Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

New update on MixEmergency

djrayray0981 6:33 PM - 17 February, 2009
Does anybody here use Mix Emergency?? I have a purchased copy but really was unable to use it because I had MIDI trouble with the UNO product, but I got raid of that and purchased the Roland MIDI which worked great. Was able to Video Mix with My DJM-800. I use Mix Emergency to do so, but their was some video lag, but with their new update, I was advised it fixed that issue. Anyhow, here is some info. Check it out. If you want to check out their Video Demo. Just go to their home page and on the bottom right, they have some Youtube video links for you to check out.

MixEmergency Release Notes
Version 1.1.0
Changes
Added performance recording and exporting. Added transition parameter control. Added several transitions that allow the output window to become transparent when full screen. Added Strobe, Zoom Feedback and Color Tone effects. Added Strobe, Iris, Squeeze H and Squeeze V transitions. Added Bass control mode for effect parameters. Effects presets can now be automatically saved and restored for individual videos. Effects settings are now copied across when loading the same media to both channels. Improved video frame buffering. Improved Grid 2 transition. Improved Crossfader smoothing. Improved debug buffer view. Added easily readable strings to MIDI logging window. Added preference for disabling Crossfader smoothing. The demo version can now enter full screen but is limited to 30 minutes of use. Bug fixes
Fixed m4v loading issues. Fixed MIDI mapping for Position control mode of effect parameters. Fixed a crash when attempting to play a Quartz Compositions at a negative time. Audio linking no longer defaults to loading the closest match. Fixed DV input. Fixed a possible crash when entering invalid license keys. Fixed issues showing and hiding the Info Window. Version 1.0.2
Bug fixes
Fixed bug where option-clicking a MIDI assignable control would not allow MIDI assignment. Version 1.0.1
Changes
You can now drag and drop media from the Media Bank without first focusing on the MixEmergency window. Bug fixes
Fixed text and image overlays on Mac OS X Tiger (10.4). Fixed keyboard shortcut forwarding on Mac OS X Tiger (10.4). Fixed a bug that could trigger keyframe distance warnings on some videos. Fixed frame blending problems with some videos. Fixed a possible crash when entering invalid license keys. Fixed several small memory leaks. Version 1.0.0 Final
Changes
Added the option to disable keyboard shortcuts that conflicted with Scratch Live. Added file and warning logging. Added more robust checks around video decoding. Bug fixes
Fixed bug that would cause MixEmergency to lock when ejecting certain Quartz Compositions. Fixed bug when sending media position data to Quartz Composition published inputs. Fixed a crash that would occur when videos with dimensions 0 x 0 were loaded. Version 1.0.0 Public Beta 3
Changes
Added a new and improved rendering pipeline. Added RGB Offset effect. Added LED effect. Added Film Projector effect. Added new optimised Edges effect. Added Switch transition. Bug fixes
Fixed poor performance when using NVIDIA® GeForce® graphics processors. Fixed MIDI bugs. Fixed bug where the last used transition was not restored at start-up. Fixed Media Bank icon capture bug. Version 1.0.0 Public Beta 2
Changes
Added effect mix control. Added new and improved velocity mapping controls for effect parameters. Improved Crossfader smoothing. Removed smoothing of the effect parameter when controlled by velocity. Added MIDI logging window. Bug fixes
Fixed MIDI assignment bugs. Fixed free memory detection errors that would result in false low memory warnings. Fixed bug where changing the scale control of the position control for effect parameters was not smooth.
nik39 12:21 AM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
Added performance recording and exporting.

Just that single feature raised the bar!

Being able to record your mix with just a little bit of CPU overhead and then render it offline - that's amazing.
djrayray0981 12:30 AM - 18 February, 2009
Serato is already following behide. 1.9 is already outdated. LOL!!
VJ Justin Allen 1:06 AM - 18 February, 2009
It doesn't do MPEG2...sigh
nik39 1:14 AM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
It doesn't do MPEG2...sigh

Did you follow the technical details?

Using MPEG2 will give you *no audio* in SSL. That's a limitation of SSL.
VJ Justin Allen 1:31 AM - 18 February, 2009
Not true my friend. IF you split the audio/video so that the video is MPEG2 and the audio is Wave then you MIGHT be able to do MPEG2 with the Apple MPEG2 plug-in.

I asked them to look at this over 2 months ago but I guess it didn't make the list.

I think you would just have to link the audio to the video, but I am not sure.
nik39 1:39 AM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
IF you split the audio/video so that the video is MPEG2 and the audio is Wave then

Then... you're not having MPEG2. You're playing back a wav and layer an MPEG video on top. Is that what you really want? Too much hassle IMHO.

Oh and I think their forums says that some MPEG2 vids work. But don't quote me on that.
VJ Justin Allen 11:56 AM - 18 February, 2009
Nik, what's the difference. You still have the same audio quality from the original MPEG2 file. Also the point I was making is that I don't know how Serato handles the linkage between the audio file and the video file.

IF Serato can automatically link the 2 together, then you should have no issues. And have the exactly same quality as the original MPEG2 file pulled from the DVD. You are not transcoding here, just separating the 2 files.

Any Serato mods looking at this thread? Er, I guess that wouldn't want to tell us how to make Mix Emergency work better lol sorry about that. :)
nik39 12:16 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
Nik, what's the difference.

A lot of additional work, and unnecessary maintenance.

Quote:
IF Serato can automatically link the 2 together

It can, that's a feature of VSL and ME as well. But as said... additional work and complexity.

Quote:
And have the exactly same quality as the original MPEG2 file pulled from the DVD.

With the same artifacts like interlaced pictures.
VJ Justin Allen 1:04 PM - 18 February, 2009
Nik, I'll give you the first two without too much of a fight, but the third one...quit taking drugs my friend.

Are you saying that you can take the same DVD source that we all get and wave your magic wand and make all that disappear without losing quality as well.

That comment shows your ignorance about video and I know you are not that dumb.
nik39 1:22 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
Are you saying that you can take the same DVD source that we all get and wave your magic wand and make all that disappear without losing quality as well.

You think this is not possible?

Convert your mpeg2 to a lossless format and apply a ivtc filter. There ya go. I am losing almost no (if at all) quality.

Even if you are not using a lossless format, the artifacts produced by a good target format/codec are by far less compromising that the artifacts from interlaced (technically I mean telecined) video material.
VJ Justin Allen 1:34 PM - 18 February, 2009
It is physically impossible to do what you say and NOT lose quality. The simply act of converting, or transcoding, from one format to another results in that loss happening.

Every time you transcode you are either throwing away pixels or using an algorithm to interpolate what pixel should be there. That process always results in a lower quality than the original image.

Now, there are boxes like the Terranex (that costs $200,000) that will do a fantastic job at that process, but not your average PC/Apple codec that we are all using.

And BTW you can de-interlace MPEG2 on the fly with most graphic cards nowdays, so that shouldn't be a big issue at all.
nik39 1:47 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
It is physically impossible to do what you say and NOT lose quality. The simply act of converting, or transcoding, from one format to another results in that loss happening.

Every time you transcode you are either throwing away pixels or using an algorithm to interpolate what pixel should be there. That process always results in a lower quality than the original image.

Thanks for stating the obvious. Actually you put it in such a general way that it is even wrong now.

However, did you actually read what I wrote?

I just can hope that you did not read what I wrote... otherwise I have to pass the buck back to you - your comment shows your ignorance. ;)

Quote:
And BTW you can de-interlace MPEG2 on the fly with most graphic cards nowdays, so that shouldn't be a big issue at all.

Do you know the difference between de-interlacing and inverse telecining?
nik39 1:48 PM - 18 February, 2009
Oh... and BTW, just before you state the obvious again: I am indeed not an expert at videos. I just have a very very basic understanding of a very few video aspects.
VJ Justin Allen 1:50 PM - 18 February, 2009
I agree with your last statement.
nik39 1:57 PM - 18 February, 2009
You did not answer my questions.
djcrap 3:58 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Added performance recording and exporting.

Just that single feature raised the bar!

Being able to record your mix with just a little bit of CPU overhead and then render it offline - that's amazing.

Quote:
Serato is already following behide. 1.9 is already outdated. LOL!!

woo no doubt i think am already sold! first text overlay and now performance recording and exporting. big props to mixemergency they sue know there ones and zeros and how to use them to listen to their customers future requests!

hmmm i think am gona buy me a copy of mixemergency in the near future lets see what vsl 1.1 has to offer on the table first.
mizu 4:11 PM - 18 February, 2009
why is their site not working
Rebelguy 4:16 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:

The Serato Mafia got to them.
nik39 4:19 PM - 18 February, 2009
VJ Justin Allen, I'm in a good mood today, so I'll do you a favor and give you the answers.
Quote:

That is technically incorrect. Transcoding from one format into another lossy format - you are right. Transcoding doesn't mean necessarily (though in most cases it does) that the target format is lossy.

Since you did not understand this one:
Quote:
Convert your mpeg2 to a lossless format and apply a ivtc filter. There ya go. I am losing almost no (if at all) quality.

I am going to explain this to you again.

You do not convert into a lossy target format. As said the target format is lossless (huffyuv for example). If you do proper IVTC on this lossless format and you do keep this lossless format you will not "throwing away pixels or using an algorithm to interpolate what pixel should be there".

That was not so complicated, was it?

Quote:

Yes. I said it again.

Now let's get to this one:
Quote:

Since you do not understand the difference between plain deinterlacing and IVTC, you should probably read this one:
en.wikipedia.org <- click, Telecine.
Esp. read the part 2:3 pulldown, and... Telecine judder.

Now you can try simple deinterlacing but this will reduce the output quality.

Again, that was not so complicated, was it?

Last but not least... how would a MPEG2 on the fly with most graphic cards help with VSL?
nik39 4:20 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:

Hm, works fine for me.
VJ Justin Allen 5:32 PM - 18 February, 2009
Nik, quit reading the wiki and trying to make it work for this discussion and your original comments.

You are wrong and you just do not know it. There is no magic wand that will do what you want it to do.

shrug. no matter to me what you think.

Oh wait, I'll explain a simple concept to you. MPEG playback happens 2 different ways. Software or hardware. IF the software is being used to play it out, then you have CPU hits and bus issues. IF the hardware is being used to play it out then you do not have CPU and bus issues.

One of the reasons that Serato doesn't have MPEG yet is because of the hit to system performance that would happen. (Yes, there are other reasons as well but thats a big one). They know that there is no mpeg playback card for the mac laptops at this time.

Now, Apple has started to turn on H.264 hardware acceleration for playback in some of there newer models and they will help a lot when you start talking about the quality of the video that can be outputted in the future. My guess is that Serato is just going to wait for that to happen.

The bottom line here is that you think that there is a magic wand to make all the output look great and I am telling you there is not. Since I have spent 20 years of my life working with post-production, HD, and cinema work, I think I'll believe me for now.

But you're still a good guy, just wrong.
skinnyguy 7:32 PM - 18 February, 2009
reading up a bit on ME...

looks like they got an easter egg too? if i understand correctly, it's for supporting a live cam feed...primarily with the webcam on a mbp but also with other cams connected to it. presently only works with certain types of cams tho, for now...

so if INKLEN CAN DO IT....so can SERATO.

would be nice for nathan to get text and background overlays too...but that probably won't be until 1.2 at the earliest
nik39 8:28 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:
reading up a bit on ME...

looks like they got an easter egg too? if i understand correctly, it's for supporting a live cam feed...primarily with the webcam on a mbp but also with other cams connected to it. presently only works with certain types of cams tho, for now...

so if INKLEN CAN DO IT....so can SERATO.

would be nice for nathan to get text and background overlays too...but that probably won't be until 1.2 at the earliest

Out of fairness we have to mention things are a bit less complicated for Inklen since they just have to care about one platform - Mac. There is no Windows support.
djcrap 8:43 PM - 18 February, 2009
nik39 i bet you that all those features like text overlay and recording video can be implemented if vsl was for mac only just like inklen has it. but the problem is they don't wanna make if only for one platform because out of fairness all the pc fun boys will whine and there goes your Mac vs Pc world war iv again!
nemix 8:56 PM - 18 February, 2009
well vsl is already bad on most pcs so who cares im buyin a mac so who cares :)
skinnyguy 9:34 PM - 18 February, 2009
nik - true.
VJ Justin Allen 10:56 PM - 18 February, 2009
Quote:

Out of fairness we have to mention things are a bit less complicated for Inklen since they just have to care about one platform - Mac. There is no Windows support.

Very true. However then you get into a position like PCVJ is...just PC support, so you leave out a segment.

But hey, more Mac only programs!!!
skinnyguy 1:27 AM - 19 February, 2009
i thought pcvj just got a mac version? or is it still in beta? or am i thinking of the wrong program...?
DJ Czar 3:26 AM - 19 February, 2009
Quote:
Nik, quit reading the wiki and trying to make it work for this discussion and your original comments.

You are wrong and you just do not know it. There is no magic wand that will do what you want it to do.

shrug. no matter to me what you think.

Oh wait, I'll explain a simple concept to you. MPEG playback happens 2 different ways. Software or hardware. IF the software is being used to play it out, then you have CPU hits and bus issues. IF the hardware is being used to play it out then you do not have CPU and bus issues.

One of the reasons that Serato doesn't have MPEG yet is because of the hit to system performance that would happen. (Yes, there are other reasons as well but thats a big one). They know that there is no mpeg playback card for the mac laptops at this time.

Now, Apple has started to turn on H.264 hardware acceleration for playback in some of there newer models and they will help a lot when you start talking about the quality of the video that can be outputted in the future. My guess is that Serato is just going to wait for that to happen.

The bottom line here is that you think that there is a magic wand to make all the output look great and I am telling you there is not. Since I have spent 20 years of my life working with post-production, HD, and cinema work, I think I'll believe me for now.

Inverse telecine restores the original progressive frames of telecined video, although it's not a magic wand, it's quite effective and delivers quite visually pleasing results. Although the ideal solution would be to to inverse telecine content PRIOR to mpeg2 compression, it's quite possible to do it after. As someone who spent 20 years of his life working with post-production, HD, and cinema work, I am baffled at how and why you are arguing with this. While I agree it is most ideal to not transcode anything and stay with the original delivery format, if you are going to transcode to h.264 anyway, there is absolutely not reason why you should NOT inverse telecine, as the process will produce both visually pleasing results as well as increased compression efficiency. If you've ever worked in a DVD compression and authoring facility, you would be quite familiar with inverse telecine as it's the first process a feature film undergoes prior to being encoded.

Also, MPEG-2 is MUCH LESS CPU intensive than h.264. It is much more difficult to decode h.264 than mpeg-2. VSL's missing mpeg2 implementation is most likely due to QuickTime's poor mpeg2 demultiplexing engine and highly unoptimized mpeg-2 decoder.
VJ Justin Allen 11:09 AM - 19 February, 2009
You are assuming that you have to transcode in the first place and my argument is why? Why take something that has already been squeezed down to shit and make it worse?

And I agree with the playback issues that quicktime has. That's why Apple is working on turning on the H.264 on-board hardware acceleration. This would actually create LESS of a strain on the CPU comparred to where we are now with MPEG or H.264.

And in the authoring world you are NOT starting out with a 6Mbit/s compressed file, you are starting with Beta, DigiBeta, HD or even a transport file with a large bitrate. And yes, in those cases inverse telecine is the right way to go. I am not convinced however that when starting with such a compressed file that doing that actually does anything. You still have way too much destruction happening.
nik39 11:46 AM - 19 February, 2009
Quote:
You are assuming that you have to transcode in the first place and my argument is why? Why take something that has already been squeezed down to shit and make it worse?

No one said so. You said you are starting with MPEG2, I said you can IVTC it without almost any loss.

Again.. transcoding will only degrade the video if the target format is lossy. Esp. IVTC'ing to a lossless format can be done almost w/o any quality loss. You said that this "magical wall" is not possible. Wrong. Since there is no magic.

Even if you are transcoding to a lossy format (such as h.264), as Czar said, there is no reason not to apply additionally the IVTC process since it improves compressibility (which affects quality in the end) etc.

Quote:
And I agree with the playback issues that quicktime has. That's why Apple is working on turning on the H.264 on-board hardware acceleration. This would actually create LESS of a strain on the CPU comparred to where we are now with MPEG or H.264.

You said something very different.

Quote:

Sorry, that's b/s, plain and simple wrong. As Czar said, MPEG2 decoding is a lot less CPU taxing than for example h264 or xvid (both are supported right now). It has nothing to do with mpeg playback cards for the mac laptops not being available. If MPEG2 decoding was so expensive ressource-wise, then why can you buy a DVD player for $20?
Serato has already explained why currently there is no MPEG2 support, and your assumption is simply wrong. Not only technically.

Quote:
I am not convinced however that when starting with such a compressed file that doing that actually does anything. You still have way too much destruction happening.

Since you decided not to answer my questions asked previously, I will answer them for you: Yes, you did not understand the process of IVTC'ing.

Anyway, Czar already told you what is happening. As much as him I am also astonished by the lack of your technical expertise considering the fact that you have been into video/movie for more than 20 years.

Quote:
But you're still a good guy, just wrong.

You're wrong on both ;)
VJ Justin Allen 12:19 PM - 19 February, 2009
Wow you guys just make up your own conclusions based on what I say.

I am amazed that you believe that you can take a severely compressed file and make it "better". You cannot. It is impossible, plain and simple.

I don't know what else to say to convince you of that. The sad part here is that you are misleading others who have no idea what you can or cannot do with video.
VJ Justin Allen 12:22 PM - 19 February, 2009
I just had to come back. MPEG2 in a DVD is on a chip you idiot. You pay a fee and it's a very low cost on a per chip basis, especially when you are selling millions of DVD players. To a company like Serato licensing the MPEG2 MAY be too expensive for them.

There are also issues that the end-user would have to solve. Since every end-user is different, the overal Serato experience will be different with every end-user. Serato wants the best product for all users and therefore may choose not to include something that takes a specific set-up in order to appeal to a broader base.

You really have no f*****g clue do you Nik?
nik39 1:10 PM - 19 February, 2009
Quote:
I just had to come back. MPEG2 in a DVD is on a chip

... and? I didn't say it's not on a chip. If it was not on a chip ... where else would it be? Nowadays these kind of complex circuits are on an IC. To save space, costs and ressources.

All I said is that MPEG2 decoding is not a ressource-costly thing, in contrast to your statement. Decoding MPEG2 can be done efficiently, which means it can be implemented more economically. Makes sense, right?

Quote:
You pay a fee and it's a very low cost on a per chip basis, especially when you are selling millions of DVD players.

Yes. That is surely also one reason why it is cheap.

Quote:
To a company like Serato licensing the MPEG2 MAY be too expensive for them.

Most likely.

Quote:
There are also issues that the end-user would have to solve. Since every end-user is different, the overal Serato experience will be different with every end-user. Serato wants the best product for all users and therefore may choose not to include something that takes a specific set-up in order to appeal to a broader base.

Yes. Definitly. Your statements are so generic that they can't be wrong. Of course it is true that "Serato experience will be different with every end-user" and "Serato wants the best product for all users" and "Serato [...] may choose not to include something that takes a specific set-up in order to appeal to a broader base". That would apply to a lot of products and companies. Common sense.

But... you didn't explain what this has to do with your initial statements about MPEG2 "CPU hits and bus issues" being "a big" reason why Serato has not added MPEG2 support yet... and why IVTC is not a good idea.

How about for a change... you take a minute and research before you go on with posting? As said, Serato has already explained why there is no MPEG2 support right now. Just search the forum and you will quickly see that you and your assumptions and technical explanations are wrong.

Quote:

Of course I do not have a clue. I have previously said that I am a noob when it comes to video. I only know the basics. But this thread reveals that I am definitly not the only (and most likely not the biggest) noob here ;)

One last thing...

Quote:
you idiot.

That was not nice thing to say. You have already proven your lack of technical expertise... now please let's not demonstrate the lack of being able to express your views in a mature way without calling names, I am sure you can do better. I did not call you names and I prefer if you would not call me names. Thanks.
nik39 1:21 PM - 19 February, 2009
Oh and before you start ranting... just to clarify when I said "But this thread reveals that I am definitly not the only (and most likely not the biggest) noob here" I was not trying to say that you are the biggest noob here.
DJ Mad Matt 8:05 PM - 19 February, 2009
<--- has a few color TV's :o)
Djphenominal 11:21 PM - 19 February, 2009
Getting back on track, i am currently using ME with both the denon 4500 / DNX 900 mixer combo with the fader mapped to fade the videos and the djm 800 / cdj 1000 set up also midi mapping the mixer. All works really good, really really good. I have not experienced any lag or crashes because of it. So far, so good.
djrayray0981 11:38 PM - 19 February, 2009
I'm going to the pad tonight to test drive the new update. Did you experience and lag on the videos before the update??
Djphenominal 11:55 PM - 19 February, 2009
No, none at all. What kind of lag are u experiencing ? lag on the start of the song and video in relation to when you start it or lag in reference to the audio and video being out of sync ?
djrayray0981 12:04 AM - 20 February, 2009
The video would freeze up in the begining. The audio would play fine. It would unfreeze, play fine, and then it would freeze up again. But some vidz would play fine and other wouldn't. All the vidz are all encoded the same. So I don't know what the Problem was.... But I’ll find out less tonight with the new update.
Djphenominal 12:05 AM - 20 February, 2009
Good luck. Let me know how it goes.
djrayray0981 12:07 AM - 20 February, 2009
I have tried to record any of your Video Set's yet?
kue 12:11 AM - 20 February, 2009
Quote:
The video would freeze up in the begining. The audio would play fine. It would unfreeze, play fine, and then it would freeze up again. But some vidz would play fine and other wouldn't. All the vidz are all encoded the same. So I don't know what the Problem was.... But I’ll find out less tonight with the new update.

I had that problem with my old macbook and I figured it had to do with the video ram. When I upgraded to a pro I was ok. I'm pretty sure the new macbooks have more than enough video ram to handle it now. I'm trying to help configure a friends old macbook to run ME well. I'll try this new version and see how it goes on his laptop.
djrayray0981 12:15 AM - 20 February, 2009
I have a Macbook Pro. 2.4 with 4gigs of ram and 500GB hard drive. I have no problem when video with Serato. I think I need to re-encode the some of the vidz. That would be a big hassle if I do
kue 12:16 AM - 20 February, 2009
What are your settings in Mixemergency? I know I can run on high but I usually run the quality a notch below the highest setting.
Djphenominal 12:19 AM - 20 February, 2009
I haven't tried recording yet. i want to give it a shot this weekend.
djrayray0981 12:19 AM - 20 February, 2009
I don't have my CPU in front of me, but I think I had the buffer at 1.5
kue 12:23 AM - 20 February, 2009
Yeah I'm checking out my settings and this is what I'm running:

Quality: A notch below the highest setting
Frame Blending
1.5GB caching

This is on a Macbook Pro 2.53 with 4 gigs of ram and 320gb 5400 hd.

Sorry I can't be much of help, I'm such a noob at the video stuff.
djrayray0981 12:26 AM - 20 February, 2009
It's all good. Like i said, going to test drive it out tonight and see what happens.
Djphenominal 12:27 AM - 20 February, 2009
How much RAM on ur video card ? I have my quality setting all the way up.
My specs aren't much higher than urs,
2.6 GHZ processor
4 GB RAM
All media on a external lacie 1 TB HD running through firewire
Djphenominal 12:27 AM - 20 February, 2009
My Video card is 512 MB dedicated
kue 12:28 AM - 20 February, 2009
512 here too
djrayray0981 12:30 AM - 20 February, 2009
Dame, I don't even know? How do I check for this?
kue 12:32 AM - 20 February, 2009
Oh and another thing I wanted to mention, I absolutely love that you can load Quartz Compositions into each deck. Since I primarily want to use this while mixing house, I'm super excited in learning how to make some.

There aren't a lot of dance videos out there and many are really really cheesy, haha.
three 12:32 AM - 20 February, 2009
256 here, but everything runs very smooth!
kue 12:34 AM - 20 February, 2009
Quote:
Dame, I don't even know? How do I check for this?

Click on the apple icon on the top left hand corner of your desktop and select "About This Mac". Click on More Info then select Graphics/DIsplays in the Hardware dropdown in the contents area.
Djphenominal 12:37 AM - 20 February, 2009
Funny u mention the quartz composition, as u typed it i was looking into the folder with all the quartz files.
djrayray0981 12:37 AM - 20 February, 2009
Got'cha, Can you change the setting on that if need to?
Djphenominal 12:41 AM - 20 February, 2009
No, it's the actual ram on ur videocard.
VJ Justin Allen 1:06 AM - 20 February, 2009
A 2.6 Mhz machine will have at least a 256k ram chip on it so you should be fine.
Rebelguy 1:14 AM - 20 February, 2009
Quote:

There aren't a lot of dance videos out there and many are really really cheesy, haha.

Cheesy or not the dance videos have the hottest chicks in them. Eric Prydz "Call On Me" is was old but I love watching the video...haha.
djrayray0981 2:28 AM - 20 February, 2009
Damn, Way off, It's only 2.2 GHz and 128 Video Ram. Shit, time for a upgrade!!
Djphenominal 3:40 AM - 20 February, 2009
That might be the issue, F**K around with the settings in ME b4 u jump out the window and buy another MBP
Rebelguy 5:46 AM - 20 February, 2009
Quote:

I have no problems using Serato VSL with my MBP with the same specs.
kue 6:12 AM - 20 February, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

Cheesy or not the dance videos have the hottest chicks in them. Eric Prydz "Call On Me" is was old but I love watching the video...haha.

Hahah very true!
VJ Justin Allen 12:53 PM - 20 February, 2009
Quote:

You should not have any issues with that set-up.
djrayray0981 4:26 PM - 20 February, 2009
Yeah, it worked fine last night with the new update. I also recorded a quick video mix, but need to play with the settings on that. Couldn't get the sound right and the Video didn't look all that great. But tonight I'm going full on with doing vidz at the bar using my DJM. It felt real stable last night for the 2hrs I was fooling with it. Pretty confident it will go smooth tonight
Djphenominal 7:01 PM - 20 February, 2009
You should be fine. I have used ME on my last 6 gigs running it with my denon set up and have not had any problems. With the pioneer rig i have only used it at home but abused the S#!t out of it and no problems.
Serato, Support
ChrisD 9:28 PM - 18 March, 2009
Quote:
MPEG2 in a DVD is on a chip you idiot.

Quote:

VJ Justin Allen,

Please state your thoughts and opinions without resorting to petty insults.
VJ Justin Allen 9:32 PM - 18 March, 2009
I have no problem with that Chris as long as it applies to both sides. Nik has been casting false information around these sites for the last week and nothing has been said about that.
nik39 9:38 PM - 18 March, 2009
Casting false information? I'll leave that open who is right or wrong. That's a different issue. But feel free to complain to the moderators if you think my information is wrong or misleading.

However, I am not calling you an idiot.
VJ Justin Allen 9:42 PM - 18 March, 2009
Quote:
*sigh* You do have no clue.

semantics I guess
nik39 9:45 PM - 18 March, 2009
I take offense on the term "idiot", not when you said "you don't have a fucking clue". That is my interpretation.
nik39 9:47 PM - 18 March, 2009
Because that would actually depend on your level of knowledge. I don't have a problem if you say to me "you don't have a fucking clue".
nik39 9:51 PM - 18 March, 2009
Oh, and if saying to you "you have no clue" is offensive.. why did you even do it?

Anyway, if you think that when I say "you do have no clue" after I EXPLICITLY and thoroughly explained multiple times that you are wrong (in an objective, factual way) - well then I think I have to apologize to you.
Demon 1:21 AM - 19 March, 2009
I love internet tuff talkers. Almost as funny as X Box Live kids.
Millz 2:38 AM - 19 March, 2009
um, I have one question. If Virtual DJ licensed mpeg2...(VDJ most likely being a small company compared to Serato (in the way of sales, etc)), why wouldnt serato license mpeg2? I dont think thats the primary reason fellas/ladies.
itchie 8:12 AM - 22 March, 2009
mpeg2 sucks. plain and simple. it's at ancient codec... and needs to be taken out back and shot. it's ok though, "vj" justin allen still rocks 8-tracks in his ride for their superior sound quality.
itchie 8:16 AM - 22 March, 2009
ps. justin, i think your style is rad... very karaoke chic. props.
Millz 1:59 PM - 22 March, 2009
all im sayin is...i have the $ to spend on the proper programs to encode to mp4, the problem is, no matter what program i use to encode/reincode, some type of issue occurs...and i never had any issues with mpeg2.
DJ Dan-E 2:02 AM - 23 March, 2009
I think the moderators need to open up a war board (something that was around in the bbs days back in the 80's) that way the users that want to fight with one another take it there. These last 10+ posts has nothing to do with the thread.
Karl W 2:05 PM - 23 March, 2009
Quote:
Quote:

You should not have any issues with that set-up.

I am on the same macbook and I have had no issues as yet!!!!