DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Effects Settings...whats some good settings. Lets stop complaining and find some fixes together.

dja_one 3:17 PM - 12 January, 2009
What up fellaz,

Like everybody else I have searched, complained, searched, complained, tried to figure it out, searched, complained, tried to figure it out, and complained. Then it came to me...we have all of these people on this forum and I am sure somebody has some solutions (settings) for the 57sl effects. For instance, my biggest complaint about the mixer is the flanger. I am a hip hop dj and I like to use flanger every now and again (especially on my transitions). Thats my style. Well needless to say...I haven't been using that effect since I bought my 57. I love the Pioneer flanger. It is fucking awesome with it's rich warm form fitting sound. This is the only reason I have not abandoned my pioneer mixer, yet. I have played with the settings of the 57 for 10's of hours to no avail. I am sure there is somebody on this forum that is an engineer and can tell us the closes settings possible to emulate the pioneer flanger.

Anyone?

For instance...I love that echo that Jazzy Jeff uses on for his transitions. That effect is from the Pioneer909. I have emulated it pretty well. I will admit I have cheated (I use 2 things) but it works. The hp echo set at hpcut 722ms, 70% feedback, .05s delay and 43% mix with my SP-404 set at 1/8 pattern, 60% feedback and volume adjusted accordingly. These 2 setting pressed on at the same time.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:25 PM - 13 January, 2009
Hello dja_one,

As far as the flanger try these settings:

Mix: 100%
Delay time: x16 (J1 knob)
Delay/depth: 0.0/11.6

That should be pretty close to the Pioneer flanger:)
djdannyd 11:49 PM - 15 January, 2009
I still use my EFX-1000 with my 57SL, simply cause I am too busy and it is practical for me to have the 1000 effects there on the fly. I don't have any issues with the flanger or echoing out of a song using my 57sl but the above settings are pretty close to what I use. Pitch echo and roll effect (stuttering) would be a cool effect on the 57....Zach any thought on those effects?
djdragon 2:39 AM - 18 January, 2009
Quote:
Hello dja_one,

Now can you emulate the Electrix Filter Queen w/24 pole filter setting ;)
Dj.Mojo 12:05 PM - 18 January, 2009
Hey Zach,
do you have more Effect "optimized" settings?
It´s pretty cool what the flanger sounds like now!
DJ FlowJay 12:48 PM - 18 January, 2009
yeah would be really nice
djbigz 3:28 AM - 19 January, 2009
Quote:
Hey Zach,
It´s pretty cool what the flanger sounds like now!

I would like to know this as well, thx!
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:51 PM - 21 January, 2009
djdannyd,

A pitch echo and stutter effect would be cool. I would also like to see a reverb added. I'll mention that to our engineers here at Rane and see what we might be able to do.

As for more optimized settings...

Anyone have a specific effect they can't seem to get the sound they want out of it?
djdannyd 8:23 PM - 21 January, 2009
Reverb would be nice, I still have my radio shack "Realistic" reverb machine in my closet. Those would be very, very nice additions. More than ping pong and space invaders....
Dj Ace 5:21 AM - 24 January, 2009
Sticky this!
Drapol1 3:33 PM - 25 January, 2009
I'd like to see presets for effects.
HYDRO MATIC 4:20 PM - 25 January, 2009
presets are one step closer to "AUTOMIX" .... :(
Drapol1 4:51 PM - 25 January, 2009
I mean that you could save your own settings for effects and even restoring factory defaults wouldn't reset that.
vio0633 2:54 AM - 29 January, 2009
Quote:
Hello dja_one,

Thanks Zach these settings sound real nice! Do you have anymore settings you wouldnt mind sharing?
C. William 6:41 AM - 30 January, 2009
Quote:
What up fellaz,

Like everybody else I have searched, complained, searched, complained, tried to figure it out, searched, complained, tried to figure it out, and complained. Then it came to me...we have all of these people on this forum and I am sure somebody has some solutions (settings) for the 57sl effects. For instance, my biggest complaint about the mixer is the flanger. I am a hip hop dj and I like to use flanger every now and again (especially on my transitions). Thats my style. Well needless to say...I haven't been using that effect since I bought my 57. I love the Pioneer flanger. It is fucking awesome with it's rich warm form fitting sound. This is the only reason I have not abandoned my pioneer mixer, yet. I have played with the settings of the 57 for 10's of hours to no avail. I am sure there is somebody on this forum that is an engineer and can tell us the closes settings possible to emulate the pioneer flanger.

Anyone?

For instance...I love that echo that Jazzy Jeff uses on for his transitions. That effect is from the Pioneer909. I have emulated it pretty well. I will admit I have cheated (I use 2 things) but it works. The hp echo set at hpcut 722ms, 70% feedback, .05s delay and 43% mix with my SP-404 set at 1/8 pattern, 60% feedback and volume adjusted accordingly. These 2 setting pressed on at the same time.

Quick threadjack...could you recommend some good Jazzy Jeff mixes to check out?
djdannyd 3:34 PM - 30 January, 2009
For the time being i still use my EFX-500 and am experimenting different settings on my 57sl.
AKIEM 6:20 PM - 30 January, 2009
Quote:
djdannyd,

A pitch echo and stutter effect would be cool. I would also like to see a reverb added. I'll mention that to our engineers here at Rane and see what we might be able to do.

Pitch echo [in key steps]
Bigchiliproductions 7:04 PM - 30 January, 2009
Vocoder effect to add vocal effets to tracks played ,or is it possibile to already simulate with available effects? anybody know?
AKIEM 8:16 PM - 30 January, 2009
haha - we need more auto-tune
nuwave_afro 9:52 PM - 1 February, 2009
Quote:
haha - we need more auto-tune

@akiem - hahaha word! bigchili jumping out the window with that one :)
nuwave_afro 11:49 AM - 7 October, 2009
Quote:
Hey Zach,

had to dig back to find this one, but BUMP
O.B.1 4:05 PM - 7 October, 2009
Do the effects processors automatically detect the track's BPM, (if overviews are done correctly) or is it necessary to "tap" the tempo with P1 everytime?
-mainly for echo and filter...
westell54 4:07 PM - 7 October, 2009
It automatically links but it's always off just slightly. They should fix it and make it more streamlined so people will actually use them more.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:41 PM - 7 October, 2009
Quote:
It automatically links but it's always off just slightly.

It doesn't automatically track the bpm.
You would need to load a song with a bpm value to the virtual deck, make sure your in group 6, and press either the B1 or B2 button (depending on what virtual deck you've loaded the song onto). Once done you will notice either a blue or orange lock in the effect insert.
Once the bpm is tracked the lock icon will stay there and lock the bpm of any other tracks loaded onto the virtual decks.
As for the effects bpm being off.... this might be true if your manually adding the bpm via the 'tap' feature but not true if you have SSL calculate your bpms using the 'analyze files' option.
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:10 PM - 7 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Hey Zach,

had to dig back to find this one, but BUMP

Here is another golden nugget that some of you may know...

I use the filter effects ALOT.

The key to using this as a typical filter is to make sure the depth is set to the lowest setting which will turn off the LFO and allow you to do a manual sweep.

Put a lowpass filter on effect insert 1.
Make sure there is a red border around the effect.
If there isn't, press the Deck button once to put the focus on the lowpass filter effect insert.

Now... turn on the effect with the B6 button and then press the B1 button to turn the effect on for the left virtual deck (also load and play a song on the left virtual deck).

Now use the J2 knob to turn the "Mix" up to 100% by moving the knob to the right towards the + sign. If the parameters around the J2 knob are grayed out press down on the knob into the mixer to 'enable' the knob. Once enabled you will see the green light turn on on your mixer below the J2 knob and the parameters around the knob will turn white.

Next, press the P2 knob down into the mixer.
You'll notice that if you press it once the 'resonance' of the filter will be highlighted and
if you press it again the 'depth' or 'freq' of the filter will be highlighted.
Move the 'resonance' to 1.5 by first clicking on the P2 knob to select 'resonance' and then turn the P2 knob to the right until you get to 1.5 in the resonance section of the effect insert.

Press the P2 knob again to adjust the 'depth' or 'freq'.
Once the 'freq' section is highlighted in the effect insert move the P2 knob all the way to the right.
This will stop the frequency from oscillating and you will see a very small white line in the 'freq' section as opposed to a wide white line.

Now you can manually control the frequency of the filter by moving the P1 knob from left to right.

Once the filter is setup in this way try adjusting the 'resonance' for different variations:)

These setting are good for all the filters.

Hope that helps some of you get more out of the 57 effects.
Remember to save the effect settings in the Hardware tab of setup!
Dj.Mojo 7:20 PM - 7 October, 2009
Thanks for the tutorial

Here is some stuff from Konix tutorials.

Might be helpful:

While using echo:

Don´t turn mix and feedback over 65%

While using hold echo:

Don´t turn mix over 50%
Don´t feedback over 74%
westell54 7:36 PM - 7 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
It automatically links but it's always off just slightly.

It doesn't automatically track the bpm.
You would need to load a song with a bpm value to the virtual deck, make sure your in group 6, and press either the B1 or B2 button (depending on what virtual deck you've loaded the song onto). Once done you will notice either a blue or orange lock in the effect insert.
Once the bpm is tracked the lock icon will stay there and lock the bpm of any other tracks loaded onto the virtual decks.
As for the effects bpm being off.... this might be true if your manually adding the bpm via the 'tap' feature but not true if you have SSL calculate your bpms using the 'analyze files' option.

Thanks for the corrections. I just double checked the BPM tracking and maybe I was seeing things before but it used to be about .5-1.5 BPM off from what SL had calculated it at (I only use the software, never manual tap). Anyway, now it's only .3 BPM off and it sounds fine so I'm cool for now. Now i'm gonna play around with it some more so, good night all. : )
latinblood2k1 3:08 AM - 8 October, 2009
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Once the 'freq' section is highlighted in the effect insert move the P2 knob all the way to the right.
This will stop the frequency from oscillating and you will see a very small white line in the 'freq' section as opposed to a wide white line.

Not sure if you`ve made a mistake here but i`ve noticed that if you move the p2 knob to the left thats when the white line will turn small the right only moves the actual line.
latinblood2k1 3:10 AM - 8 October, 2009
Someone correct me if im rong
Dj Ace 6:57 AM - 4 December, 2009
bump
ta2423 12:35 AM - 2 January, 2010
<~~~ Digging he KAOSS PAD 3 with effects on the fly with the push of the fx button.
SteadFast 1:15 AM - 13 January, 2010
is this the official thread for different effects settings? or is there another thread that can show me more?
Dj.Mojo 8:03 AM - 13 January, 2010
This is pretty much it.
Also check out this article
ssl-wiki.help.bootlegs.de
DJ FlowJay 6:06 PM - 26 January, 2010
i think when the beta becomes public,

this thread will roll on
Kevin aka DJ Climax 6:03 PM - 9 October, 2010
Nice thread dja_one. Yes I have to agree with some of the people that wrote on this thread. Can we find out what parameters/a template we could use to mimic some of the pioneers effects with the ttm57? Such as

Delay
Echo
Flanger
Filter
jbnyc 2:56 PM - 11 December, 2010
Dope thread! I'll share my effects later when i get home...
djchrischip 7:31 PM - 11 December, 2010
thanks jb
jbnyc 11:56 PM - 11 December, 2010
here are 6,hope someone else share their fx,its about the only thing we can share here besides friendship LOL

www.mediafire.com
paddymph 9:37 AM - 30 March, 2011
bump!
SteadFast 9:55 PM - 1 April, 2011
Quote:
here are 6,hope someone else share their fx,its about the only thing we can share here besides friendship LOL

www.mediafire.com

deleted
ta2423 11:01 PM - 1 April, 2011
SSL 2.2 = Variety of effect presets.
SteadFast 1:36 AM - 2 April, 2011
2.2 pretty stable? I think i'm on 1.7 still
DJ Half 2:20 AM - 2 April, 2011
It's scary to update
djchrischip 3:05 AM - 2 April, 2011
Quote:
2.2 pretty stable? I think i'm on 1.7 still

i am on 1.9.2
Dj Ace 2:53 PM - 2 April, 2011
stable for most
ta2423 5:01 PM - 2 April, 2011
Its been bullet proof for me. Upgrade and test for several hours and if it doesnt work for you go back.
djvtyme85 12:36 AM - 3 April, 2011
Quote:
Hello dja_one,

Thanks Zach this helped me out a whole lot because I could never find that "right" setting...was kinda getting me upset lol wooosha now I've got it just right

HOLD ECHO...whats a good setting for that...I'm trying to emulate the effect I had on my old Atus mixer (yea who remembers those?) Anyway any help is much appreciated Zach
4Ldesigns 1:27 PM - 21 July, 2012
@Zach - I've tried to set the above settings (Delay/Depth 0.0/11.6) on my mixer - However the 11.6 won't go any lower than 5.2? If I scroll P1 all the way to the right I get 11.6/0.0 which sounds very tinny, but when I scroll all the way to the left it won't go any lower than 0.0/5.2? Sounds much better, but just wondering why I can't get it to go all the way?

Probably something stupid, as I've never even bothered to look into using my mixers effects until tonight.
4Ldesigns 1:42 PM - 21 July, 2012
Haha, shit. Newbie post for sure. All good, figured it out. Just had to push down on P2 to swap between Depth & Delay. Embarrassing.