off and then compose it and keep coming back, checking, reading and responding to it for the next week or so and tell me how you are sooooo busy, you don't have the extra 2-3 mins time to spare testing your MIDI controller.

Sry... haha just had to get that out and try to dead a few issues before they start but... I know it wont really help... idiots will be idiots.... that's why they are idiots. Bring it on idiot brigade.

But YEAH, Quartz Composer is a great and powerful tool if you invest time into learning it and can push yourself to be creative and think outside the box.
Code:E 3:30 AM - 6 October, 2011
Im no expert but i have done programming in the past in C++ and other stuff in school. Im pretty good at stuff like that so, i dont think i will have a problem. How do i get Quartz Composer? I though at first it was built into my mac (and yes im a mac noob, give me a pc and i will run circles around most people) I did a quick google for it, but im not finding the program.
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:55 AM - 6 October, 2011
It's on the install disc for your OS
Eskei83 5:37 AM - 6 October, 2011
I use Quartz in my sets for a long time and the possibilities are endless.
AKIEM 5:39 AM - 6 October, 2011
Quote:
DJBIGWIZ 6:33 AM - 6 October, 2011
Quote:
DJBIGWIZ 6:53 AM - 6 October, 2011
Quote:
Im no expert but i have done programming in the past in C++ and other stuff in school. Im pretty good at stuff like that so, i dont think i will have a problem.

well you are obviously not the demographic I am referring to. But there are a lot of guys who are square one beginners at not only new to working with code programs but video editing and/or graphics in general. The larger percentage of people are not very tech savvy. That's not to say they are dumb, slow or that the ones who are tech savvy are better... it's just that that's not THEIR thing. Everybody is good at something. And even if somebody IS a tech savvy genius, that doesn't mean they are going to also be creative and can come up with great ideas and ways to cleverly incorporate those skills... so now we are talking about an even smaller percentile. A lot of people don't even know what QC is... they heard about it in relation to VSL or ME and think it's some kind of dedicated VJ software or editing suite.
Again, I'm sure pretty much anyone can learn to make some easy, basic stuff and the more you want to put into it, the more you're probably gonna get out of it but a lot of people are not that motivated. I'm not trying to discourage anyone form looking into this at all. I just want people to know that if they are new to this that they are probably not gonna just jump right in and start making all kinds of amazing stuff and understand that from the start so they don't look at it and get discouraged. But, like my previous scenario, if you are a guy that has a piece of equipment in front of you and you want to know if it can do something and you come to the forum to ask somebody else if your equipment can do this or that instead of taking an ounce of initiative and trying it out for your self.... QC is not gonna be for you.
Code:E 7:02 AM - 6 October, 2011
Quote:

now where the fuck did i put that disk....
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

now where the fuck did i put that disk....
Quote:

No where the fuck did i put that disk.
Quote:

so got any videos of what your doing live or anything?
Eskei83 9:02 AM - 6 October, 2011
I heard that Joachim Gerraud is using it for his live show.

serato.com

www.djtechtools.com
radikarl 9:18 AM - 6 October, 2011
here you find a collection of examples. serato.com
Code:E 9:59 PM - 6 October, 2011
Question is there a way to send the video from each deck in VSL via syphon (or syphon via quartz) to a 3rd party VJ software. Last night i got ME to send each decks video to 2 channels in Arkaos Grand VJ. Can Video SL do the same?
Dj Ace 4:54 AM - 7 October, 2011
Big Wiz....hem ...when you finish YOUR Quarts Compositions I need them...ASAP. Also if its not too much to ask customized with DJ ACE effects ;)...
Dj Ace 4:55 AM - 7 October, 2011
and graphics
DJBIGWIZ 10:52 PM - 11 October, 2011
Ace, check your PM
Dj Ace 2:58 AM - 12 October, 2011
LOL... ummm ok
Dj Ace 2:58 AM - 12 October, 2011
ahh ok ic it...you are the MAN!
Dj matty k 5:23 AM - 12 October, 2011
Hello there i have downloaded the file and a few qtz files but where do i have to put these files for it to work etc and does it matter where i put the main folder cheers
Code:E 6:50 AM - 12 October, 2011
I would makea folder and put all the qtz's you collect in it. then makea create in SSL, add the qtz's to it, then drag the qtz over a none video file just like you would link a video to some track without video. and BAM! your good.
Dj matty k 11:46 AM - 12 October, 2011
Ok thats cool i was just confussed with the run thats html file everytime you use them so the qtz files are independent to another part of the folder ?
Dj matty k 12:42 PM - 12 October, 2011
Where do i put the continuous fold and what sort of movie do i put in that folder aswell ?
radikarl 12:47 PM - 12 October, 2011
seems you are referring to my composition "continuous movie"
serato.com
this is only intended for occasions where you want to show a full movie without interruptions, while the audio files you play are constantly changing.

i would propose we discuss it over there ;-)

Cheers
Dj matty k 1:06 PM - 12 October, 2011
Oh right i see now makes sence now cheers :-)
Code:E 11:57 PM - 17 October, 2011
Anybody know where someone could get some free (or paid for if there good) Quartz compostions that work well with ME?
djpuma_gemini 3:47 AM - 18 October, 2011
Quote:
Anybody know where someone could get some free (or paid for if there good) Quartz compostions that work well with ME?

yes please
placido 10:16 AM - 19 October, 2011
Quote:

Looking for that as well, and I'm ready to pay for it.
Dj Ace 2:13 AM - 20 October, 2011
+1
radikarl 4:29 PM - 20 October, 2011
serato.com some of them sure work for ME as well, some could be changed so they work easily...

other than that.
what are you looking for?
tomatoslice 9:50 PM - 20 October, 2011
i want clouds and various types of ambient running in the dark or black areas of any video playing whilst changing colors to make it "psychedelic".
Code:E 9:59 PM - 20 October, 2011
that one sounds cool :)

@radikarl i responded to your question in another thread.
Dj Ace 1:12 AM - 21 October, 2011
Quote:
i want clouds and various types of ambient running in the dark or black areas of any video playing whilst changing colors to make it "psychedelic".

hell yeah!
DJGongshow 4:27 PM - 1 September, 2012
read radikarl's tips on how to get qtz to fill the screen, but I'm having trouble getting it to work... don't want to center-cut because it affects all videos

there is also custom size option in qc, but regardless of setting 16:9, 1920:1080 i still get square output in serato video.

considering you can set the qc viewer to whatever size and aspect ratio you want, is there a better way of getting full screen output in more recent versions of serato video?
Solomonic 6:07 PM - 21 November, 2012
^ bump. having same problem as everyone else with this.
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 8:36 PM - 21 November, 2012
Hey Guys,

When a Quartz file is imported in to Serato Video and displayed it's resolution is a defined 2048 x 2048, therefore a square pixel Aspect Ratio.

"Quartz files don't have pixel dimensions. Instead, all measures are relative. The visual area can be seen as three dimensional space, where each dimension is infinite. The visible area on the X and Y axis goes from -1 to +1, so (0,0) is the center of the screen."

The Quartz Viewer is just that a Viewer, you can adjust the size of the viewer but the composition still adheres to a 1 x 1 pixel ratio.

Once you have imported the composition into Serato Video you could always use the Zoom video effect to resize the composition to fit.

There may be another solution If I have any further tips I will let you know.

All the best,

Anthony
Alex Signorini 8:36 PM - 23 November, 2012
may publish a guide on how to program the camera input with quartzcomposer and manage everything with serato video? thanks
Serato, Support
Martin C 1:58 AM - 25 November, 2012
Hey Alex,

We are currently working on getting something up on the website to explain this process a little further, but this could be a good place to start if you are looking for more information on Quartz: www.iloveqc.org
DJGongshow 11:11 AM - 5 December, 2012
need the ability to center cut only quartz files without affecting other videos aspect ratio
radikarl 7:24 PM - 5 December, 2012
Quote:
you can write your compositions in a way that they always fit the screen. but you have to do it for each and every one.
example:
in the quartz composer, highligt a billboard (or sprite) patch
then klick on the patch inspector button in the upper right
one of the tabs from the dropdown allows you to change imaage behavior.
by telling the billboard patch to have auto height instead of auto width, you can ensure it goes from to to bottom
then set heigth to "2"
that way it should reach from bottom to top

if you tell the billboard patch to have both values, widh and height, and set them both to "2"
then the qtz gets streched, so it always fits without cropping but it becomes stretched if necessary. good for ambient visuals, bad for images that have a dimension.

don't know if this is what you want though.
DJGongshow 2:23 AM - 15 December, 2012
No matter what settings I choose in quartz and save, I get a square output in the center of a 16:9 screen. Zoom effect zooms the content inside the square window rather than filling the screen

Is there a sample composition someone's had success with in filling a 16:9 screen?
DJGongshow 4:49 PM - 24 December, 2012
Only way I can see to fill the screen is center-cut or letterbox, but then 4:3 videos are severely cropped. For now I'll have to convert those to 16:9 in Final Cut to preserve aspect ratio.
radikarl 11:54 PM - 24 December, 2012
you could create a quartz file that
Quote:
Is there a sample composition someone's had success with in filling a 16:9 screen?

i just made this... it's probably not perfect but might be a starting point

cheers.
radikarl 11:55 PM - 24 December, 2012
DJGongshow 11:57 PM - 1 January, 2013
Would you be interested in doing some custom work? I have some purchased compositions I'd like adapted for use with Serato Video to react to the beat marker rather than audio input.

If so, what are your rates?
radikarl 9:20 AM - 6 February, 2013
pm me what what you would want ;)

though, the beatgrid is not visible in Quartz Files as far as i know :(
AKIEM 3:35 PM - 6 February, 2013
its not :(
SeriousCyrus 7:44 AM - 7 February, 2013
There's beat1 and beat2 in ME, there must be an equivalent in serato video. It's a float that just counts up in time, each whole number is on the beat.
AKIEM 9:03 AM - 7 February, 2013
Quote:
There's beat1 and beat2 in ME, there must should be an equivalent in serato video. It's a float that just counts up in time, each whole number is on the beat.
SeriousCyrus 10:30 AM - 7 February, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
There's beat1 and beat2 in ME, there must should be an equivalent in serato video. It's a float that just counts up in time, each whole number is on the beat.

lol. ok.
Fabs 2:11 PM - 26 April, 2013
How can i get the latest version of Quartz Composer ? It's not in the download list on the Apple Developers website. Also the latest Xcode is not available as a package either, only old ones and the downloads don't even work. Any ideas ?

Thanks

Fab
Code:E 5:42 PM - 26 April, 2013
its fucked now, it used to be easy to download. I had to google it to find it with mountain Lion.
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:34 PM - 26 April, 2013
I am not sure if the process has changed again since February, but we documented the steps here in this article: serato.com
phatbob 8:54 PM - 1 May, 2013
It's not in that downloads section for me either. I managed to install the older version from the developer page but the new one is a no-go.
popnwave 11:09 PM - 1 May, 2013
Newest version is only found on the actual App store.
popnwave 11:10 PM - 1 May, 2013
phatbob 11:19 PM - 1 May, 2013
Tried that. QC isn't in it. When you try and add it, you get sent to the same developer page. And it still isn't there.
popnwave 11:23 PM - 1 May, 2013
Wow odd, that's how I added it on my fresh ML install. Everything is in there for me.
phatbob 11:25 PM - 1 May, 2013
It's so weird. Looking at google its a common problem, but no apparent sense as to why some can get it and others can't.
popnwave 11:35 PM - 1 May, 2013
I just double checked the developer site.. it's on there too:

www.dropbox.com
phatbob 11:39 PM - 1 May, 2013
Nowhere to be found on that page for me.

How many things are available when you first hit the downloads page? I have 108.
popnwave 11:44 PM - 1 May, 2013
Tons, 205 for me.. I couldn't find it in the past just browsing, only when I typed "quartz composer" in the search field did it narrow it down for me.
phatbob 11:46 PM - 1 May, 2013
Are you a paid-up developer, rather than just with a free account?
popnwave 11:58 PM - 1 May, 2013
freeeeebie only.
popnwave 12:09 AM - 2 May, 2013
www.dropbox.com

copy of the latest .dmg shown in that pic.
phatbob 12:21 AM - 2 May, 2013
You're a gentleman, Sir. Thanks!
Serato, Support
Martin C 4:48 AM - 2 May, 2013
Nice popnwave! Man, its annoying how Apple have made this hard to get/pretty much unavailable!
SeriousCyrus 12:07 PM - 2 May, 2013
The apple downloads page is *****ed, try opening the page in Safari, that seems to work best.
Sometimes selecting and deselecting the search criteria makes it work in chrome.
Menace 5:55 AM - 23 August, 2013
I wanna create a Quartz file which reacts to Serato.

I have found out so far that "kssV_serato ..." is used but how can I drag that into Quartz composer? Where do I find that?

Is there a tutorial anywhere for it?
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 8:41 AM - 23 August, 2013
Hi Menace,

There is a Quartz Composer tutorial here; serato.com

The kssV_Serato_Song_Name (example) strings are data points in Video SL and Serato Video that Quartz Composer can use in a composition.

This link has a detailed description of the available data points and how they are used in Quartz Composer;mansteri.com

It was created a while back by Masteri for Serato Video-SL some of the same data points apply in Serato Video but not all of them.

I will look at an updated list of available data points if possible.

Cheers
Marc Stretch 1:35 AM - 22 December, 2013
Any update on the available Data Points for SV? I'm trying to start developing a few things, myself.
Menace 2:48 AM - 23 December, 2013
AnthonyS, thanks for your reply. I just saw your answer.
Baird 12:35 AM - 24 December, 2013
Am Software on my Mac is 10.6.8 which download would by the best for Quartz or do I have to update my software?
ediloveqc 1:57 PM - 25 March, 2014
We have loads of qc that is serato friendly and brand new products here www.iloveqc.org, also loads of tutorials if you are having difficulty, and we have video loops!
KoopzLeTroopz 8:46 AM - 23 May, 2014
Great thread! Just got SV and I am playing with all these.
Kyaw Zwaa 3:44 AM - 27 September, 2015
use
SuperShan 4:35 AM - 16 April, 2016
Any reason that a custom patch made with xcode will not work? I've made a very simple one that has only 1 output (a double), and in the execute method I simply set it to a number, say 5.4. Then I make a custom QC composition which displays the number to the video screen. When run in Quartz Composer only, it works great, i see 5.4 displayed. However when I run it in Scratch Live, instead of 5.4, i get HelloWorld!, the default string. Any tricks to getting a custom patch written in objective c to work?